Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2023, 08:12 AM   #61
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

James? Well he is back as a touring musician, but honestly there isnt any creative input from james. Either billy doesnt allow that or james just doesnt give a fucky

Old 05-20-2023, 08:58 AM   #62
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPumpkinsUK View Post

I think the defining moment was in response to seeing a random post in a Facebook group from someone calling James Iha a piece of shit and everyone was dogpiling in response. I got kicked out of the group for defending James and was put on some secret "warning list" because I was a danger to Billy or some bullshit, I lost the screenshot that someone sent me of it long ago. These are probably the same people now trying to kiss James' ass now he's returned.
Why is it still like this

Old 05-20-2023, 05:18 PM   #63
majesty
Pledge

For me IT was The Future Embrace.

Old 05-20-2023, 05:24 PM   #64
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

yikes!

would love to get your "play by play" on ATUM and/or CYR!

Old 05-20-2023, 08:21 PM   #65
SPumpkinsUK
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
You mean you've been on this forum recently enough to see this thread but never been curious just to check out anything from Monuments / Shiny 1 / Cyr / Atum / Zodeon?
I'm aware of them. I still have a few friends who are still into them and post regularly about the band, but I don't have any interest in hearing them for myself. When I burnt my bridges I did it in a very public way and decided to scorch the earth along with it.

I probably should give them a try out of curiosity as I know a few people who would lose their mind if I ever did so.

I know that James returned and I don't know how I feel about that. If I want to think positive then I hope that he and Billy have reconciled and they're just having some good times together again.

And for the record, TheFutureEmbrace is a solid album. I haven't heard any other solo material from "WPC" since then so I can't really compare it with any other offerings. I managed to catch a live show and I went in blind, it's one of the most surreal moments of my life.

Old 05-21-2023, 05:46 AM   #66
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPumpkinsUK View Post
And for the record, TheFutureEmbrace is a solid album. I haven't heard any other solo material from "WPC" since then so I can't really compare it with any other offerings. I managed to catch a live show and I went in blind, it's one of the most surreal moments of my life.
It's all acoustic. Some of it is quite nice, there's moments on Ogilala which are really beautiful. You have to accept the voice though.

Cotillons is overlong, I don't think I've ever listened to the whole thing, but it does have three really good tracks (Neptulius, Fragile The Spark, and the title track). Again, YMMV.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:38 PM   #67
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, I like about half of TFE, maybe a little more. There is some shit on there but I really like Mina Loy, The Camera Eye, Walking Shade, and even the much-maligned Pretty, Pretty Star. It's not a great album but I don't think it tainted Billy's brand any more than he already had at that point. Shit like Blinking While Fisting or just acting like a massive asshole after the disbanding Zwan probably did much worse for his reputation back then.

I also think Zeitgeist did a lot of damage. I think that was the moment that could have reestablished that band as a major force in the way that their contemporaries still are (Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, etc.). And I don't even think the album is bad; it's just... average. It needed to be epic to make a real impact. And half of the best songs (Stellar, Zeitgeist, Gossamer) that he wrote in that era he either left off the album entirely or only included as special tracks. I also think that only Jimmy coming back caused debate about whether it was truly a reunion.

I didn't mind American Gothic but most of the Teargarden shit was just embarrassing. Were GLOW and Superchrist part of Teargarden? Either way, those two tracks were so fucking stupid. I can't believe he made videos for each one, and even had the nerve to wear the Zero shirt in one. We were a far fucking cry from Mellon Collie at that point, Bill.

Old 05-24-2023, 01:21 PM   #68
phang
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
I didn't mind American Gothic but most of the Teargarden shit was just embarrassing. Were GLOW and Superchrist part of Teargarden?
No, they were Zeitgeist-era songs, as was American Gothic. Superchrist was played on the 2007 reunion tours, and GLOW was a single, mainly released for Guitar Hero promotion (and a studio take of Superchrist as a B-side). Jimmy was involved on all of these, but then ducked out in early 2009.

A Song For A Son was the first song released for Teargarden (Dec 2009), which was also the start of the Mike Byrne era.

Old 05-24-2023, 01:33 PM   #69
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by phang View Post
No, they were Zeitgeist-era songs, as was American Gothic. Superchrist was played on the 2007 reunion tours, and GLOW was a single, mainly released for Guitar Hero promotion (and a studio take of Superchrist as a B-side). Jimmy was involved on all of these, but then ducked out in early 2009.

A Song For A Son was the first song released for Teargarden (Dec 2009), which was also the start of the Mike Byrne era.
Ah, okay. Thanks for that. I guess I could have looked it up, but I'm lazy, lol.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:34 PM   #70
jalora
Pledge

SP has joined the long, long list of elderly acts that no longer churn out albums full of excellent material but still have a handful of good tracks per release. There's no shame in that. All pitchers lose their fastball eventually. Billy's getting by on his breaking stuff these days, even if he does get shelled once in a while.

I'll always listen to whatever he comes up with. I owe the man that much.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:50 PM   #71
slunken
Virgo

I'm going to explain this very poorly but TFE is what happens when a trend-chasing, dollar-grabbing careerist has made enough money to make an album that sounds like the kind of music he would be making if nobody ever dangled money in his face. If TFE was a debut album from an unknown artist nobody would really like it.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:51 PM   #72
slunken
Virgo

Hell barely anyone likes it now

Literally nobody has been turned onto SP via TFE

Old 05-24-2023, 07:52 PM   #73
LaBelle
Socialphobic

You gotta be very far into Corgan's ass to think thefutureembrace is worth anything.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:18 PM   #74
slunken
Virgo

I was trying to think of other comparable solo vanity albums today but could only come up with Weiland's "12 Bar Blues"

Old 05-24-2023, 09:51 PM   #75
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

it is now - I don't even know what the new album is. I listened to it last fall, but that was only one third of it? Where is the rest??

Old 05-24-2023, 10:31 PM   #76
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Serious question, or...?

Old 05-25-2023, 05:09 AM   #77
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I like TFE but I think it suffers from a strange running order. Swapping a few of the songs around would've improved the flow of the album.

I do feel it was a unique sound; the shoegaze guitars mixed with electronic drums. If his vocals had been a little different and there'd been a bit more variety, it would've been a very strong album.

As it is now, I usually listen to the first three songs with enthusiasm, thinking "this is actually great!" and then I get bored and turn it off.

Old 05-25-2023, 10:45 AM   #78
Ram27
dumb

i've never listened to it or anything from the era

the final frontier

Old 05-25-2023, 10:48 AM   #79
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

because it's not on streaming?

Old 05-25-2023, 10:48 AM   #80
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

kidding of course

here u go

Old 05-25-2023, 01:13 PM   #81
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Tilt is great. I'd rather that was on it than the Bee Gees song.

Old 05-25-2023, 01:27 PM   #82
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

ya

and also

12 bar blues rox

Old 05-25-2023, 02:38 PM   #83
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalora View Post
SP has joined the long, long list of elderly acts that no longer churn out albums full of excellent material but still have a handful of good tracks per release. There's no shame in that. All pitchers lose their fastball eventually. Billy's getting by on his breaking stuff these days, even if he does get shelled once in a while.

is it too much to ask him to filter his releases? At the very least, he could limit his albums to one record/CD-length rather than dump all his over-produced home demos on us and make us sort it out

Old 05-25-2023, 07:22 PM   #84
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

I never listened to 12 Bar Blues but Weiland’s Wildabouts album was fucking great. I listened to that one a lot.

RIP

Old 05-26-2023, 04:59 AM   #85
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalora View Post

Nobody ows him anything.

Old 05-27-2023, 02:27 PM   #86
T&T
Socialphobic

I know it's not fair to flush a band for content they didn't make
but that fan made MOSS video is so grossly offensive. of course I've been more than a hint ashamed for being a pumpkins fan since the reunion, but the idea that this is the current state of other fans - get me the fuck out of here. & fast.

Old 05-28-2023, 08:46 AM   #87
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

I don't think I ever listened to TFE all the way through. I don't remember what any of the tracks sound like.

Old 05-28-2023, 07:03 PM   #88
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

They sound pretty good! I think Now and Then, Sorrows, Camera Eye, a few others, top tier stuff!

Old 05-28-2023, 07:04 PM   #89
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

Sorry guys Zodeon has burned all the spite off my face. I can only compliment now.