Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2022, 11:07 AM   #151
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Oh yeah I got Ogilala second hand in a record store. LOL.

Old 10-12-2022, 10:41 AM   #152
mpp
Minion of Satan

so I saw them in Atlanta, maybe my 20th something show

I was pleasantly surprised based on the all the negative reviews. Might have something to do with the sick seats we found on the secondary market yesterday afternoon. In any event, Jane's Addiction was actually pretty good. The newest SP songs were forgettable, but Solara and Cyr really weren't bad. Solara especially hit pretty hard. Highlights were Silvercrank (love the old school version), Cherub Rock, Zero, and SIYL. Hard to fuck up the classics THAT badly.

They were way better than they were at Lakewood a few years back with Manson. Best Pumpkins performance I've seen in some time. Would have been nice to hear some Gish, but WOCOAN and TT were both real treats.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:22 PM   #153
Ram27
dumb

siva was on the set the first few shows but they never did it so far i believe

i shit on them playing so many hits because it's fucking just reading the names, but actually usually in person you kinda just groove no matter what, the crowd is into it

LOVE the version of WOCOAN they're doing; i would love a poll of the audience at each gig, 'have you heard that song before'

Old 10-14-2022, 02:32 AM   #154
paranoid
Minion of Satan

was at the CT show tonight.

Odd mix of very old people (like my parents age) and dads my age with teenage kids. Noticed a lot of the teenage kids singing along with beguiled while the older people were confused.

I of the mourning was a high light.. ending with a big solo like that got the crowd excited.

From my perspective I thought they sounded great, and the light/video show was great. Silverfuck was easily my favorite. Harmageddon was killer, as was empires, neophyte was iffy. I've seen SIYL, cherub and zero a billion times at this point but they still kill every time i see them. Eye and Ava Adore can go BUT i dug the break beat drum solo bit Jimmy did in the middle of the later. Band seemed in good spirits. I only sensed camaraderie between Billy and James, no fights over who had the bigger dick.

Jimmy is a fucking monster and everyone knows it. He's the MVP of the whole show, hands down.

Janes Addiction was great too. I wouldn't say they slayed the pumpkins, they both delivered a great show and i didn't feel any negative vibes from the audience towards any of the sets. people left but jesus christ it's a nearly 4 hour show and there's a lot of old farts there so i imagine their backs hurt and they have early jobs/want to beat the traffic. It's not because the show is bad.

I guess if you walk into a show like this with something to bitch about, then you'll find something to bitch about. I was with a guy that took issue with them closing with a song that no one is familiar with and they should "close with something everyone knows and billy only does that because he's a dick." that's just weird and over thinking it. Like what is it with Pumpkins fans over analyzing things that don't even make sense? It's a weird obsession with Billy, ultimately. Same guy says "Billy didn't look like he cared about Jimmy's drum solo" and I was like "dude you look at Billy too much."

moral of the story the strongest version of the band we've seen in over 20 years is on the stage right now and i'm happy i get to witness it after being a fan for so long.. and it's not gonna last forever. no it aint the 1991-1996 band but i was like 12 then. so i'm not gonna waste the money and energy making it a miserable show for myself and the others around me. the show wasn't bad at all.

Old 10-14-2022, 02:36 AM   #155
paranoid
Minion of Satan

also it'd be really sick if they added the good in goodbye.

Old 10-14-2022, 07:53 AM   #156
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Noticed a lot of the teenage kids singing along with beguiled while the older people were confused.
this is the craziest sentence i've ever read

Quote:
Billy didn't look like he cared about Jimmy's drum solo
EGOMANIAC JC CHASTISES BANDMATE FOR NOT PAYING ATTENTION DURING SOLO

Old 10-14-2022, 07:56 AM   #157
Ram27
dumb

they should close with sweet sweet or meladori magpie

Old 10-14-2022, 09:51 AM   #158
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
was at the CT show tonight.

Odd mix of very old people (like my parents age) and dads my age with teenage kids. Noticed a lot of the teenage kids singing along with beguiled while the older people were confused.

I of the mourning was a high light.. ending with a big solo like that got the crowd excited.

From my perspective I thought they sounded great, and the light/video show was great. Silverfuck was easily my favorite. Harmageddon was killer, as was empires, neophyte was iffy. I've seen SIYL, cherub and zero a billion times at this point but they still kill every time i see them. Eye and Ava Adore can go BUT i dug the break beat drum solo bit Jimmy did in the middle of the later. Band seemed in good spirits. I only sensed camaraderie between Billy and James, no fights over who had the bigger dick.

Jimmy is a fucking monster and everyone knows it. He's the MVP of the whole show, hands down.

Janes Addiction was great too. I wouldn't say they slayed the pumpkins, they both delivered a great show and i didn't feel any negative vibes from the audience towards any of the sets. people left but jesus christ it's a nearly 4 hour show and there's a lot of old farts there so i imagine their backs hurt and they have early jobs/want to beat the traffic. It's not because the show is bad.

I guess if you walk into a show like this with something to bitch about, then you'll find something to bitch about. I was with a guy that took issue with them closing with a song that no one is familiar with and they should "close with something everyone knows and billy only does that because he's a dick." that's just weird and over thinking it. Like what is it with Pumpkins fans over analyzing things that don't even make sense? It's a weird obsession with Billy, ultimately. Same guy says "Billy didn't look like he cared about Jimmy's drum solo" and I was like "dude you look at Billy too much."

moral of the story the strongest version of the band we've seen in over 20 years is on the stage right now and i'm happy i get to witness it after being a fan for so long.. and it's not gonna last forever. no it aint the 1991-1996 band but i was like 12 then. so i'm not gonna waste the money and energy making it a miserable show for myself and the others around me. the show wasn't bad at all.
Good call on that drum break during "Ava Adore". That caught me completely off guard and felt like a really exciting way to spruce up a song I'd heard played live numerous times!

Old 10-14-2022, 10:41 AM   #159
mpp
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
I've seen SIYL, cherub and zero a billion times at this point but they still kill every time i see them.

I got literal chills during Cherub Rock. It just fucking slays. One of my buddies who came with me is a casual and he didn't really know SIYL but said "that song is incredible." I was like "yeah man top 5 SP songs ever." He told me he listened to Machina today and enjoyed it.

The band is very strong RN. I'd like to see them again if they tour in 2023.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:42 AM   #160
mpp
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
they should close with sweet sweet or meladori magpie
that would kill

i was saying just yesterday they should replace WOCOAN with MM; another great country song bill wrote back in the day

OR

Silverfuck --> sweet sweet --> luna

Goodnight!

Old 10-14-2022, 10:54 AM   #161
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I thought all the old songs were pretty routine by numbers versions. The click track makes them all drag. I still think Harmageddon is not a good song at all and a terrible closer. Glad you guys had a good time though.

For me WOCOAN was the highlight of the show. Lovely version they are doing. Made me wish they’d tour MCIS in its entirety. That would be epic af.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:58 AM   #162
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Good call on that drum break during "Ava Adore". That caught me completely off guard and felt like a really exciting way to spruce up a song I'd heard played live numerous times!
it was def jimmys shining moment that broke up a long a set of james GIVING cunt

Old 10-14-2022, 10:59 AM   #163
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp View Post
One of my buddies who came with me is a casual and he didn't really know SIYL but said "that song is incredible."
my friend did the same exact thing when we saw shiny tour together lol

Old 10-14-2022, 11:52 AM   #164
paranoid
Minion of Satan

lol y'all wouldn't know a tempo drag if it hit you in your dragging ass.

Another thing I've noticed-- the whole "Jeff the shredder" bit that has haunted pumpkins shows for the past decade is not longer a thing. There are moments when he's just standing there, and I am completely fine with that! Always felt he was a great rhythm player, and he adds more punch to a lot of the songs, but when he plays lead it falls flat for me. Billy's doing more solos and he is killing it on guitar leads, as is james. Jeff had a solo on once in a lifetime, and i actually enjoyed it a lot, probably because i wasn't subjected to that same style of solo on all of the other songs.

Old 10-14-2022, 11:54 AM   #165
paranoid
Minion of Satan

And I guess I've ignored SIYL for the longest time but these last two shows it's a highlight and gives me all the feels. Truly is one of the best songs they've ever written.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:34 PM   #166
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I have always loved that song, glad that it's kicking ass live because I just BOUGHT TICKETS TO THE PORTLAND SHOW and am pretty damn excited. I haven't seen them since the Oceania tour, because the last time I would have been able to see them (when they were with Manson in 2015) it was the same night Failure was playing Fantastic Planet in its entirety. So I chose that.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:35 PM   #167
ilikeplanets
Braindead

All I know is they'd better still be playing Quiet, I have always wanted to see that song live and never have

Old 10-14-2022, 12:37 PM   #168
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

So far I don’t believe Quiet has appeared on the tour itself, just the Metro show and shows earlier in the year.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:39 PM   #169
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Maybe I'll get incredibly lucky. I haven't looked at a setlist because that ruins it for me.

Old 10-14-2022, 01:15 PM   #170
mpp
Minion of Satan

Quiet or Siva would be a treat. I’ve still never seen quiet live either. Tf.

Old 10-20-2022, 12:22 AM   #171
Ram27
dumb

hmmm

'Blistering rock 'n' roll': Smashing Pumpkins go wild at TD Garden in Boston

https://www.patriotledger.com/story/...n/10523477002/

Old 10-20-2022, 06:51 AM   #172
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
hmmm