Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #91
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
it sounds a lot cooler than it was. in fact it was really lame.

i had no car so i was counting on my friend to drive me all the way from socal to portland. when i was sober i was pretty determined and he had agree to do it. but then i got into some pills and weed and lost my resolve. so he was able to get out of it (he hates doom).

it was their reunion tour so i will forever hate myself for this.
jeez that story makes me hurt

don't do drugs, kids

Old 06-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #92
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
oh yeah nice i think you told me about this. he's such a dork lol.

have you heard crystal fairy? it's melvins plus teri gender bender.

Yeah I have heard that album. Pretty good stuff. Teri was recently doing karaoke with Donita Sparks from L7 on zoom or something lol. Donita posted it to her Instagram. I also saw her live with Le Butcherettes. They opened for L7 when I saw them in 2019.

Old 06-05-2020, 04:41 PM   #93
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Red face

what really? shit now i really have to check them out huh.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:20 PM   #94
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
what really? shit now i really have to check them out huh.
L7 is legit as fuck man. Not the most consistent output after Bricks are Heavy though. But that album and the one before it (Smell the Magic) are excellent punk rock and grunge. They were friends with Nirvana and apparently Jennifer Finch (their bassist) dated our Bald Lord at some point in time.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:48 PM   #95
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
jeez that story makes me hurt

don't do drugs, kids
Yeah F that story foolf what the heck man

Ok let me rewrite that story

So before the big sleep show me and my friend drove to the pond to look at the tadpoles again but they weren’t there so we sat and then this grimalkin came by that was holding so Larry n me rolled up a hog leg and let loose with biggest puffins, but where was the cat?

Then it was eleven thirty and i missed the bus to the sleep concert! So Larry said i could go in his old lady’s car but it needed oil so we walked to the store where Larry said he knew the guy who cleaned the bathrooms

And the bathroom was real bad. But we smoked in there the rest of the bag we got off the cat near the pond where the tadpoles werent. Then Larry had to take a shit so i went outside. That’s when i heard the frogs! The tadpoles u see had been there all along, i just wasn’t stoned enough yet to notice

Then it was 2 am and i missed the sleep concert!

Old 06-06-2020, 10:13 AM   #96
FoolofaTook

haha yeah that's way better. i told you it was lame af.

Old 06-07-2020, 02:49 AM   #97
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
L7 is legit as fuck man. Not the most consistent output after Bricks are Heavy though. But that album and the one before it (Smell the Magic) are excellent punk rock and grunge. They were friends with Nirvana and apparently Jennifer Finch (their bassist) dated our Bald Lord at some point in time.
I bought that CD back in the day. L7 was great. I love girl bands. I'm not being a dick, but the Go Go's were so good. "lust to love" and "This Town" and "Automatic" were well written songs.

Old 06-07-2020, 04:20 AM   #98
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Sexual View Post
Yeah, people on IG were telling WPC how the timing of corona fits so well with the narrative of Zeitgeist. And he couldn't miss the opportunity to hint to how ahead of its time it was.

I don't mean to make it a competition but RATM's self-titled came out in 1991. Were they ahead of being ahead of their time?

What about their influences that are showcased in the Renegades of Funk video? Surely they must all be ahead of being ahead of being ahead of their time. Right?

Point is, the narrative on Zeitgeist can't be ahead of its time when revolutions have been occurring throughout the history of civilized society. It wasn't ahead of its time but B'arcy has to bolster his art, and in turn, himself, to seem relevant and important. It's simultaneously annoying and depressing. A lot like Adore, come to think of it.
/thread

Old 06-07-2020, 04:31 AM   #99
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

D

Old 06-07-2020, 07:28 AM   #100
FoolofaTook

Angry

Did someone just compare Adore to Shitegeist?

YOU WANNA GO PUNK? COS I'M READY, RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW? WHAT? YOU CRYING? THAT'S RIGHT, RUN, LITTLE BOY, RUN!!!

Old 06-07-2020, 07:28 AM   #101
FoolofaTook

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:27 AM   #102
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Zeit was them doing exactly what people wanted (literally polling people for the result "we want a rock album")

Adore's the opposite

shame on you, Sexual!

Old 06-08-2020, 08:25 PM   #103
selection7
Demi-God

I think of Adore, Machina 1&2, TFE were more adjacent to their time than ahead of it. They're not quite like any albums that came before or after. But alternative music isn't supposed to be particularly commercial (unless you're coming off two of the best selling rock albums of your generation), but that's the tradeoff. And the 1990s were a unique time in commercial music history when 'alt' became 'pop(ular)'. The next closest comparison I can think of would be the late '60s to early '70s, but I don't think even that era's often unusually eclectic or aggressive, not-typically-commercial music was as ubiquitous as in the '90s.

Ultimately, I'd ask would those albums have been more successful if released 10 years later? I don't think so.

Billy doesn't in*clude 2003's MSOTS in that list, so at least he's not delusional.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:32 PM   #104
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Machina came out at the right time he just didn't wear enough backward baseball caps

Old 06-08-2020, 08:39 PM   #105
selection7
Demi-God

I think it feeds Billy's chip on his shoulder that he doesn't get credit for much of what he did that was either elite or at least groundbreaking. It's like the music community/journalists/his peers are gaslighting him into thinking he didn't really do those things. Billy's had way too much success for anyone to feel sorry for him (career-wise) in general, but I do feel a little bad for him on that one point. It's interesting, if enough people buy in, it's almost like history can be re-written.

So to overcompensate, every so often we get these humble-brags from Billy. Sometimes on point (FAEOMM distribution model being ignored relative to In Rainbows, his donation of nearly an entire tour's profit to charity, MCIS being one of the best selling *rock* albums of all time, etc.), and other times it's stuff like "TFE was ahead of its time" and "if That's The Way (My Love Goes) had been released in the 1990s, it would have been a huge hit".