Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2007, 08:19 AM   #1
SP4Me
Demi-God

Default Favorite Billy Quotes

I'm sorry if this has been done recently... I did a quick check and didn't find anything so I figured I'd start a new thread.

What are some of your favorite quotes by Billy?

One of mine is: "It's a Backstreet Boy world, and at the end of the day, you just want to go home and kill yourself."

Old 02-18-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
Saih
Pledge

I think its been done more than once on here before, but anyway

"As a 28 year old whos lived long enough to know the difference, i know now that the feelings i felt at 16 were not necessarily correct.
But however overly dramatic, the desperation and hopelessness i felt at 16 was my reality."

"Ten fucking years I've known this guy (James Iha), and I just want to drop kick his head."

Old 02-18-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
pete
Apocalyptic Poster

I cant remember the whole thing I have it on Cd somewhere, I think its the interview where Jimmy's voice has gone, but the quote is the few lines in which Billy tells us how he names his songs.

I'm sure somebody here remembers it.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:04 AM   #4
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

"My Mother came to a Smashing Pumpkins gig once, and I was wearing a dress. She was very upset. She said, 'Everyone's gonna think youre a fag.' I said,'Well, they already think I'm an asshole.' "

Last edited by Cool As Ice Cream : 02-18-2007 at 02:37 PM.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:15 AM   #5
SP4Me
Demi-God

I said your favorite quote by Billy, not your favorite quote by yourself...

Old 02-18-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
BumbleBeeMouth
Apocalyptic Poster

this one

"My Mother came to a Smashing Pumpkins gig once, and I was wearing a dress. She was very upset. She said, 'Everyone's gonna think your a fag.' I said,'Well, they already think I'm an asshole.' "

Old 02-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #7
Yorda
Amish Rake Fighter

"That's not a dress. It's a Gaultier."

Old 02-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
Yorda
Amish Rake Fighter

this one is pretty good: "Musicians who come from very successful bands and then start a solo career usually suck"

Old 02-18-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
Phoenix Down
Apocalyptic Poster

Dear Beautiful Souls,

Happy New Year to you! May 2007 prove to be a blessed year in every respect and every way...I send you every ounce of love I have in my heart...May the grace of Mother be with you...This year for us will see a new album of songs and a world tour of tears, and we truly look forward to playing again for fans young, old, and missed...So yes, tunes are being dusted off, while others are being asked to kindly submit to an upstart millennia and all it's asking...In our daily prayers, we send out the signal that all who should hear us come forward and be seen, and by extension, heard...when we opened the lid on this music box, we were pleasantly suprised at the music that played: familiar yet unknown, welcoming but not sentimental...and that is all we can ask...God has absolutely blessed us in every respect...for many years there were private laments about opportunities missed and hearts so broken, but no more...we have turned the page and moved on, from places and faces, names and games...this age calls for resolve and certitude, and the fire within to burn ever bright...if that fire should be connected to absolutely deafening guitars, thundering drums, and the melodies of snakes, then so be it! We love you! If you are meant to be with us, find us!! We have need, and our arms are ever-open...although I can say definitively we don't need jugglers...but we do need ???? (what?) what do we need!
With a smile and a wink,
billy corgan

Old 02-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #10
Beta
Pledge

Sook-Yin: "You originally had 40 songs you recorded for the album, you eventually widdled it down to 15, what was the criteria for deciding which songs made the album"
Billy: "One, is it dumb enough. Two, is it loud enough and... do we care! It's like we had this light... the lighter rating. What are the chances of the lighter being raise during this song, something like Sunshowers-Randrops is a 6, where-as With Every Light is a 10. Okay, Everlasting Gaze is a zero because you'll be too busy with the fist in the air, so under the fist that's a 10."

Billy: We were the reaction against the reaction.

Interviewer: "so, were any pumpkins actually harmed in the making if this album?"
Billy: "congratulations, you just asked the no. 1 most stupid question, you win a free autographed nothing!"

Billy: "Here we have my sitar."
Manny: "Oh, are you using this a lot on the record?"
Billy: "No, we just think its cool to show people that we have a sitar - in fact so cool that we cant get it open" - interview with Manny Chevrolet (Vieuphoria)

"My mother came to a Smahing Pumpkins gig once, and I was wearing a dress. She was very upset. She said, 'Everyones going to think your a fag. ' I said,well they already think I'm an asshole."

"Destruction is a true sign of devotion. As I always tell my girlfriend when she threatens to kill me. 'You should kill me and it would tell me that you love me."

"Well, I had this really traumatic experience when I was fifteen. I got shrunk and I had to live in a thimble, and let me tell you that it was hard. The food was plentiful and all, but the attack of the rats got to be a bit much. It came out of the experiences of that time." - on inspiration for the song "Stumbleine"

"This isn't a reaction against a negative world, it's a response to a negative world" -Billy Corgan on Adore

"If we ever need to add another member we'll give you a call."
(Vieuphoria vhs)

"Of course you can't understand anything i'm saying, but that's cool cause i'm still saying it."
Before Tonight, Tonight on the Plaenen Tivoli (Copenhagen, Denmark) bootleg

"I've finally found jesus...he was behind the cauth the whole time."

"Don't judge yourself by other peoples standards. You'll always
loose."

Jay Leno:
"So why's the band splitting up?"
Billy Corgan:
"Comedy doesnt pay."

"We live in a plastic world
and we are all plastic people
And they want to put you in a plastic box
And put you on a plastic shelf and say
GO AWAY, GO AWAY, ROCK IS DEAD!
But I am still here, so Fuck YOU!"
Billy Corgan/april 19-2000

Interviewer: "You've lost all your hair, are you undergoing chemo therapy?"
Billy: "Do you understand the words fuck off?"

"Its a Backstreet Boy world, and at the end of the day, you just want to go home and kill yourself"

"I'm not in the Smashing Pumpkins anymore, I'm just Billy"
- Billy Corgan to a fan after Metro Show -

"Stay in school. Lie to your teachers, but stay in school"

"Are you ready to rock?..crowd cheers..Well you are in the wrong place"

"We come, we saw, we kicked fucking ass - thats the way I want us to be remembered"

"If practice makes perfect and nobody's perfect, then why practice?"

"For a 6-foot-3 guy with no hair and a whiny voice, I´ve done all right"

"'Disarm' is about my childhood and how I turned into an asshole."

"You know where I got the title for "Mayonaise"? I looked in my refrigerator."

"I'm glad that I'm such a good rhymer,
Better than being a social climber,
Just because I'm a bit brighter,
Than some fucking writer."
-Fax Billy Corgan sent to a reporter who said SP sucked.

"In 1991, we were competing with the real deal. Now we're competing with Nirvana mimics."

"Ten fucking years I've known this guy (James Iha), and I just want to drop kick his head."

"When I think of famous, I think of serial killers or politicians.
I think being in a band is just an excuse to not work."

"Say you write a song about a chandelier, and the chandelier gives off light. And the light is the color red and red reminds you of the color you're not supposed to wear around a bull. So you name the song 'Cow'."

"The whole point of the Smashing Pumpkins was to blow everybody away, so it didn't make sense to be funny at the same time. We were too busy trying to pummel your fucking head in."

"We can look you in the eye and talk to you about life, heart, love, rock 'n' roll, whatever, but we do not have the moral authority to tell people how to vote or what to do to their bodies. We're just a rock band."

"I was a jock but I wasn't on the sports team. I played guitar, but I didn't hang with the stoners.
I just couldn't hang in any way, and when you're young and you can't hang, you oppose.
So I was anti-everything. Fuck you all."

"I think it's probably because we didn't do dumb things like,
'Wave your hands in the air' that we suffered a little, but I would rather suffer and not be a fool."

"On an idealistic level, doing a double conceptual album is totally uncool, but I'm gonna pull it off."

"It could have been any vegetable."

"It's The Smashing Pumpkins. That was my stupid idea."

"For, like, two years, every interview was, and occasionally still is, 'Don't you guys hate each other?' "

"The title of a song is like the wrapping on a present."

"Was it a hit song? The answer is no. Did it have a video? No. Do people cite it as their favorite song? No. Do they scream for it at concerts? No. But does it mean something to me? Yes. Would I do it again? Yes."

"Life is everything and nothing all at once."

"We're the worst band in America... That makes us the best."

"We weren't like mates who decided to form a band. The other three met me because they were interested in being in the band that I was starting."

"People act like Nirvana invented grunge; they just took it and personified it."

"Most musicians suck."

"I have a very down opinion of musicians. Because most musicians' heads aren't on straight. It's usually about technique, when it should be about creativity."

"See, we don't normally play this song; we thought it would be kinda fun to play it, but obviously we don't know our own song, so... We'll just play some Bush or Stone Temple Pilots or something... [band plays short "Smells Like Teen Spirit" riff] ... Usually we wait until the end of the concert to apologize for sucking, but I will apologize now. I'm very sorry -- we suck."

"I cut all my fucking hair off, thats what i did. It seems like a very obvious thing, but this idiot can't seem to see it," - during a concert after someone asked where his hair went

"I said rat in a cage, not monkey from a fucking wire." - after seeing a guy hanging off the balcony after "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" duing a concert

"We are proud to be the first full services alternative rock band. What does that mean to you? You want service, we'll give it to you....If you want to hear an Oasis song, we'll play one." - during a concert

"There's been someone up here screaming 'Landslide' for the whole show... Normally we don't play 'Landslide,' but on occasion we've been known to play it... So since this person's been screaming it all show long... That just about kills the chances of me playing it tonight, or ever again." - during a concert

Q: Was the band lacking something without Jimmy then?
Billy: "We noticed the absence of a maniacal laugh."

"When I watch a puppet show, I'm not watching the puppets -- I'm trying to see who's pulling the strings."

"And you might ask yourself, 'What the fuck kind of concert is this anyway?'" "And you might ask yourself, 'Who the fuck is that guy onstage?'" "And you might ask yourself, 'Where is my mommy tonight?'" "And you might ask yourself, 'Why is this man screaming?'"
- Billy during "Once in a Lifetime"

"Do you love me? Do you really care? Is it my good looks? Or my long hair?" "From a faraway land, cold Chicago. Chicago by way of Canada."
-Billy Corgan during xyu

james: "snoop doggy dogg! snooop doogggy dawwwgg!"
billy: "yeah, y'all don't know james wrote all of snoop dog's lyrics... biaatch!!"

"god bless you motherfuckers"
towards the end of the Roxy show on the Arising tour. 4-24-99

BC: I got three words for you...We're taking it to the streets.
BW: Ok, Billy...this record is a 2 cd set...
JC: That's five words! (all laughing)
BW: ...it's a two record set...
BC: I know Jimmy, it's a joke.

BC: Um, we decided to do the double album long before we ever actually set out to do it.
D: Long before we even started the band.
JC: We talked about it long before we thought we could do it.
BW: A double album is every band's dream, I hear.
BC: It was in the DNA.

BW: ...for their celebratory record releae concert here in Chicago. The record is Mellon Colie and the Infinite SAdness, the song you just heard is Hereis no why. What does that title mean?
BC: Don't know.
BW: Uh..ok.
JC: It used to be No, is here why.
BW: and just got mixed up in the transcription?
JC: Right.

"Alright. Enough of all that gloom shit. Now it's time to have a party! We are an internationally known party band. When you want to smile and have a good time you think of us! Cause we get the funk out." "We're gonna hail satan, make him come around. We're gonna kick his ass... and ask him why there's so many bad metal bands. Yes Satan. Whyyyyy? Satan, whyyyyyy? Whyyy? If you're the all powerful devil why can't you make better metal music? Whyyyy? Because evil should be evil, and metal should be metal. You know what I'm saying?" "Oh yeah. I tricked ya. I trick Jimmy all the time. [laughs]" (after billy screams andJimmy misinterprets it as leading into a heavier part of the song.

"I might like you better if you wore pleather." "I might like you better if you hadn't fucked so many guys." "I might like you better if we slept together...well i guess that's ok because I fucked your mother about 10 years ago...and just like you she was a ho, a ho hoho...merry christmas. hehe."
-Billy Corgan during "Never Say Never"

"be careful what you say but be really careful what you don't say"

"This is a little song I wrote about the feeling that you get when you really are hungry, when you're really hungry ,ya know like in the middle of the night when you wake up and you really want a Twinkie. That's what this song is about. I hope you can follow me it's kinda deep. Let's take a ride."
-Billy explains X.Y.U.

James: "I like that guy in the multi-colored afro out there...I've seen you out there, you're a genius. We'd like to dedicate this next song to the multi-colored afro man."
Billy: "When i wrote this song I was in love with a man who wore a mulit-colored afro, and that's why this is so special right at this time."
James: "Was that in Paris?"
Billy: "It was actually Barcelona." (starts Disarm)

Billy: "So that's James, that's D'arcy, that's Jimmy, and I'm Fred. I'm Billy's evil twin...Billy would have liked to have been here tonight but he was too busy being sad."
James: "Too busy being sad and listening to 17 seconds."

(1999) Billy: "James, would you like to tell a joke?"
James: "Umm... So, this grasshopper goes into a bar and says: 'I'd like to have a beer.' Bartender says: 'Don't you wanna have a drink that's named after you?' And he said: 'Oh!? You mean John?' Hah! Ladies and gentlemen, 8 years of showbusiness, right down the toilet! Now this next song, I hope you're really gonna like, and it's called Muzzle. Let's all rock."

BILLY: "Wow...you're a rowdy bunch of motherfuckers! I am so glad we are only playin accoustic tonight...things may get out of hand! (crowd boos). What..you can't take a joke here?? We were here not that long ago..you could take a joke back then! I seem to remember our lollapalooza set being VERY funny! (crowd cheers)
(then they play today)
BILLY: "Oh yeah...whats this place called??? (crowd yells SOMA)
JAMES (in a screetchy voice) "I cant hear you!!"
BILLY: "Soma??"
DARCY: "I think they said..something laundry.
BILLy: "Jack's Laundry??" Is that what this place is called??"
DARCY: "No...thats what this song is called...Jack's Laundry!"
(Then they play Soma)

JAMES: We would now like to thank the naked man!
DARCY: Now thats show biz folks!!! It doesn't get anymore exciting than that!
JAMES: The naked mas is a genius!! To show himself....a free man....free of...clothes!
We SALUTE YOU naked man!!!

BILLY: Umm...we'd like to play this song called XYU....normally when we come to Germany the interviewers always say "vat does this song mean??" and so they say "vat do you mean by xyu...are you trying to say x....yu? or xy.....u?? which is it....
JAMES: YES!! YES!!
BILLY: "which is it?? and I say...I dont know!
JAMES: aaaaaaaahhh!! aaaah!!
BILLY: there is no meaning..but they say "but there must be a meaning...or you wouldn't have given the title XYU" and I say no..there is no meaning..you dont understand..and they say "but there must be a meaning.....you are lying to me again!"
JAMES: YES!!
BILLY: so.....this goes out to all you liers out there!!!
(then they start XYU)
JAMES: YESS!!! ON YOUR FUCKING FEET...COMEON!!!

You see all those empty seats? That's not who we play for. We play for you. I want you to remember, we won't forget you, so don't you forget about us!"
Those were Mr. Billy Corgan's final words as a Pumpkin. At their final show at the Cabaret Metro in Chicago, Billy said these heartthought words for all the fans that had stayed for all 27 minutes of the ultimate Pumpkin jam song, "Silver****".

westernavenue/gc-foren (01.05)
...Loki Cat was the encore, so when Jimmy and company came back out on stage, Billy took off his hat and neared the stage. Jimmy went to the microphone and announced, "We'd like to bring on a special guest, and my best friend, Billy Corgan."
Billy took stage and taped a self-written lyric sheet onto the speaker infront of him, which was also in front of my girlfriend. Loki Cat is a light, ethereal beautiful song. Billy spent the song singing with his eyes closed and turning around and laughing with Jimmy. It was a really great moment for the two guys. After the song, Jimmy came up and hugged Billy and thanked everyone for coming out...

"The fourth wall is down and deserves to be down, because all you are looking for in others is yourself."

Old 02-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #11
SP4Me
Demi-God

LOL. I'm sorry I asked!

Old 02-18-2007, 12:46 PM   #12
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

"I might like you better if you wore pleather." "I might like you better if you hadn't fucked so many guys." "I might like you better if we slept together...well i guess that's ok because I fucked your mother about 10 years ago...and just like you she was a ho, a ho hoho...merry christmas. hehe."
-Billy Corgan during "Never Say Never"

what the fuck????

Old 02-18-2007, 01:00 PM   #13
j u n e
Apocalyptic Poster

"For a 6-foot-3 guy with no hair and a whiny voice, I've done all right."

"I've become the guy who's like a complaining, whining neurotic."

"Why do I need 1,000 people validating my existance?"

"My Mother came to a Smashing Pumpkins gig once, and I was wearing a dress. She was very upset. She said, 'Everyone's gonna think youre a fag.' I said,'Well, they already think I'm an asshole.' "

Old 02-18-2007, 01:07 PM   #14
Iamone6942
Ownz

I like the one where he called Sharon Osbourne a pig.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #15
j u n e
Apocalyptic Poster

"There's a really a cold, cold side to my personality that I'm not really comfortable with. I'm constantly dealing with that side of my personality versus my overly sentimental side.. There's just a side that's a real motherfucker; it's nothing I want to admit or even look at. It's where a lot of my strength lies. It's been the part of me that's been able to steel my spine against situations that probably would have broken a lot of people, or caused them to jump off the loop."

"The title of a song is like the wrapping on a present."

"'Disarm' is about when I became an asshole."

Old 02-18-2007, 02:15 PM   #16
e10sc
Demi-God

What song is this referring to?

"Was it a hit song? The answer is no. Did it have a video? No. Do people cite it as their favorite song? No. Do they scream for it at concerts? No. But does it mean something to me? Yes. Would I do it again? Yes."

Old 02-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #17
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Therapist: I hear you've been having some problems with your band, and I wonder, would you like to tell me about them?

Billy: Just let me make this analogy. You wanna go to the circus, and to get into the circus it costs you five ? pence.

Therapist: Yeah.

Billy: So, you stand in line, you don't have five pence, but you really wanna go to the circus. So someone comes along and says, "Well, I'll take you in the circus and I'll pay the five pence, but you gotta pay me back later." So, you go in the circus, they take you out. "Oh, OK, well, when you gonna pay me back?" "I don't know. I'll get around to it sooner or later." ? That's the story of the band.

[Therapist shoots look at camera.]

Old 02-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #18
???
Minion of Satan

"let's have a warm round of applause for the dancers...they're beautiful men...and if i wasn't celibate, i'd love them all"

Old 02-18-2007, 03:25 PM   #19
dudehitscar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by e10sc
What song is this referring to?

Spaceboy

Old 02-18-2007, 03:43 PM   #20
ZWANPHONY
Apocalyptic Poster

check my profile/signature

Old 02-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #21
e10sc
Demi-God

But does Billy like Ketchup?

Also, thanks for clearing up the Spaceboy one dudehitscar.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:59 PM   #22
zsp77
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by j u n e
"For a 6-foot-3 guy with no hair and a whiny voice, I've done all right."

"I've become the guy who's like a complaining, whining neurotic."

"Why do I need 1,000 people validating my existance?"

Can we please stop posting the one about his mom and the dress? This is the third fucking time someone's put it on this thread, so the idiot count is now at 2.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #23
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

man this guy's really pretty immature and foul mouthed isn't he

Old 02-18-2007, 04:19 PM   #24
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19...r/iambilly.jpg

Old 02-18-2007, 04:25 PM   #25
deadbirdie
Pledge

"Fuck off"

- Billy to me

Old 02-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #26
jazzpluslove
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenewRevive
Therapist: I hear you've been having some problems with your band, and I wonder, would you like to tell me about them?

Billy: Just let me make this analogy. You wanna go to the circus, and to get into the circus it costs you five ? pence.

Therapist: Yeah.

Billy: So, you stand in line, you don't have five pence, but you really wanna go to the circus. So someone comes along and says, "Well, I'll take you in the circus and I'll pay the five pence, but you gotta pay me back later." So, you go in the circus, they take you out. "Oh, OK, well, when you gonna pay me back?" "I don't know. I'll get around to it sooner or later." ? That's the story of the band.

[Therapist shoots look at camera.]
Its "pounds" not pence!!

Old 02-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #27
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzpluslove
Its "pounds" not pence!!

are you a retard

Old 02-18-2007, 04:37 PM   #28
???
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzpluslove
Its "pounds" not pence!!

Old 02-18-2007, 06:55 PM   #29
ZWANPHONY
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by e10sc
But does Billy like Ketchup?

Also, thanks for clearing up the Spaceboy one dudehitscar.
i'd say it's pretty obvious. didn't you hear zwan's gospel?

he LOOOOOOOOOOVES THE KETCHAWP.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:16 AM   #30
burnt njal
Demi-God

"take the knot"