o Facebook
o Fark
o Newsvine
o Reddit
o StumbleUpon
o Technorati
o Yahoo! Bookmarks
* Print

NKorea likely to fire missiles off east coast AFP/KCNA via KNS/File – File photo shows a North Korean military unit taking part in a missile-firing drill at an undisclosed …

* North Korea Slideshow:North Korea
* U.S. Ready if NKorea test fires another missile Play Video Video:U.S. Ready if NKorea test fires another missile AP
* Obama: Nuclear-armed North Korea a grave threat Play Video Videobama: Nuclear-armed North Korea a grave threat AP

By KWANG-TAE KIM, Associated Press Writer Kwang-tae Kim, Associated Press Writer – Thu Jun 25, 6:30 pm ET

SEOUL, South Korea — Punching their fists into the air and shouting "Let's crush them!" some 100,000 North Koreans packed Pyongyang's main square Thursday for an anti-U.S. rally as the communist regime promised a "fire shower of nuclear retaliation" for any American-led attack.

Several demonstrators held up a placard depicting a pair of hands smashing a missile with "U.S." written on it, according to footage taken by APTN in Pyongyang on the anniversary of the day North Korean troops charged southward, sparking the three-year Korean War in 1950.

North Korean troops will respond to any sanctions or U.S. provocations with "an annihilating blow," one senior official vowed — a pointed threat as an American destroyer shadowed a North Korean freighter sailing off China's coast, possibly with banned goods on board.

A new U.N. Security Council resolution passed recently to punish North Korea for conducting an underground nuclear test in May requires U.N. member states to request inspections of ships suspected of carrying arms or nuclear weapons-related material.

In response to the sanctions, the North pulled out of nuclear talks and has ramped up already strident anti-American rhetoric. And the isolated regime may now be moving to openly flout the resolution by dispatching a ship suspected of carrying arms to Myanmar.

While it was not clear what was on board the North Korean-flagged Kang Nam 1, officials have mentioned artillery and other conventional weaponry. One intelligence expert suspected missiles.

The U.S. and its allies have made no decision on whether to request inspection of the ship, Pentagon press secretary Geoff Morrell said Wednesday in Washington, but North Korea has said it would consider any interception an act of war.

If permission for inspection is refused, the ship must dock at a port of its choosing so local authorities can check its cargo. Vessels suspected of carrying banned goods must not be offered bunkering services at port, such as fuel, the resolution says.

A senior U.S. defense official said the ship had cleared the Taiwan Strait. He said he didn't know whether or when the Kang Nam may need to stop in some port to refuel, but that the Kang Nam has in the past stopped in Hong Kong's port.

Another U.S. defense official said he tended to doubt reports that the Kang Nam was carrying nuclear-related equipment, saying information seems to indicate the cargo is banned conventional munitions. Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity in order to talk about intelligence.

North Korea is suspected to have transported banned goods to Myanmar before on the Kang Nam, said Bertil Lintner, a Bangkok-based North Korea expert who has written a book about leader Kim Jong Il.

Pyongyang also has been helping the junta in Yangon build up its weapons arsenal, a South Korean intelligence expert said. He spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.

The two countries have not always been on good terms. Ties were severed in 1983 after a fatal bombing during the South Korean president's visit to Myanmar blamed on North Korean commandoes.

They held secret talks in Bangkok in the 1990s to discuss the lone survivor among the three North Korean commandos involved in the bombing, and since have forged close relations.

The two regimes, among Asia's most repressive, restored diplomatic ties in 2007. Not long after that, in April 2007, the Kang Nam docked at Thilawa port saying it needed shelter from bad weather.

But one expert said reports show the weather was clear then, and two local journalists working for a foreign news agency who went to write about the unusual docking were arrested.

"The Kang Nam unloaded a lot of heavy equipment in 2007," Lintner said. "Obviously, the ship was carrying something very sensitive at that time as well."

North Korea has also helped Myanmar dig tunnels in recent years, said Lintner, adding that the cash-strapped North may have received rice, rubber and minerals in return for its military and other assistance.

"North Korea appears to have exported conventional weapons to Myanmar in exchange for food," another expert said.

Pyongyang is believed to have transported digging equipment to Myanmar, which is seeking to make its new capital a fortress with vast underground facilities, he said, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss intelligence.

North Korea has been locked in a tense standoff with Washington and other regional powers over its nuclear program. In April, the regime launched a rocket widely seen as a cover for a test of long-range missile technology — a move that drew U.N. Security Council condemnation.

The North responded by abandoning six-nation disarmament talks and threatening to carry out nuclear tests and fire intercontinental ballistic missiles. The North is believed to be developing a long-range missile designed to strike the U.S. but experts say it has not figured out how to mount a bomb onto the missile.

On Thursday, Pyongyang vowed to enlarge its atomic arsenal and warned of a "fire shower of nuclear retaliation" if provoked by the U.S.

North Korea's "armed forces will deal an annihilating blow that is unpredictable and unavoidable, to any 'sanctions' or provocations by the US," Pak Pyong Jong, first vice chairman of the Pyongyang City People's Committee, told the crowd gathered for the Korean War anniversary rally.

In Seoul, some 5,000 people — mostly American and South Korean veterans and war widows — also commemorated the anniversary at a ceremony.

South Korean President Lee Myung-bak said the nation is prepared to counter any type of threat or provocation.

"The South Korean government is firmly determined to defend the lives and wealth of its people and will do its utmost to find the remains of troops killed in the Korean War," he said at the ceremony.

The two Koreas technically remain in a state of war because the conflict ended in a truce, not a peace treaty.

___

Associated Press writers Hyung-jin Kim and Jae-soon Chang in Seoul, and Pauline Jelinek in Washington, contributed to this report.
NKorea vows nuke attack if provoked by US - Yahoo! News

Old 06-25-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I'd call the bluff tbh.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

I can't decide if he's talking out his ass again, or if he's getting so sick that he knows he's going to die, and he might as well go out with a bang.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:19 PM   #4
Debaser
ghost

sounds like a desperate cry for attention

Old 06-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #5
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

If I'm ever the president of the United States, I'm gonna be a mushroom-cloud-layin' motherfucker, motherfucker.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:09 AM   #6
Starla

I thought they threatened to attack on July 4th.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:05 AM   #7
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

lets hope they do

Old 06-26-2009, 02:07 AM   #8
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...g?t=1245996415

Old 06-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
dudehitscar
Apocalyptic Poster

he is emboldened by the fact that our military is caught up in two wars and our economy is in the tank.

I hope nothing comes to pass.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #10
ATS
Apocalyptic Poster

i would enlist if we had a second korean war. i hope it happens

Old 06-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #11
dudehitscar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATS View Post
i hope it happens

Old 06-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
Trotskilicious
Banned

no i do too that way he'd be dead

Old 06-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
Trotskilicious
Banned

ats if you're such a patriot how come you're not in iraq or afghanistan right now you pathetic fuck up

too crazy right? I thought so.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
Mayfuck
Banned

http://derwaggletanz.files.wordpress...al-soldier.jpg

Old 06-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #15
redbull
Immortal

http://gizmodo.com/5302604/just-wher...s-missiles-hit

Old 06-26-2009, 09:48 PM   #16
ATS
Apocalyptic Poster

enlisting doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with patriotism. the korean war was a real adventure, iraq and afghanistan are different. there are no human wave attacks in iraq

Old 06-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #17
ATS
Apocalyptic Poster

NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED

Old 06-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #18
dudehitscar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
enlisting doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with patriotism. the korean war was a real adventure, iraq and afghanistan are different. there are no human wave attacks in iraq
again with the stupid talk. War isn't an adventure. It's the worst fucking thing in the world. What is wrong with you? It's not fun it's hell.

You need to stop playing Call of Duty and see the world for what it is.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:28 PM   #19
Toast
Apocalyptic Poster

I've wondered what would happen if NK went and attacked another country for real, even if the missiles didn't explode or whatever. Would the rest of the world just go "hey knock it off" or retaliate?

Old 06-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #20
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

Quote:
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/559...hoicespic2.jpg

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/7921/b40502.jpg

Yeah, the Korean War was a fucking blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudehitscar
You need to stop playing Call of Duty and see the world for what it is.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:32 AM   #21
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
I've wondered what would happen if NK went and attacked another country for real, even if the missiles didn't explode or whatever. Would the rest of the world just go "hey knock it off" or retaliate?
Obama won't really do anything but try to invite Kim for one of his parties with stevie wonder. Obama is spineless.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #22
ATS
Apocalyptic Poster

you can't have an omelet without breaking a few eggs. men achieve their greatest in wars, fighting for their lives and their compatriots' lives. what do people do without a war? play guitar hero and breed in peace? to me the meaning of life isnt to pay social security and have kids who will in turn pay social security. people should find an aesthetic in life and try to satisfy it to the extreme. the masculine aesthetic i grew up with was one where men have to fight human wave attacks

as for call of duty, most of the people who play that game are anti-war. the fact that the adventure of war has been digitally commoditized for all the selfish cowardly american worms back home is repulsive and i think in a just world only veterans would be allowed to play games with killing in them

Old 06-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #23
ATS
Apocalyptic Poster

paintball, too, is an insult to all veterans and peace officers

Old 06-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #24
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

Quote:
you can't have an omelet without breaking a few eggs. men achieve their greatest in wars, fighting for their lives and their compatriots' lives. what do people do without a war? play guitar hero and breed in peace? to me the meaning of life isnt to pay social security and have kids who will in turn pay social security. people should find an aesthetic in life and try to satisfy it to the extreme. the masculine aesthetic i grew up with was one where men have to fight human wave attacks
So, when are you signing up?

Quote:
paintball, too, is an insult to all veterans and peace officers
Ok nevermind, you're either the most retarded person I've ever seen here, or you're a troll. Either one is likely.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #25
Kahlo

Is ATS a 14 year old?

"Human wave attacks" what the fuck is this? the 1940's?

Old 06-28-2009, 06:52 AM   #26
Sarcastic Smile
Amish Rake Fighter

Location: I fuck in my spare time, this is what I do at work you dumb bitch.-esty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla View Post
Obama won't really do anything but try to invite Kim for one of his parties with stevie wonder. Obama is spineless.
that's a dumb bitch thing of you to say.. at least say something intelligent if you're trying to speak about something serious and expect yourself to be taken seriously.. you prove no point with bull like that

Old 06-28-2009, 06:55 AM   #27
Sarcastic Smile
Amish Rake Fighter

Location: I fuck in my spare time, this is what I do at work you dumb bitch.-esty

Quote:
men achieve their greatest in wars, fighting for their lives and their compatriots' lives. what do people do without a war? play guitar hero and breed in peace?
gee that's funny.. we do that now and there have been plenty of wars..

Old 06-28-2009, 06:57 AM   #28
Sarcastic Smile
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokeyLoki View Post
So, when are you signing up?
I'm not sure if he ever went to college but if you apply for financial aid and are male you're automatically signed up (for a draft obv.)

Old 06-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #29
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic Smile View Post
I'm not sure if he ever went to college but if you apply for financial aid and are male you're automatically signed up (for a draft obv.)
Not the same thing as being in the military... I was asking when he was signing up for the military specifically.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #30
Ever
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
Is ATS a 14 year old?

"Human wave attacks" what the fuck is this? the 1940's?
lol