Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 05-24-2007, 11:22 PM   #151
spguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristHimself!

Building boats in the basement - Had a sorta dreary feel to it, but I liked it when the drums dropped out and the strings came in. When the drums came back I wanted it to REALLY build before cutting out, felt like it kinda fizzled out.
This song currently has a place in my mp3 library for sure. It sounds like what a band like Coldplay or Deathcab For Cutie are trying to be yet failing at. Great stuff here.
You really need to push that one to radio stations/tv shows here:
www.taxi.com
www.broadjam.com

More reviews coming asap. Probably by Sunday when i get time to really sit down and listen.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:27 PM   #152
MrPantyFAce
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RopeyLopey
maybe people could comment on already posted stuff before expecting to hear an opinion on theirs.
i concure. im too lazy to listen to anybodys stuff now though. dom's tiny explosive cd has some great stuff on it. war of the rose at times seems to have a bit of a pumpkins feel to it.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:34 AM   #153
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

lucky day spa, Building Boats in the Basement is an exceptional track.
stands above all the others you posted - and they're not bad too.
really beautiful melodies.
it kind of bugs me how you ended it though - when the drums drop and you go into the last section of the song, some production touches to build it up would have done wonders to the song i think.. it feels naked when it just screams to end on a big emotional note and instead it just continues acoustically and with the exact same vibe as the first verse...

Old 05-25-2007, 08:16 AM   #154
aurel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Fuck it, I'm stuck editing football audio of all things (my nightmare) so I can't listen to any mp3s right now.

aurel

Intention - Nice kinda grainy, distant string sounds.. thought it could have done with a bit more of a build up.

Tom Waits for no man - I liked this. I kinda wanted a different singer adding the harmony when at the chorus, not because I don't like your voice, just thought that a switch up the textures a bit would suit this. It was weird (but very complimentary) that you mentioned Draper when referring to my stuff, no one's ever said that before, but even if you hadn't said that, i'd have noticed that there were a couple of bits in the vocal melody in this song that reminded me of him <3 I like your voice.

Meditation on departure - I didn't get the transition at 1.25 .. I thought the first part could have been a little melancholy instrumental on it's own. Or maybe it would have even functioned better as an outro. I felt that the song from then on was a bit reminiscent of a toned down middle of the road chris cornell song :/

Yaphet Kotto smile - I wish this had more lush production. And you know what else? A double bass. And maybe drums when the lead kicks in. Good though.

+ I - Nice piano sound, I liked when the staccato strings came in. Like the vocal layering around 3.30. What are you using for your piano? is it a real piano? the chords through the song sound really nice but when the second piano organy track gets a bit twiddly around 4.25 that one doesn't sound so great. Liked the idea of the outro but it was a bit sloppy. Liked the first half of this a lot more than the second half.

Sigil - I don't know what to say about this one :/ It's quite a nice wee song but the singing style especially reminded me of craig's music, so I kept wanting to be more craigy, his songs are more kinda straight forwardly honest and with some tongue in cheek lyrics, and tend to have a more obvious evolution towards the end, so I couldn't help myself from wanting that. Maybe I'd like it more if it was full band and more layered.

Bakers Dozen - After the awesome clarinet I felt it got a bit droney and began to feel samey in comparison to other tracks.. liked the change around 1.45. Clarinet came back in and I liked it again.. Wasn't sure about the solo bit afterwards, and then it got a bit samey again. Liked from 4.25 out though. Very classic feel to the ending.

Django goes to college - Felt a bit like background music to me, nothing really stood out :/ when it got more intense and kinda freeform the high hat work made me want it to become a jcc song, but the drumming was too simple and the lead guitar was too basic sounding :/ it started sounding like it was getting more interesting about 5.18 and the drumming got well better for a bit, but then it just went back to how it was before.. don't think this was fluid or elegant enough to be as jazzy as it wanted to be.

Undone - I liked the chorus, the feel of the rest was a bit too similar to other songs on the album.

The language of whores and threes - I liked this one, felt that it could be quite powerful if I saw it performed live, although I don't like the title lyric. I wanted strings to come in from 3.50 to the end.

Evolution is evolving - hahaha, were you ripped out your tits when you did the randomly wailing track? Like your accent. I had to stop this half way through though.

Overall, I'd say i really like about half of it, and even the tracks I felt were very similar would grow on me, but I couldn't see me listening to the album as a whole again..I get what you mean about alone drunk and maudling, but I felt as though some of the acoustic tracks ended up feeling a bit overly samey, and i get put off from listening to albums in one sitting if there is a running similar feel.
Thanks alot for the feedback, very appreciated. The piano is a key board with lots of reverb that is recorded through a miked amp. This works out alot better than recording direct line in for me.

Evolution is evolving is the result of drinking a bottle of Jim Beam. I didn't even remember doing it but my friend set a mike infront of me and I just made up all the talking shit and then recorded the wailing over it straight after. Next time I was up drinking with him he handed it to me on cd.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #155
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj
I listened to the jeemer stuff now also for a second time. Do you like Jeff Buckley? Songwise I liked most of it too, except some of the more electronic things (when it gets too NIN). The boy with the cobwebs is my favourite.

Some songs could obviously use some production / better recording. What are your plans with this? ps are you gay? if so i hate all your music.
Cheers for listening man. Yeah I used to listen to a hell of a lot of Jeff. Also, when I first got into tracking (stuff like tribute song and shimbees [bonus track]) I was really into NIN, so that really shows there.

I was surprised no one mentioned boy with the cobwebs cause that seems more like the weirdy music people from here would like. That's my mate Mic singing on that, he was geekglasgow here years ago. I'm playing the weirdy recordy hissy violins, which I fucking adore the sound of. Also for people commenting on the lead guitar on Brian, why do you curse my heart? that's netphoria's very own Radiofred.

Yeah a lot of them are really old shitty recordings that have had their sound quality cut as much as 3 or 4 times over the years (reduced it to put on the site then lost the originals due to HD crashes) ... No I'm not gay, what gave you that impression? P.S. I want ur body

ropeylopey

Firstly umm I'm unfamiliar of what one was the cover. Anyway...

Jonathan whitehead - Like it. If it was produced a bit 'bigger' sounding it would be a good example of what i call travelling music... music that's great to zone out and listen to when you're sitting on a bus or train, or staring out at sea, or sitting at home with candles on. Wished it had been heavier at the end.

Milk in my snot - Again, the production really hurt this one. It was drowned out mostly by the speech. Was that Liz? The music was really faint - I loved the outro though! The violin was really nice, as was the sine wavey synth. Drums were cheap but well handled.

Pacific Coast - hahahahaha .. It took me a minute to realise what was being said I liked the music in this though, pretty much as jonathan whitehead - travelling music. The slight offset of every second snare hit reminded me of the gwai.

smashingjj

Splooshboock - Jerky, eccentric sounding, yet funky. Started feeling it was getting a bit repetitive around the 2 minute mark. 2:30 changed that though. It all got a bit crazy, but then went back to the original loop. I wished that after the crazy sound that tunes up that it would all change completely before the end. Weird last few seconds!

Drug Ghosts - I was worried this was getting pretty repetitive as well just before the one minute mark. Then it all started to go a bit nuts. I wasn't sure if I was really like it, improved when the bass came in at 01:22.

Hardcore - Right from the start of this it was my favourite so far. Atmospheric. Who is speaking on this? They have a perfect voice. Oh and singing. The chorus(?) is awesome. This reminds me of portishead/massive attack. oh it's all just gone nuts at around 3:15.. The chorus kicking back in after that is a relief almost after teh craziness. Favourite so far, easily.

Memory of a Happy Childhood - This is really nice. See what I wrote about travelling music up above. I was wary that it was going to start going KSSH KSSH KSSH KSSH GZGGZGZGTTTTT WEEEEEEEEOWOWWWWWW though. Could maybe have used drums maybe from around 2.45) The weirdness towards the end was good as well but I kinda wished it had started with the weirdness instead of ending with it.. Cool.

Xylometazoline - I like this better than this first couple of tracks. Like the wee guitar part. Started to get weirder and weirder though and then it kinda lost me until the end.

Intermezzo - Pretty cool this one, would be a good track to come on stage to, or open up with. Liked the sorta echoy strings on it.

Lazy Journalist - I liked how it went from the guitar playing it with that lofi sound to the bass playing it with the drummer and synth. Even though there were people speaking some weird language before that bit (watch ur back they might be gays) 4:15 things changed a bit, and for the better cause that bass riff was beginning to feel a bit repetitive. Yeah liking this. At about 7.45 when the distorted bass came in I wished it was HEAVY AS FUCK along with the drums. Very cool though all in all, if a bit long.

le deerstra - Wasn't too sure about this cause it had all the fucked up mental bits. I know some people love all that, it just gets a wee bit incoherent for me.

The Drooling Xylophone Retard, is a Psychic - half expected tom barman to start singing something in the background before the guitar came in. Aw this is groovy. Dunno about the weird low noises from 1:52. The guitar that comes in is cool though. From about 3:25 it started losing me though.

Overall with the first couple of tracks I just wish they evolved more.. I know how easy it is sometimes to get a loop you like, and get stuck into looping it and adding and taking away a few bits as it goes on. Hell I have an officially released Four Tet album where that's all he does through the whole album, but with yours I just kept wishing there would be a bit more evolution, cause it really would have made the difference to me between interesting songs and good songs. Loads of interesting ideas though, and it was well produced, and I liked most of the sounds and drums you used. You're also really good at getting the fucked up choppy random shit coming in, that's something I can't say I've experimented with myself. I like all your ideas in and away from the computer based stuff a lot though, would be cool to jam with you some time.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:03 AM   #156
deadaswarhol
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: and I just felt something when I saw her that day at Kroger

Quote:

deadaswarhol

I am confused - are you going for the TFE sound on purpose or is it only a temporary thing because you have no drummer right now?
I like your guitar playing, it makes me feel sentimental for my high school years. what happened to Sprinkles? I downloaded fucknstars, but the music going together with the video is so much better - I don't know, it reminds me of all the shit we were doing at that time - the song with video is doing a great job in bringing all these memories back - I personally think fucknstars >>>> TFE sound
I hope you get some drummer soon. But really - what happened to Sprinkles?

ha we had this sound before TFE came out. sprinkles broke up in like 2004 or something. we kinda have a drummer how, haven't really recorded anything with him yet, as he doesn't know our songs too well.

we're probably still gonna have electronic drums for some stuff(better than the drums we have on those mp3s) but mostly regular drums. thanks for listening everyone who did.

ps i totally forgot about this thread and will listen to everyone's stuff tonight.

Last edited by deadaswarhol : 05-25-2007 at 11:10 AM.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #157
deadaswarhol
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: and I just felt something when I saw her that day at Kroger

GOD DAMMIT i had reviews of all the stuff people posted and lost it.

favorites are Mayfuck, specialdeath, COG, MrPantyFace. some stuff by christhimself(boywithcobwebs). most of the other stuff i can't remember.

i think brendo's was kinda blah modern radio rock imo, and ??? had some cool stuff. luke de spa's stuff sounded pretty good for what it is, just not my stye of music really. cork_soaker, i liked "untitled" the best.

thanks again to everyone who listened to my stuff. we're working on finishing up lyrics and stuff and getting drums done. all the TFE comparisons are funny, cause we've sounded like this for a while. most of those songs were on myspace half a year before TFE even came out haha.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:56 AM   #158
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

canned kitty is really good

Old 05-27-2007, 03:00 PM   #159
???
Minion of Satan

bump. more music, more reviewing people!

Old 05-27-2007, 03:38 PM   #161
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Beside aurel, I am not gonna review anyone else till they say what they think of the stuff that got posted before them.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:53 PM   #162
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

this is the best recording done by man

hxxp://download.yousendit.com/AFAF958D358ABD4A

Old 05-27-2007, 04:02 PM   #163
monkeyfritters
Minion of Satan

my old band

www.myspace.com/portableshark

pulling the plug was recorded at a construction site. we were told to shut it down. portable shark was a very loud band.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:08 PM   #164
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

Quote:
Beside aurel, I am not gonna review anyone else till they say what they think of the stuff that got posted before them.
Yeah erm this.. especially since i tried to go into a shitload of detail

here's something i was messing around with yesterday and today, trying to get back into Reason;

http://www.paulietheboss.com/dls/theletterp.mp3

Old 05-27-2007, 04:14 PM   #165
monkeyfritters
Minion of Satan

where are you getting the string sounds from?

Old 05-27-2007, 04:14 PM   #166
monkeyfritters
Minion of Satan

also, have you messed around with audiomulch at all?

Old 05-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #167
monkeyfritters
Minion of Satan

oh wait you have me on ignore, nm. lol.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #168
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

i viewed your posts bwahahah

everything there is in reason 2.5 and ive never heard of audiomulch

Old 05-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #169
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

i will post some more thoughts later but it costs me a lot of time so hang on a bit

Old 05-27-2007, 04:19 PM   #170
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

im watching you, joeri

also in that last track the "i love you" and "mmm hmm hmm i dunno what to say" are badens ex

Old 05-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #171
Mayfuck
Banned

RopeyLopey i dont like your ebow sound yet you seem to use it on every one of your songs. i think its the recording. it makes it seem flimsy. i like ebows like in sigur ros where they're real reverby, thick and cascading. otherwise your songs are alright if you like mogwai and exlopsions in the sky. i just think that genre is a bit too easy to make these days bt i like how you get other netphorians involved despite your refuesal to ever collaborate with me

Old 05-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #172
monkeyfritters
Minion of Satan

Quote:
i viewed your posts bwahahah

everything there is in reason 2.5 and ive never heard of audiomulch
i think you'd dig audiomulch, especially if you ever plan on playing your music live. you can get you beat going and then use a laptop to fuck with the sounds and stuff, instead of having to actually patch cables around (and have tons of analog equipment). it's windows only however. also, the korg kaos pad is cool for that too, dunno if you have any desire to perform live though. cool stuff. you've got reason sounding pretty fluid. i generally stay away from it because i can't get it to stop sounding choppy. 2.5 must have a better sample library than the demo version i have.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:25 PM   #173
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

cheers man.. reason 3 is even better but i daren't run it on my lappy cause you get these combinator things and my pc even struggles with them

i'll have to check that audiomulch thing out, i was wanting to have a look at stuff i could use to affect my shit in real time

i really need to take a week off some time and write music properly.. it's half way through the year, i have no holidays booked and im still owed over a month's worth of holiday time

Old 05-27-2007, 04:25 PM   #174
monkeyfritters
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfuck
RopeyLopey i dont like your ebow sound yet you seem to use it on every one of your songs. i think its the recording. it makes it seem flimsy. i like ebows like in sigur ros where they're real reverby, thick and cascading. otherwise your songs are alright if you like mogwai and exlopsions in the sky. i just think that genre is a bit too easy to make these days bt i like how you get other netphorians involved despite your refuesal to ever collaborate with me
i dont know what pickup you are using but ive found that the ebow sucks on any pickup other than the neck. it gets a fatter sound.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:29 PM   #175
monkeyfritters
Minion of Satan

Quote:
cheers man.. reason 3 is even better but i daren't run it on my lappy cause you get these combinator things and my pc even struggles with them

i'll have to check that audiomulch thing out, i was wanting to have a look at stuff i could use to affect my shit in real time

i really need to take a week off some time and write music properly.. it's half way through the year, i have no holidays booked and im still owed over a month's worth of holiday time
if you use windows then audiomulch is the way to go. if you are on a mac, then you can get some sharware programs for max/msp (the language audiomulch uses, way better than midi) however these are way more difficult. my friend uses reason in real time but it can sound really canned. the kaos pad is awesome because it's hands on and can generate tones as well. i'm pretty sure j greenwood ran his guitar through a max/msp setup on the httf/lp7 tour, pretty impressive.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #176
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfuck
no, it's not the recording, it is my laziness. The tone is way better if I play around a bit with Line6 settings, but usually I don't bother with that and get it all down there as it is, so I don't forget the e-bow stuff. I know I could get better, if I paid more attention. And yes, the songs are easy, but I know my limits - I don't practice everyday, so I have to play/pick up songs I CAN play. That's also the reason I use e-bow so much - technically it's very easy and fills the space in the songs quite well.

I downloaded your files way back, I make a post today. thanks. I made about 4 songs with you, you have just never heard them.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #177
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

im pc/win all the way

julio you know i heard all your shit way back and commented on it then i believe, fucking intense stuff .. just out of interest how do you (or you joeri) get all your shit choppy as fuck?

Old 05-27-2007, 09:20 PM   #178
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Julio - the cannedmelody is a mixed bag for me. I don't know how advanced are these sketches - there are great things and motifs that would make for an awesome sequel for canned, and there are other sequences that don't do anything to me. I will only mention the 'good' ones - the ones I don't mention I consider an utter chaos shit

1:16-1:20 - this short bit is nice. It sounds like another of your 'guitar' moments.
1:59-2:22 - awesome motif, I enjoy this very much!
3:11-3:32 - this sounds so nice. This would be a great music for some children TV story.
3:40-4:15 - great vintage Julio material, this sounds as the most promising one to me from the whole bunch

Old 05-28-2007, 08:33 PM   #179
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Thumbs up

Quote:
smashingjj

Splooshboock - Jerky, eccentric sounding, yet funky. Started feeling it was getting a bit repetitive around the 2 minute mark. 2:30 changed that though. It all got a bit crazy, but then went back to the original loop. I wished that after the crazy sound that tunes up that it would all change completely before the end. Weird last few seconds!

Drug Ghosts - I was worried this was getting pretty repetitive as well just before the one minute mark. Then it all started to go a bit nuts. I wasn't sure if I was really like it, improved when the bass came in at 01:22.

Hardcore - Right from the start of this it was my favourite so far. Atmospheric. Who is speaking on this? They have a perfect voice. Oh and singing. The chorus(?) is awesome. This reminds me of portishead/massive attack. oh it's all just gone nuts at around 3:15.. The chorus kicking back in after that is a relief almost after teh craziness. Favourite so far, easily.

Memory of a Happy Childhood - This is really nice. See what I wrote about travelling music up above. I was wary that it was going to start going KSSH KSSH KSSH KSSH GZGGZGZGTTTTT WEEEEEEEEOWOWWWWWW though. Could maybe have used drums maybe from around 2.45) The weirdness towards the end was good as well but I kinda wished it had started with the weirdness instead of ending with it.. Cool.

Xylometazoline - I like this better than this first couple of tracks. Like the wee guitar part. Started to get weirder and weirder though and then it kinda lost me until the end.

Intermezzo - Pretty cool this one, would be a good track to come on stage to, or open up with. Liked the sorta echoy strings on it.

Lazy Journalist - I liked how it went from the guitar playing it with that lofi sound to the bass playing it with the drummer and synth. Even though there were people speaking some weird language before that bit (watch ur back they might be gays) 4:15 things changed a bit, and for the better cause that bass riff was beginning to feel a bit repetitive. Yeah liking this. At about 7.45 when the distorted bass came in I wished it was HEAVY AS FUCK along with the drums. Very cool though all in all, if a bit long.

le deerstra - Wasn't too sure about this cause it had all the fucked up mental bits. I know some people love all that, it just gets a wee bit incoherent for me.

The Drooling Xylophone Retard, is a Psychic - half expected tom barman to start singing something in the background before the guitar came in. Aw this is groovy. Dunno about the weird low noises from 1:52. The guitar that comes in is cool though. From about 3:25 it started losing me though.

Overall with the first couple of tracks I just wish they evolved more.. I know how easy it is sometimes to get a loop you like, and get stuck into looping it and adding and taking away a few bits as it goes on. Hell I have an officially released Four Tet album where that's all he does through the whole album, but with yours I just kept wishing there would be a bit more evolution, cause it really would have made the difference to me between interesting songs and good songs. Loads of interesting ideas though, and it was well produced, and I liked most of the sounds and drums you used. You're also really good at getting the fucked up choppy random shit coming in, that's something I can't say I've experimented with myself. I like all your ideas in and away from the computer based stuff a lot though, would be cool to jam with you some time.
Thanks man, this was fucking elaborate, moreso than i deserved. I'm not sure if I agree with the parts about too little evolution (especially if Four Tet does the same - which cd is that?) but more people told me this and I take your advice to heart as I'm making a new song.

Heh the vocals in Hardcore were done by a friend, i'll show her your post because i think she wasn't really satisfied with that song.

You know one of my main problems is that i could never do this live. Not the electronic stuff but also not the more rocking stuff - i can hardly play the guitar, I use cooledit to make it sound like i played the whole song at once (80th floor is an example of that - i put a link on the first page). It would be great to do something together though, if there's ever a song part, a riff or whatever you don't use, maybe send it to me so i will take all the credit for it? sounds like a good deal??

Old 05-28-2007, 09:18 PM   #180
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

finally got around to listening to deer canada: really enjoying this. this is Jan on guitar and who's in the band apart from that?

I like the lo-fi aspect of it. At first I thought that it's something you gotta lose if you're going to record more stuff but it took me a song or two to realise that it's actually adding to the charm. in a song like Jonathan Whitehead, when it gets to the heavy part - that's awesome. reminded me of the heavy neutral milk hotel fuzz sound.

I would label this as post rock like people said before, which is kind of a dead / unevolving genre to me, but for post rock this is pretty original, mostly because of the lo fi sound. i also love the weird kind of breaks like at the end of milk in my snot - listen to akron/family a lot?

it could use somewhat more of a melody here and there or something that would make it really stick if you're going to record something seriously, but for what they are, i enjoyed these songs a lot.