Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2022, 04:02 PM   #1
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Default High School tv series soundtrack

The new "High School" tv series is much better than I expected. They filmed it in the high school that Tegan & Sara's actually attended. They do a great job making it look and feel like the 90s. The clothing and hair styles are perfect.

The twins playing Tegan and Sara are really good and kind of look like them too.

But the best part is the soundtrack. Watching them listen to and disect the lyrics to Disarm in their bedroom is kind of amazing. Every episode is packed with 90s songs. I'm surprised because the cost of putting all that music in a 30 min show has to be expensive.

Episode 3 includes them going to a Green Day concert.

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 10-15-2022 at 04:10 PM.

Old 10-15-2022, 07:40 PM   #2
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Found a list of songs by episode. Two SP songs so far. Plume and Disarm

https://www.tune-list.com/high-schoo...gan-sara-2022/

Old 10-15-2022, 07:46 PM   #3
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I honestly think they look nothing like T+S, but I think they do a good job.

Was surprised to hear Plume. Like I've previously mentioned, Sara was (is?) a pretty big Pumpkinhead. The cover of Today really captured the spirit of the song, even if they shied away from the lead guitar parts.

I found the Green Day concert scene kind of funny, because obviously Green Day wasn't on set performing so it was all in silhouette or zoomed at Tegan and Maya.

The show has a cool vibe but I'm very much not a teen, so it's hard for me to feel vicariously excited about discovering drugs, music, and sex when my teens/20s were filled with overindulgence in all of the above.

Old 10-15-2022, 08:12 PM   #4
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I will say this has me excited for the full release of Crybaby, though from I've heard so far it is very layered, glossy, and not 90s. Should be cool!

Old 10-16-2022, 05:40 AM   #5
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Did they inklude NOFX's Creeping out Sara in the soundtrack? Should be almost mandatory for a project like that, methinks.

Old 10-17-2022, 04:18 PM   #6
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I honestly think they look nothing like T+S, but I think they do a good job.

yeah, they don't look like T&S. But they got the hair, clothes so perfect that it's scary. It looks just like all the old high school pics I've seen of them.

Was surprised to hear Plume. Like I've previously mentioned, Sara was (is?) a pretty big Pumpkinhead. The cover of Today really captured the spirit of the song, even if they shied away from the lead guitar parts.

I found the Green Day concert scene kind of funny, because obviously Green Day wasn't on set performing so it was all in silhouette or zoomed at Tegan and Maya.

The show has a cool vibe but I'm very much not a teen, so it's hard for me to feel vicariously excited about discovering drugs, music, and sex when my teens/20s were filled with overindulgence in all of the above.
while my teen years were obviously very different from theirs the weird isolation and fear of being a closeted queer kid hits a lot of chords for me. It's excrutiating to watch them struggle with the "secret" of being gay. Cause i know that feeling.

My bio dad said to me in High School during my goth phase "you can dress any way you want, as long as you're not a faggot." And I let that dictate way too much of my life.

I also kind of feel that strained relationship between them. My oldest sister and I kind of went through that when we got to high school. And didn't really get closer again until a few years ago. A lot of it for me was being a closeted queer kid and not knowing how to deal with it, so I kind of cut myself off from my family members, especially my sister at a time in our lives when we were both being neglected and abused and needed each other.

Old 10-17-2022, 04:20 PM   #7
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
I will say this has me excited for the full release of Crybaby, though from I've heard so far it is very layered, glossy, and not 90s. Should be cool!
I preordered the deluxe vinyl packaged. Hopefully it'll be here next week!!!

Old 10-17-2022, 04:37 PM   #8
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Are you going to a show? They're coming to Portland 6 days after the Pumpkins, and I can't afford both that close together (and obviously I have super limited childcare help) so I chose SP this time. I'm still super interested in this tour so if you go lmk how it is!

Old 10-17-2022, 04:39 PM   #9
ilikeplanets
Braindead

That whole experience sounds miserable and unfair, and I'm glad you're on the other side of it now. Sad that so many people relate to external and internalized homophobia.

Old 10-17-2022, 08:49 PM   #10
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Are you going to a show? They're coming to Portland 6 days after the Pumpkins, and I can't afford both that close together (and obviously I have super limited childcare help) so I chose SP this time. I'm still super interested in this tour so if you go lmk how it is!
I'd like to see them again. I saw them right before the Pandemic hit. But no plans right now.

I'll never give Billy another dime of my money. So no SP for me. All the shows I've seen in the past will need to be enough. Kind of sad cause the first time I saw them was I THINK right before Gish came out. LOL I got dragged to a show (might have been at the Metro... i don't quite remember) by a friend of mine way way back and I didn't like it. I thought it was too loud and the band sounded to me like they couldn't make up their minds whether they were hippy or alternative. That was when I was so deep into industrial music I didn't really want to hear anything else. Took another couple years before i liked SP

Old 10-17-2022, 09:45 PM   #11
ilikeplanets
Braindead

That must have been weird to have known that you saw a rare, pivotal moment way before becoming a fan.

I saw T+S only once on the Love You To Death tour. They sounded fine but could have been a little more lively. They seem excited about this album so I bet they are more high energy. If I could I would buy a ticket for you to the Portland show and we could go together. But I just got a new car and am still making IVF loan payments! Maybe next time!

Last edited by ilikeplanets : 10-17-2022 at 10:38 PM.

Old 10-20-2022, 08:03 PM   #12
LaBelle
Socialphobic

It's not streaming anywhere in Brazil which is a hate crime, imo.

Old 10-22-2022, 12:49 AM   #13
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Have any of you listened to Tegan and Sara's old demo tapes? They're easy to find on YouTube. A whole ass grunge album for sure, I actually largely prefer those tapes to a couple of their releases. They're 100% stripped down, literally just them and a guitar.

Old 10-23-2022, 02:29 PM   #14
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Are we talking about Crybaby here? Do we need a different thread? Did anyone listen to it?

It's pretty weird

Old 10-23-2022, 02:32 PM   #15
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Musically I am trying to understand it, lyrically it falls flat for me

It's pretty apparent they need to stop writing about heartbreak and bad relationships when they've been in stable relationships and comfortable with themselves for 10+ years.

I'm not saying they should stop making music by any means, just that it is probably time for a topic shift because those emotions don't seem to leap out from their songs in the same way anymore