Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2023, 07:44 AM   #91
Morlock
Ownz

I'd be interested if they fixed the brickwalled mix.

Old 02-06-2023, 09:05 AM   #92
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

I don't care if it's via Zuzu's tbh, I just beg him to put the set out on CD via Zuzu's as well as vinyl. Stick a show on vinyl to bait the completionists, sure.... but don't paywall Zwan behind a vinyl box set. I am not ever buying vinyl.

I'm from the 1990's not the 1960's.

Old 02-06-2023, 10:15 AM   #93
LaBelle
Socialphobic

The only Zwan thing i'd be interested is if they put out a full high quality recording of the first concert.
It was all downhill after that.

Old 02-06-2023, 11:24 AM   #94
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxUpDoc View Post
I don't care if it's via Zuzu's tbh, I just beg him to put the set out on CD via Zuzu's as well as vinyl. Stick a show on vinyl to bait the completionists, sure.... but don't paywall Zwan behind a vinyl box set. I am not ever buying vinyl.

I'm from the 1990's not the 1960's.
Bill's reaction

Old 02-06-2023, 12:43 PM   #95
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
Bill's reaction

Listen, he got himself into a little financial trouble with the wresslin'...

Old 02-06-2023, 02:29 PM   #96
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

got any proof of that, chief? For all we know he's sipping gold-leaf-infused tea at the lakefront castle while Yoko Corgan is whipping employees down in the cript.

Old 02-06-2023, 04:50 PM   #97
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

msots is t r a s h

Old 02-06-2023, 05:08 PM   #98
Ram27
dumb

i'm lowkey happy with what we have now. the 2001 shows sound really really good, cafe de la danse is brilliant, what else do you need

i'm just saying this because it won't be out til 2033 ofc

Old 02-07-2023, 11:46 AM   #99
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
i'm lowkey happy with what we have now. the 2001 shows sound really really good, cafe de la danse is brilliant, what else do you need

i'm just saying this because it won't be out til 2033 ofc
Have there been any upgrades to the 2001 shows? Granted, the ones like Glass House sounded good, but did I miss some recent SBDs or anything that leaked?

Old 02-07-2023, 11:49 AM   #100
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
msots is t r a s h
Eh, really it’s not. It sounds like a continuation of the “Untitled” style. It’s like a happier sounding Machina. It sounds like a goddamn masterpiece compared to anything post-2007 that’s for sure.

Old 02-07-2023, 11:54 AM   #101
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
It sounds like a continuation of the “Untitled” style.
this is not a pro to me, lol. actually it's kind of amazing he was able to make something that bad during the original run, coolest thing about it (much like most of ZG & the Zwan album, really) is the drumming & Bill's leads

Old 02-07-2023, 11:56 AM   #102
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Untitled is decent. C’mon.

Old 02-07-2023, 11:57 AM   #103
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

combine the standouts of that one, ZG, & throw in Loki Cat and you have a borderline post-Machina masterpiece tho

Old 02-07-2023, 12:12 PM   #104
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxUpDoc View Post
Untitled is decent. C’mon.
it's the first instance of that Oceania-type "see, I can do this type of thing whenever I want!" bullshit that just does nothing for me & I know I'm not alone there

there are a couple of moments Bill can pull off that type of thing but it often comes off as "fake happy" and he's never sounded more uninspired than on songs like that

That's The Way, Perfect & several others work 'cause they are bittersweet, there's a bit of melancholy and something else behind the deceptively positive front. when the song doesn't have that, it just bllloooows m8!

Old 02-07-2023, 12:37 PM   #105
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
this is not a pro to me, lol. actually it's kind of amazing he was able to make something that bad during the original run, coolest thing about it (much like most of ZG & the Zwan album, really) is the drumming & Bill's leads
Untitled is the first Corgan song where I was like "well that's a melody but there's something wrong with it." Referring to the verses, especially the first one. Not that it's bad, necessarily, but like it's not quite complete? It feels like he's been doing it constantly since around Monuments. I know that's not very descriptive but maybe someone knows what I mean. Like the hook part of the verse is "feel love all around" clearly, and that is catchy, but the rest of the verse feels like it's just trying to get to that point.

Old 02-07-2023, 12:46 PM   #106
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

You guys are fucken nuts. Untitled is the last true OG SP song, the swan song if you will.

Don't you get that sense of urgency, that feeling of "we had a good run, it was quite a ride, friends".

Old 02-07-2023, 01:23 PM   #107
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

How could anyone not like "Untitled?" It showed Billy still had the ability to write great songs—and great songs with hooks!

Zwan definitely expanded on that, but save for the random song here or there post Zeitgeist, I can count the number of songs on one hand that have anything that resembles a hook.

Old 02-07-2023, 01:25 PM   #108
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I have to say that the guitar tones were particularly good on MSotS. That Diezel and 5150 shit sounded great.

Old 02-07-2023, 03:11 PM   #109
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Untitled is the first Corgan song where I was like "well that's a melody but there's something wrong with it." Referring to the verses, especially the first one. Not that it's bad, necessarily, but like it's not quite complete? It feels like he's been doing it constantly since around Monuments. I know that's not very descriptive but maybe someone knows what I mean. Like the hook part of the verse is "feel love all around" clearly, and that is catchy, but the rest of the verse feels like it's just trying to get to that point.
"Listen, listen / This is the mark I cannot place / This is the wish I dare not leave" in The CameraEye.

Old 02-07-2023, 04:18 PM   #110
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
You guys are fucken nuts. Untitled is the last true OG SP song, the swan song if you will.

Don't you get that sense of urgency, that feeling of "we had a good run, it was quite a ride, friends".
I didn't say I don't like it. It's just not as good as most SP things. It's still probably somewhere around a 6-7/10.

Old 02-07-2023, 04:24 PM   #111
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairun View Post
"Listen, listen / This is the mark I cannot place / This is the wish I dare not leave" in The CameraEye.
I actually don't think this is as bad because the verse is complex and not a half-line hook. But it's definitely in the ballpark. I'm not sure why he didn't change the lyrics so he didn't have to stuff them in. It wouldn't have been that hard.

Listen, listen
This, the mark I cannot place
It's the wish I dare not leave

The "thisisthemark" and "thisisthewish" rushed melody, yeah, doesn't quite work. Ok you convinced me.

Old 02-07-2023, 05:13 PM   #112
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Untitled has a bit of that pisces sound of just being a song kinda free from having to fit into a huge album or done without any great goals in mind.

It's just a simple straight forward poppy song. I like it.

Old 02-07-2023, 05:15 PM   #113
eyeboogers
Demi-God

It works, the "rushed melody" of that in the context almost has the effect of a camera lens rapid zooming.

Old 02-07-2023, 06:07 PM   #114
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

Never made a connection to a camera zooming, but I do like the rush of those first lines of the verses a lot, just contributes to the air of contained panic they have for me

Like if I directed a video for it, I'd have him being chased by cops with dogs, through a forest at night, y'know? He's staying one step ahead but they're gonna find him soon. Like he's singing the lines as he catches his breath against a tree before taking off again, just spitting those lines out

Probably has nothing to do with the song, who fuckin' cares

Old 02-07-2023, 09:20 PM   #115
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Would be better than the real video. Or did it have a video? I might just be thinking of the other video they released

God, The Camera Eye is so good compared to most things since. I mean it's legit good, but it's so good compared to the new stuff

Last edited by reprise85 : 02-07-2023 at 09:27 PM.

Old 02-08-2023, 07:54 AM   #116
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Zwan is amazing, and if you don't agree, you're literally a moronic fucking idiot.

It's as simple as that.

Old 02-10-2023, 06:23 AM   #117
Morlock
Ownz

The Camera Eye is one of my favourite songs on TFE, and I really like that album.

Zwan is pretty good when you consider the stuff that's not on the album. Friends as Lovers? Never Give Up? Spilled Milk? How is that shit not on the record?

Old 02-10-2023, 11:52 AM   #118
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlock View Post
Zwan is pretty good when you consider the stuff that's not on the album. Friends as Lovers? Never Give Up? Spilled Milk? How is that shit not on the record?
Between the songs already on MSotS and studio versions of the stuff that didn't make it, ("Cast a Stone," "Revolve," "Friends as Lovers," "Never Give Up," "Spilled Milk," "Chrysanthemum," all the stuff on the Spun soundtrack, etc.) Zwan could've easily put out a killer double album.

Old 02-10-2023, 12:50 PM   #119
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

In Untitled he does that thing where he sort of skips a bar or two and it rushes the song along. I don't mean just the weird time signature. It's the same with I Of The Mourning, he does that throughout that song and several others on Machina.

I feel there's a great song somewhere in Untitled, but it just didn't come out. The production and mix / master just adds to the claustrophobic nature of the track.

And the fact that it's actually called "Untitled" doesn't help.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:11 PM   #120
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

The guitar jam at the end of Untitled is god tier wtf?