Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 06-30-2022, 09:13 PM   #1
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Default I did a cover of To Sheila

I've been playing guitar forever, and recently decided to take on singing (finally) by hiring a vocal teacher. I've only been at it for a month, so please be gentle. But here I'm attempting to approximate the studio version of the song, with vocal layers and guitar layers.

sorry i can't embed, I'm netpho ignorant -- here's the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO3MkWdU1tI

Old 06-30-2022, 10:39 PM   #2
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Old 06-30-2022, 10:40 PM   #3
run2pee
Minion of Satan

j/k nice love the differnt music parts you did and how you added the differnt Melodie’s there and guitar parts even

Old 07-01-2022, 01:12 AM   #4
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Soothing vocals, I like it. The guitar is obviously perfect, from my standpoint at least.

Old 07-01-2022, 01:19 AM   #5
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Side note, I think I have seen a few of your covers before, not knowing it was you. Speed Kills sticks out as awesome and memorable. Your own personal flare is a definite enhancement.

Old 07-01-2022, 08:46 AM   #6
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

could you do the banjo version?

Old 07-01-2022, 09:24 AM   #7
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
sorry i can't embed, I'm netpho ignorant
You gotta click the "Share" button under the video on YouTube, then select the "Embed" option, and copy and paste that whole thing here

So this stuff

AND WALLAH

Lovely instrumentation here; you've got the etherial quality of the original down pat. What's it like working with a vocal teacher? I'm embarrassed just like singing happy birthday in a crowd and I always wondered if hiring someone could get me to the level of halfway carrying a tune

Old 07-01-2022, 09:35 AM   #8
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

This is fantastic, and your voice is quite good. If you didn’t say anything about working with a vocal teacher, I would’ve assumed you’d been singing for years. You’re singing on key, which is the main thing, and the timbre of your voice has a unique sound which will only benefit you. Great job.

Old 07-01-2022, 10:01 AM   #9
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

How did I not know Paranoid was Adam? Absolutely fantastic cover! The guitar work is hands down the best I have heard of this song outside of the original.

Old 07-01-2022, 11:12 AM   #10
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
Side note, I think I have seen a few of your covers before, not knowing it was you. Speed Kills sticks out as awesome and memorable. Your own personal flare is a definite enhancement.
thanks!! I've got to get back into recording those guitar covers, those are a lot of fun to do.

Old 07-01-2022, 11:13 AM   #11
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
You gotta click the "Share" button under the video on YouTube, then select the "Embed" option, and copy and paste that whole thing here

So this stuff

AND WALLAH

Lovely instrumentation here; you've got the etherial quality of the original down pat. What's it like working with a vocal teacher? I'm embarrassed just like singing happy birthday in a crowd and I always wondered if hiring someone could get me to the level of halfway carrying a tune
I do exactly this, and all it does on netphoria is show up as text.

Old 07-01-2022, 11:15 AM   #12
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post

So this stuff

AND WALLAH

and working with a vocal teacher is great.. i highly recommend it. I've been struggling to sing for years and just always assumed i couldn't do it, and those that can are naturals. But i'm learning a lot about technique, how to breathe, vowel sounds, habits that make you sound bad. It's all incredibly simple stuff too, so I feel like I'm picking up on a lot of it fast.

Old 07-01-2022, 11:15 AM   #13
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
How did I not know Paranoid was Adam? Absolutely fantastic cover! The guitar work is hands down the best I have heard of this song outside of the original.
Thanks <3 .. do I know you in the insta world?

Old 07-01-2022, 11:16 AM   #14
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceboy88 View Post
This is fantastic, and your voice is quite good. If you didn’t say anything about working with a vocal teacher, I would’ve assumed you’d been singing for years. You’re singing on key, which is the main thing, and the timbre of your voice has a unique sound which will only benefit you. Great job.
this means a lot thank you!

Old 07-01-2022, 11:43 AM   #15
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
I do exactly this, and all it does on netphoria is show up as text.
Hmm. Perhaps your shit is fucked.

I do know that half the time, if I hit the "Preview Post" button to make sure I did it right before submitting, the video doesn't show up at all, or is otherwise messed up (I forget if I've seen code/text, but maybe?). But when I actually submit it for real, it's fine.

Old 07-01-2022, 05:20 PM   #16
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Imho the vocals only stick out as the weak link because (1) the guitar parts are very cool, (2) Billy's voice is such an integral part of his songs. I think part of it is also the vocal production? Your take (especially the verses) sounds drier, whereas Billy's has an airy quality to it - it's like his voice's echoes compliment the night-time atmospherics. It sounds like they occupy the same physical space, while your voice stands out more.

But the singing is definitely good! I don't want to discourage you. All I'm saying is that the instrumental is a very worthy alternative to the original, while the voice is not quite there yet (but also very far from being embarrassing, etc).

Old 07-01-2022, 05:23 PM   #17
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Also, your voice reminds me of someone else's, but I can't quite place it. Trawling my music collection to figure out who, lol

Old 07-01-2022, 07:24 PM   #18
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairun View Post
Imho the vocals only stick out as the weak link because (1) the guitar parts are very cool, (2) Billy's voice is such an integral part of his songs. I think part of it is also the vocal production? Your take (especially the verses) sounds drier, whereas Billy's has an airy quality to it - it's like his voice's echoes compliment the night-time atmospherics. It sounds like they occupy the same physical space, while your voice stands out more.

But the singing is definitely good! I don't want to discourage you. All I'm saying is that the instrumental is a very worthy alternative to the original, while the voice is not quite there yet (but also very far from being embarrassing, etc).
i know what you mean.. i actually tried to get it closer to the original by putting some reverb on it, but i didn't like how it was sounding. as far as vocals go, i tend to like drier production (like thom yorke on weird fishes for example).. also the reverb was overwhelming the chorus where i had other layers going. but yes, it can be a jarring difference, and billy is difficult to cover because his voice stands on its own, and like you said is an integral part of his songs.

thanks for listening and for the input! curious to hear about who you think i sound like.

Old 07-02-2022, 09:37 PM   #19
paranoid
Minion of Satan

not SP but here's another cover I did-- went for Fripp/Eno sound on this one

Old 07-02-2022, 09:44 PM   #20
spguitar0
Demi-God

Awesome stuff my friend!

Old 07-03-2022, 12:03 AM   #21
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Sounds great. Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-03-2022, 07:36 PM   #22
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairun View Post
billy has gone on record many times stating there is “no bass in his voice”… this is true, well it was… his voice has an incredibly unique harmonic to it that makes most people (especially those with lower tuned voices) sound less than stellar singing his songs… this is also a big part of why he sounds mostly atrocious nowadays… the actual eq of his voice has changed over time via aging, placing resonant emphasis on a lower frequency… he then insists on amateur vibrato which just makes things worse, most likely due to insecurity over his changed voice