-Pumpkins
-NIN
-The Cardigans
-Cocteau Twins

As filtered through modern pop production

Old 10-20-2021, 04:14 PM   #2
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Thumbs up

I'm not 100% sold, but I'm not repulsed. May give the rest of the record a shot. Thanks for posting

Old 10-21-2021, 02:31 PM   #3
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post
you had me up to here

& no i'm not "anti-pop" or whatever by any means (well, most means) but w/ those influences you listed i feel like i'd want something a bit rawer or whatev

i'll give it a go tho

Old 10-21-2021, 03:27 PM   #4
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Gotta say I'm definitely getting a lot more pop than any of the artists you mentioned, though I agree the singer sounds a bit like the vocalist from the Cardigans

Like right now I'm listening to "Hysterical Us" which is either sampling or slightly modifying a lick from a Doobie Brothers song, and I don't think Corgan, Reznor nor Fraser would be up for that

Can you talk about what elements of what song(s) gave you a NIN vibe, for instance? Not an attack, I wanna hear this from your perspective

Old 10-21-2021, 05:33 PM   #5
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Lightbulb

Finished the album and I'm enjoying it. Here are vibes I thought I caught as I listened, generally song-by-song:

Kylie Minogue (The Beginning)
Madonna (Mercurial World, and not just the title)
Doobie Brothers (Hysterical Us)
Curve, Grimes (Domino)
Mariah Carey or some other R&B singer of her era (Prophecy)
Stuff I’m hearing in general: Y2K Pop, Charli XCX, chill wave/vaporwave

The depth of my musical knowledge is, if represented by a puddle, probably not quite enough for a baby to drown in, so it's very possible I'm missing much more accurate vibes here, but based on stuff I've heard, that's what I'm hearing

Old 10-22-2021, 10:06 PM   #6
House of Bread
FKA Siamese33

I listened to the album a few times, can't do it. I definitely hear the appeal and there was a clear reason why I gave it so many listens, but it ain't for me.

Old 10-26-2021, 11:43 AM   #7
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Smile

I'm actually enjoying the hell out of this record, so thanks to Dogfighter28 for starting this thread. In the continued absence of their defense of their musical references, however, I'm beginning to suspect we have a Boss Baby situation here

I'd love to hear otherwise tho

Old 10-26-2021, 12:08 PM   #8
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

The harmonic structures they use have an ethereal and aggressive component to them that is unusual in pop and more akin to some of the artists I listed. It’s not so much the songs at face value as the undercurrents. Same way that a lot of late 90s pop and trip hop was influenced by that stuff.

Old 10-26-2021, 12:10 PM   #9
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Most obvious examples to me were the oddly dark chord progressions in the verse of Chaeri and also the prechorus of this song (bop)

Old 10-26-2021, 12:15 PM   #10
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Listening to it just now, "You Lose" to me sounds like if girly-vocals early 90s Corgan sang on top of a MGMT track. Not really in the chorus, but the rest of it.

Either way I'm pretty stoked on this band and their earlier EP is great. Much less of the sound from "Mercurial World", more poppy and modern, but god damn are they some catchy and interesting songs. I think that's why I like them so much - full of hooks, but written by someone who wants to structure the songs in a more interesting way. They used to be in some sort of prog outfit before this so that makes sense and really hits the intersection of my musical interests in the G spot.

Old 10-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #11
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Ok I'm done sorry i just got excited there

I have a real bridge and/or new unexpected C section to finish out a pop song fetish and they do it a lot in a way that makes me randy. See 2:04 of this song for prime french tickling - and the outros of Chaeri and Killshot which break away from the main structures of those songs in bombastic ways that also remind me of shit you would hear from a rock band in the 90s

Last edited by Dogfighter28 : 10-26-2021 at 12:26 PM.

Old 10-26-2021, 01:42 PM   #12
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Thumbs up

Thank u for explaining

I'll listen again with all this in mind, but I have zero musical education and this is probably why I'm not getting these vibes; I just don't recognize 'em

Old 11-01-2021, 01:30 PM   #13
Baffler_Meal
Mothmonsterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post
Their debut album gives me vibes from these artists:
-Pumpkins
-NIN
-The Cardigans
-Cocteau Twins

I wanted to say thank you for sharing. I bought what they had available on Bandcamp.

I pick up hints of those bands and some Postal Service and Depreciation Guild, too. They picked up all sorts of pop sounds from the 70s forward.