Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2022, 01:48 AM   #1
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!
Arrow Linkin Park

i won't be surprised if this post is met with some derision or snark, but i wanted to make a thread about linkin park.

i remember buying hybrid theory maybe a year after it came out, then meteora right when it came out and really liked both.

when minutes to midnight came out, i listened to a few songs but didn't get the album and kind of forgot about the band.

i wasn't really aware of any of their albums after that (a thousand suns, living things, the hunting party, one more light), and then of course chester died in 2017. i was at a point in my life where i knew it was a big deal but was so busy with other things i didn't really feel the impact.

recently, for no real reason, i started listening to all of their albums and was really grabbed by it all. what a great, great band. their bar for quality is so high, everything is so tight. i find some of it very moving.

for me it's this appealing mix of raw emotion and tight, professional delivery and production.

and then as a band, they are really giving to their fans. they have a live album for just about every studio album, there are a couple albums where they have acapalla and instrumental versions of the songs in case you're interested in that. deluxe versions with more songs, etc.

and a ton of cool content on youtube. a couple different "making of" docs for albums, some incredible live shows. plus a bunch of remix albums i haven't even listened to. the ep with Jay-z and the live shows with him on youtube are ridiculous. so good.

the one-two punch of chester and mike shinoda is pretty insane. just incredibly talented. musically they kept things interesting and evolved pretty well from album to album, took some chances, etc. i feel like the integrity of this band never dipped.

i concede it's easy for me to come away with this really positive impressions of these albums, having listened to them for the first time only recently, having complete perspective of how things ultimately turned out. i'm not sure i would have been as interested or as receptive if i was listening when they were released. it's easier to appreciate each of these knowing there will never be any more with chester.

i don't really have a point here other than to say that i really think this band is incredible, it's obviously an emotionally heavy thing because of how it all turned out, but i'm really glad i rediscovered them.

anyone here else like them? wanna post videos of live performance you think are the best, discuss any songs or albums, etc.?

Last edited by wHATcOLOR : 04-12-2022 at 02:43 AM.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:27 AM   #2
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

link in bio

Old 04-12-2022, 10:10 AM   #3
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

lost me album 2, but i'll forever love those first couple + reanimation and most of the stuff surrounding it - even if the guitar & drum production is pretty "no frills" as fuck, save for some of the clean-ish stuff (Forgotten, baby)

i love jay-z so that was a cool little novelty as well

favorite thing they ever did is undoubtedly this, though

Old 04-12-2022, 10:38 AM   #4
Baffler_Meal
Mothmonsterman

Linkin Park is really good. I am a far bigger Pumpkins fan, but I've enjoyed LP shows far more than SP shows in person.

I'll always remember the feeling when the entire Jiffy Lube Live venue sang Burn It Down in 2012.

Chester always struck me as a bit aloof, but Mike is just the nicest guy. I wish nothing but the best for him and the rest of the band moving forward.

Old 04-12-2022, 12:04 PM   #5
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlitchford View Post
Chester always struck me as a bit aloof
these days he's particularly distant

Old 04-12-2022, 12:04 PM   #6
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

too soon?

Old 04-12-2022, 12:05 PM   #7
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

really though I was pretty shocked & saddened to hear about that when it happened - this unreleased track from the Hybrid days is so good though

Old 04-12-2022, 01:55 PM   #8
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

I've never been into Linkin Park really, but I do think they're very talent and got unfairly shit on by lots of people. Surprisingly, when Chester died one of my old friends who is really into death metal and plays in a semi-popular band (also writes for some music magazines, is a studio musician as well) wrote a very touching thing about how talented they were and how people could front all they wanted but all the highschool death metal kids secretly loved them in the early 2000s and no one better talk shit about him.

Old 04-12-2022, 03:55 PM   #9
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

Don't really know who Gordi is, but I enjoyed this cover, over-earnest backup singer guy and all

Old 04-12-2022, 07:25 PM   #10
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

LP rules and were unfairly shit on. Minutes to Midnight wasn’t great and their last one was pretty bad but the first two, Living Things, Hunting Party, were really good.

Old 04-24-2022, 03:07 AM   #11
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

here are a few of my favorite live videos. i'll post some more too:

holy fuck this is so good

A Place For My Head - Germany 2004

skip to like 4:55 if you have ADHD

skip to like 1:52 or so if you have a short attention span

Faint, 2007 Japan

Old 07-11-2022, 05:47 PM   #12
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

Resurrecting this thread to share this. The remix of Points of Authority on Reanimation, for those who haven't already heard it.

https://youtu.be/kX_cVDFda00

It is incredible. My favourite thing LP ever put out by some margin. As others have said on this thread they got clowned on a lot back in the day but when they wrote a great song, they wrote a great friggin' song!

Old 07-13-2022, 11:38 PM   #13
D.
Consume my pants.

Mike Shinoda's lyrics are so bad.

I'll always have a soft spot for them (and the first album) because of the time in my life it came out. And I like some songs here and there from Meteora and I think Minutes to Midnight had some jamz IIRC. But I really don't care enough about anything after that.

It really is just nostalgia for me; I'll play a song every now and then from Hybrid Theory. It was kinda cool to hear the pre-Hybrid demos they released a few years ago.

But yeah, the lyrics are tough to get past.

Old 07-14-2022, 01:56 PM   #14
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Chaz + the electronics were always the main appeal of this band, at least for me. Mike is fine but even as a kid I thought the rapping in "In the End" was fucking cheesy and almost didn't even get anything more by them

guitar/bass/drums are about as functional as they come, though some of the clean gtr & harmonics shit on like Forgotten, Pushing Me Away & stuff is great

Old 07-16-2022, 12:00 AM   #15
slunken
Virgo

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
for me it's this appealing mix of raw emotion and tight, professional delivery and production.
new meme has emerged

Old 07-16-2022, 12:03 AM   #16
slunken
Virgo

what a gift

Old 07-16-2022, 05:11 PM   #17
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

I'll take "how would Patrick Bateman introduce popular early 2000s records" for 500 alex

Old 07-22-2022, 02:45 AM   #18
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

I remember thinking they were lame when they came out. They played at a Best Buy right near my house, and we were like F- that.

Come to find out a few years after Hybrid Theory... I was like, shit. These guys are pretty good. I was the lame one. Go figure.

Old 07-22-2022, 02:47 AM   #19
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Chester was a hell of a front man. RIP

Old 07-22-2022, 11:00 AM   #20
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

played at a Best Buy??? was that long-running Facebook meme actually based in some kind of reality????

Old 07-22-2022, 11:01 AM   #21
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

one thing

i DON'T know why

i couldn't find a cable so I asked the guy

Old 07-22-2022, 01:49 PM   #22
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Truck05 View Post
I remember thinking they were lame when they came out. They played at a Best Buy right near my house, and we were like F- that.
I'm currently LOLing at the extraordinarily remote possibility that the shitty band I saw playing the parking lot of a Ben & Jerry's at the mall right around that time was in fact Linkin Park, and I just never put two and two together

Old 07-22-2022, 01:50 PM   #23
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Talking

Joey pls

Must spread rep, etc.

Old 07-22-2022, 02:04 PM   #24
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

i'm seriously curious about that too, though

like are people still allowed to shop for TV's & whatnot while that's happening? I'm amazed

"yeah so uh... could we see the 62-inchers?"
IN THE MEMORY YOU'LL FIIIIIND MEEEEEE
"we just sold our last one to a fellow with flames on his wrists"
EYES BURNING UUUUUP

Old 07-22-2022, 11:46 PM   #25
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
I'm currently LOLing at the extraordinarily remote possibility that the shitty band I saw playing the parking lot of a Ben & Jerry's at the mall right around that time was in fact Linkin Park, and I just never put two and two together
They must have been doing a parking lot tour!

Their song was getting some radio play at the time. I remember thinking they sucked because there were a lot of these hip hop/ guitar rock bands in the area, and they were terrible.

The Best Buy, near my house, was just built. It was like a grand opening thing.

Screen-Shot-2022-07-22-at-8-48-52-PM

Last edited by Big Truck05 : 07-22-2022 at 11:53 PM.

Old 07-23-2022, 11:53 AM   #26
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Unhappy

It turns out Weezer did something similar at the same mall I'm thinking of... in 2013

I had a talk with my hometown buddies and we decided the band we'd seen had more of a "Sublime, but exponentially shittier" vibe, I'm very sorry to say

Old 01-04-2023, 04:53 PM   #27
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
these days he's particularly distant
It's insensitive posts like this from you that have discouraged me from hanging out here in recent years.

Old 01-04-2023, 05:44 PM   #28
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

sorry globes i still stand by that 1

RIP chaz

Old 01-04-2023, 05:52 PM   #29
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

now if you don't mind, i got a concert to catch at the local Super Target

Old 01-04-2023, 06:02 PM   #30
phang
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
i remember buying hybrid theory maybe a year after it came out, then meteora right when it came out and really liked both.

when minutes to midnight came out, i listened to a few songs but didn't get the album and kind of forgot about the band.
Yeah that pretty much sums up my experience with Linkin Park too. Thought Hybrid was great, Meteora was great, Minutes was a mixed bag, then Thousand Suns put me off. Didn't bother listening to the rest, probably will one day, but occasionally the old songs come up on playlists and yeah they were pretty rockin'.

My friends were more into them than I was, but we were all a bit sad of Chester's death I guess.