Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Talking Pajo's Dead Child record to be produced by Brad Wood

I didn't know he is such an admirer of Adore production.

Adore kicked-off producer joining another kicked-off-by-Corgan member to make a metal record, haha

Old 10-11-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

The last few Pajo records have been amazing.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
croPUMPKINS
Ownz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwan

Old 10-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
andrewface
Apocalyptic Poster

wrong forum

Old 10-13-2007, 02:36 AM   #5
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

didn't this guy make an album on his laptop because he's so goddamn indie?

Old 10-13-2007, 02:48 AM   #6
mistle
bonnie stars

and yet it sounds better than billy's 300 guitars

Old 10-13-2007, 03:25 AM   #7
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

Wonder if he'll sleep with his girlfriend as well..

Old 10-13-2007, 03:27 AM   #8
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
The last few Pajo records have been amazing.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:32 AM   #9
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistle
and yet it sounds better than billy's 300 guitars
if you're saying its better than zeitgeist then you need to re-evaluate...but this time, try it with your head removed from your ass.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:32 AM   #10
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac
Wonder if he'll sleep with his girlfriend as well..
too many pronouns.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:01 AM   #11
mistle
bonnie stars

i'm saying it sounds better than zeitgeist. which is obvious since zeitgeist sounds like shit, but what i mean is i don't see what's strange about making an album on a laptop

but of course it's better than zeitgeist, are you kidding?

Old 10-13-2007, 04:31 AM   #12
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

yea, i have no problems with making music on a laptop either.

but better than zeitgeist? no way.

Last edited by davin : 10-13-2007 at 04:49 AM.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:36 AM   #13
darcyismybass
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: makin movies, makin songs and fightin 'round the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin
better than zeitgeist? no way. [
Like In Rainbows? That's an emphatic yes.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:48 AM   #14
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

In Rainbows is good.

but too early to say its better than Zeitgeist...though so far i think its somewhat lacking, but i want to hear it more...as well as hear the material live since i find most radiohead production to be too flat. but HTTT > Zeitegeist...got no problem saying that. nor do i have a problem saying In Rainbows > Year Zero.

and just so you know where i'm coming from

Top 3 SP: G, MCIS, SD
Top 3 Radiohead: OK C, HTTT, ...tie between Kid A & The Bends.
Top 3 NIN: Broken, PHM, Downward Spiral

Old 10-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #15
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

fuck off davin

Old 10-13-2007, 08:58 AM   #16
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

i can think of very few albums as bad as zeitgeist that have been important to me in some way

Old 10-13-2007, 04:42 PM   #17
RopeyLopey
Braindead

you guys have amazing skills to derail threads. Why would you discuss In Rainbows in a thread like this?

How about discussing the fact that after Corgan fired Brad Wood for assumed total incapability, dude got nominated for Grammy in 1999 for the next record after Adore he was working on?

Old 10-13-2007, 05:08 PM   #18
pumpkinxyu
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RopeyLopey
you guys have amazing skills to derail threads. Why would you discuss In Rainbows in a thread like this?

How about discussing the fact that after Corgan fired Brad Wood for assumed total incapability, dude got nominated for Grammy in 1999 for the next record after Adore he was working on?
the grammy's are complete bullshit. not to piss on anyone's parade, but to a large degree grammy nominations (and the actual winners, to an even larger extent) are largely determined by how cooperative producers/artists are with the grammy committee and the riaa. red hot chili peppers won album of the year last year for an unlistenable double-disc piece of shit. hey oh, listen what i say oh. how many nominations did rick rubin land after making himself extremely available to the grammy committee? the pumpkins would probably be grammy-less if they hadn't played in '96. let's have a big party where seats are ridiculously expensive, paid for by nominees and guests, and everyone who votes is a cog in the music industry and will want to get in good with their friends/bosses. music couldn't be much less relevant. does that mean good records don't win sometimes? of course not. but there are certainly less valid factors than quality that come into play. and just what does a grammy win signify for an artist (and their label), other than the tremendous honor? $$$. albums that are hanging to the bottom of the charts, or even albums that have fallen off the charts, will get very significant sales boosts after a win. U2 got that major sales boosts two years in a row on their last record, not that they have any friends in the industry. i love U2, and they deserve all the recognition in the world, but it doesn't make a grammy award any more significant.

brad wood has worked on some good records. adore is a masterpiece and even though billy's complaints sound more than legitimate, i'm not going to completely dismiss brad wood's abilities. obviously billy recognized something positive in his work as well or he wouldn't have chosen him in the first place. (brad wood also produced a great record by a lesser-known band..."Vertigo" by Jump, Little Children, and they had nasty things to say about him as well, including his tendency to name drop).

as for dave pajo, he's worked on two good records. one is spiderland. MSOTS is the other. and that would have sounded the same whether he played on it or not. and you wanna talk about an exciting live show...papa m. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. lies bored off my soul.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:18 PM   #19
silvermachina
Demi-God

David Pajo is uninspiring and overrated. I don't understand the fascination with the man.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:22 PM   #20
RopeyLopey
Braindead

thanks for making a relevant post to the topic.

Brad Wood - yeah - it's funny that no matter how much shit Corgan talked about Wood, the truth remains he produced the best songs on Adore, and even played the organ on Blank Page.

Pajo - how did you like Whatever, Mortal - hell, even Corgan was recommending it during Zwan shows

Old 10-13-2007, 06:10 PM   #21
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

As big a fan of the Pumpkin's history as I am, what exactly happened between Smashing Pumpkins and Brad Wood. Are there any quotes about him form the band?

Davin, how can anyone say that Hail to the Thief is the better than Zeitgeist, let alone the best Radiohead album? I thought Hail to the Thief was one of the most boring uninspired records I have ever heard. I usually agree with your opinions even when others don't (I, like you defend Zeitgeist passionately) yet I really do not like Hail to the Thief.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #22
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs
As big a fan of the Pumpkin's history as I am, what exactly happened between Smashing Pumpkins and Brad Wood. Are there any quotes about him form the band?
there was some bashing from Corgan's side in his Revelations entries for Adore time from TFE promo campaign.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #23
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

WAs Brad Wood the guy that tried to "mold" Corgan? It never ceases to amaze me what a douche Corgan was during the Adore-era. Between things like that and Corgan whining on CNN that it was the fans' fault for Adore not selling I was really embarrassed to be a fan of his band.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:37 PM   #24
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Quote:
WAs Brad Wood the guy that tried to "mold" Corgan? It never ceases to amaze me what a douche Corgan was during the Adore-era. Between things like that and Corgan whining on CNN that it was the fans' fault for Adore not selling I was really embarrassed to be a fan of his band.
yeah, that's him, although the 'molding' thing came from a different interview I think.

I am not saying Brad Wood is the best man in the world and everything people say about him is not true, but surely it is interesting those 5-6 songs they did together and that made it to the album are arguably superior to what Corgan managed to do with Flood afterwards.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:34 PM   #25
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistle
i don't see what's strange about making an album on a laptop
Its pretentious horseshit, that's what it is. "Ooohhh, I'm so outside of the mainstream I use a laptop!" Seriously, fuck right off, join the goddamn human race, stop being a douchebag, and make albums like regular people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #26
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly
and make albums like regular people.
so your idea is most of the regular people, like you and me, go to studio when they want to record a song?
Didn't he actually make the album/music like regular people do?

I also somehow missed him running around, shouting' Look, I did this album on the laptop, i am so cool - buy it!', and I am kinda paying attention to what's going on with him. Have you actually listened to that album we are talking about?

Old 10-14-2007, 11:46 PM   #27
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:

Davin, how can anyone say that Hail to the Thief is the better than Zeitgeist, let alone the best Radiohead album? I thought Hail to the Thief was one of the most boring uninspired records I have ever heard. I usually agree with your opinions even when others don't (I, like you defend Zeitgeist passionately) yet I really do not like Hail to the Thief.
well, for now its how i feel. and just to be clear, HTTT is my 2nd fav Radiohead album, not the top.

truth is i was completely blown away by seeing Radiohead live back in 2003. they primarily played HTTT material that night, and for me that show gave tons of new life into that album for me. i've never thought the same about it since, and love listening to it from start to finish.

so in speaking about these albums as a whole , how they flow start to finish, my emotional connection with them, how much i have ha a chance to absorb them, etc. i still think at this moment in time HTTT is more well rounded to my ears than zeitegeist, due mostly to the last two tracks of Z which make me feel like things have become derailed.

i love tracks 1-10 passionately and don't doubt a year from now if i'm saying the opposite in comparison to HTTT....but having Z for 3 months vs. HTTT for much longer there is still some "soaking in" to go through with Z.

for example, i haven't had the opportunity yet to put it away, and then rediscover it later on...(which i think is a true test of an album's greatness).....its just too damn early to rank it that high, for me.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:53 PM   #28
exactlythesame
Minion of Satan

Location: I thought what I'd do is I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
Unhappy

Quote:
he seemed pretty level headed while recording it

too bad his ego got bruised

Old 10-15-2007, 08:35 PM   #29
East Rocket
Ownz

Dead Child are good. Saw them back in March and talked to Pajo. I'm looking forward to this.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:59 PM   #30
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
so in speaking about these albums as a whole , how they flow start to finish, my emotional connection with them, how much i have ha a chance to absorb them, etc. i still think at this moment in time HTTT is more well rounded to my ears than zeitegeist, due mostly to the last two tracks of Z which make me feel like things have become derailed.
You're saying that the last two tracks of Zeitgeist "derailed" the album, yet I thought you loved Pomp and Circumstances?