Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2022, 09:43 PM   #1
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face
Default I am experiencing my first real winter ever.

I moved to Western Massachusetts this spring. From South Florida. I lived in Louisiana for a few years in my teens and it did get pretty cold there but it did not ever snow or anything like that.

So on Monday I think was our second snow of the season; first was like 4 weeks ago but it was like 1-2 inches. It was around 6". Yesterday I finally dug out my car (snow hasn't melted much) and drove a few miles away to let out two fucking MICE I caught because mice are a thing up here in the winter apparently???

For anyone who's never lived in a subtropical climate, I can't tell you how different it is. Where you basically never, ever have to worry about what you're wearing because it's either hot or hotter, except for a scattered maybe 2 weeks a year. It is a fundamentally different way of living. When I was in Florida I had like two sweaters and a a hoodie. Nothing for sub freezing weather at all. Here I have to think strategically about which to put on. I bought winter boots but I'm prone to falling so I'm getting fucking spikes to put on my boots. I've never had to think about any of this shit. And also: leggings go under your pants when it's really cold. I never thought of this as a use for leggings in my life.

Another thing: FLORIDA IS FLAT AS HELL. There are no hills or anything. Especially in South Florida, which was built on top of a swamp and sand. Well, now I live in a fucking valley with hills and mountains everywhere and boy, let me tell you it's crazy to be on an incline at a light with someone behind you having never experienced it before, knowing intellectually your car will not fall back into the other car in the .25 seconds it takes to switch from brake to gas but having to rely a little on faith because you've just never been in the situation before in your almost 20 years of driving.

I haven't been checking the board so feel free to let me know coll things I've missed.

I'm pretty stoned, sorry if this is rambling nonsense. Oh yeah Mass has legal weed too. Fuck you, Florida.

Old 12-16-2022, 09:55 PM   #2
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

ahhh, the strategery of winter clothing. Here in the lowlands of the PNW we just wear flannel, wool, and carry a raincoat. I don't miss all that snow in the NE

Stay safe! Drive carefully and always keep some emergency supplies in your car. Like a heavy blanket, some energy bars, a few bottles of water. Just in case you end up trapped in your car during a snow storm

Old 12-16-2022, 09:57 PM   #3
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I can relate. I lived in Austin for 12 years and Alabama for 4 years, now I live in Oregon where it starts snowing in November. I drove across a mountain pass in February a few years ago so my kid could get some X rays, and the entire sky to the ground was a white out with zero visibility. It took over 6 hours when it normally takes 3ish. I'm still traumatized. I hate winter clothes and darkness and being sick every other week. Give me summer forever.

Old 12-16-2022, 10:46 PM   #4
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
ahhh, the strategery of winter clothing. Here in the lowlands of the PNW we just wear flannel, wool, and carry a raincoat. I don't miss all that snow in the NE

Stay safe! Drive carefully and always keep some emergency supplies in your car. Like a heavy blanket, some energy bars, a few bottles of water. Just in case you end up trapped in your car during a snow storm
Thank you, I will make sure I do that. Never even thought about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I can relate. I lived in Austin for 12 years and Alabama for 4 years, now I live in Oregon where it starts snowing in November. I drove across a mountain pass in February a few years ago so my kid could get some X rays, and the entire sky to the ground was a white out with zero visibility. It took over 6 hours when it normally takes 3ish. I'm still traumatized. I hate winter clothes and darkness and being sick every other week. Give me summer forever.
Yikes, that does sound traumatizing. Hope that doesn't happen again anytime soon. I am seriously going to avoid driving as much as possible. I have driven on some mountains here but not like really steep ones, which I imagine are much different. I also know Feb will be much worse than it is now and I think I can imagine what it will be like but idk. I'm not in shock but... it is very weird.

Old 12-16-2022, 10:49 PM   #5
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

More weather-related stuff:

Sunset is something like 4:20pm here. Where I used to live it's around 5:30. That is a huge difference. I got one of those sun lamps though and so far I'm ok.

Obviously summer here was really nice. I was often in the 80s and sometimes even up to the mid 90s, but at night it was always under 70 and sometimes even in the 50s. That's so different. If you've never experienced it being 85 degrees at 2am with 90%+ humidity, that is Florida in summer. But even though it's always hot... you still are going to be wearing the same shit if it's 90 or 100, for the most part. I just never realized how different it is. It hasn't really been that unpleasant yet but I know it will get there, probably.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:16 PM   #6
Ram27
dumb

i've started taking vitamin D; winter depression kills me and the 4PM sunsets are fucking evil and fucking stupid as all hell [if we leave DST on, like we should when there's less fucking daylight, it's a bit better but nooo]

but yeah lived in indiana my whole conscious life unfortunately and i love having seasons. i mean, i hate winter, but i get sick of summer after a bit as well. spring and fall are GOAT times

Old 12-16-2022, 11:33 PM   #7
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Seasonal depression sucks, I get it but luckily I'm too busy for it to affect my daily routine. I just get despondent about the dark and the fact that I can't go for a fucking walk because there's too much ice and I can't deal with frigid wind. And why is it only 7 PM when it should be midnight, etc.

I've been recommended those sun lamps but haven't bought one yet.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:38 PM   #8
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I'm probably one of very few who doesn't love spring and fall. Spring equals allergies, and false promises of warm weather just to turn cold on you when you're out without a coat. Fall is wet here, and I hate grey skies and rain. Just leave the Earth on summer mode, please. I like every aspect of it.

Old 12-17-2022, 12:11 AM   #9
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I moved to Western Massachusetts this spring. From South Florida. I lived in Louisiana for a few years in my teens and it did get pretty cold there but it did not ever snow or anything like that.

So on Monday I think was our second snow of the season; first was like 4 weeks ago but it was like 1-2 inches. It was around 6". Yesterday I finally dug out my car (snow hasn't melted much) and drove a few miles away to let out two fucking MICE I caught because mice are a thing up here in the winter apparently???

For anyone who's never lived in a subtropical climate, I can't tell you how different it is. Where you basically never, ever have to worry about what you're wearing because it's either hot or hotter, except for a scattered maybe 2 weeks a year. It is a fundamentally different way of living. When I was in Florida I had like two sweaters and a a hoodie. Nothing for sub freezing weather at all. Here I have to think strategically about which to put on. I bought winter boots but I'm prone to falling so I'm getting fucking spikes to put on my boots. I've never had to think about any of this shit. And also: leggings go under your pants when it's really cold. I never thought of this as a use for leggings in my life.

Another thing: FLORIDA IS FLAT AS HELL. There are no hills or anything. Especially in South Florida, which was built on top of a swamp and sand. Well, now I live in a fucking valley with hills and mountains everywhere and boy, let me tell you it's crazy to be on an incline at a light with someone behind you having never experienced it before, knowing intellectually your car will not fall back into the other car in the .25 seconds it takes to switch from brake to gas but having to rely a little on faith because you've just never been in the situation before in your almost 20 years of driving.

I haven't been checking the board so feel free to let me know coll things I've missed.

I'm pretty stoned, sorry if this is rambling nonsense. Oh yeah Mass has legal weed too. Fuck you, Florida.
where in western mass do you live? exactly where i live!

Old 12-17-2022, 12:12 AM   #10
ilikeplanets
Braindead

So anyway, how else are you liking Massachusetts? Work and friends okay? How are you feeling?

Been hitting up those pot shops, huh? I used to go all the time when I lived in Washington, though the novelty fades quickly. They were always rather dismissive of the flower and were pushy about buying edibles or shatter. I never really developed a preference for either, and just like the taste and smell of really dank weed. Plus I thought the high was better.

It's kind of insane to me that the way I had to procure weed as a teenager is dying. That's definitely a good thing, since I had to put myself in a lot of ridiculous or dangerous situations to get it.

Old 12-17-2022, 12:17 AM   #11
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
So anyway, how else are you liking Massachusetts? Work and friends okay? How are you feeling?

Been hitting up those pot shops, huh? I used to go all the time when I lived in Washington, though the novelty fades quickly. They were always rather dismissive of the flower and were pushy about buying edibles or shatter. I never really developed a preference for either, and just like the taste and smell of really dank weed. Plus I thought the high was better.

It's kind of insane to me that the way I had to procure weed as a teenager is dying. That's definitely a good thing, since I had to put myself in a lot of ridiculous or dangerous situations to get it.
i moved to western mass 15 years ago and it'll be a while before i want to leave, if ever. it's great here. legal weed is only making it better.

Old 12-17-2022, 12:28 AM   #12
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I've lived in every region of the country except New England and the Midwest. I've always been curious and you guys are selling it, except for the weather.

Old 12-17-2022, 12:29 AM   #13
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
winter clothes and darkness
mmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 12-17-2022, 12:30 AM   #14
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
where in western mass do you live? exactly where i live!
I'm near Springfield Where are you?

Old 12-17-2022, 12:30 AM   #15
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
mmmmmmmmmmmm
Get some sun, you vampire!

Old 12-17-2022, 12:33 AM   #16
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I'm near Springfield Where are you?
northampton, messaged you!

Old 12-17-2022, 12:38 AM   #17
cork_soaker
full of longing

Contents of that message?

“Northampton, replied to you!”

Old 12-17-2022, 12:41 AM   #18
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:

Work has been great. Doing some interesting things and still my own boss. I'm feeling good here. I see my friends at least once a week. Much bigger apartment than before. People are almost without exception liberal and generally kind.

I haven't actually ever asked anyone for help in a weed shop. At first I felt weird as hell just going in the first place and I honestly don't believe or know what to believe about all the broscience behind weed so I just want to try shit without someone telling me how it should feel.

I would love to smoke weed but I physically can't do that to my lungs. Maybe I could do a one off here or there but. I really shouldn't even be vaping anything.

I think it's a lot easier for them to push stuff where you don't actually see the weed it came from. I'm sure many edibles are made with dirt shit weed extract (which, who really cares, it's a measured dose and you're not trying to enjoy how it smells/tastes) and some concentrates are definitely, too. I don't claim to know what is what but I'm trying to stick to small operations who don't have any health violations. Oh, I also got a medical card and legit take low doses (not enough to be intoxicated at all) 2x a day. But at night I definitely get proper stoned most of the time. It's really helped a lot of PTSD symptoms for me. I know I have to be careful and honest with my treatment team and I know I can never do other drugs (except maybe one day psychedelics), but so far so good. Before this I hadn't used weed in over a decade.

Old 12-17-2022, 12:44 AM   #19
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

So yeah me and paranoid apparently live like 45 minutes away from each other.

Old 12-17-2022, 12:49 AM   #20
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

This is how nice people are here. I was at a music festival in the summer with my friend and we saw a $20 bill on the ground next to two people. My friend said excuse me I think you dropped it something etc, and none of the four of us wanted to claim it and finally he just took it.

Old 12-17-2022, 12:57 AM   #21
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Taking that 20 for the team!

Old 12-17-2022, 01:32 AM   #22
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
So yeah me and paranoid apparently live like 45 minutes away from each other.
even less than that.

and yes people are extremely nice around here. We're all stoned liberal hippies.

Old 12-17-2022, 02:17 AM   #23
ilikeplanets
Braindead

With accents

Old 12-17-2022, 03:05 PM   #24
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

So good to hear from you reprise after the big move! Would love to see pics if you have any…and you yourself must look so different now I reckon!

Old 12-17-2022, 03:07 PM   #25
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Sorry for the exclamation marks. I am rushing this morning and was trying to convey enthusiasm but it looks a bit extra haha

Old 12-17-2022, 03:35 PM   #26
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

view from my office window

Outside Fenway

Inside Fenway before Paul McCartney concert

soundcheck at Green River Festival

Emily Dickinson's grave

New drumset

Friend's dog

Triple mailbox supremacy. Not really, I just live in an old house split up into three apartments.

Old 12-17-2022, 03:38 PM   #27
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

I'll post some more later.

Old 12-17-2022, 04:53 PM   #28
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Wait, you play the drums? News to me! Cool!

Old 12-17-2022, 05:15 PM   #29
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Wait, you play the drums? News to me! Cool!
I played from for about two years between 12 and 14ish before I moved away and all that. I was thinking about getting a set for a long time and then during the pandemic I got a beginner set (for anyone not intimately familiar with my life that's like 20 years later). Obviously I wasn't very good but there's definitely some basic stuff I didn't really have to re-learn. Then I got to the point where I couldn't get any better on that kit. Just too small, 8" pads, hi hat sucked too. Going to donate that one to a school I think. It's not a super crappy beginner kit (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds) but I guess I'm intermediate at this point. The hardware on this one is sooo much better. The second crash on the right is in a stupid position though and basically unusable, so I got a stand for it and moved it closer to the ride cymbal. The actual drum samples are pretty bad too, but I at least made one kit that sounds OK and you can import whatever samples you want. Haven't messed with that yet.

Last edited by reprise85 : 12-17-2022 at 05:24 PM.

Old 12-17-2022, 06:36 PM   #30
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Fuck yeah, dude