Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2005, 11:37 PM   #61
Deleted_User

Quote:
Originally posted by DeviousJ
You want to pick the parts you want to do john? It just helps me a bit to fill in that list, and it's encouraging!
yeah ill get back to you in about 10 minutes. this computer has no sound so i had to burn it to a computer which DOES have sound but no internet access. fucking frustrating waste of CDRs. oh well. ill get back to you.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:09 AM   #62
Deleted_User

is it alright if i hog that 8 bar solo at the end?

i would like to sing on verse 2 and chorus 3.

and i'll play guitar on verses 3 and four.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:19 AM   #63
Oblivious
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

Absomalutely!

I put you down for the solos and the outro like in the original, but are you gonna record it throughout? It's up to you, you're controlling the level of xmassyness here
yeah i figured i would try my best to follow along with those bits throughout the song.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:23 AM   #64
Deleted_User

hey lee, it might be easier to have people record directly from the same starting point so it isn't a total bitch to edit.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:31 AM   #65
ammy
yer mom

but they would overlap eachother and shit.

anyway.. i can't get the "mic" setup to pick up my voice without lots of static it's bad.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:42 AM   #66
COG
Apocalyptic Poster

I'll do some synth (doesn't have to be a solo, you can throw it in behind the vocals) and I'll do a line, I'm not sure which one, but I'll figure it out tomorrow.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:55 AM   #67
ammy
yer mom

ugh i feel ill.

Last edited by ammy : 12-24-2005 at 05:13 PM.

Old 12-24-2005, 03:03 AM   #68
Mariner
OB-GYN Kenobi

Thumbs up

alright. i've used the zipper on my pants (trousers?) as a percussion instrument. i've got the file saved as an .ogg , lee, just let me know where to send it, and i can give you specifics like how it syncs up w/ the backing track/song, etc. if i have the balls and the mics (my earbuds) work ok, i might do some vocals tomorrow morning, once the downstaris neighbors will only be scared and not woken up by my singing.

Old 12-24-2005, 03:06 AM   #69
ammy
yer mom

omg you-send-it. i have got to hear this.

Old 12-24-2005, 04:56 AM   #70
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed
Lightbulb

I want to yell "NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

that's all I want to do. Fit it in there somehow.

But I really, REALLY want to do it.

If I sober up enough, I'll try to figure out how to get my damn computer to record something.

Think about it, random "NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" in the middle of the song or at the end? Genius.

Old 12-24-2005, 06:03 AM   #71
christian zombie vampires
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Ugly
I want to yell "NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

that's all I want to do. Fit it in there somehow.

But I really, REALLY want to do it.

If I sober up enough, I'll try to figure out how to get my damn computer to record something.

Think about it, random "NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" in the middle of the song or at the end? Genius.
that is the best idea. but i think you should go all the way and also provide evil cackling laughter, like in a metal song. we can add reverb and echo.
either at the beginning as the song fades in and/or as the song fades out.

Old 12-24-2005, 06:45 AM   #72
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

Quote:
Originally posted by christian zombie vampires

that is the best idea. but i think you should go all the way and also provide evil cackling laughter, like in a metal song. we can add reverb and echo.
either at the beginning as the song fades in and/or as the song fades out.
Can do. However, the statement "can do" is based upon if I can get my mutha fuckin computer to record something.

but, if I can, I'm down with an evil laughter and a "NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

Old 12-24-2005, 07:06 AM   #73
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Thumbs up

I will play accordion or e-bow for chorus1.
I want to sing chorus 1, too.

Last edited by RopeyLopey : 12-24-2005 at 09:13 AM.

Old 12-24-2005, 10:14 AM   #74
Geek USA
car wash cunt

well lee.. last night didn't work out like i planned..

actually last night was one of the most awkward moments of my life.

Old 12-24-2005, 10:59 AM   #75
sleeper
Minion of Satan

so should i just contribute one chorus on drums? thatd be fine because the song is like a million minutes long but i just want to know if more would be needed. like who else is going to do drumming for the rest?

and im starting to like this song now. at first it hits you hard with its cheesiness but if you give in to it and just let go, it really reveals itself to be a killer tune. the thing that really did it for me was the midi, or whatever, version. ive always found that midi versions of songs make me appreciate the song more. especially the melody, which i didnt really even notice as being good until i heard that midi flute do it

Old 12-24-2005, 11:10 AM   #76
sleeper
Minion of Satan

and how close to the original do we have to be, deviousj? i know were not going for an exact recreation but at the same time you need to have some limits so that people dont all go and do these wildly varying covers, because then the end result will have no coherence whatsoever. which might be cool though, i dont know

i ask because this drum beat is pretty boring and i really dont want to learn those weird, stilted fills that come in every now and then. just how much of a pastiche are we going for? i think itd be cool to have the whole song twist and zig zag and go all over the place stylistically, but that would onyl work with a skilled editor at the helm, deviousj. do you think you can hack it?

Old 12-24-2005, 11:25 AM   #77
sleeper
Minion of Satan

i was joking about the hack it comment, i know you can hold it together

i say this because you seem to have become pretty aggressive all of a sudden and i dont want to accidentally incur your wrath

Old 12-24-2005, 01:00 PM   #78
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i want to sing something.

hm.

Old 12-24-2005, 01:23 PM   #79
yo soy el mejor

question..! when i try to save something from audacity it only gives me the option of an aup. how do i save it as something different?

ugh. and in my recording you can totally hear my lisp when i say merry christmas.

Old 12-24-2005, 01:44 PM   #80
yo soy el mejor

yeah. i finally figured it out. ammy's didnt work for me.

oh my god.

http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...Q0IQLBXC3QBLSR

hey devious j! if it sucks or unusable let me know. i have to get ready for work now.

Old 12-24-2005, 02:49 PM   #81
Oblivious
Apocalyptic Poster

Exclamation

question!

should i record along with the entire song doing the appropriate bits along the way(which leaves for lots of dead air on my recording) or should i make one recording that can be reused for all the bells parts without actually playing along with the entire song. does anyone get what i'm asking? how is everyone else doing this?

Old 12-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #82
Oblivious
Apocalyptic Poster

well since there's no one around to answer me i suppose i'll just do what i want with it and then lee can do what he wants with the recording.

lee i know that you're a busy dude and really you are the best for orchestrating this and i think that the end result will be massively entertaining. and even though it most likely won't be done by tomorrow - it's still the holiday season through the new year right?

Old 12-24-2005, 03:51 PM   #83
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Talking

Mass reply post!

Quote:
Originally posted by refills 79 cents
hey lee, it might be easier to have people record directly from the same starting point so it isn't a total bitch to edit.
Nah, it's really easy to move things around and set the start points, so just recording the bit you're doing is fine, so long as you're in time with the backing track and you tell me where in the song it's meant to go

Quote:
Originally posted by Mariner
alright. i've used the zipper on my pants (trousers?) as a percussion instrument. i've got the file saved as an .ogg , lee, just let me know where to send it, and i can give you specifics like how it syncs up w/ the backing track/song, etc. if i have the balls and the mics (my earbuds) work ok, i might do some vocals tomorrow morning, once the downstaris neighbors will only be scared and not woken up by my singing.
Cool beans, can you upload it to yousendit?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ugly
Random NOOOOOO is doable, if you want it less random there's a bit at around 2:22 in the original song where he ends the chorus with a little 'ohhhhhh!' If you see where I'm going with this.

Actually I just thought of someone doing a death metal growl leading straight into a boppy synth solo

Quote:
Originally posted by ammy
i cannot believe i am posting this. seriously.
Sorry ammy, you uploaded the wrong thing - you need to do 'Export as OGG' or 'Export as WAV'. And don't worry about it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek USA
well lee.. last night didn't work out like i planned..

actually last night was one of the most awkward moments of my life.
Because of the singing I hope

Quote:
Originally posted by sleeper
and how close to the original do we have to be, deviousj? i know were not going for an exact recreation but at the same time you need to have some limits so that people dont all go and do these wildly varying covers, because then the end result will have no coherence whatsoever. which might be cool though, i dont know
If you want to drum the whole thing, that's cool - if nothing else it'll mean we do have drums for the whole thing if no-one else contributes in that area. If you just want to do a bit I can loop it or whatever.

And go as close as you like, I mean on the drum track I made I did some of the fills to make it easier for people to follow, but I didn't make the whole thing accurate. I would try to keep it fairly close - well I mean, go at it from a perspective where everyone else is going to be following the original quite closely, so your bit will 'fit' even if it's not completely faithful to the original. It would be really cool to make a radically different version, but it would be a nightmare to orchestrate. I've never really done anything like this before anyway

Quote:
Originally posted by yo soy el mejor
yeah. i finally figured it out. ammy's didnt work for me.

oh my god.

http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...Q0IQLBXC3QBLSR

hey devious j! if it sucks or unusable let me know. i have to get ready for work now.
It's good! I'm putting these bits into a basic track so I can hear how it's all working. We should get more people whispering the 'Merry Christmas' bit

Quote:
Originally posted by Oblivious
question!

should i record along with the entire song doing the appropriate bits along the way(which leaves for lots of dead air on my recording) or should i make one recording that can be reused for all the bells parts without actually playing along with the entire song. does anyone get what i'm asking? how is everyone else doing this?
Hmm! You can do it either way, it would probably be easier to record them as separate parts though since there's only a few - just let me know what you want to go where. You can just use one part and have me reuse it if you want, or you can go for the more organic feel of separate takes

And this will be a song for all year round

Old 12-24-2005, 04:01 PM   #84
sleeper
Minion of Satan

Quote:

If you want to drum the whole thing, that's cool - if nothing else it'll mean we do have drums for the whole thing if no-one else contributes in that area. If you just want to do a bit I can loop it or whatever.

And go as close as you like, I mean on the drum track I made I did some of the fills to make it easier for people to follow, but I didn't make the whole thing accurate. I would try to keep it fairly close - well I mean, go at it from a perspective where everyone else is going to be following the original quite closely, so your bit will 'fit' even if it's not completely faithful to the original. It would be really cool to make a radically different version, but it would be a nightmare to orchestrate. I've never really done anything like this before anyway

i was kind of hoping some other people would share the drumming duties, even if it meant using a drum machine or fruity loops or whatever. but if i have to, if no one else wnats to, ill do the whole song

the only problem with the beat is that its pretty much just kick-snare the whole way through with little fruity hihat things and then some really awkward fills. i was thinking about doing the beat largely the same but just throwing in some extra kick and snare things as the music requires it

like heres roughyl what im thinking about doing

http://s57.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...F25BIFLLBVIK9R

but like cleaning it up sonically and, i dont know, adding in some tambourine or something so it isnt so spare. but i guess this is what you mean, spare is good in this case. like i have to do whatever with the fact that its going to be completely cluttered in mind. so i guess spare would help

Old 12-24-2005, 04:07 PM   #85
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by COG
I'll do some synth (doesn't have to be a solo, you can throw it in behind the vocals) and I'll do a line, I'm not sure which one, but I'll figure it out tomorrow.
Do you know which parts you want to do synth for? It doesn't matter if you're not sure, but if you have an idea I'll add it to the list.

Oh yeah, Jan and ******, and anyone else really, do any of you guys mind sharing choruses if enough people want to sing lines? For that celebrity singalong vibe

Old 12-24-2005, 04:17 PM   #86
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by sleeper

i was kind of hoping some other people would share the drumming duties, even if it meant using a drum machine or fruity loops or whatever. but if i have to, if no one else wnats to, ill do the whole song

the only problem with the beat is that its pretty much just kick-snare the whole way through with little fruity hihat things and then some really awkward fills. i was thinking about doing the beat largely the same but just throwing in some extra kick and snare things as the music requires it

like heres roughyl what im thinking about doing

http://s57.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...F25BIFLLBVIK9R

but like cleaning it up sonically and, i dont know, adding in some tambourine or something so it isnt so spare. but i guess this is what you mean, spare is good in this case. like i have to do whatever with the fact that its going to be completely cluttered in mind. so i guess spare would help
Well ideally, I'd like a bunch of people to do different parts, so one person drums on the choruses and one in the verses, or one person plays on one chorus and someone else uses loops for another, just to get a really collaborative thing going on. So yeah, I'd like that, but if you contribute a full drum track then it's a great start, and hopefully more people will add stuff to build it up.

That clip sounds good though, I really like the hi-hat sound at the beginning. Sparse would be useful since I have to mix this thing, but it's up to you. Oblivious is adding some tambourine for some sections and Mariner's zipping his pants up and down rhythmically, so there will be more going on in there on the percussive side.

Oh yeah, I'm not being aggressive, I'm just taking control, so fuck you

Old 12-24-2005, 04:24 PM   #87
Mariner
OB-GYN Kenobi

alright:

here's the zipper percussion track. the first zipper sound should match up with the second beat (the first upbeat) of the backing track. let me know if it doesn't work or doesn't make sense. i recorded for the entire song, so it's a big/long file. all i have is a crappy pair of earbuds, so it's extremely lo fi.

http://download.yousendit.com/E781381559F7D514

and i tried to do the vocals for 4 bar chorus 3 (1:49), but the mike wouldn't pick me up at all unless it was like in my mouth, so they're pretty breath-y. i couldn't get it to record me any louder, either, so i'm guessing they might not work. here they are anyway:

take 1:
http://download.yousendit.com/3CF0C8284093D1D7

take 2:
http://download.yousendit.com/9855322D727BFD5F

take 3:
http://download.yousendit.com/50D54163C0D97333

Old 12-24-2005, 04:28 PM   #88
sleeper
Minion of Satan

do you know what im thinking? zipper solo

damn that shit is hot

we should closely collaborate on this mariner. we have to be on the same wavelength or else it will all collapse

Old 12-24-2005, 04:41 PM   #89
Mariner
OB-GYN Kenobi

i'm in, sleeper

and guys: i found a mic. so forget those last vocal takes, here's a decent one. i made it extra cheesy just for you. let me know what you think.

chorus 3 (1:49) take 1:
http://download.yousendit.com/D6A059C390EBB1FC

i can re-record the zipper if you want a hifi-er version

Old 12-24-2005, 04:44 PM   #90
ammy
yer mom

i thought you'd be able to use it - since it's a freaking audacity file. wtf? sorry. i'm grumpy. it's too early to have to hear my own voice.

both are almost identical.

http://s53.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...C2J4FE1LP0C5RC
http://s53.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...30CTPVGNF24E0L