Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2022, 11:07 PM   #1
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face Arcade Fire’s Win Butler Faces Accusations of Sexual Misconduct

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ns-1234583235/

ARCADE FIRE’S WIN Butler faces accusations of sexual misconduct — from sexual assault to unsolicited sexting — from multiple women between 2016 to 2020.

In the Pitchfork report, four woman — three of whom were “devoted” Arcade Fire fans between the ages of 18 to 23 at the time of meeting Butler — detailed their allegations against the singer, who has been married to Arcade Fire band mate Régine Chassagne since 2003.

Butler admitted to the extramarital relationships in a statement to Pitchfork, but insisted that all of the sexual encounters were “consensual.”

“Lily,” who is gender-fluid and uses they/them pronouns, said they met Butler at a Montreal concert in 2015 and struck up a friendship. However, following a Feb. 2015 dinner, Butler allegedly stuck his hands into Lily’s pants without consent; in a response to Pitchfork’s report, Butler claimed he only put his hand on Lily’s inner thigh. Butler and Lily kissed at the end of the night, but “I did not ask for it. I did not reciprocate. It was very short and uncomfortable because it was so bad,” Lily told Pitchfork.

Two days later, Butler showed up Lily’s apartment, where “he pinned me up against the wall and was aggressively grabbing my body and sticking his tongue down my throat,” Lily said. “It was an attempt to be sexy, and it was so not OK in the context.”

Three more women, all Arcade Fire fans over a decade younger than Butler, each shared how Butler sought them out over social media; the online conversations between the fans and the singer eventually turned into in-real-life meetups and nonstop requests for each women to send him explicit photos. (Butler reportedly also sent unsolicited nude photos of himself to one woman.)

“Win butler asked me for nudes and tried to sext me. And I told him I was really uncomfortable with that,” one of the woman, “Stella,” wrote in a 2016 Facebook chat. “I don’t really know what to do now. He keeps texting me. Over and over.”

Another woman, “Sarah,” told Pitchfork of her 2018 online interactions with Butler, “I did everything because it was him,I don’t like doing any kind of video stuff, especially sexual stuff. I remember being so nervous and so ashamed that I did it. I’d be like, ‘I don’t feel well.’ And he’d be like, ‘Send me a picture right now.’ He used me, basically, as his personal therapist, and easy way to get sex over the phone. The FaceTimes would be strictly: he gets off, hangs up. I felt sick every day after I did it.”

“Fiona,” who Butler reached out to after she was front row at an Arcade Fire concert in Montreal, similarly had one interactions with Butler before having in-person sexual encounters with the singer; after one sexual encounter in Vancouver the night before an Arcade Fire concert in that city, Fiona claims she attempted suicide. “I felt incredibly low,” Fiona said. “The toll of having to keep everything secret, constantly pushing my needs aside in order to appease him, lack of boundaries, and the guilt of being the other woman was getting too hard to ignore.”

Responding to Fiona’s allegations, Butler acknowledged he knew about the suicide attempt but says Fiona told him “it was unrelated to me, she was suffering from mental illness.” However, Fiona countered, “It was absolutely related to him.”

The four women in Pitchfork’s report did not initially know each other and only connected after each shared their experiences with Butler in a Reddit post. “Sexual predator – from when I was an 18 year old fan girl,” Fiona wrote in an Instagram Live story in 2020, the screenshot of which fueled the Reddit post. “He would constantly try to coerce me into sexual encounters and sending nude photos of myself and sending unsolicited nude pictures of himself after I repeatedly told him I was not interested. He would not leave me alone and texted me from different numbers after I blocked him. Never once asked for my age either.”

In a lengthy statement to Pitchfork, Butler admitted “I have had consensual relationships outside of my marriage,” however, “I have never touched a woman against her will, and any implication that I have is simply false. I vehemently deny any suggestion that I forced myself on a woman or demanded sexual favors. That simply, and unequivocally, never happened.”

“While these relationships were all consensual, I am very sorry to anyone who I have hurt with my behavior. Life is filled with tremendous pain and error, and I never want to be part of causing someone else’s pain,” Butler said in the statement.

“I have long struggled with mental health issues and the ghosts of childhood abuse. In my 30s, I started drinking as I dealt with the heaviest depression of my life after our family experienced a miscarriage. None of this is intended to excuse my behavior, but I do want to give some context and share what was happening in my life around this time. I no longer recognized myself or the person I had become. Régine waited patiently watching me suffer and tried to help me as best as she could. I know it must have been so hard for her to watch the person she loved so lost.”

Butler added that, “I’ve spent the last few years since Covid hit trying to save that part of my soul. I have put significant time and energy into therapy and healing, including attending AA.”

Chassagne said in a separate statement, “Win is my soulmate, my songwriting partner, my husband, the father of my beautiful boy. He has been my partner in life and in music for 20 years. And for all of the love in our lives, I have also watched him suffer through immense pain… I know what is in his heart, and I know he has never, and would never, touch a woman"

Old 08-28-2022, 09:55 AM   #2
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Is there something criminally relevant or is it just another chapter of the "Neo-Puritans vs Egomaniacal celebrities" saga?

Old 08-28-2022, 03:00 PM   #3
Disco King
Minion of Satan

If the accusations are true… some of them do sound criminal, though. It's not "puritan" to be against literal sexual assault and harassment.

You'd think the question would be "is this true?" rather than "is this even that bad?" Because duh it's bad if it's true.

Old 08-28-2022, 05:26 PM   #4
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

this thread really pairs excellently with "the new arcade fire fucking sucks" & maybe a nice chardonnay

Old 08-29-2022, 03:35 AM   #5
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
If the accusations are true… some of them do sound criminal, though. It's not "puritan" to be against literal sexual assault and harassment.

You'd think the question would be "is this true?" rather than "is this even that bad?" Because duh it's bad if it's true.
"Three women made allegations of sexual interactions with Butler that they came to feel were inappropriate given the gaps in age, power dynamics, and context in which they occurred. " [Pitchfork]

"“Fiona,” who Butler reached out to after she was front row at an Arcade Fire concert in Montreal, similarly had one interactions with Butler before having in-person sexual encounters with the singer;"

idk the fact they were quick to factor in age gap for 18/23 girls... i'd be very cautious.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:17 AM   #6
Disco King
Minion of Satan

That age gap isn't what would make it bad. It's more the "pinning me against a wall and forcing his tongue down my throat" thing, which, if true, is bad even if the people involved shared a birthday.

Old 08-29-2022, 01:23 PM   #7
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
this thread really pairs excellently with "the new arcade fire fucking sucks" & maybe a nice chardonnay
Arcade Fire's We has more good songs on it than Cyr

Arcade Fire tho has definitely already peaked creatively

Old 08-30-2022, 02:33 PM   #8
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post

idk the fact they were quick to factor in age gap for 18/23 girls... i'd be very cautious.
Post/av

Old 08-30-2022, 02:52 PM   #9
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Old 08-30-2022, 03:18 PM   #10
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Post/av
Have/no/idea/What/it/means

Old 08-30-2022, 03:21 PM   #11
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

your post pairs well with your avatar

damn lot of TASTY pairings in this thread aren't there?

Old 08-30-2022, 03:47 PM   #12
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Wow so fucking clever. Bet you guys are into skeleton onesies eh?

Old 08-30-2022, 04:03 PM   #13
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I don't get the joke, but my skeleton costume is a two-piece.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:11 PM   #14
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Phoebe Bitchers used to wear a skeleton onesie, it's Ryan Adams related, not directed at you specifically.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:44 PM   #15
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

i mean what kinda reception were you expected using that particular young gallant as your avatar in these trying times?

Old 08-30-2022, 05:53 PM   #16
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Allegations against Ryan Adams melted like snow in the sun. So what? He's just another uber-talented egomaniac.

You're literally a fictional stalker/serial killer! No spoilers thanks, still have to check that one out.

Old 08-30-2022, 06:22 PM   #17
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

now wait a damn minute buster brown serial killing & getting "wild widdit" in a young girl's DM's are 2 very different things and I will not allow that line to be blurred in this case... discussion!

Old 08-30-2022, 06:27 PM   #18
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

just look at all this "hearsay" resulting from a simple, effectively-placed post/av...

& those 3 people in Brainerd....

and for what? for a little bit of money?

there's more to life then a little money, you know

don't you know that?

and here y'are... and it's a beautiful day

Old 08-31-2022, 02:12 AM   #19
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

In the autumn of 2019, the FBI informed Adams's lawyer that the investigation had been dropped and no proof of illegal behavior with underage girls had been found. The underage fan later provided a written statement that included, "I was not truthful about my age in my texts and communications with Ryan and I repeatedly told him I was 18."

Old 08-31-2022, 02:18 AM   #20
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

C'mon mang, there's a certain level of quality that is expected from you on this board. Leave the cheap indignation to the aussie virtue signallers around here.

Old 08-31-2022, 07:58 AM   #21
redbreegull

Are you suuuuuuure you’re 18? People are gonna think I’m like r kelly lol

Old 08-31-2022, 08:04 AM   #22
redbreegull

Btw as many on this board could tell you, Im a Ryan Adams super fan, like I have his unreleased albums burned to cd in my car. Doesn’t excuse his behavior, which at least in the case of the underage girl, is criminal regardless of whether there was enough material evidence to prosecute

Old 08-31-2022, 08:12 AM   #23
Cool As Ice Cream

wait, what? having a cd in your car doesn't excuse his behaviour? huh?
what, what, what?!?

Old 08-31-2022, 09:37 AM   #24
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Doesn’t excuse his behavior, which at least in the case of the underage girl, is criminal regardless of whether there was enough material evidence to prosecute
It is criminal according to who? The archbishop at your local Archdiocese? Lmao

No proof of illegal behavior, not not enough evidence.

It was a fucking crusade, mang, and you as a fan should be on THIS side of the fence.

Old 08-31-2022, 10:30 AM   #25
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

somebody really wants to keep listening to that cover of Wonderwall

Old 08-31-2022, 12:04 PM   #26
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

best cover ever made, yes

Old 08-31-2022, 12:17 PM   #27
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Old 08-31-2022, 01:11 PM   #28
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
It was a fucking crusade, mang, and you as a fan should be on THIS side of the fence.
Can you change your location to something like "Believe men" or "Rape allegations are always false" or "Men are the real victims of rape culture" or something so I don't have to keep referring to my notes every time I see one of your posts? Would just speed up my boarding immensely. Thx in advance

Old 08-31-2022, 01:15 PM   #29
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

Off the top of my head, the last three times sexual misconduct allegations about celebrities came up on this board, you dismissed them all three times (Manson, Butler, Adams). Possibly there was some Depp defending in there? Not sure if that happened or I just made the natural extrapolation of your position on that.

You know what, I guess I'll remember you regardless, never mind

Old 08-31-2022, 02:40 PM   #30
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Man this pisses me off.

You very deceitfully tried to make it sound like it's a "men unite" kinda thing. Bullshit. it's about super-rich celebrities leading dissolute lives, fame, drugs, hordes of fans, none of them has gone to trial, FBI investigations dismissed.

I take it on that side of the pond it's still very much the Far West, guns are out of control, presidents assassinated, storming of Capitol Hill. However here in Europe it is the state of law that matters most.

Maybe I'm biased because I've spent some time behind the scenes of many concerts in the past but this all "orc thing" sounds, you know, a little staged.

Isn't it strange how for two of them it's the same Phoebe Bridgers jumping on the allegation bandwagon at the very last second? ("Oh, he had a rape room when I was there.")

God damn it, Toplessbird.