Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 02-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #31
Debaser
ghost

You, I, nor that joke tennesse group have any clue exactly how much sacrifice Al Gore makes. But just reading his electricity bill doesn't give you any context or information that can gives you the qualifiers to judge whether Al Gore's house is too big. It's funny how you can make these attacks when you barely, barely know what you are talking about. You've only seen his electricity bill. Let's get the electricity bills of all other houses of the same size or people of the same wealth and then you can actually make a fair comparison to see if Al Gore sacrifices enough for you by your sudden environmental standards.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:29 PM   #32
Debaser
ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist
I'm not the one on an Oscar winning global environmental crusade going around telling people to be more energy efficient or whatever. I'm just saying if I were, then I'd probably go a little further to save the earth than merely making sure my own extravagent energy use had no ill effects before I go around asking regular middle class people to turn down their thermostats and use clothelines to dry their clothes.
With that logic, if you were so gung ho about the Iraq war, why didn't you sign up for the military then years ago?

Old 02-28-2007, 08:41 PM   #33
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaser
You, I, nor that joke tennesse group have any clue exactly how much sacrifice Al Gore makes. But just reading his electricity bill doesn't give you any context or information that can gives you the qualifiers to judge whether Al Gore's house is too big. It's funny how you can make these attacks when you barely, barely know what you are talking about. You've only seen his electricity bill. Let's get the electricity bills of all other houses of the same size or people of the same wealth and then you can actually make a fair comparison to see if Al Gore sacrifices enough for you by your sudden environmental standards.
This is the same as saying "rich guys drive nice cars! Nice cars get crappy mileage! Other rich guys get crappy mileage too!"

The point is that Gore is telling everyone else they need to "conserve" and "be responsible" while he's living it up like a baller and not a care in the world

Old 02-28-2007, 08:45 PM   #34
Debaser
ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son
This is the same as saying "rich guys drive nice cars! Nice cars get crappy mileage! Other rich guys get crappy mileage too!"

The point is that Gore is telling everyone else they need to "conserve" and "be responsible" while he's living it up like a baller and not a care in the world
You keep making the same mistake, you right wingers just can't get it through your heads. How do you know that Gore doesn't conserve? Have you seen a fair comparison? No, you haven't. Gore already uses more expensive green energy and has stated on numerous times how he's done stuff like change all his lights to fluorescent bulbs, flys commercial when possible, and shit like that. So you just coming in claiming that he makes no sacrifice "living it up like a baller with no care in the world" is just completely made up bullshit straight out of your ass.

It's like me deducing from a picture of you that you must be a lazy fat dumb fuck. But I could be wrong, you might have a medical condition and not lazy at all, it might have been a bad picture -- the point is I need more information in order to make it a fair judgement that you're a lazy. fat. dumb. fuck.

Last edited by Debaser : 02-28-2007 at 09:01 PM.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:01 PM   #35
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3
And what exactly is wrong with this? Unless you're one of the holdouts that still doesn't believe in global warming that is.
There's nothing wrong with it in and of itself. I just think its annoying that someone who all but epitomizes the environmental movement doesn't lead by example by doing all that he can to help.

Quote:
Oh come on. Unless Al and Tipper have a dozen kids living with them that no one knows about, there's no context out there that is going to make a 20 room mansion seem modest. But that's not the point. Like I said, I don't care how big his house his. As far as I'm concerned, people can live in as big a house as they want and use as much power as they can afford. Al Gore may use a lot less energy than the mansion across the street. It doesn't matter. The point is that he is making a big deal of going around and preaching energy efficiency to the masses as though its a pressing matter, but yet his own actions don't appear to match up to that.

Quote:
With that logic, if you were so gung ho about the Iraq war, why didn't you sign up for the military then years ago?
I've never asked anybody to go fight, or sacrifice anything for the war effort. I was just supportive of what others were undertaking. Gore, on the other hand, has a site full of helpful tips telling people how to cut back on things or pay extra for things, etc. to reduce environmental impact.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:04 PM   #36
Debaser
ghost

Quote:
energy efficiency
Maybe you should look up the definition of efficiency. He asks you to do little things to be more efficient. He doesn't ask you to sacrifice or turn your whole lifestyle upside for the environment.

Last edited by Debaser : 02-28-2007 at 09:10 PM.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #37
Debaser
ghost

Quote:
Gore may use a lot less energy than the mansion across the street. It doesn't matter. The point is that he is making a big deal of going around and preaching energy efficiency to the masses as though its a pressing matter, but yet his own actions don't appear to match up to that.
Please, point to me on Gore's site or preachings where Gore says "DON'T GET A HOUSE THAT HAS MORE ROOMS THAN YOU HAVE FAMILY MEMBERS". Show me that. Or even something more innocuous like "think about downsizing your home if you can...trade in your 3 bedroom house for a more efficient studio apartment." If he had anything like that, then you could maybe, maybe, maybe, actually have a point.

Last edited by Debaser : 02-28-2007 at 09:16 PM.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:21 PM   #38
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

I was glad this was seemingly too stupid to be debated on here, but looks like the bar is lowering.

Quote:
doesn't lead by example by doing all that he can to help.
By who's standards? Because he doesnt pay off the carbon footprint of others?
-------
Responding to Drudge’s attack, Vice President Gore’s office told ThinkProgress:

1) Gore’s family has taken numerous steps to reduce the carbon footprint of their private residence, including signing up for 100 percent green power through Green Power Switch, installing solar panels, and using compact fluorescent bulbs and other energy saving technology.

2) Gore has had a consistent position of purchasing carbon offsets to offset the family’s carbon footprint — a concept the right-wing fails to understand. Gore’s office explains:

What Mr. Gore has asked is that every family calculate their carbon footprint and try to reduce it as much as possible. Once they have done so, he then advocates that they purchase offsets, as the Gore’s do, to bring their footprint down to zero.
---

I dont know Corgy, that looks like leading by example to me.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:22 PM   #39
The Omega Concern
Banned

defending Al Gore's consumption is treading on thin ice. He's a democratic politician which is akin to being a demogogue.

regardless...it's not tough to see the hypocrisy: he lives in a Mansion, drives in big SUV's, jets around all over the world and goes on about emissions being cataclysmic for the environment.

to me it's no different than Rush Limbaugh claiming he's the paragon of virtue, holds a philosophy that all drug addicts should be locked up and the key thrown away, then gets exposed as a drug addict himself.

both men have their useful idiots defending thier rather indefensible positions.

i dont understand why people take it personal when a politico they may agree with gets exposed for being a hypocrite.

Turalyon, what's there to believe? Global Warming is a theory. Global Warming due to human consumption is yet another theory. Whether we can do anything about it is conjecture and even if we can, it's likely some other event will wipe us all out before the theory of Global Warming gets proven to be correct or incorrect.

it's typical for Liberal politico's to pray on people emotions and it's clear that Environmentalism has become the religion of the left to undermine American capitalism.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #40
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Is there anything short of him living in a hut, growing his own food, wearing suits made by Tipper that would be acceptable to you guys?

Old 02-28-2007, 09:59 PM   #41
The Omega Concern
Banned

it's not just Al Gore, it's the Hollywood clan of enviro's in their stretch limo's and all preaching the G.W. gospel as well.

it doesnt show good form, reaks of arrogance and that it's o.k. for them to be hypocrites on this issue.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:03 PM   #42
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Boy
I was glad this was seemingly too stupid to be debated on here, but looks like the bar is lowering.

By who's standards? Because he doesnt pay off the carbon footprint of others?
-------
Responding to Drudge’s attack, Vice President Gore’s office told ThinkProgress:

1) Gore’s family has taken numerous steps to reduce the carbon footprint of their private residence, including signing up for 100 percent green power through Green Power Switch, installing solar panels, and using compact fluorescent bulbs and other energy saving technology.

2) Gore has had a consistent position of purchasing carbon offsets to offset the family’s carbon footprint — a concept the right-wing fails to understand. Gore’s office explains:

What Mr. Gore has asked is that every family calculate their carbon footprint and try to reduce it as much as possible. Once they have done so, he then advocates that they purchase offsets, as the Gore’s do, to bring their footprint down to zero.
---

I dont know Corgy, that looks like leading by example to me.
Gore's essentially saying this: if you can afford to throw money at the problem, then feel free to abuse power as much as you like. Cuz you know, the money you send to offsets will invest in like windmills and stuff.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:24 PM   #43
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son
Gore's essentially saying this: if you can afford to throw money at the problem, then feel free to abuse power as much as you like. Cuz you know, the money you send to offsets will invest in like windmills and stuff.
Do you know whats run from his home? Cause Ill be honest, I dont. If its his main office setting, then the use makes sense. But its irrelevant, its what he does to prevent/offset that.

You may have had a point if he did nothing other than simply buy offsets for their use, but that isnt the case. It seems they have done everything they can to conserve, and pay the offset on whats left. So its ridiculous to say he isnt leading by example. I dont know, maybe solar panels come standard on every mansion.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:26 PM   #44
Debaser
ghost

Omega concern, I suggest you balance some of your time looking up reputable science sources instead of indulging so much in the lunatic rightwing fringe punditry.

Michael Crichton's State of Confusion:
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=74

That's a site contributed by real climate scientists that, after ripping apart Crichton's misleading pseudo-science, are fair enough to even point out the factual errors in Gore's movie:
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=299

Old 02-28-2007, 10:39 PM   #45
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Is there anything short of him living in a hut, growing his own food, wearing suits made by Tipper that would be acceptable to you guys?
Come on. Nobody's saying he has to live off the land in order to practice what he preaches. But you can't get around the fact that there's something wrong with a guy who's living in a huge mansion and sucking down enough energy for 20 households telling Joe Blow that he should dry his clothes on a clothesline instead of using the dryer or else the planet's gonna suffer for it.

Look at it this way: If Gore had a smaller house, his own carbon footprint would be smaller, meaning he'd be able to offset it for less money. In addition, he wouldn't have to spend as much on energy. So in theory, he could spend the same amount of money per month that he's spending now, and have more of it go to carbon offsetting, right? So if we're heading for a global warming catastrophe, then why would he not do that instead of living in a huge mansion? No one's saying the guy can't live in a nice big house, but come on, him living in a 20 room mansion with a guest house doesn't say to me that there's much urgency to this whole thing.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:16 PM   #46
The Omega Concern
Banned

'real' climate scientist? right-wing punditry?

Gallileo went against the grain during the inquisition and was almost exucuted for it, despite the fact he was right.

do you mean the political scientist who are "90% certain" their findings on human's causing global warming are correct?

those ones?

do you have any idea how feeble that scientific claim is on the surface of it?

Quote:
For the most part, I think Gore gets the science right, just as he did in Earth in the Balance. The small errors don't detract from Gore's main point, which is that we in the United States have the technological and institutional ability to have a significant impact on the future trajectory of climate change. This is not entirely a scientific issue -- indeed, Gore repeatedly makes the point that it is a moral issue --
that's the problem, this morality play plays on people's emotions. that's demogoguery, period. plain and simple.

Crichton's main contention is that he uses the IPCC's own admissions that contradict their claims today.

The U.N. report of 5 years ago mentioned the Earth is a static environment, thereby making it virtually impossible to make sweeping claims about the climate. This is what makes the whether unpredictable from 30 days out...but these scientist routinely claim their computer models can predict what the climate will be 100 years from now?

Bullshit. and you don't have to be a scientist to understand it's bullshit. The recent U.N. report and the one they made a few years ago contradicts their testimony today enough.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:20 PM   #47
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Come on. Nobody's saying he has to live off the land in order to practice what he preaches. But you can't get around the fact that there's something wrong with a guy who's living in a huge mansion and sucking down enough energy for 20 households telling Joe Blow that he should dry his clothes on a clothesline instead of using the dryer or else the planet's gonna suffer for it.
But see its irrelevant how it compares to Joe Blow, because he isnt a Joe Blow. You guys are hanging on to the actual # used when the only argument is how that use is offset, and whether he has been as energy consicous as he can be, and right now there is nothing showing that he hasnt, and stuff showing that he has. Leading by example, one might even say.

Anyway, that was more directed toward Omega and Nimrod (to some extent). I mean, he might have some difficulty spreading the word if he rode a bicycle city to city, and had to sail around the world.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:25 PM   #48
The Omega Concern
Banned

i don't care he lives in a Mansion and uses a bunch of electricity.

it's that he does so while claiming that lifestyle will cause a cataclysm is the problem.

and 'sreading the word'...spare me, it is like a religion to ya...y'all a bunch of sheep.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:32 PM   #49
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

You got a better way of condensing what he does into 3 words? How about spreading the message, hows that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern
it's that he does so while claiming that lifestyle will cause a cataclysm is the problem.
Oh, and it's irresponsible, consequence-free lifestyle that he is against, which isnt really what this is.

Last edited by Future Boy : 02-28-2007 at 11:37 PM.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:39 PM   #50
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Talking

Quote:
I mean, he might have some difficulty spreading the word if he rode a bicycle city to city, and had to sail around the world.
You'd think that he could just use the internet that he invented to video conference or something.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:47 PM   #51
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Talking touche

Hey, let them come up with their own reply.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:11 AM   #52
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
'real' climate scientist? right-wing punditry?

Gallileo went against the grain during the inquisition and was almost exucuted for it, despite the fact he was right.
see bolded text.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:27 AM   #53
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Hey guys Gore needs as much room as he can get to fight the manbearpig.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:58 AM   #54
Debaser
ghost

Quote:
[wacky shit]
you. have. no. idea. what. you. are. talking. about. all. you. do. is regurgitate. right. wing. unsupported. claims. from. fringe. wackjobs. like. michael. savage. with. no. legitimate. scientific. sources.

Do you ever step back and realize your views are built from right wing punditry that are not climate experts or scientists? That the overall vast majority of scientist say climate change is real, humankind is the most likely cause in the last few decades, and that the small insignificant amount of scientist that dispute this are most likely highly paid mouthpieces of right wing think tanks or oil industry lobby organizations?

Last edited by Debaser : 03-01-2007 at 11:30 AM.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:02 AM   #55
Debaser
ghost

Quote:
You'd think that he could just use the internet that he invented to video conference or something.
He didn't claim to have invented the internet. More manufactured bullshit by the right.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Old 03-01-2007, 01:04 AM   #56
Debaser
ghost

Quote:
i don't care he lives in a Mansion and uses a bunch of electricity.

and 'sreading the word'...spare me, it is like a religion to ya...y'all a bunch of sheep.
You don't actually know what his lifestyle is.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:07 AM   #57
Debaser
ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious
Hey guys Gore needs as much room as he can get to fight the manbearpig.
I wish I could neg rep this.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:17 AM   #58
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Quote:
Who the fuck is this worthless poster?
I'm the OCA bi-atch. You may now go back to slurping Al Gore

Old 03-01-2007, 01:39 AM   #59
Debaser
ghost

Quote: