Old 12-21-2002, 06:04 PM   #1
Tessellation
Apocalyptic Poster

Angry "hang the DJ, hang the DJ..."

from Radio Ink:

Raw Material
All Fooked up
Dave Chamberlain

Last Thursday night Q101 DJ Fook crossed radio's hard-to-find line when, while reporting on the auto-related death of Stereolab member Mary Hansen, he accompanied his banter with crashing car effects and added that the band "sucked anyway." Clearly, somebody was wearing his Bad Idea jeans.

The resulting uproar hit Q101 brass like a runaway train. Kathryn Frazier, owner of local publicity machine Biz3, e-mailed a letter not only to the station, but also to the 1,500-plus writers, editors and musicians in her electronic address book. "I don't understand why this even happens," she says. "I mean, you never find this in print or on television. Just on radio." The resulting avalanche of letters and potentially bad press didn't take long to catch the attention of Q101 Program Director Tim Richards, who issued a blanket apology noting, "This bad judgment was clearly a mistake," and assuring that "the event will not go unanswered." And Fook himself immediately bowed his head in shame, replying over email that "It was not my agenda to slam Stereolab or the death of Mary Hanson. I made a mistake that I immediately regretted, and then again when I listened back to the tape later last night. I winced. I made a mistake, and clearly used poor judgment." Fook issued an on-air apology, and still awaits disciplinary action.

But unfortunately, Fook's words already accomplished what any good radio station programmer would want: attention. Q101 Chicago will be castigated in press across the globe, but people will see the name, and bad press is still press. Until the Sterns and Mancows start to feel financial repercussions for the shock-jock persona, there'll be ten Fooks in every city who'll say anything--without thinking--to garner better ratings. It's the nature of twenty-first century radio. And worse still, lost in the whole debacle is the real impact of the death of Hansen, 36, who was killed by an automobile while riding a bicycle in London. If Q101 were really sorry, they'd plan a commercial and DJ-free tribute to the band.

Old 12-21-2002, 07:15 PM   #2
Lie
Socialphobic

That's Q101 for you.

Old 12-21-2002, 08:15 PM   #3
Johnny_Swallow
Ownz

Talking

punk as fuck

Old 12-21-2002, 08:23 PM   #4
Mason R Butler
walks among us

Fuck you, Tesselation, for making that phrase run around in my head for the rest of the fucking night!
Ventolinn signed off at 11:21:50 PM.

Old 12-21-2002, 10:21 PM   #5
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

q101 is about as punk as a christian bookstore

Old 12-22-2002, 12:01 AM   #6
SPheart9
oh so mod.

that dj was a first class dumbshit, anyway; i wouldn't half mind if they kicked him off the station.

radio in chicago is about as bad as it comes.

Old 12-22-2002, 10:52 AM   #7
SmashingZeppelins
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally posted by SPheart9
I like WXRT. I don't like some of the music they play, but a least they're not sellouts. Who else would play Pink Floyd, Elvis Costello,Tom Petty, Charlatans UK, The Smiths, Talking Heads,The Cure,Stone Roses,Dave Matthews Band,even The Black Crowes & Bonnie Raitt. Crazy-ass variety indeed.

Old 12-22-2002, 05:00 PM   #8
twice
Socialphobic

Quote:

ahfuckingmen. but then again, all radio is pretty horrid, when you eliminate college radio from the list.

Old 12-22-2002, 05:50 PM   #9
Mason R Butler
walks among us

Quote:
Originally posted by SmashingZeppelins

I like WXRT. I don't like some of the music they play, but a least they're not sellouts. Who else would play Pink Floyd, Elvis Costello,Tom Petty, Charlatans UK, The Smiths, Talking Heads,The Cure,Stone Roses,Dave Matthews Band,even The Black Crowes & Bonnie Raitt. Crazy-ass variety indeed.
Any ClearChannel station that was told to do so, such as Mpls' Drive 105. My favorite part of all that was when Drive 105 was dissing Cities 97 for not playing enough variety while they were both owned by the same company and essentially controlled by the same people.

Old 12-22-2002, 06:05 PM   #10
Tessellation
Apocalyptic Poster

Thumbs down

I'm fed up with Clear Channel. Classic rock my ass (re: Arrow 93 in SoCal). Why the hell does KRoq play white rappers? In Santa Monica, Clear Channel propaganda has even been cropping up on billboards:

Old 12-22-2002, 06:07 PM   #11
Tessellation
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
that dj was a first class dumbshit, anyway

Danny Bonaduce and Jed the Fish in L.A.:

Old 12-22-2002, 06:23 PM   #12
Mason R Butler
walks among us

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessellation
I'm fed up with Clear Channel. Classic rock my ass (re: Arrow 93 in SoCal). Why the hell does KRoq play white rappers? In Santa Monica, Clear Channel propaganda has even been cropping up on billboards:
Perhaps because ClearChannel actually OWNS a lot of those billboards? It's fucking sick how much media control they actually have.

Old 12-24-2002, 03:40 AM   #13
Kill The Poor
Demi-God

88.7 is pretty awesome sometimes, and pretty crap at others.

Old 12-25-2002, 07:37 AM   #14
Mayfuck
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessellation

Danny Bonaduce and Jed the Fish in L.A.:
What's wrong iwth Jed the Fish?

Old 12-26-2002, 05:17 AM   #15
friedicee
Pledge

this is why I'm glad Columbus has an independantly owned station (CD101). They payed a nice little homage to Mary. That, and they refuse to play Creed.