Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2022, 03:40 AM   #4741
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Speaking of the Japan LP. People have started receiving them? So…who’s gonna upload a rip of this thing? kthxbai
I'm willing to exchange the japanese rip with the city of angels rip. Get on it, pronto.

Old 05-14-2022, 09:20 AM   #4742
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
Melissa's bass sounds terrible
I seem to be partially deaf in whatever part of the sonic spectrum a lot of rock bass occupies, so I have no idea what people are talking about when they say Melissa's bass tone was awful (another factor here is I don't know shit about guitars/basses)

Can someone explain? Like if I plucked a string on D'arcy's bass and then the same string on Melissa's, it would sound different, kind of like a guitar sounds different when you turn a bunch of the dials on the amp or something?

I feel like a ton of people say her tone didn't fit the music, something along those lines—isn't that something Billy would be exacting about? Wouldn't he get her to change her...fuckin'...settings or something, to be closer to D'arcy's? Insist she play a different bass?

I can't imagine this is easy to explain in words as opposed to just hearing it, but if anyone wants to give it a brief go, I'd be grateful

Old 05-14-2022, 09:29 AM   #4743
run2pee
Minion of Satan

For me the difference is Melissa used the bass as a more percussive instrument. Her playing is more “clacky” and apparent in the overall mix, vs Darcy’s more smooth, unobtrusive, rounded sound. Basically creamy pb vs Xtra crunchy

It is a good point that if big willie didn’t like it, he would have done something about it, i imagine he felt it fit with the nu metal sort of element to the machina songs that were emphasized live.

Old 05-14-2022, 10:29 AM   #4744
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

I’ve always thought her bass tone and style of play sounded just fine. It actually meshed really well with the cyber metal sound they were going for during the Machina era. Moreover, I really liked her personality on and off stage back in 2000. She seemed like such a stable, approachable, enthusiastic member of the band who really respected the music and the fans.

Old 05-14-2022, 10:30 AM   #4745
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

It also seemed like she meshed really well with James.

Old 05-14-2022, 05:05 PM   #4746
slunken
Virgo

also she's really really hot

Old 05-14-2022, 07:33 PM   #4747
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2pee View Post
For me the difference is Melissa used the bass as a more percussive instrument. Her playing is more “clacky” and apparent in the overall mix, vs Darcy’s more smooth, unobtrusive, rounded sound. Basically creamy pb vs Xtra crunchy
Thank you! That's really helpful. With this in mind, I'm gonna relisten to some shows and see if I can make this out at all.

Old 05-14-2022, 08:20 PM   #4748
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
but you have to prove to him, because he is Very Virtuous, that you bought the record to get the rip

defeating the purpose almost entirely

it's 2022, digital information should be limitless, open the frontier, etc etc
That’s douchey. Hard to believe people still engage in Dave 4553L1N style hoarding (fuck you Pissed Jeans).

Old 05-14-2022, 11:58 PM   #4749
trev
charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Thank you! That's really helpful. With this in mind, I'm gonna relisten to some shows and see if I can make this out at all.
mellisa's tone had the mids and highs brought out a lot more. this is often done to make the bass cut through a mix more, since the higher and easier to hear frequencies are boosted. it will sound a bit harsher, or brighter, more detailed.

it also had a lot of attack, and not much sustain. eg. the initial sound of a note is quite loud and obvious but it decays / fades off fairly fast on held notes.

the old classic sp tone was the opposite of both of those things. dialed down mids and treble, all low end, warm, round, some might say muddy. it had lots of sustain and not much decay, so notes would be more 'present' the entire time they are being played / sounded.

i really like the classic sp bass tone, or at least those parts i described about it above, and i normally go for that sort of sound with my playing. i'd sometimes describe the sustain part of it sort of like an electric organ, where you press and hold a note and it just stays the same - producing an even and constant sound level for as long as you hold it. it gives this 'always present' but 'never in your face' type of vibe. which sits under the classic sp guitar sound really well too.

Old 05-15-2022, 11:16 AM   #4750
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Talking

Quote:
r u talkin' bass 2 me?
she had the kind of bass tone that a person in a 2-piece drums, bass, & vox groups might, where it takes center stage/most of the high & mid-range with no real need on the sonic spectrum for guitars

you can imagine how this might be a problem for our beloved Pump Pumps

Last edited by Joey Goldberg : 05-15-2022 at 11:26 AM.

Old 05-15-2022, 11:27 AM   #4751
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Sneaker Pumps*

Old 05-15-2022, 11:28 AM   #4752
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

take me down

(CLING CLANG CLING CLINK)

6 underground

Old 05-15-2022, 03:16 PM   #4753
smashboy
Pledge

This thread is almost 4 years old

Old 05-15-2022, 04:42 PM   #4754
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashboy View Post
You think that's a long time, we've been waiting for this shit for near enough 12... https://www.youtube.com/c/smashingpumpkins/videos

Old 05-15-2022, 09:20 PM   #4755
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy drevpile View Post
You think that's a long time, we've been waiting for this shit for near enough 12... https://www.youtube.com/c/smashingpumpkins/videos
Fun fact this thread was started right around the time my second son was born

And now he’s in prison with kids of his own

Old 05-20-2022, 07:42 PM   #4756
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
so are you

Old 05-20-2022, 07:44 PM   #4757
slunken
Virgo

goo goo ga ga

Old 05-28-2022, 05:06 PM   #4758
smashboy
Pledge

I mean, I was reading this forum before we even considered your conception with your mother, my little boy

Old 06-01-2022, 07:52 AM   #4759
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Any minute now

Old 06-01-2022, 08:15 AM   #4760
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Didnt bill drop the reissue. It wont see the light of day, cause the opera will come out in dec.22 so, as i said...release 2024 earliest

Old 06-01-2022, 11:46 AM   #4761
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
Didnt bill drop the reissue. It wont see the light of day, cause the opera will come out in dec.22 so, as i said...release 2024 earliest
Where is this date coming from?

Old 06-01-2022, 04:01 PM   #4762
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

the fascinating mind & "anals" of brothahi 4 L

Old 06-01-2022, 04:55 PM   #4763
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Unhappy

Billy did say Machina sounded fine as-is, yeah. And then it seemed like he was pretending he didn't know what people were talking about when they mentioned the "Machina reissue." And then I believe he directly called out the shit-talking brotha had done in this thread as the reason it was all off.

There were (real) screenshots and everything. I'm glad we've moved on and forgiven brotha collectively, but man, sometimes I'm still a little upset with him.

Old 06-01-2022, 04:59 PM   #4764
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

lest we forget that all of the remixed tracks will sound unlistenable due to piss poor vocal balance, just like this:
https://open.spotify.com/track/469zi...a7e1110ff548db

then those tracks will be dispersed with remasters of the original mixes that are being used because of all the master tape hubub.... and then white spyder is randomly gonna have glam rock drums

i want the machina remaster just as much as everyone else but lets not pretend that it wont be an utter mess... i guess thats part of the fun

Old 06-01-2022, 05:02 PM   #4765
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

i like how the 1998released once in awhile just sounds really nice and properly Adore-chic and then billy was like "N000000 HOWRD TAKE OUT THE BACKING VOCALS AND JACK UP MY MAIN VOCALS ITS THE MODERn WAY HOWARDDDDDDDDD I DONT CARE IF ITS PITCHY"

Old 06-01-2022, 05:10 PM   #4766
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Talking

Quote:
Billy did say Machina sounded fine as-is, yeah. And then it seemed like he was pretending he didn't know what people were talking about when they mentioned the "Machina reissue." And then I believe he directly called out the shit-talking brotha had done in this thread as the reason it was all off.

There were (real) screenshots and everything. I'm glad we've moved on and forgiven brotha collectively, but man, sometimes I'm still a little upset with him.
toppley..... pls.....

Old 06-01-2022, 07:47 PM   #4767
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourruseoffools View Post
i like how the 1998released once in awhile just sounds really nice and properly Adore-chic and then billy was like "N000000 HOWRD TAKE OUT THE BACKING VOCALS AND JACK UP MY MAIN VOCALS ITS THE MODERn WAY HOWARDDDDDDDDD I DONT CARE IF ITS PITCHY"
i noticed shit like this too. like they took the echo off of czarina and soot and stars i think too. like the damn deluxe reissue doesn't even ******* the proper b-sides but will have 6 versions of other songs. what the heck

sure let's ******* a 5th version of for martha but not ******* the real version of ______

make it make sense

Old 06-01-2022, 07:49 PM   #4768
slunken
Virgo

wow i boned that post with sketchy words

not even slurs either

Old 06-01-2022, 07:50 PM   #4769
slunken
Virgo

i love typing slurs online

Old 06-02-2022, 01:01 AM   #4770
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
i noticed shit like this too. like they took the echo off of czarina and soot and stars i think too. like the damn deluxe reissue doesn't even ******* the proper b-sides but will have 6 versions of other songs. what the heck

sure let's ******* a 5th version of for martha but not ******* the real version of ______

make it make sense
Yeah, he also screwed up Eye and gave us completely different version/mix.