Apocalyptic Poster

welcome to new england

Old 12-18-2022, 07:32 AM   #32
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
So yeah me and paranoid apparently live like 45 minutes away from each other.
Go see his band Fred Cracklin, they're awesome!

Old 12-18-2022, 11:05 AM   #33
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Definitely planning on it, might be as early as NYE.

Old 12-18-2022, 11:17 AM   #34
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

It would be really nice if paranoid booked my band to play with his it would be like netphoria christmas

Old 12-18-2022, 11:40 AM   #35
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Welcome to the north east!
Quote:
Another thing: FLORIDA IS FLAT AS HELL. There are no hills or anything.
I don't think people appreciate this until they are in the hills. In SW PA on the edge of the Appalachian mountains, bad roads are outright dangerous because of how steep every road here is, even main roads. A few inches wouldn't be bad if it weren't for the hills you have to navigate.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:42 AM   #36
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

Quote:
it's crazy to be on an incline at a light with someone behind you having never experienced it before, knowing intellectually your car will not fall back into the other car in the .25 seconds it takes to switch from brake to gas
This was really fun when I was learning stick. I once stalled out twice on a steep incine when a light turned green because I was so panicked about rolling into the guy behind me. Can't imagine he understood what was happening.

Quote:
LOL "DICK BORN"

General car-in-snow advice: When you know it's going to snow, tilt your car's wipers up and out. Makes it so much easier to dig out in the morning or w/e; not only do they get in the way when you're clearing the windshield, but they're liable to freeze to it. // I just bought some de-icer spray this season and it's made scraping the ice off my car a lot easier; you spray that shit on, wait a minute, and the ice just slides right off with the scraper. Haven't had the chance to try it on really thick ice yet. I kind of worry about putting chemicals all over the driveway/into the environment, but also, I really fucking hate scraping ice. // Test your brakes a lot when there's snow on the road; chances are good you'll need to brake much earlier than you think. Like any time you turn onto a street that's plowed differently from what you were just on; the amount you might slide varies crazily.

Old 12-19-2022, 11:10 AM   #37
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
This was really fun when I was learning stick. I once stalled out twice on a steep incine when a light turned green because I was so panicked about rolling into the guy behind me. Can't imagine he understood what was happening.

LOL "DICK BORN"

General car-in-snow advice: When you know it's going to snow, tilt your car's wipers up and out. Makes it so much easier to dig out in the morning or w/e; not only do they get in the way when you're clearing the windshield, but they're liable to freeze to it. // I just bought some de-icer spray this season and it's made scraping the ice off my car a lot easier; you spray that shit on, wait a minute, and the ice just slides right off with the scraper. Haven't had the chance to try it on really thick ice yet. I kind of worry about putting chemicals all over the driveway/into the environment, but also, I really fucking hate scraping ice. // Test your brakes a lot when there's snow on the road; chances are good you'll need to brake much earlier than you think. Like any time you turn onto a street that's plowed differently from what you were just on; the amount you might slide varies crazily.
lol I didn't even notice DICK BORN right there

thank you for all that advice. I am lucky that I basically never *need* to leave the house. I did have to dig out for the first time last week, but it was like 3 days after the snow fell so it wasn't that bad. I mean it definitely took like 20 minutes but other than that it was OK. I'm assuming it will get much worse though as the season goes on. Good advice with the brake testing, too. When I did drive last week I managed to find an area going into a not-often-used parking lot that was frozen/not de-iced. Definitely a trip to drive on.

Old 12-19-2022, 01:31 PM   #38
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

i made nearly the same move, from the same part of florida (had lived there since age 6) to buffalo ny, and have lived "up north" for 13 years now. other notable observations, possibly more midwest-influenced:

- the air is DRY. i'm convinced growing up in a really humid climate hampered my skin's ability to respond to dry conditions.
- bugs die off every winter. i rarely deal with cockroaches or other insect pests.
- heating can be smelly and noisy depending on the system. my old office had steam radiators that were loud and smelled like burning dust.
- basements can be cool, but also spooky. we didn't have those in florida. now i have access to a space to put things like workout equipment and store my bike, even though i rent an apartment.
- summer doesn't ACTUALLY start until June and is decisively over by October. seasonal weather can be wack.
- snow is pretty and magical when it's fresh but it's disgusting and hazardous from then on.

Old 12-19-2022, 02:32 PM   #39
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

Oh yeah, it gets dry as fuck. Today's the first day it's been really cold here and I can already see my hands drying up. And if you start waking up with a scratchy throat, still feeling tired, or just shitty in some indefinable way, try running a humidifier in your bedroom overnight.

Old 12-19-2022, 04:30 PM   #40
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Thanks for the tips. I definitely need a humidifier. I can tell the cold is messing with my asthma. Skin is OK so far but lips are chapped for sure.

I have steam radiators and they make noise and constantly make me think I left a faucet on but other than that they are working/smelling fine. I have to up the pressure every week or two but that's no big deal, it's just a gauge in the basement.

Speaking of basement, there is one in this house but it's shared of course. I have a washer/dryer down there and I'm sure I could store some stuff if I really wanted. But yeah, basements are weird, I forgot about that whole thing.

The weekend I moved in (mid-May) was actually one of the warmest weekends of the entire year, funny enough. Soon as we arrived Fri night I went to Home Depot and got an A/C and my friend and I put it together in the window at midnight. Good times, lol. Such bad directions. Then I didn't need to use it again for like a month.

Old 12-19-2022, 06:47 PM   #41
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
Go see his band Fred Cracklin, they're awesome!
<3 <3 I still feel like I owe you a real set though, although the one you saw was special in its own way.

Old 12-19-2022, 06:48 PM   #42
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourruseoffools View Post
It would be really nice if paranoid booked my band to play with his it would be like netphoria christmas
where you located again? I could slap something together

Old 12-19-2022, 07:15 PM   #43
ilikeplanets
Braindead

If that happens someone needs to film it for us faraway folk

Old 12-20-2022, 08:39 AM   #44
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
where you located again? I could slap something together
Ct <3

Old 12-21-2022, 01:37 PM   #45
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
I just bought some de-icer spray this season and it's made scraping the ice off my car a lot easier; you spray that shit on, wait a minute, and the ice just slides right off with the scraper.
Update: Fuck this stuff. It's a lot colder here today than it has been. This stuff easily cleared off the ice this morning... and then it, itself, immediately refroze on the windows. It was impossible to get it totally off.

Maybe there's some trick to this that the directions on the bottle don't cover, but it seems like I've been bamboozled.

Old 12-21-2022, 10:22 PM   #46
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

dang that sucks. that's like, the one thing it really shouldn't do. like at least if it just didn't work it wouldn't fuck your windshield up

Old 12-22-2022, 11:48 AM   #47
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Lightbulb

I've been reading about it and it seems like everyone says you just wipe it off with the windshield wipers/fluid, but that wasn't doing it for me. I may have just gotten something shitty. I see you can make your own with rubbing alcohol, dish soap, and water, though, and I'll probably give that a shot.

Old 12-22-2022, 12:24 PM   #48
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I definitely need a humidifier. I can tell the cold is messing with my asthma. Skin is OK so far but lips are chapped for sure.

I have steam radiators and they make noise and constantly make me think I left a faucet on but other than that they are working/smelling fine. I have to up the pressure every week or two but that's no big deal, it's just a gauge in the basement.
when i was a kid my mom and grandma would simmer potpourri on the stove during winter. I thought it was to hide the stench in our home, but now i think it was just to help humidify the dry air

Old 12-22-2022, 06:05 PM   #49
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

I know I'm not the only one but...

45 degree swing, while raining

Old 12-22-2022, 09:27 PM   #50
ilikeplanets
Braindead

The high today was 16. It's about 8 degrees now.

Old 12-22-2022, 09:28 PM   #51
ilikeplanets
Braindead

It's supposed to reenter the 40s tomorrow. Yay?

Old 12-28-2022, 07:36 AM   #52
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:

view from my office window

Outside Fenway

Inside Fenway before Paul McCartney concert

soundcheck at Green River Festival

Emily Dickinson's grave

New drumset

Friend's dog

Triple mailbox supremacy. Not really, I just live in an old house split up into three apartments.
Wow. Thank you so much for sharing these. I can’t even imagine what it’s like for winter to be so cold and go on for so long.

Also, how amazing is U.S. citizenship - you have citizenship to the better part of a continent. Amazing to me that you moved here from a place that is in a state of endless summer. It’s the same landmass and the same country.

Old 12-28-2022, 03:38 PM   #53
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Yeah it is pretty crazy that you can just move wherever and just establish citizenship by renting or buying something and getting an ID.

Old 12-28-2022, 03:49 PM   #54
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Is Australia not as diverse with its climate? I know there's large parts of it deemed uninhabitable.

Old 12-28-2022, 03:53 PM   #55
ilikeplanets
Braindead

What's crazy to me is the high potential to see actual wild animals on the regular

Old 01-01-2023, 04:07 AM   #56
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Red face

Quote:

view from my office window
Crazy. It’s like there’s no colour.

Old 01-01-2023, 04:09 AM   #57
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
Is Australia not as diverse with its climate? I know there's large parts of it deemed uninhabitable.
Australia is basically hot, with Melbourne getting a bit cooler in the winter. But not too bad.

Old 01-04-2023, 04:47 PM   #58
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i got subjected to that -12 F bull crap on christmas eve watching the bills game with tommy and his family. more than half left at half-time but i stuck it out until the end of the 3rd quarter. never had frost/wind burn until that day and the weather turned my beer to slush. oooowwweee.

Old 01-04-2023, 05:25 PM   #59
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

i know, right? lol

Old 01-04-2023, 05:27 PM   #60
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Also, welcome to New England, reprise!