Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2022, 05:42 AM   #61
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Besides, we must admit good ole Brian spared us the mansonian equivalent of a Knights of Malta, Anaise! or [insert any CYR song] and that's not nothing.

Thank you Brian, shine on you crazy diamond

Old 08-10-2022, 11:49 AM   #62
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Anaise is a bangr bro

a proper, post-Zeit BANG BANG

Old 08-10-2022, 11:50 AM   #63
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
C'mon mang face the truth. You like NLMDA because it's very much OG SP in execution, Billy's guitar phrasings, Jimmy's doing his thing i get it, it's a question of lust, so to speak. But in terms of paying homage to a great song, it ain't shit.
is that why Dave Gahan himself said "we should have done it like that" ?

huh?

huh???

HUH YOU FUCKING DIPSHIT?????

sorry i uh

heh my uh dog bit my toe there

how's it going everyone?

Old 08-10-2022, 03:21 PM   #64
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
how's it going everyone?
Every day is a struggle, young man.

Old 08-10-2022, 05:18 PM   #65
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
is that why Dave Gahan himself said "we should have done it like that" ?
idk where you're getting that quote from, pal, but you may wish to know Dave has talked a lot of nonsense during is long and successful career. Heroin will do that to ya.

Now, what's your excuse for asserting Anaise is proprr bangrr? Hearing deficiency, tinnitus, Sad Machines affiliation?

Old 08-10-2022, 05:27 PM   #66
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Dunno, just think it's a solid SP2 song & one of the better moments of synth incorporation in anything post-Adore, really

also, I knew you were gonna play the Heroin card. it's certainly a tempting card to not play in a 90s DM conversation much less DM and SP in the mix - I won't even fault you though you ARE a silly man, mighty silly indeed!

Old 08-10-2022, 07:21 PM   #67
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

For 90s Dave heroin plays the same role as Bok Choy did for 2000s Billy, a key element to be able to appreciate his poetic and you can’t ignore it just for the sake of appearances.

Old 08-16-2022, 02:27 PM   #68
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
the last time I saw The Brian Warner Band I was too fixated on the spectacle & divine transmissions of a certain bald nun to even care that much about the music

ultimate sign of a GOOD concert
I did think it was pretty weird to have an SP/Warner Bros. double bill during a period of Corgan's career where he wasn't writing remotely dark or heavy music. Might have made sense in 2000 or something. But it like, here's a guy who LARPs as Satan's spawn, and here's a guy who performed with a Mormon choir on Letterman.

Also, I still find it funny how neither millionaire could be arsed to hire an actual graphic designer for their tour. Does B. Warner have his own personal Monte that he outsourced this to?

Old 08-16-2022, 03:13 PM   #69
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

That looks like a flyer for The Smashing Marilyn Pumpkins Manson band, who do covers of both artists' work, and have to explain that to confused bar patrons every single time

Old 08-16-2022, 04:03 PM   #70
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

another sign of a GOOD tour: Linda Strawberry could not stop dancing

Old 08-16-2022, 04:15 PM   #71
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

real talk tho, that one was fun - and I was at the encore-less New Orleans show

Old 08-16-2022, 06:09 PM   #72
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Was a good show tho.

Old 08-16-2022, 08:06 PM   #73
Disco King
Minion of Satan

The reviews I saw in the music press were praising Corgan's set and shitting on Warner's performance. A testament to the fact that every artist reaches an age where drugs make their music worse and it's not doing drugs that makes them better.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:45 PM   #74
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Wasn't aware that Depp was part of this group of friends

Old 08-16-2022, 11:59 PM   #75
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
Wasn't aware that Depp was part of this group of friends
Quote:
Life in the mansion, or ‘The House’ as it becomes commonly known, is fairly simple and calm…I spend most mornings writing, usually getting up at least an hour before my girlfriend, picking at the typewriter or strumming softly in bed with an old 1950’s acoustic…if I get a decent idea, I just grab my hand-held tape player, hit record, and let it roll…because we are up high in the Hollywood hills, a cool breeze usually rides in with the smell of pine…it is all very quiet, a perfect setting to work and create in…the rooms are decorated in L.A.-Spanish style, which is a faux mix of simulcura old-world ‘espanol’ blended with the need to show off that whoever owns the joint has lots of money…so we sleep on a rustic bed, in a rough hewn room that sits on the second floor overlooking a lower terrace and pool (D’arcy is up in the tower, Bjorn next door, Gooch on the first floor)…we quickly fall into a rhythm of me writing in the morning, and then perhaps my girlfriend getting up and going for a swim to exercise (with me watching and talking to her by the pool)…I’m usually at the studio by 11 or 12, work a full day until say 11 or 12 p.m., and then we hang out at night by or in the jacuzzi, with all of Los Angeles’ twinkling lights spread out in front of us like so many jewels (a beautiful, vibrating sight)…often, we will pop some downers to unwind, some messy pill that we were turned onto by the Manson boys, what everyone commonly calls ‘blue pills’…or, on special nights, take some mushrooms and tread water in the pool until the sun is about to come back up…this is, generally speaking, fairly fun and not that harmful on first look…we are where we are supposed to be, doing what we are supposed to be doing…because if you are in one of the biggest rock bands in the world, you hang out by the pool, take drugs, and shoot the shit with other rock stars in the Sodom and Gomorrah of America…often, other luminaries drop by: Johnny Depp, Anthony Kiedis, Dave Navarro, Kate Moss, Helena Christensen, to name a few, all to take in the sights…it is a typical situation one could find on any night of the week in these hills…so it does not feel special, nor do I feel special doing it…the most notable omission to the party is that James almost never comes by…(by never, I mean he comes to the house just once or twice in the 6 months that we are here)…

Old 08-17-2022, 07:32 PM   #76
slunken
Virgo

lol james

Old 08-17-2022, 07:55 PM   #77
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

nothing is greater than james being unamused by such decadence

Old 08-17-2022, 11:09 PM   #78
slunken
Virgo

james knew the vibe was off

Old 08-18-2022, 03:54 AM   #79
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i like how he keeps saying "we did this" "we did that", but with Jim also being out of the band, it's just him and maybe d'arcy losing their mind doing drugs

i wonder what the blue pills were?

Old 08-18-2022, 10:06 AM   #80
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
real talk tho, that one was fun - and I was at the encore-less New Orleans show
Really? I actually consider that tour the worst Smashing Pumpkins show I have attended. Having Jimmy back was cool, but the band felt so dead. The Mike Byrne show I saw in 2013 was more exciting. It was funny to see Billy clear the house after "1979" by playing "Run2Me".

Old 08-18-2022, 12:43 PM   #81
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

Said this on another thread recently but the Mercenary Pumpkins lineup from 2014 has to have been the most desperate era for the band across its whole lifespan. Sure, was cool swing Wilkie on stage with Bill, and Jeff was still there at least, but nothing has felt as hollow as that era. At least in the Oceania lineup everyone felt like they had some semblance of an identity - Jeff had the cool noodly solo here and there (his modal mixture soloing on Quasar is honestly probably the best part of that song), Nicole’s bass playing was really technical and busy in a way Pumpkins bass work never had been beforehand, and young Michael got his time to shine in Black Diamond, possibly the greatest thing a member of the Pumpkins alumni had ever done before the release of the LEGO Movie’s Everything is Awesome.

Elsewhere, Ginger had a knack for really cool improv bass work as displayed in the DVD performance of Gossamer, and the aforementioned LEGO Lisa’s organ playing brought a dynamic to the band not seen since King Gar and Bongobeater Aron & Company during the Adore era.

The 2014 lineup showed no such flair. By the numbers bass and drum parts, The Everlasting Gaze played in standard, absent stage presence, United States played in standard, all working to just make that whole era comparatively naff. They didn’t even play Walking Shade.

Old 08-18-2022, 01:06 PM   #82
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSultanOfCyr View Post
Said this on another thread recently but the Mercenary Pumpkins lineup from 2014 has to have been the most desperate era for the band across its whole lifespan. Sure, was cool swing Wilkie on stage with Bill, and Jeff was still there at least, but nothing has felt as hollow as that era. At least in the Oceania lineup everyone felt like they had some semblance of an identity - Jeff had the cool noodly solo here and there (his modal mixture soloing on Quasar is honestly probably the best part of that song), Nicole’s bass playing was really technical and busy in a way Pumpkins bass work never had been beforehand, and young Michael got his time to shine in Black Diamond, possibly the greatest thing a member of the Pumpkins alumni had ever done before the release of the LEGO Movie’s Everything is Awesome.

Elsewhere, Ginger had a knack for really cool improv bass work as displayed in the DVD performance of Gossamer, and the aforementioned LEGO Lisa’s organ playing brought a dynamic to the band not seen since King Gar and Bongobeater Aron & Company during the Adore era.

The 2014 lineup showed no such flair. By the numbers bass and drum parts, The Everlasting Gaze played in standard, absent stage presence, United States played in standard, all working to just make that whole era comparatively naff. They didn’t even play Walking Shade.
I always overlook that Wilk/Stoermer lineup. That was definitely rock bottom. Byrne, for all his difficulties with the band, at least made some amount of sense. He wore his Jimmy influence on his sleeve. Wilk, in particular, was such a poor choice and was so clearly Billy trying to milk any kind of press he could. I could even have understood Wilk if it was something like the Adore tour were the band played new songs and heavily reworked old songs, but like you said, it was just completely emotionless rush throughs of old material. Hearing a drummer like Wilk try to drum to something like "Silverfuck" or "United States"...it was such a poor fit (and I like Wilk as a drummer generally).

Old 08-18-2022, 01:10 PM   #83
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

look guys i'll shoot ya straight

it was my first SP concert and I was mostly just stoked to have that time be featuring Jimmy

also met a couple of fellow fans pre-show who conspired to sneak to the front w/ me - lo & behold, we pulled it off

Old 08-18-2022, 01:15 PM   #84
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

i'm 15 y.o.

Old 08-18-2022, 01:21 PM   #85
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i like how he keeps saying "we did this" "we did that", but with Jim also being out of the band, it's just him and maybe d'arcy losing their mind doing drugs

i wonder what the blue pills were?
either 30 mg oxycodone or 1mg xanax

probably xanax, 30mg oxy is a lot for someone without tolerance and would probably make you nauseated. also i'd associate 'messy' with benzos more than opioids. if he was describing opioids it would probably be more about the euphoria.

30 mg oxys were always called 'blues' while 1mg xanax were always called footballs (because of the shape) - in the 2000/2010s. not sure about the 90s. both are little blue pills. very very likely it was one of these.

don't do drugs kids

Last edited by reprise85 : 08-18-2022 at 01:28 PM.

Old 08-19-2022, 01:13 PM   #86
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Byrne, for all his difficulties with the band, at least made some amount of sense. He wore his Jimmy influence on his sleeve.
Furthermore, for all that it could be argued that Byrne wasn't a 'good fit' for the band, I implore everyone to watch this if ye haven't seen it yet:

https://youtu.be/OOIHhG4croE

Bearcubbin'! live vid. Dude is on fire the whole time, very very nice. Those last forty seconds in particular are massive. When Bill's not forcing him to try and be Jimmy this guy's capable of some of the most interesting drumming I've heard in math rock. I think people complained about Oceania because he was a very 'busy' drummer, but in this scenario where that's basically the whole deal it's absolutely incredible.

Old 08-19-2022, 02:55 PM   #87
Ram27
dumb

seeing bryne say 'perfect pussy' will haunt my dreams

but completely agree with the above drumming analysis. 3:05 fucking slams

Old 08-19-2022, 05:55 PM   #88
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post

probably xanax, 30mg oxy is a lot for someone without tolerance and would probably make you nauseated. also i'd associate 'messy' with benzos more than opioids. if he was describing opioids it would probably be more about the euphoria.

30 mg oxys were always called 'blues' while 1mg xanax were always called footballs (because of the shape) - in the 2000/2010s. not sure about the 90s. both are little blue pills. very very likely it was one of these.

don't do drugs kids
there's a later interview where he confirms they were "muscle relaxers" so I can support this science

Old 08-19-2022, 06:57 PM   #89
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSultanOfCyr View Post
Furthermore, for all that it could be argued that Byrne wasn't a 'good fit' for the band, I implore everyone to watch this if ye haven't seen it yet:

https://youtu.be/OOIHhG4croE

Bearcubbin'! live vid. Dude is on fire the whole time, very very nice. Those last forty seconds in particular are massive. When Bill's not forcing him to try and be Jimmy this guy's capable of some of the most interesting drumming I've heard in math rock. I think people complained about Oceania because he was a very 'busy' drummer, but in this scenario where that's basically the whole deal it's absolutely incredible.
i mean it can be implied that his years of touring with the pumpkins made him much more skillful to get to this point.. but goddamn he sounds fuckin good here

Old 08-20-2022, 07:10 AM   #90
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post

don't do drugs kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
there's a later interview where he confirms they were "muscle relaxers" so I can support this science

Good work detectives

I seem to remember the quote "downers are like speed to my system" from bc, is that even a thing?