Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

View Poll Results: Are the Smashing Pumpkins finally over?
Yes 22 41.51%
No 9 16.98%
Yes but only in their current lineup 12 22.64%
No but they are terrible now 10 18.87%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #31
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with fuzzyroses about "Tarantula." You could not have done better with that as a lead single. You can even read threads about it here and see that the reaction was overwhelmingly positive. There was a hope that Corgan just might be able to pull it off. Unfortunately, none of the other songs on Zeitgeist got anywhere close.

That being said, even after Zeitgeist came out and no one cared, the tour was exciting in 2007. Different set lists every night, the band that year was on fire. The majority of the 2011-2013 touring was wondering what old songs the new ones would play and if they would rank from "adequate/tolerable" to astonishingly bad.
Everything about Tarantula is/was/has always been absolutely horrible and forgettable apart from that 5 second part where it breaks down and sounds like Siamese Dream.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #32
chucklescrotum
Banned

I'm concerned how Bill has let his homosexual urges to take over the entire band. Now they're just a shit band playing music for faggots.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #33
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Perhaps this is the most dynamic thing we have seen the Pumpkins do since Jimmy would come out and play guitar on 1979 or in the small clip during Mayonnaise in Vieuphoria where we see Billy playing drums and later he would play the timpani in 2008.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #34
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Re read the old threads about it. There were people comparing it to "Geek USA." I'll be the first to admit that this very well could have just been excitement about having a new Smashing Pumpkins song out getting to people, but it was positive.
This place was over run with O-Board morons at that point in history.

What's with all the people talking about rereading the archives lately.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #35
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavrentis View Post
They are in their prime.
post/av

Old 11-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #36
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavrentis View Post
They are in their prime.
This post must be 17 years old.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #37
Ram27
dumb

Woah...I've never really thought about it but things went to shit around when I was born.

...sorry.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #38
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I'm worried about Jeff. Nicole has her own band. Mike has fast food job skills and a gig waiting for him in the Pacific Northwest Math Rock scene. But what does Jeff have? A graduate degree? Show me somebody who recently completed a graduate degree in Literature and I'll show you a barista with a chip on their shoulder. Jeff is no James Iha. I doubt he can go to Korea and play solo gigs at festivals.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #39
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
I'm worried about Jeff. Nicole has her own band. Mike has fast food job skills and a gig waiting for him in the Pacific Northwest Math Rock scene. But what does Jeff have? A graduate degree? Show me somebody who recently completed a graduate degree in Literature and I'll show you a barista with a chip on their shoulder. Jeff is no James Iha. I doubt he can go to Korea and play solo gigs at festivals.

>>>

Quote:
You were studying for your Ph.D in Comparative Literature before you joined the band. What were your plans after you got your degree?

"I was planning on being in academia and being a professor and teaching full time. At some point, it's something I may return to. For the last two years, the band has been so incredibly busy, so I had to make a choice of one over the other. I love being in the band, so it wasn't hard. But I am passionate about literature, and I think literature, music and art are so tied together."
Source:
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...s-sound-565872

Old 11-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #40
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

LOL

Old 11-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #41
Trotskilicious
Banned

you unmitigated turd

Old 11-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #42
Trotskilicious
Banned

i mean

Quote:
Show me somebody who recently completed a graduate degree in Literature and I'll show you a barista with a chip on their shoulder
i thought you had some stupid BA but somehow you managed to avoid this fate, you must be very charming in person and a good worker because that's the only way i can explain it

Old 11-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #43
Trotskilicious
Banned

i mean it's not like you're thoughtful or have excellent critical thinking skills

Old 11-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #44
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

jeebus, trots. you butthurt or what?

its not like I can control the fact that 25 years ago a liberal arts degree could get you a job and today it gets you jack shit.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #45
Trotskilicious
Banned

it was rhetorical eat my shit grandad lookin motherfucker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #46
Trotskilicious
Banned

and for the record i'm not butthurt, it's because you make condescending posts about the plebian baristas with masters in comparative lit even though you're a very fortunate person to be where you are

Old 11-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #47
Baffler_Meal
Mothmonsterman

You know Jeff is a "yes man" when he has a Ph.D in Comparative Literature and plays for the guy who wrote "Blinking With Fists".

With the snide remark out of the way, Jeff will be fine. He is a talented musician who probably deserves better than Billy. He's not Great with a capital G, but he's very good. He's a smart guy and at the very worst would end up making ends meet teaching at a community college. Not the end of the world.

I worry the most about Mike, to tell you the truth. Does he have the self awareness to know how bad he is, at least in terms of fitting into the sound of the Smashing Pumpkins?

Old 11-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #48
Trotskilicious
Banned

he's going to go all crazy on drugs with justin beiber

Old 11-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #49
slunken
Virgo

Old 11-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #50
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
he's going to go all crazy on drugs with justin beiber
that might be the best thing to happen to SP since mike joined the band.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #51
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
and for the record i'm not butthurt, it's because you make condescending posts about the plebian baristas with masters in comparative lit even though you're a very fortunate person to be where you are
have a nice day, Trots!

Old 11-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #52
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

when I got out of college with my liberal arts degrees I worked in a record store and pushed carts in the parking lot of a grocery store. I was over educated and had degrees that were good for nothing but service sector jobs or getting into graduate school.

but that doesn't fit the trots narrative where anybody who manages to get decent job doesn't deserve it because everything sucks for Trots

Old 11-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #53
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
How many people screamed at you over the phone today?

Just admit, you got a little butt hurt.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #54
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

The fundamental question here is an interesting one - and what was the real last communication we had from Billy? That long phone interview with Monte where he sounded all beat up and down, which was kind of a shame, but at the same time, filled me with some hope that he would just take some time off.

Feel like dude needs a breather, some time to wrap up his book, and realize that the SP reunion should have been (as one of you said on here many moons ago) himself, a nice acoustic guitar, and a stool.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #55
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

no more money = hiatus

A year ago he was making comments about recording the next album, writing new music and growing the new band's sound. then all of a sudden he sounds like a scrooge in interviews and everybody in the band has gone home.

my guess is that he's blown a shit ton of money since 2011 and gotten none of it back. He had to fund the recording of Oceania, two tours and the NYC blue ray concert film. Aside from the album sales and film sales the band members are probably paid per diem when they're recording, touring, etc.

There's no way the tours, album or concert film have made any real money. On top of that outside of the hardcore remaining fans he got almost no credit at all from the media or popular music outlets.

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 11-09-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #56
T&T
Socialphobic

and then this pic of SD era billy leaked!

http://i.imgur.com/h6FyLyA.jpg

Old 11-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #57
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

It's interesting that no one in the band has actually moved to Chicago. You'd think that if they were a real unit and they were interested in continuing to work together they'd have all moved to Illinois a long time ago. Keeping their apartments on the West Coast was probably a good idea.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #58
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
no more money = hiatus

A year ago he was making comments about recording the next album, writing new music and growing the new band's sound. then all of a sudden he sounds like a scrooge in interviews and everybody in the band has gone home.

my guess is that he's blown a shit ton of money since 2011 and gotten none of it back. He had to fund the recording of Oceania, two tours and the NYC blue ray concert film. Aside from the album sales and film sales the band members are probably paid per diem when they're recording, touring, etc.

There's no way the tours, album or concert film have made any real money. On top of that outside of the hardcore remaining fans he got almost no credit at all from the media or popular music outlets.
You might be on to something. The only real source of revenue for artists these days comes from the touring... But of course, Billy was stubborn and insisted on playing huge arenas that were usually only a quarter full... Blowing any chance they had at raking in some nice money from the tour.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #59
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
It's interesting that no one in the band has actually moved to Chicago. You'd think that if they were a real unit and they were interested in continuing to work together they'd have all moved to Illinois a long time ago. Keeping their apartments on the West Coast was probably a good idea.
Just further proves that they're strictly hired hands... Billy rings em up and flies em over when he needs them and that's pretty much it. They're not a band that gets together and creates music with each other.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #60
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...1a53c12301.png

Yeah it looks like the Smashing Pumpkins have been dead for some time now, and that argument could be made based on multiple criteria.