Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2023, 10:16 AM   #1
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Default When will it be "it" for you?

I think it's safe to say that SP fans haven't really been happy with the band since they "reformed" in 2007. Sure we've had some highlights and some potential greatness with the likes of Gossamer and other unreleased tracks, the 2007 live shows looking back were great, and there were some good tracks on Zeitgeist, Teargarden, and Oceania.

But Shiny 1 wasn't well received, Cyr was more or less derided save for a few tracks (Purple Blood and Save Your Tears are the only ones everyone seems to agree on). Atum has had a worse reception in places, better in others, but we can agree that no one really wanted more synths and shouty vocals singing indecipherable lyrics.

Now most are looking forward to the 10 bonus tracks in the hope they will somewhat redeem the band, and Simmitar has somewhat tweaked people's interest. After that there's the full Shiny 3 and then the "10 track guitar rock" album that's is being worked on now.

But what if they are no good either? At what point are you going say "that's it, I've had enough" with this band? Will you always listen to what they put out, no matter what it is, just in the hopes that it'll be, if not a return to past glory, something resembling it?

Old 05-04-2023, 10:22 AM   #2
lionheart0
Demi-God

I’ll always listen. I think we are past the low point where it was just Bill and several people that I had no idea who they were. There was good material and moments with Mike and Nicole. Album wise I’ve always found something interesting and same goes for their live shows even at the low moments. I can’t quit this group and the current line up and ATUM have reinvigorated my interest. I like this project.

Old 05-04-2023, 10:25 AM   #3
djzap
Pledge

I'm stuck with this band forever now I think. I've liked something from every album. It takes nothing away from me to check out each new release, and I can only potentially gain from finding new songs to enjoy.
I even still check out new Muse albums even though they haven't put out anything good since the mid 00s, juuuust in case. Hasn't paid off yet... But I can't help my curiosity.

Last edited by djzap : 05-04-2023 at 01:00 PM.

Old 05-04-2023, 10:28 AM   #4
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

I'll always follow the band. There are moments where a track will remind me of the feeling hearing the classic band more than loving the tracks themselves, but there are a few gems here and there. Oceania and ATUM completely missed for me. I like Cyr way more than most people here, which was unexpected as I hated the singles initially... the low vox fan remix helped.

But the main event is the Machina and Zwan reissues. That's what I'm waiting for. That and archive releases that aren't on vinyl.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:08 AM   #5
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

if the 10 tracks suck and he calls off Machina reissue or some other such Machina-related massacre

that, my friends

will be IT

Old 05-04-2023, 11:08 AM   #6
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

already haven't listened to CYR or ATUM but i'm morbidly curious about the "hidden 10"

Old 05-04-2023, 11:26 AM   #7
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

As with Joseph, I will be done when the Machina reissue is done. When it is released it will all be over. I will never have to listen to another album ever again. I will have everything I’ve ever wanted. I will be happy. I have been waiting nine years to be happy.

Old 05-04-2023, 12:44 PM   #8
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm interested to hear Machina and that's all

Old 05-04-2023, 12:54 PM   #9
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Due to them being my favourite band in the 90s when I was in my late teens and early 20s I'll always be interested to some degree but it will take a big change for me to become a fan of them as they are now.

Old 05-04-2023, 12:56 PM   #10
Ram27
dumb

never. the early stuff was too meaningful and important, this forum is too meaningful and important. i cannot simply abandon such treasured pastures

Old 05-04-2023, 01:30 PM   #11
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I don't like the music anymore but I won't stop posting or reading throughout the fan community

Old 05-04-2023, 01:32 PM   #12
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Can I quit the band and not the fandom?

Old 05-04-2023, 03:43 PM   #13
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

If I’m not out here dickriding James Iha, then who will?!?!?!

Old 05-04-2023, 03:47 PM   #14
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Seems the subreddit has officially settled in as the new sad machines… curated for billy himself as their love for ATUM is tangible… netphoria is a fan graveyard

I will always love James only

Old 05-04-2023, 04:46 PM   #15
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

As soon as Jimmy and James quit again

Old 05-04-2023, 04:47 PM   #16
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourruseoffools View Post
If I’m not out here dickriding James Iha, then who will?!?!?!
People are lined up!

Old 05-04-2023, 04:49 PM   #17
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I don't really keep up with the new music anymore. Haven't listened to a full album since Oceania. It just seems a bit mental to eagerly anticipate every new track despite knowing I'll hate it just to complain about it.

I can understand it just out of curiosity, like, "I've followed this band long enough that I wonder what they're up to. But some folks seem legitimately upset that a new track sucks even though they knew it would suck. It's like returning to the same restaurant just to leave the same 2-star review every time when there are plenty of other restaurants on the street.

Old 05-04-2023, 04:51 PM   #18
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I'll still see them live when they come 'round my neck of the woods, though. They play plenty of the good material live, and despite Corgan's current singing style, the band overall still seems to be a good live act.

If the only reason they release new shitty music is to justify tours without looking like a heritage act, then I guess that's worth it.

Old 05-04-2023, 06:34 PM   #19
phang
Ownz

I'll always follow the band and Corgan in general, as much as the man irritates me nowadays, he and the bands work have been a huge part of my life and I still enjoy listening to the stuff I like. I'm long past the point where I get EXCITED for new releases, I'm usually just hopeful that they're not shit. If they are, then they are, and I get to moan and make snarky comments. If they're surprisingly good, or fucking shit hot awesome, then I get to be pleasantly surprised (and make snarky comments). Also there are a shit ton of live shows I'm still to check out. If they were ever live near me, I'd probably still go and see them again.

tldr; i'm too far in, man.

Last edited by phang : 05-04-2023 at 07:01 PM.

Old 05-04-2023, 07:18 PM   #20
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Whatever album came out with Silvery. That long intro in the video. And the other video with BC wearing a ring around his neck and Chloe/Augustus were in it? That era, I stopped attending concerts and listening to their music. I've heard Empires and Beguiled from new album due to radio play.

I listened to Atum release party and BC said same damn line. "People are saying it's some of our best work..." ���� And the audience applauding incorporating the NWA?

I just can't anymore

Old 05-04-2023, 07:57 PM   #21
Slygmous
Ikari Rake Warrior

I gave up on anything new after I heard what they did to Song for a Son. Even Jimmy and James coming back after that isn't enough, I don't care anymore. I haven't heard anything since then.

I keep coming back here just waiting for more old stuff. The Machina and Zwan boxsets are all I'm looking forward to these days, unless we have any more leaks...

Old 05-04-2023, 09:17 PM   #22
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
and Simmitar has somewhat tweaked people's interest.
Still makes no fucking sense… the song is obviously worse than even the likes of widow wake my mind

“We hunger understand we understand” ????? Like fucking seriously?

Old 05-04-2023, 09:18 PM   #23
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

It was Cyr for me when I bailed

Old 05-04-2023, 10:34 PM   #24
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

most likely never. I've been invested for over two decades. I'm not really losing anything by checking out the new music out of curiosity, and they are still great live.

I like dishing on Billy's clown show as much as the next green blood reptoid Netphorian shadow person, but I'm also in my 30s and I can no longer relate to people who are honestly angry with/at him for not putting out good music anymore

Old 05-05-2023, 12:23 AM   #25
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
never. the early stuff was too meaningful and important, this forum is too meaningful and important. i cannot simply abandon such treasured pastures
I've said it before, but I have a strange relationship with the band. I have been following them for the majority of my life. I used to mock play as Zero when I was like 7-8 years old. Asking my dad to "video tape" the band on SNL or 120 minutes. Cutting out magazine clippings. All this stuff was so formative in my early life. I cut my teeth on the early internet with this place. Hell, we are like 20 years removed from the first wave of Netphorian's really dropping off. Anyone remember the Zwan backlash drop out lol?

I check this forum a few times a day nearly my entire life. When my grandfather got sick in 1998 I first started to search out a way to cope with his eventual passing. I went down the early SP internet rabbit-hole which surprisingly there were a lot of great fan pages. I think thats why the band even has the legacy that it does to this very day. I mean every major negative life event I would come here to follow up on the band and clear my head. I lurked for years doing this.

I will probably be here till Corgan passes, the forum becomes defunct or I die prematurely. With that said I have sort of grown to despise Billy. I hate with a virulent passion many of his choices and his overall lifestyle since 2009. They were just building momentum after Zeitgeist (which I actually loved) crashed and burned. Jimmy ridding around in a white van stuff, Mike Byrne, announcement after announcement and all the other bad theater stuff during those years. That was the initial crack in the facade for me. Teargarden had no hype, but was bubbling up something only to once again be tossed under the bus for a under-cooked album. The weird Kerry Brown hippy cult stuff that followed. That was a really dark time that was followed up with the revolving door era into the greatest hits band.

I still hear potential in the stuff Billy makes, but its utterly wasted on his weakest strengths as an artist. He is not a keyboardist and his electronic music sensibilities are horrible. He got lucky for many years to buddy up with great producers.

I'd say the inner fan in me is actually dead. The co-dependent real world person that I am still lingers for a taste of that sublime Pumpkins hydration. We still get little sips of it in the form of those leaks and archive stuff. As long as I live I will yearn for the closure of hearing all the unreleased, yet often touted stuff in the vaults. Machina, Metro show, pre-Gish stuff. That's the only hope I have left that there will ever be the spirit of the Smashing Pumpkins re-awoken in me.

Old 05-05-2023, 01:01 AM   #26
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

The ship sank a long time ago
....and we’re all wandering around the bottom of the ocean

Old 05-05-2023, 05:14 AM   #27
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

For me it doesn't hinge on archive releases, Metro / Machina etc. They'll always be there. They'll come out at some stage I guess, but that won't necessarily impact on my interest in the group.

Gish / SD will forever be associated with the halcyon days of 1992 / 1993, a great time for music and culture. MCIS is more grown up and Adore is the hangover. It began to end WITH Machina for me.

As for now. I was actually genuinely happy that Act 3 came out today, as now my own personal Atum playlist is complete (16 tracks, 90% the guitar tracks). I really want to hear the 10 songs and Shiny 3, and will be very interested in the "rock" album, as long as it has some kind of nods to the past. I'll even just be happy with good songs.

On the flipside, if Corgan is able to revert to his "old" voice and does so, then I am totally back in. But I don't think he will. He's not a 26 year old with floppy hair anymore. So why should I expect him to.

Saying all that. I too visit this forum every day, and in fact I usually just leave it open in a tab on my browser. I am as big / bigger a fan of other bands (Beatles, Floyd, Kind Crimson) but I'm not part of any other fan communities. Netphoria is unique. It's like we're all survivors of something, with PTSD, supporting each other.

Old 05-05-2023, 06:11 AM   #28
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

I'll always be around to check out what's going on, setting expectations low and then I can be pleasantly surprised if something good turns up. Golden run is obv god tier and I think there's been quite a lot from Zeitgeist onwards I've enjoyed, even Shiny part one had a few good songs. This Cyr to Atum run I've found completely insufferable, the nosedive in quality has been alarming and the entire synth thing has seemed neverending. But I'm in too deep now to not be curious what's next.

Old 05-05-2023, 12:16 PM   #29
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan

Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.

if billy went on a kanye-level rant id pull the plug, but id still listen to the old stuff. i never have expectations that their new music is going to redeem anything, i think it'll continue to be mediocre with a gem popping up every 3 to 5 years, the lyrics will get more and more unintelligible and lame, and the live act will eventually be too boring to watch.

that all said, when billys in his 70s and he truly has no voice left and his ears are shot, maybe he'll put something personal down on paper and record a nice album with pretty songs that isn't an overproduced, overhought mess.

Old 05-05-2023, 01:22 PM   #30
Ram27
dumb

who is the live act for?

like who is still so hype to see today and BWBW in this day and age that isn't also crazy enough to want cherry and hummer