Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2022, 04:28 PM   #61
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

I haven't listened to much of the Chili Peppers' last two albums, but no way is their last good album Californication. By The Way and Stadium Arcadium are both amazing albums and there's really nothing bland or down the middle about them. There's an unbelievable diversity of songs and creativity on those albums. I'm With You is strong as well. Unlimited Love sounds kinda down the middle so far but I haven't listened to much of it so far

Old 04-11-2022, 04:32 PM   #62
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
The idea of him running an unprofitable business for ten years straight sounds insane but then again his recording career has been in the red for much longer than that, so...
I don't think it's uncommon for rich people to run unprofitable passion projects. They do so because they can afford to and have the money to burn.

Like, check out almost any local art gallery. It's probably not making money. It's being funded by some rich guy who either inherited wealth or made his money in something totally unrelated to art, and then decided that he wants a gallery named after himself.

Old 04-11-2022, 04:42 PM   #63
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Lucky 14
Lucky 69

Old 04-11-2022, 05:13 PM   #64
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
I haven't listened to much of the Chili Peppers' last two albums, but no way is their last good album Californication. By The Way and Stadium Arcadium are both amazing albums and there's really nothing bland or down the middle about them. There's an unbelievable diversity of songs and creativity on those albums. I'm With You is strong as well. Unlimited Love sounds kinda down the middle so far but I haven't listened to much of it so far

Just replace Billy's "Lover" with "California" and you have a RHCP album

Old 04-11-2022, 05:15 PM   #65
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nater-Tater-Tot View Post

The Machina reissue was completed after Christmas, and everything has been signed off on it but there were some issues with the artwork (big shocker) and it was essentially put on hold until he decided to announce one day that everything was complete. Originally he tried to get it released this summer, but that changed to February of next year instead assumingly to coincide with the original album release.
The fuck what now

There were problems with the artwork years ago and he said the original artwork wouldn't even be used anymore, offhand mentioned Linda Strawberry might do it instead or ssomething.

Is he still trying to secure the rights to the original Vasily Kafanov Machina 1 artwork or are these problems with the alleged replacement art? Or are these printing problems or what?

Christ Bill just use the Machina II artwork, Vasily was nice but I don't care anymore.

Old 04-11-2022, 06:37 PM   #66
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post

Christ Bill just use the Machina II artwork, Vasily was nice but I don't care anymore.
Hell, hire Chloe to make something as budget looking as the Archives cover art if it means this thing will see the light of day.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:04 PM   #67
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Are we talking about the “sequel” to Mellon collie?

Old 04-11-2022, 08:04 PM   #68
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

I wonder how much mailbox money Bill gets every year. Like what would he make sitting on his butt doing absolutely nothing?

Old 04-11-2022, 09:50 PM   #69
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

CONFIRMED
The new MACHINA artwork:

Old 04-11-2022, 10:09 PM   #70
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
Are we talking about the “sequel” to Mellon collie?
Mellon Collie 2: Machina III/Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 2: The Return of the Cyr: No Friends, No Enemies, No Sunlight, No Twilight (The Machine's Still On)

Old 04-11-2022, 11:09 PM   #71
trev
charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
fuck that, i'd rather wait another 5 years and get the vasily artwork if that's even remotely a feasible option.

Old 04-12-2022, 06:15 AM   #72
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Artwork is completely overrated. I dont give a shit as long the music is good

Old 04-12-2022, 10:20 AM   #73
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Huh. Just occurred to me that these archive vinyl covers don't look like Strawberry's work. Has she finally done something to piss him off?

Old 04-12-2022, 10:55 AM   #74
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I don't think it's uncommon for rich people to run unprofitable passion projects. They do so because they can afford to and have the money to burn.
Totally possibile, the whole thing smacks of vanity project with a twist, siamese zombies must pay for their nostalgia1!1!!

Old 04-12-2022, 10:59 AM   #75
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

something wrong with your keyboard, brother???

Old 04-12-2022, 11:38 AM   #76
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Keyboard? What year are you posting from, !99! ?

Old 04-12-2022, 12:01 PM   #77
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

yeah god forbid i don't whip out an iPhone 17 for this state of the art operation here

Old 04-12-2022, 12:11 PM   #78
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Huh. Just occurred to me that these archive vinyl covers don't look like Strawberry's work. Has she finally done something to piss him off?
That would likely require more than the absolute bare minimum investment and using royalty-free imagery.

Old 04-12-2022, 01:12 PM   #79
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
Totally possibile, the whole thing smacks of vanity project with a twist, siamese zombies must pay for their nostalgia1!1!!
Are we talking about the tea house, or the album?

I was talking about the album when I spoke of rich people having unprofitable side businesses just for fun and fulfilment. I'm sure that when it comes to the music, Corgan doesn't do anything "just to express himself." He's been pretty open about desperately wanting to get back into the mainstream and become a big band again since the reunion.

Hell, even the tea house, in his case, might be something money-motivated. While other rich people might have their fun side-endeavours, Corgan strikes me as the kind of guy who does everything instrumentally instead of just because. He probably had illusions of that being a money-maker, too. The last thing that I remember him doing that seemed purely for enjoyment and not a vain attempt to propel himself to the top of get people to recognize his genius was Gothageddon, which I still maintain is the best work of the SP2 era.

Old 04-12-2022, 02:38 PM   #80
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
I don't think so, but as far as I remember, she mentioned doing some work for the Machina Reissue artwork, but Billy decide to go to a different direction. She's not doing that one either.

Old 04-12-2022, 02:40 PM   #81
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

fuck, you're telling me Linda Strawbs wasn't just some acid-induced hallucination some of us were having in the early to mid 2010s?

no, no i still am not going to buy that!

Old 04-12-2022, 02:49 PM   #82
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Linda Strawberry

more like Jill Sackofpears

Old 04-12-2022, 07:24 PM   #83
Rens
Pledge

Location: Jimmy left his creativity in the discarded needles from the overdose. Change my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nater-Tater-Tot View Post
New album is still being mixed, he just hasn't been updating the fans on it. B also enlisted a certain producer to come in to help "polish" the songs so that's why he's been quiet about it as of recent. That's all I know in that department.

The Machina reissue was completed after Christmas, and everything has been signed off on it but there were some issues with the artwork (big shocker) and it was essentially put on hold until he decided to announce one day that everything was complete. Originally he tried to get it released this summer, but that changed to February of next year instead assumingly to coincide with the original album release.

Neither of these projects have been shelved necessarily, they're just taking a long time to get released and as with anything B is trying to maximize all profits to fullest extent to keep his shitty tea shop and wrestling business padded with as much cash as possible.

Source: I was recently dismissed from the archive team because my "input was too negative".

All I've done is simply relay the very same concerns and frustrations that all of you have been since the Japan pre-order. Part of this job was to monitor social media and "keep our ears to the ground" on feedback.

Furnace is a great company, lovely people working there- but they sent out two separate batches of defective Japan albums that either skip like crazy on a few songs, or shipped with two "sideA/B" records.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if many of you have Japan pressings that you're keeping sealed as a collectors item and have no idea it's defective.

Initially I was pretty stoked to be a part of this, but it wasn't a "team" at all. B has assembled a random few people to vote on whatever he feels like pulling from the archives. The only feedback or ideas he or his wife are interested in are ones that make more profit.

This experience has made it quite hard to enjoy SP, and seeing how these releases are being treated as a cash grab for B's tea shop gets under my skin pretty bad.
You made my day sir! Thanks for your contribution and welcome!

Old 04-12-2022, 08:05 PM   #84
lionheart0
Demi-God

Next year for Machina holy shit.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:04 PM   #85
Ram27
dumb

and it doesn't even have the final metro show, or an arising show

because there's already too much audio on there. even though you can ADD A FUCKING EXTRA DISC BECAUSE IT'S 2022 YOU'RE NOT SHIPPING FUCKING EDISON CYLINDERS YOU FUCKING TWAT

Old 04-13-2022, 01:14 AM   #86
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

because there's already too much audio on there. even though you can ADD A FUCKING EXTRA DISC BECAUSE IT'S 2022 YOU'RE NOT SHIPPING FUCKING EDISON CYLINDERS YOU FUCKING TWAT
Can't believe i've been waiting 21 years for the final show to be released. hahhaha. At this point, it's actually the only thing I care to see at this point.

Old 04-13-2022, 03:35 AM   #87
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

Sure I remember at some point Bill said he wasn't happy with the Metro Performance / Recording.

Presumably not because of his stupid fucking dresses, and something to do with enunciating too many consonants or not enough vibrato.

Old 04-13-2022, 03:43 AM   #88
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Hahahaha

Old 04-13-2022, 09:41 AM   #89
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

The fact that Billy thought an outside producer was necessary speaks volume about the state of the music.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:52 AM   #90
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Prob a good thing if tip number one is turn the bastard vocals down