Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Are the Smashing Pumpkins finally over?
Yes 22 41.51%
No 9 16.98%
Yes but only in their current lineup 12 22.64%
No but they are terrible now 10 18.87%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
Banana
Banned

Question Do you think the band is dead?

The three new albums have all been bombs especially the last two. I saw them in 2007 that was a legitimately great show. I have no interest at all in seeing them now. I remember a few years ago my friend won free tickets to as show in Philly and I turned them down to go to another concert that I had to pay for. This band has lost so much steam and turns out such shit now that I wouldn't even go and see them live for free. I can honestly say that because I did that.

I don't think Corgan brings them back from this. I think the brand name is officially done until the proper cash grab reunion tour eventually happens in 3-5 years. Hopefully he'll wisen up and do a simple solo acoustic album. But this band was officially done and over with when Jimmy left. There was some promise in their initial reunion but then it all went to shit and that's what makes it all the more disappointing.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Alright take care, man

Old 11-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #3
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post

I don't think Corgan brings them back from this. I think the brand name is officially done until the proper cash grab reunion tour eventually happens in 3-5 years. Hopefully he'll wisen up and do a simple solo acoustic album. But this band was officially done and over with when Jimmy left. There was some promise in their initial reunion but then it all went to shit and that's what makes it all the more disappointing.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...psf94ce1b0.gif

Old 11-02-2013, 04:11 AM   #4
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post

Old 11-02-2013, 02:46 AM   #5
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah I had some hope in the few 2 years. If all goes wrong songs and some songs from spirits in the sky and backward clock society made some sense... Even with zhitgeist in the middle it could be forgetable and I could see some bright future in smashimg pumpkins. But after billy get back to studio in teargarden they got drown and drown everyday, and jimmy spotted that shit and just left. Billy did not want to see that and keep it until now where the only exit to SP is death... at least I hope so.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spira|_ View Post
But after billy get back to studio in teargarden they got drown and drown everyday
all your base are belong to us

Old 11-02-2013, 02:51 AM   #7
T&T
Socialphobic

Billy corgan would kurt kablam himself if he really wanted to end the band

Old 11-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #8
Ram27
dumb

I don't think Billy has enough grace to go out even this easily unfortunately.

Also Smashing Pumpkins cannot end without at least one more performance with Billy and Jimmy together. Cannot.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

How big are the chances of him doing a short acoustic tour in the next few years? Considering his voice is letting him down more and more.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIsNoWhy4U View Post
How big are the chances of him doing a short acoustic tour in the next few years? Considering his voice is letting him down more and more.
What do you mean?

It seems like he's intentionally singing like a jackass.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
It seems like he's intentionally singing like a jackass.
>>>

Old 11-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

I'm sure you must have noticed his voice getting weaker in performances of for example 'Tonight Tonight'. He's shaking on the first two-three words. Did not do that on the Zeitgeist tour.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
slunken
Virgo

the band is dead get rid of the band

Old 11-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #14
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

it seems weird that the band just...stopped all of a sudden. I mean I didn't give a squirt about the Oceania tour either but it was like once it was over see ya bye

Old 11-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #15
slunken
Virgo

that's because billy will call them if and when he needs them again

Old 11-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #16
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Yes, Billy will call them just a couple of days before Bearcubbin wants to go on tour.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #17
brutechinasky
Demi-God

Quote:

he's gonna light the byrne-signal

sorry

Old 11-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #18
fuzzyroes
Banned

Banana- I gotta agree with you man. There was an excitement in the air, and energy when the band was on tour in 2007. I actually think Zetigeist was a pretty damn good comeback album in a lot of senses. No one knew what the fuck to expect to hear when they heard that the Pumpkins were coming back. Then they just come out and kick ya in the teeth with Tarantula. Tarantula was a pretty bad ass way to re-introduce people to the band. And it was totally them. It wasn't contrived or trying desperately to fit in with the times...(*cough*Oceania*cough*) Zeitgeist while not as good as the lead single had a lot of really solid moments. It was a good come back in my mind and had me re-energized as a fan.

Then with the excitement of the band being back- Ya got to see em on tour! and the 2007 tour was fucking sweet. Like I said- There was energy from the band and excitement in the air.

They should have kept on rolling along but then Billy started being a fool and writing crappy songs on the spot- the day of the show and started performing crappy 30 minute covers... Then once Jimmy had enough of Billys bullshit and strolled off into the sunset it was just Corgan and the whole thing was fucking finished right then and there... Billy could have attempted to salvage some of that energy and hire a top-notch drummer but he decided to firmly hammer the nails into the coffin by hiring Byrne... And here we are 4 years later, entirely uninterested with anything to do with the current band... What a shame.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 11-05-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #19
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Banana- I gotta agree with you man.
stops reading

Old 11-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #20
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
It wasn't contrived or trying desperately to fit in with the times...(*cough*Oceania*cough*)
i thought tarantula was very contrived and trying to fit in with the nu metal scene that was over three to four years before zeitgeist came out

i don't know what your'e on about trying to fit in with the times like Oceania.

oceania doesn't fit in anywhere, it's just a flaccid attempt to recapture past glory by giving just enough of what you think people want and wash it out with some good old fashioned mediocrity

Old 11-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #21
fuzzyroes
Banned

think about it... Jimmy leaves... Billy stubbornly keeps chugging along- And now we have Astral Planes and Widow wake my mind... gahhhhhhhh

Old 11-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #22
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

I thought I read something about Jeff saying that they're going back to the studio early next year?

Old 11-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #23
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

I wholeheartedly agree with fuzzyroses about "Tarantula." You could not have done better with that as a lead single. You can even read threads about it here and see that the reaction was overwhelmingly positive. There was a hope that Corgan just might be able to pull it off. Unfortunately, none of the other songs on Zeitgeist got anywhere close.

That being said, even after Zeitgeist came out and no one cared, the tour was exciting in 2007. Different set lists every night, the band that year was on fire. The majority of the 2011-2013 touring was wondering what old songs the new ones would play and if they would rank from "adequate/tolerable" to astonishingly bad.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #24
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with fuzzyroses about "Tarantula." You could not have done better with that as a lead single. You can even read threads about it here and see that the reaction was overwhelmingly positive. There was a hope that Corgan just might be able to pull it off. Unfortunately, none of the other songs on Zeitgeist got anywhere close.

That being said, even after Zeitgeist came out and no one cared, the tour was exciting in 2007. Different set lists every night, the band that year was on fire. The majority of the 2011-2013 touring was wondering what old songs the new ones would play and if they would rank from "adequate/tolerable" to astonishingly bad.
Everything about Tarantula is/was/has always been absolutely horrible and forgettable apart from that 5 second part where it breaks down and sounds like Siamese Dream.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #25
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Actually, when a small clip of the song first leaked, the reaction to Tarantula was overwhelmingly negative. After people listened to the whole song, they were more positive about it, but I have to say "overwhelmingly positive" is an overstatement.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #26
Trotskilicious
Banned

a major overstatement

Old 11-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #27
T&T
Socialphobic

tarantula was nu-metal?

Old 11-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #28
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
tarantula was nu-metal?
it had chino in the video for it for chrissakes

Old 11-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #29
Order 66
Socialphobic

i think the consensus with zietgeist in 07 was like "that's cool ... i guess"

nobody was really saying it was terrible (except for people whose default position is everything's terrible). it just didn't really warrant a "reunion"

the whole thing just seemed all over the place. its supposed to be an album about political angst or whatever but only about two or three songs really reflected that. billy's "themes" are usually ambiguous and loose ended but with zietgeist it was like "here's a bunch of songs to put on shuffle"

Old 11-06-2013, 02:37 AM   #30
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I thought the consensus was that the drumming on Tarantula was excellent but everything else was mediocre or just horrible.