Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 08-24-2007, 01:19 PM   #151
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR
i don't really have any issues with the quote. there's only really 2 nin songs i really cared about, and i don't think i've ever been more depressed than i was during that time. ToEachesOwn, as i like to say
Harves?

Old 08-24-2007, 01:19 PM   #152
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday
Skip your married though!
ah yes, but my husband and i have already had the discussion about how I was allowed to get busy with billy. in return, he gets a roll in the hay with the 1996/97 era angelina jolie. Fair enough.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #153
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR
whores
NOW JUST YOU WAIT A SECOND!! No one is getting paid here. I think the term you're looking for is "Sluts".

Old 08-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #154
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgo
ah yes, but my husband and i have already had the discussion about how I was allowed to get busy with billy. in return, he gets a roll in the hay with the 1996/97 era angelina jolie. Fair enough.

She's hot

Old 08-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #155
million_watts
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
T BRING THE LIGHT
lyrics are as mediocre as the album, they are, but you still don't wanna go down that road, since trent's lyrics are so unbelievalby repetitive and retarded that it's not even funny anymore. i really don't see how anyone could argue about that

Old 08-24-2007, 01:26 PM   #156
osamy
Pledge

Bah. Lyrics. Unless you're Townes Van Zandt, I don't give a shit.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:27 PM   #157
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by million_watts
lyrics are as mediocre as the album, they are, but you still don't wanna go down that road, since trent's lyrics are so unbelievalby repetitive and retarded that it's not even funny anymore. i really don't see how anyone could argue about that

You are the one who brought up lyrics. At least trents concept album is about something and has a storyline. Has anyone figurted out what the fuck Billy was thinking with this whole patriotic song titles crap?

Old 08-24-2007, 01:29 PM   #158
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

I love Bring the Light.... it's a beautiful song... upbeat and fast paced. The repeatition works in favor of the song

Old 08-24-2007, 01:31 PM   #159
redbull
Immortal

Lightbulb

Reznor's lyrics are generally decent with bursts of total shit. Billys have been mostly shit since Machina, but the stuff beforehand is great.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:31 PM   #160
trev
charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by million_watts
point remains, they have one more tour in those seven years than the pumpkins.
in the 2 years directly before the SP's first return show (2007-05-22) NIN played 220 shows. that's just from 2005-05-22 through to 2007-05-21.

i can't be fucked looking up all the dates for the 4 and a half years before that, but i'm willing to bet there's at least 500 shows they played compared to 0.
that is going to affect the demand for tickets.
it does not take more than half a brain to work this out.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:31 PM   #161
Eulogy
huh

Trent's lyrics are embarrassing if taken seriously. He is awesome, though. but I like to compare Zeitgeist to With Teeth, and no one has a clear edge there.

What I'm getting at is that they're both past their primes and trying to give themselves new life, and Trent started that process before Billy did. so he's a bit ahead as of right now. but he's in no place to talk shit after releasing the pile of mediocrity sprinkled with a few excellent tunes that was With Teeth. y'knowwhati'msayin

Old 08-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #162
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

Ive never listened to a TR album, or purchased one... I remember a video that was kind of gothy romancy that was interesting and his music has layers to it which makes it interesting but the man seems like he has so much aggressive energy or anger management issues and so
the violence really turns me off

Old 08-24-2007, 01:34 PM   #163
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

sluts

Old 08-24-2007, 01:34 PM   #164
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev
i can't be fucked looking up all the dates for the 4 and a half years before that, but i'm willing to bet there's at least 500 shows they played compared to 0.
actually it's Zero. They played no shows between 2000/07/09 and 2005/03/23.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #165
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgo
your husband has boring taste.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:39 PM   #166
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

I think Angelina Jolie is a beautiful woman, she's still rebellious but she's got balls ya know?

Old 08-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #167
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

you're boring.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:43 PM   #168
trev
charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull
actually it's Zero. They played no shows between 2000/07/09 and 2005/03/23.
haha what do you know. thanks. well then the total is nearly 250 then.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:47 PM   #169
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess
your husband has boring taste.
it is indeed fairly typical for a guy to have been attracted to her at that time. Not much more I can say to that.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:48 PM   #170
osamy
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
You are the one who brought up lyrics. At least trents concept album is about something and has a storyline. Has anyone figurted out what the fuck Billy was thinking with this whole patriotic song titles crap?
It's tied in with Baudrillardian observations of sign systems in a world where capital exchange has replaced symbolic exchange, and signs are their own referrents. This type of world is nurtured in our civilization of "videoscopy" (to take Paul Virilio's word for it), saturated in information and media, life and "reality" being in the hyperreal instead of the concrete and physical. Things do not have a historical context here (there is no "here," only "now"), and "identity" or "personhood" is fractured, as we are cybernetically linked with the technocracy around us (the torch of the Statue of Liberty replaced by Paris Hilton's cell phone). Actually, the thematics aren't too different from Scorsese's "The Departed" or Greengrass' "United 93" (Michael Mann's films and "Children of Men" also). In this sense, any sense of "concept" (I would replace that word with "resonance") is actually more effective than the "futuristic" warnings of "Year Zero", precisely because it is not so overt. True cyber-punk has to fool us into believing that we are safe in the present, when in fact we are living in the cyborg-drenched horrorscape that was thought to be strictly relegated to science fiction. There is no need to dread for the future, because we're there already.

In terms of patriotic song titles, Corgan is a pretty good ironist - not in our current smarmy sense, but in the tradition of Thomas Mann, which has been dead since WWII. I applaud his approach of not thunking people on the head with pedagogy. There's an ambiguity to "Zeitgeist", with a critique that transcends sociopolitical whining (of which I believe Reznor has often been a victim).

Before you go after me, I'll relinquish any credibility by quoting Corgan: "we all know I'm full of shit." And I eat poop. But looking at Jeff Schroeder's stack of books, I'm pretty sure that these theoretical approaches (Baudrillard, Virilio, cyborg theory) are floating with the Pumpkins on this tour thingy.

I'll further tarnish my credibility by stating that "Zeitgeist" rocks with strychnine andro-metal and it seems vacant of the posturing I see everywhere else in music, particularly in critical darlings.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #171
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

what are you into pale princess?

Old 08-24-2007, 01:51 PM   #172
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah I dont think Z. is posturing either. It's a good album

Old 08-24-2007, 01:52 PM   #173
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

There is an ambiguity too...but it works artistically and leaves room for interpretation from all

Old 08-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #174
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Thumbs up

http://i.ivillage.com/DF/120505/cele...eRossi_366.jpg

hubba hubba.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:55 PM   #175
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

who is that?

Old 08-24-2007, 01:55 PM   #176
trev
charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday
but she's got balls ya know?
yes, too much so. she looks like a man.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:56 PM   #177
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

She doesnt look like a man at all!
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...00px-Jolie.jpg

Old 08-24-2007, 01:57 PM   #178
jjbjjbjjb
Demi-God

I'm glad Trent can tell us, from the pages of NME.com, what's "corporate"

Old 08-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #179
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev
yes, too much so. she looks like a man.
she has very strong features, which i suppose could be seen as manly. Women are expected to be soft. But whatever, it's not me who thinks she's hot. My idea of a hot woman is Kim Deal, so what do i know?

Old 08-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #180
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by osamy
It's tied in with Baudrillardian observations of sign systems in a world where capital exchange has replaced symbolic exchange, and signs are their own referrents. This type of world is nurtured in our civilization of "videoscopy" (to take Paul Virilio's word for it), saturated in information and media, life and "reality" being in the hyperreal instead of the concrete and physical. Things do not have a historical context here (there is no "here," only "now"), and "identity" or "personhood" is fractured, as we are cybernetically linked with the technocracy around us (the torch of the Statue of Liberty replaced by Paris Hilton's cell phone). Actually, the thematics aren't too different from Scorsese's "The Departed" or Greengrass' "United 93" (Michael Mann's films and "Children of Men" also). In this sense, any sense of "concept" (I would replace that word with "resonance") is actually more effective than the "futuristic" warnings of "Year Zero", precisely because it is not so overt. True cyber-punk has to fool us into believing that we are safe in the present, when in fact we are living in the cyborg-drenched horrorscape that was thought to be strictly relegated to science fiction. There is no need to dread for the future, because we're there already.

In terms of patriotic song titles, Corgan is a pretty good ironist - not in our current smarmy sense, but in the tradition of Thomas Mann, which has been dead since WWII. I applaud his approach of not thunking people on the head with pedagogy. There's an ambiguity to "Zeitgeist", with a critique that transcends sociopolitical whining (of which I believe Reznor has often been a victim).

Before you go after me, I'll relinquish any credibility by quoting Corgan: "we all know I'm full of shit." And I eat poop. But looking at Jeff Schroeder's stack of books, I'm pretty sure that these theoretical approaches (Baudrillard, Virilio, cyborg theory) are floating with the Pumpkins on this tour thingy.

I'll further tarnish my credibility by stating that "Zeitgeist" rocks with strychnine andro-metal and it seems vacant of the posturing I see everywhere else in music, particularly in critical darlings.

In other words it bunch of Bullshit.