Yes, I am all about quailty! 55 51.89%
No, DVD format is fine for me 49 46.23%
No I don't want any SP video (throw my vote away) 2 1.89%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Default The Smashing Pumpkins in HD

So i wanted to put out a HD version of the July 15th (not all the shows will come out in HD, it depends on how well this 1st show is embraced)

So the format of HD that I can produce would be for Blu-Ray. Sorry I won't be able to do HD-DVD

RAW footage adds up to be 30GB so i will have to have a number of seeders if we are going do that. Otherwise I guess I would have to work out a blank(s) & postage system..

But what I want to know is are you interested

*note if HD is to be done, don't expect it out till November*

Old 10-18-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Spaldz
Apocalyptic Poster

I am interested for sure. Although trying to work out the logistics of this isn't easy I can imagine.

You could do it as you said or have a limited number of b&p's and have them set themselves up as seeders on a torrent..Obviously 30gb is quite large by some people's connections (as is mine)..Obviously some people have seedboxes etc at their disposal.

I'm interested though fo' sure

Old 10-18-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
Mouths of Babes
Ownz

It depends how well it's embraced and how much Monte is praised.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaldz
You could do it as you said or have a limited number of b&p's and have them set themselves up as seeders on a torrent..
sadly this would most likely have to be done in an odd way because i doubt many people who can or want to seed will have a blu-ray drive in their PC already.

it's just based on embrace.. you know the future embrace...

it would seem pretty pointless to organize this all if not enough people really want it. that is a lot of bandwidth to get it out there

Old 10-18-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
DougieZero
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyshambles
Yes, I am all about quailty!
Until you realize you can't play Blu-Ray...

Old 10-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
T&T
Socialphobic

i'd be happier with regular DVD because that fits my playback system..

but make sure you keep your raw footage for lossless completists

Old 10-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #7
MonteLDS
*sigh*

the end result is that I either do 1 format or the other.. I am not sure when or if i would ever release the other because it takes a lot of prep work.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #8
DisarmDoomsday
Oblivious Virgin

Whatever works for you man.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #9
MonteLDS
*sigh*

DVD always works but if their is enough demand for HD than I will give up the HD

Old 10-18-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
Brute Squad
oh for fuck's sake

I say make each show 2xDVD-5 and make sure you use all 4.37GB on each disc.

Blu-Ray isn't popular or cheap enough for a release. Just checked bestbuy.com and Blu-Ray burners are $549, discs are $10. Also, who here actually has an HDTV?

Old 10-18-2007, 06:58 PM   #11
T&T
Socialphobic

i run a 1080p 32" screen
for computer and tv

from across the room when watching tv, it would make no difference to me

Old 10-18-2007, 06:59 PM   #12
Netphorian Gadabout
The Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Fogelsong
I say make each show 2xDVD-5 and make sure you use all 4.37GB on each disc.

Blu-Ray isn't popular or cheap enough for a release. Just checked bestbuy.com and Blu-Ray burners are $549, discs are $10. Also, who here actually has an HDTV?
I have a Blu-Ray player and an HDTV, but no burner. I'd be interested in a blu-ray release, but I agree with the sentiment that the community isn't technologically ready for widespread distribution of stuff HDed.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:03 PM   #13
IWishIWasBlank
Apocalyptic Poster

HDTV, but no HD DVD.

Soon for both, hopefully burner as well.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:58 AM   #14
jm9843
Ownz

I voted for blu-ray. Although HD DVD or 1 large file that hasn't been authored to a format would suffice too.

What would you author the blu-ray in? MPEG-2? h264? VC1?

Whatever the case, it'd be great if it were posted on usenet. Then anyone who wanted it could sign up for one month of giganews. No seeders or b&p and it could easily be played back on a PC. I'd hazard a guess that most people on netphoria have one of those.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:38 AM   #15
JRiordan
Apocalyptic Poster

I realize it is extra effort to put out the Blu-Ray version, but isn't it pretty easy to do the standard DVD? My thought is that you could do both whenever you have time

But I agree with Andrew -- if going standard DVD, at least use high video bitrate and PCM audio and use 2x DVD5 or 1x DVD9. (For anyone afraid of dual-layer DVDs... just about every burner released in the past few years burns them, so it's time for you to upgrade for a mere $40 )

Old 10-19-2007, 05:47 AM   #16
sniffingchimp
Ownz

DVD all the way - I dont reckon the difference in quality will be worth the extra hassle (download, need for player etc.)

Thanks for this Monte.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:57 AM   #17
Brute Squad
oh for fuck's sake

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRiordan
For anyone afraid of dual-layer DVDs... just about every burner released in the past few years burns them, so it's time for you to upgrade for a mere $40
I have a dual-layer burner. My problem is that few manufacturers actually make DL blanks - Verbatim and Ritek?!. Until Taiyo Yuden starts making DL blanks and the price drops, I'm not very interested in DL.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:51 AM   #18
DamingR
SPFUN!

I would love a BR release, but I don't have a BR burner. I would send somebody $15 for a copy, though, if they could burn it for me.

Last edited by DamingR : 10-19-2007 at 12:18 PM.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:57 AM   #19
Bobbin TB
Apocalyptic Poster

do hd. then if someone really wants just a dvd then they can re-enocode it.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #20
Bobbin TB
Apocalyptic Poster

i dont have a bluray player but ill just store it on my hard drive and watch it that way. i got almost 2 terabytes that arent anywhere near being filled anyway.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:24 AM   #21
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRiordan
I realize it is extra effort to put out the Blu-Ray version, but isn't it pretty easy to do the standard DVD? My thought is that you could do both whenever you have time

But I agree with Andrew -- if going standard DVD, at least use high video bitrate and PCM audio and use 2x DVD5 or 1x DVD9. (For anyone afraid of dual-layer DVDs... just about every burner released in the past few years burns them, so it's time for you to upgrade for a mere $40 )
its not exactly extra effort, its the same effort. Since the footage is HD base it would most likely take less rendering time to HD but i don't know.

The only reason why i did DVD in the past was for size reason & I didn't think I would give out HD versions for now because i thought maybe at some point the trading community would hold onto HD and make those trade items only. but i doubt that more and more now a days...

The hard part is to watch the video all the way threw over and over again. because I am looking for encoding errors. Such as big RED blotches that happen when i do a lossless conversion to HDV2

Old 10-19-2007, 10:26 AM   #22
Day dreaming Of Darcy
Ownz

30gb is why Video = teh gay

Old 10-19-2007, 12:23 PM   #23
DamingR
SPFUN!

If you have the concert in high definition it's a huge waste to re-encode it to standard def.

While people might not want the blu-ray right now, in 5 years, everyone will want the blu-ray and you probably won't care enough to make a new release.

You should go ahead and put out the high quality version now.

Think of it this way: if you had a DAT tape in 1996, most people would have wanted it on cassette because CD burners were expensive. Now we have a lot of DAT>ANA>CD transfers and lots of DAT masters that people lost track of or lost interest in. Wouldn't it have been better to do a DAT>CD at the time if it were possible?

You should always strive to keep the quality as high as possible. Technology will eventually come around and become affordable, and people will appreciate it then.

In all honesty, the number of people downloading these DVDs is pretty small anyway. I was pretty surprised to see less than 100 people downloading my Orange Peel DVD during the initial seed. So why would you water down the quality to please maybe 70 or 80 people? If you make this a blu ray, over the years it will be much more valuable and would probably end up being traded for/downloaded/watched a lot more than another run of the mill DVD from the 2007 tour.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:36 PM   #24
Spaldz
Apocalyptic Poster

And we could all thankyou Monte for bringing the first blu-ray concert to us. What a text file that would be (hell why not use pdf monte!)

I stupidly didn't think last night though about the fact that no-one has a blu-ray player. I lost the logistics of that b+p scenario in my stupidity..

I still think seedbox would be a nice way to go..this could be the biggest sp project in a while size-wise

Old 10-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #25
JRiordan
Apocalyptic Poster

I agree with DamingR -- might as well put out the best possible version now. It really won't be long before a lot of people have Bul-Ray players, and then they'll wish they had more HD stuff.

I can definitely seed this 24/7. So what if it takes a while to seed? It's a computer... turn it on and you don't even have to look at it for a week, and it'll be there waiting for you.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:06 PM   #26
markpregen
Apocalyptic Poster

Spider Man 3 is ONLY coming out on Blu Ray (thats the line from the ad).. I wonder if that will have any impact on people going with Blu Ray..

Old 10-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #27
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

probably not. it just means that people with HD-DVDs won't have to sit through that movie again.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:12 PM   #28
Brute Squad
oh for fuck's sake

I'm all for keeping quality high, but did Monte tape the shows with a $10k+ professional HD camera with SBD+AUD matrix audio? He didn't.

Sure, the resolution of his video is HD, but is his recording utilizing the potential HD has to offer? I doubt it. I say cut the 30GB of raw video down to two DVD-5s. I doubt you'll see a difference. Go ahead, run a comparison.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #29
jm9843
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Fogelsong
Sure, the resolution of his video is HD, but is his recording utilizing the potential HD has to offer? I doubt it. I say cut the 30GB of raw video down to two DVD-5s. I doubt you'll see a difference. Go ahead, run a comparison.
Did you download any of his individual song HD videos? I did and actually watched them on an HDTV and yes there is a huge difference.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:45 PM   #30
commando
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm mostly looking forward to the dvd of the Orem show.