Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2020, 07:37 PM   #91
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
I certainly agree that some people go too far in deciding what is and isn’t okay to say, but most of these people are well meaning. I don’t see how you could possibly say the KKK were anything but pure evil. The fact that some of them believe they are good just shows you how truly warped their values systems are. I believe freedom of speech is important and I definitely am probably much more absolute than that than the majority of this board. So while “SJWs” might get on my nerves I do not feel like they are doing it out of malice like the KKK does with their attempts to control society.
But that's fine, you see? It's your opinion and it's based on your experience, and that doesn't make people that disagree with a fascist. Just in case you didn't actually see the video itself, have a look and compare what Billy actually said to what PP said he said (I pinned it to start where they use the KKK analogy):

Old 06-09-2020, 07:38 PM   #92
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
I don't consider those ones libertarians or even conservatives. I call them reactionarists, and I don't agree with them at all. I don't believe capitalism is perfect or irreplaceable, I believe it's the best system we've came up with so far – and it's the best way to fight against poverty, which is what keep minorities so marginalized.

I'm am not an AnCap tho, I consider myself more of a "classical liberal" highly influenced by Hayek and Milton Friedman, which means I still believe it's ok if the government takes part in the educational system, health care and public security (while I'm still against government monopolies). I'm a pro-choice, I support same-sex marriage, LGBTQ+ adoption, drug liberalisation, and free movement. What else is left there? I'm also a vegan, for the exact same reasons.

Still, I get called a fucking fascist. You know how ridiculous that sound, specially when one of the mods support that kind of message and threats to ban me instead?
Who did you vote for in 2018?

Old 06-09-2020, 07:41 PM   #93
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Bolsonaro

Old 06-09-2020, 07:47 PM   #94
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairun View Post
Who did you vote for in 2018?
In the Brazilian elections? I didn't vote for anyone, 'cause I'm not residing in Brazil. I would have voted for Joao Amoedo in the first round and wouldn't even bother voting in the second round cause neither Haddad/Manuela d'Avila or Bolsonaro represent anything I believe, and both their supporters are just the two sides of the same coin.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:06 PM   #95
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

So you didn't bother voting against a literal fascist because you couldn't stomach a moderate centre-left government. You also genuinely believe BLM is equivalent to the KKK. Glad to clear things up.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #96
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
So you didn't bother voting against a literal fascist because you couldn't stomach a moderate centre-left government.
Did the center-left party have an email scandal, too?

Old 06-09-2020, 08:16 PM   #97
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
So you didn't bother voting against a literal fascist because you couldn't stomach a moderate centre-left government. You also genuinely believe BLM is equivalent to the KKK. Glad to clear things up.
Funny! That's EXACTLY the same thing I hear from Bolsonaro's supporters

"you didn't bother voting against a communist support party that was in power for the past 16 years and led a billions of dollars bribe scandal because you could't stomach a liberal-conservative government"

You genuinely are the two sides of the same coin. Glad to clear this up.

Last edited by Forgotten Child : 06-09-2020 at 08:28 PM.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:26 PM   #98
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Did the center-left party have an email scandal, too?
They were in power from 2002 to 2016, when Dilma Rousseff was impeached, and led a huge scandal that fleeced taxpayers out of billions of dollars in Brazil only. You can read more about it if you want, search for Operation Car Wash aka "biggest corruption scandal in history", which resulted in investigations into NINE former presidents from five countries in Latin America (Brazil, El Salvador, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru).

Old 06-09-2020, 08:51 PM   #99
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
To be fair he did say he didn't vote because he wasn't residing in Brazil. Although he did say he wouldn't have voted in the second round. I'm not too familiar with Bolsanaro, would you say he similar to Trump, worse or significantly worse? I know he's very homophobic.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:57 PM   #100
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

I have absolutely zero clue as to what Brazilian politics are like, but I have similar views about both sides generally being against the interests of the people in America (yes, obviously the Democrats are the better party before anyone attacks me). I think the mistakes libertarians make is that while they may realize both sides are corrupt and destructive, they think personal liberty extends to corporations, which will severely hurt the working population. Privatizing prisons is a big yikes as well. Not that the current prison system in America isn't already an abomination. Like I've said before, you can't truly be on the left if you're not on the left economically.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:26 PM   #101
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
To be fair he did say he didn't vote because he wasn't residing in Brazil. Although he did say he wouldn't have voted in the second round. I'm not too familiar with Bolsanaro, would you say he similar to Trump, worse or significantly worse? I know he's very homophobic.
Bolsonaro political views are a mixed bag. He was a very insignificant congressman for nearly 30 years, acting like a national-developmentalist, anti-capitalist and Pro Government most of the time – not very far from what the lefties were doing, but he was also against their liberal agenda. As a president, he (said he) changed his mind and chose a free-market economist to be his ministry of economic affairs. I didn't buy it, and even tho I think his ministry was doing an average/good job, I still wouldn't vote for him.

The way he's been dealing with the Covid 19 crisis is catastrophic, but he's not the only one to blame as governors and mayors have the power to implement their own measures.

Last edited by Forgotten Child : 06-09-2020 at 09:33 PM.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:03 PM   #102
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

I thought the popular hit song, “being beige” was WPCs answer to Racial Inequality. No? I could be wrong. . . .

Old 06-09-2020, 10:46 PM   #103
trev
charm

Quote:
Bolsonaro political views are a mixed bag. He was a very insignificant congressman for nearly 30 years, acting like a national-developmentalist, anti-capitalist and Pro Government most of the time – not very far from what the lefties were doing, but he was also against their liberal agenda. As a president, he (said he) changed his mind and chose a free-market economist to be his ministry of economic affairs. I didn't buy it, and even tho I think his ministry was doing an average/good job, I still wouldn't vote for him.

The way he's been dealing with the Covid 19 crisis is catastrophic, but he's not the only one to blame as governors and mayors have the power to implement their own measures.
holy shit...

completely shocked that anyone other than a far right or fascist could share a view like that on bolsonaro

Old 06-09-2020, 10:49 PM   #104
Elphenor
Braindead

George Carlin was wrong too, and said a bunch of stupid shit

what he has is the excuse that it's not 2020, and also he was a fucking comedian

Old 06-10-2020, 01:11 AM   #105
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Carlin was pretty fucking spot on about a lot of things, including the "fascism masquerading as politeness" bit

definitely a better way of putting it than "people curb-stomping black folk in the old days probably felt good about it" or whatev Bill & Jones were buddying up about, at least

Old 06-10-2020, 03:45 AM   #106
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:

How it is that these populist cunts spout so much hateful bullshit every fucking day and some people are still 'well, his views are a mixed bag' is beyond me. After the umpteenth dealbreaker you'd at least classify them as dangerously unfit for presidency.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:06 AM   #107
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

However, Mensch had some not-so-kind words for Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan , a former client who, he said, inspired Q Prime's "no a**holes" policy.

"[Corgan] was a very difficult person to work with," Mensch said "He's a really talented guy, just doesn't want to listen to anybody's advice -- at least as far as I could tell."

Other Q Prime clients ******* Red Hot Chili Peppers , Muse , Disturbed and Cage the Elephant .

Old 06-10-2020, 05:41 AM   #108
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
How it is that these populist cunts spout so much hateful bullshit every fucking day and some people are still 'well, his views are a mixed bag' is beyond me. After the umpteenth dealbreaker you'd at least classify them as dangerously unfit for presidency.
It's beyond you because you have no clue about that topic. When did you start following Brazilian politics anyways?

As a congressman he used to vote with the Workers Party, the biggest left wing party in Latin America. He used to say lots of homophobic and anti-civil rights shit, but so did Lula, the Workers Party leader and ex-President. Let me know what you think of these:

"the police only beat up those who deserve to be beaten"

"A wife shouldn't be submissive to her husband for food, but because she loves him and wants to live with him"

"Listen, I'm not homophobic, but those called 'homossexuals' we call 'faggots'"

"In my opinion, feminism is for the lazy, useless ones"

"Hitler, even though he was wrong, had what I appreciate in a man: the desire to do something he believes and the will to do it"

"Pelotas is a hub city, isn't it? It exports faggots"

"Back in the days, people used to work for what they wanted to achieve. Nowadays, they sit and wait for social security, food stamps etc"

Old 06-10-2020, 05:55 AM   #109
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

so, another cunt said nasty shit too, is that the point you're trying to make?

you don't necessarily have to reply if there is nothing you have to say in regards to what I said.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:55 AM   #110
Shallowed
Braindead

wow so left wing

Old 06-10-2020, 05:56 AM   #111
Shallowed
Braindead

I guess it has to be left wing because it was the workers party

Old 06-10-2020, 06:06 AM   #112
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Honestly have no time to argue with someone so wilfully dishonest. You cannot compare an ex-factory worker who played a historical part in the trade union movement and the post-dictatorship redemocratization of Brazil, and whose moderate left-wing policies lifted over 20 million people out of abject poverty, to a brutish law-and-order type with close militia ties who would rather his son was dead than gay.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:07 AM   #113
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

also, do I have to know much about Brazilian politics to have the opinion that Bolsonaro is dangerously unfit to be a president? this reminds of people saying 'just give him a chance' about Trump. he might be a narcissist with a huge ego, not able to deal with any kind of criticism, who is particularly nasty about everyone who isn't white and male, but let's keep an open mind here!

Old 06-10-2020, 06:16 AM   #114
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
so, another cunt said nasty shit too, is that the point you're trying to make?

you don't necessarily have to reply if there is nothing you have to say in regards to what I said.
That's exactly what I said, and exactly why I think they are two sides of the same coin. Do you understand why I refuse to vote for any of them? Bolsonaro supporters say he's not that bad "he's just joking", Lula/Workers Party supporters say he's not that bad "it's not what he meant". They feed into each others narrative to polarise the public opinion, because both of them win with that.

Last edited by Forgotten Child : 06-10-2020 at 06:26 AM.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:29 AM   #115
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Fuzzy was banned for less.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:31 AM   #116
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
That's exactly what I said, and exactly why I think they are two sides of the same coin. Do you understand why I refuse to vote for any of them? Bolsonaro supporters say he's not that bad "he's just joking", Lula/Workers Party supporters say he's not that bad "it's not what he meant". They feed into each others narrative to polarise the public opinion, because both of them win with that.
I don't know what you read in my posts, but this is not a reaction to the point I was making. you're coming with rebuttals to things I didn't say.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:45 AM   #117
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post

I'll change my avatar to the guy if you change yours to the dog. Deal?

Old 06-10-2020, 06:51 AM   #118
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I don't know what you read in my posts, but this is not a reaction to the point I was making. you're coming with rebuttals to things I didn't say.
The whole discussion here was why I didn't vote for the Workers Party against Bolsonaro, who you think is unfit for presidency, to which I agree. I then pointed out Workers Party was also unfit for presidency, for the exact same reasons. You didn't like when I said that his political views were a mixed bag, even though I explained that he voted the same way as the Workers Party, but was also against their progressive agenda. Is there a better term than "mixed bag"? I think it describes him perfectly.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:02 AM   #119
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
Carlin was pretty fucking spot on about a lot of things, including the "fascism masquerading as politeness" bit

definitely a better way of putting it than "people curb-stomping black folk in the old days probably felt good about it" or whatev Bill & Jones were buddying up about, at least

Let’s not forget Jones is the same POS who said Sandy Hook was a hoax. It’s amusing to meme about him, but the man is actually unhinged and dangerously influencing many people.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:07 AM   #120
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Re: Bolsanaro

You can’t really have any policies for the people if you actively hate an entire demographic of your populace. Such hatefulness is unacceptable from any leader.