Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2021, 07:19 PM   #1
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!
Default Bands re-recording songs (not referring to "taylor's version")

I recently came across In A Different Light by Everclear, where they redid a bunch of their well known songs with different instrumentation, pacing, production, etc. the album says (All New Recordings) in the title

it sounds pretty great. i do not consider myself an everclear fan really, but this gives these old familiar songs a whole different feel, and it's really high quality.

my question here is, are you aware of other projects / albums / etc. where a band goes back and does another recording of existing songs? not a live performance, not a remaster, but almost like they're covering themselves. and again, im aware of the taylor swift thing, not really asking about that

any other ones out there anyone can recommend?

thank you!

Old 12-03-2021, 07:29 PM   #2
wHATcOLOR

uh.. to complicate matters, i just noticed their album Return To Santa Monica (2011), in which they'e also re-recorded some of those exact same songs from the In A Different Light (2009).. my initial impression is this second batch (return to santa monica) is not sufficiently different from the original recordings to be very exciting, whereas the first batch (in a different light) is.. hmm. the fact that they have multiple albums of re-recordings a little confusing and annoying

blep

Old 12-03-2021, 07:38 PM   #3
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

Last time I was in line at CVS I heard that "AND I DON'T WANT THE WORLD TO SEE ME, 'CAUSE I DON'T THINK THAT THEY'D UNDERSTAND" song, and the vocal take was definitely a little different from how I remembered it, and of course I heard that goddamn song a million times when that movie about Nic Cage being a sad angel came out, but the rest sounded identical, and I thought, "Huh"

Highly, highly recommend you look into that, I'm sure it'd be well worth your time

Old 12-03-2021, 07:57 PM   #4
wHATcOLOR

Exclamation

will get on this, stat! thank you topleybird

Old 12-04-2021, 10:34 AM   #5
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Palace Music/Bonnie Prince Billy/Will Oldham does entire albums of that, so there are too many songs to give as examples, but here's a couple of them:

Old 12-07-2021, 12:53 PM   #6
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Gang of Four's Return the Gift is still my favorite example of this, with some of those (particularly all the post-Entertainment! tracks) being my fav versions of the songs altogether

Entertainment's dry caustic production still suits those particular songs best, imo, but the fact that this & Shrinkwrapped still haven't made it to "the streamers" is wild to me, easily 2 of the best things they put out after Solid Gold

Old 12-09-2021, 11:44 AM   #7
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

A lot of legacy Classic Rock bands have done this just to create new content or maybe they no longer owned the masters to the original recordings. This is an old trick.

Old 12-10-2021, 11:53 AM   #8
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

late 70s/80s bands in particular seem to love this

& one of the most successful (artistically & commercially) I can think of was New Order re-doing a couple for Substance

Last edited by Joey Goldberg : 12-10-2021 at 11:58 AM.