Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2022, 11:50 AM   #31
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Jesus Cambodia = James Cordene

Old 05-13-2022, 12:00 PM   #32
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

It's so nice to see him out of those stupid dress/tunic things and that ridiculous makeup. He actually looks normal here.

I'm also getting worried about how much he's hyping this "triple album sequel to MCIS & M/TMOG" — setting the expectations VERY HIGH.

Old 05-13-2022, 12:25 PM   #33
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

He says with a big smile that he wrote the song when he was really depressed, and that he knew he was gonna see Corden, so he decided to play it. Clear implication: haha, seeing you makes me depressed, ya big lug. I think Billy's an asshole a lot of the time, but I genuinely don't see this as one of those times. Not the funniest joke, not told very well, but a very clear "trying to be a funny guest with an obviously joking put-down" moment all the same.

Or maybe it really does make him sad to see Corden, who is very well-known as an absolute monster offstage, in which case I must also give Billy a big pass here.

Old 05-13-2022, 12:40 PM   #34
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
What's that sticker on Billy's guitar?

Old 05-13-2022, 12:46 PM   #35
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Question

It looks like a Pisces-esque thing with two figures; I'm kind of seeing a red face in profile on each? And like a purple... shirt? Saddle?

Old 05-13-2022, 03:52 PM   #36
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

Jimmy is a fucking national treasure and makes everything 1000x better, he is a national treasure and should be protected at all costs. I mean all.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:08 PM   #37
vajohna
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Television audio has come a long way. Can actually hear everything and it doesn’t sound like a muddy and somehow still tin-y mess

Old 05-13-2022, 08:29 PM   #38
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
I find myself actually enjoying these live shows now. Actually listening through and feeling the songs end too soon. Actually enjoying how the arrangements are tastefully divided between the guitarists. What is happening?
Same here. Seems to me they’ve been working on becoming a band again, somehow, against all odds

Old 05-14-2022, 01:02 AM   #39
D.
Consume my pants.

Jack has a Larry David sticker on his guitar lmao

Old 05-14-2022, 02:34 AM   #40
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

It looks like a Street Shark

https://www.alittlebithuman.com/stre...-forgot-about/

Old 05-14-2022, 02:36 AM   #41
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

That interview was painful because of Corden, not Billy. Lord all Corden’s interviews are just fluff.

I’m sure there will be a lot of this type of stuff in the next couple weeks. Gotta push early tickets.

Old 05-14-2022, 03:13 AM   #42
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairun View Post
I don't mind Jeff here, and as far as I can tell, James is still playing most (all?) leads he used to play live. Today has always had a simplified arranged live due to the lack of a 3rd guitar player.

Actually thought this was very well-performed, it sounded "great", it just felt a bit like a museum. It's like "let's remember a smashing pumpkins show..." instead of "let's experience a smashing pumpkins show". The pumpkins back then were never this precise, they never kept to the slower tempo, they had a much more eager energy around them, etc.
this is a great post and observations.

the whole point of a rock show imo is serendipity. push the tempo, try a crazy fill and fuck it up, etc etc

i know they're all good enough musicians [corgan's vocal cords aside] to recreate the recording perfectly. that shouldn't be the goal

Old 05-14-2022, 04:01 AM   #43
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
the whole point of a rock show imo is serendipity. push the tempo, try a crazy fill and fuck it up, etc etc
i know they're all good enough musicians
Sir, I beg to differ (btw i think you missed the 2nd part of Raigun's comment)

Jeff's guitar sound is getting shittier by the hour, especially since getting that gargantuan endorsement from Yamaha/Line 6, and that 80s shredder persona he's trying to pull off these days (prolly another Yamaha PR stunt)

Old 05-14-2022, 09:24 AM   #44
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
It looks like a Street Shark
How totally jawesome would that be, dang

I imagine if he lets his kids watch cartoons at all, it's strictly stuff from the '30s, but maybe he himself caught it on tour back when it was on

Old 05-14-2022, 09:26 AM   #45
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairun View Post
I don't mind Jeff here, and as far as I can tell, James is still playing most (all?) leads he used to play live. Today has always had a simplified arranged live due to the lack of a 3rd guitar player.

Actually thought this was very well-performed, it sounded "great", it just felt a bit like a museum. It's like "let's remember a smashing pumpkins show..." instead of "let's experience a smashing pumpkins show". The pumpkins back then were never this precise, they never kept to the slower tempo, they had a much more eager energy around them, etc.
Eager energy…they were friekin kids. Would it be fun let alone endearing to see these old men faking some kind of hunger?

Imo this is like the most tasteful version you can get of a classic act: recreate the sound most of the audience will be expecting for the radio hits, stretch and jam on the deeper cuts, wear a dress, do a couple weird jumps in your Alice cooper boots

Old 05-14-2022, 01:26 PM   #46
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2pee View Post
Eager energy…they were friekin kids. Would it be fun let alone endearing to see these old men faking some kind of hunger?

Imo this is like the most tasteful version you can get of a classic act: recreate the sound most of the audience will be expecting for the radio hits, stretch and jam on the deeper cuts, wear a dress, do a couple weird jumps in your Alice cooper boots
I wasn't complaining. A museum has its place, and I did think it was a good, respectful tribute to their past. I watched that video more than once, lol

I think the only band reunion that has ever felt like the real thing to me was Neutral Milk Hotel back in 2014. I was expecting to hear the songs I loved played by an older, distant version of the people who wrote them, but the shows were so heartfelt. Obviously you can't fake that, but it's incredible when you don't need to fake it. And if you're not feeling it, I agree this performance of Today is the way to go.

I don't think Billy was wrong when he refused to be "stuck in the past". Play the old songs that feel relevant (they have so many, surely some still strike a chord), add a couple of appreciative tributes to the hits, and then just play the new stuff you're excited about. My main criticism of the band in the past 15 years has been that the new stuff is not very good, and at times even Billy seems to find it hard to be enthusiastic about it.

Old 05-14-2022, 05:12 PM   #47
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post

Old 05-14-2022, 07:31 PM   #48
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Exclamation

You really should have changed it on the little version as well, but I understand if you were in a hurry

Old 05-14-2022, 08:23 PM   #49
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

TA-DAYYY ES DUH RATEST EYYY IVE EVER OWN
ANT ATE OR OOHMORROW I MIGH NOH AVE DAH LONN

Old 05-14-2022, 09:22 PM   #50
russticles
Demi-God

Corden is fucking insufferable. Also his audience (being prompted to) clapping and cheering during the song, cringe. Shut up.

I do like how Jimmy's entire kit is setup for this performance to play this song that doesn't require him to use barely of it. Also looks like his array of cymbals has gotten larger since the last tour, nice to see.

Old 05-14-2022, 09:49 PM   #51
Ram27
dumb

i always wonder about that. must be annoying as hell for the crew

i know they did 1979 on some awards show and he just had snare/kick/HH/1 crash

Old 05-14-2022, 10:26 PM   #52
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
Street Sharks

Old 05-15-2022, 04:00 AM   #53
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
i always wonder about that. must be annoying as hell for the crew

i know they did 1979 on some awards show and he just had snare/kick/HH/1 crash
It's easier to set everything up the same way each time, rather than trying to do a different set up for specific events / songs. So if there's cymbals / drums / pedals etc not being used, then so be it.

You see that a lot on TV shows, there'll be a second guitar on a stand because there's always a second guitar on a stand.

Old 05-15-2022, 05:56 AM   #54
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by russticles View Post
I do like how Jimmy's entire kit is setup for this performance to play this song that doesn't require him to use barely of it. Also looks like his array of cymbals has gotten larger since the last tour, nice to see.
I thought the same thing.

He looks like an absolute fucking tool with that gigantic Mike Portnoy kit. Playing Today. Fucking lol. The pumpkins also recently hosted Michael Angelo batio onstage. Is any of this real? Is this the part of the realistic dream where it suddenly goes haywire and then we all wake up?

I'm also getting strong vibes like he got his management to ask for tv closeups while playing, and to be addressed specifically during band interviews.

I must say, that flexy drumset, along with that recent pic of him standing awfully puffy chested next to a Porsche, kind of sum up well what I've come to strongly dislike about him in recent years.

People routinely rip on Corgan, but nobody ever mentions what a huge douche JC's evolved into. People forgot "burn the lies off the souls" is a jimmy quote! Up to 2000 he used to have this beautiful diamond in the rough quality about him, an extremely shy and humble personality, who's completely comfortable being in the background, but really excelling gloriously at that. That's also what made him such a phenomenal player, that it never seemed like he was forcing his prowess on the music, it's just what came naturally.

Ppl may say I'm tripping or hatin' or whatever, but Zeitgeist was a turning point for him in that he first assumed the role of a co-bandleader and started demanding star billing status, a Ulrich/Hetfield-esque figure. Someone now responsible for steering the core vision of the band. Two more hands on the wheel, fighting for the reigns. His ego became huge.

With his company being very successful\profitable, and SP becoming this source of revenue, and the way he's been playing (may be technically good as ever, he's a fantastic musician - but it's clear his heart is not in it), I can't help but feel that it's all become The Jimmy Chamberlin show to him, a rags to riches success story, phoenix from the ashes, etc.

That alone normally wouldn't bother me at all, it's pretty textbook rockstar behavior, but the way he'd been flaunting this sort of enlightened and woke+blessed vibe, while never really having acknowledged his responsibility for the death of a person who would not be dead if not for him, rubs me the wrong way.

Afaik he never talked publicly about it, never dealt with any of it, never offered any insight or apology for the consequences of his actions, all despite making a very conscious effort to increase his visibility nonetheless. Love his musicianship, but I can't respect that.

Old 05-15-2022, 11:18 AM   #55
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
You really should have changed it on the little version as well, but I understand if you were in a hurry
some folks... they just don't fully appreciate the craft!

Old 05-15-2022, 02:17 PM   #56
Ram27
dumb

lol i agree with some of this. he seems a bit pompous lately - hippy stuff, stage demeanor, slow tempo so he can do arcane fills, etc

but during MCIS he had a similar size kit too. and he has mentioned the Melvoin thing in a few interviews - bit awkward to bring up

very much doubt he asked to be cut to on TV

Old 05-15-2022, 03:09 PM   #57
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Counterpoint: Jimmy is cool

Old 05-15-2022, 03:27 PM   #58
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
I thought the same thing.

He looks like an absolute fucking tool with that gigantic Mike Portnoy kit. Playing Today. Fucking lol. The pumpkins also recently hosted Michael Angelo batio onstage. Is any of this real? Is this the part of the realistic dream where it suddenly goes haywire and then we all wake up?

I'm also getting strong vibes like he got his management to ask for tv closeups while playing, and to be addressed specifically during band interviews.

I must say, that flexy drumset, along with that recent pic of him standing awfully puffy chested next to a Porsche, kind of sum up well what I've come to strongly dislike about him in recent years.

People routinely rip on Corgan, but nobody ever mentions what a huge douche JC's evolved into. People forgot "burn the lies off the souls" is a jimmy quote! Up to 2000 he used to have this beautiful diamond in the rough quality about him, an extremely shy and humble personality, who's completely comfortable being in the background, but really excelling gloriously at that. That's also what made him such a phenomenal player, that it never seemed like he was forcing his prowess on the music, it's just what came naturally.

Ppl may say I'm tripping or hatin' or whatever, but Zeitgeist was a turning point for him in that he first assumed the role of a co-bandleader and started demanding star billing status, a Ulrich/Hetfield-esque figure. Someone now responsible for steering the core vision of the band. Two more hands on the wheel, fighting for the reigns. His ego became huge.

With his company being very successful\profitable, and SP becoming this source of revenue, and the way he's been playing (may be technically good as ever, he's a fantastic musician - but it's clear his heart is not in it), I can't help but feel that it's all become The Jimmy Chamberlin show to him, a rags to riches success story, phoenix from the ashes, etc.

That alone normally wouldn't bother me at all, it's pretty textbook rockstar behavior, but the way he'd been flaunting this sort of enlightened and woke+blessed vibe, while never really having acknowledged his responsibility for the death of a person who would not be dead if not for him, rubs me the wrong way.

Afaik he never talked publicly about it, never dealt with any of it, never offered any insight or apology for the consequences of his actions, all despite making a very conscious effort to increase his visibility nonetheless. Love his musicianship, but I can't respect that.
He's brought the Melvoin incident a few times over the years in various interviews. Like someone else said, I'm sure it's a tough topic to broach. I specifically remember some interview during the 20th Anniversary Tour (wanna say the Chris Isaak interview, but not positive), he said something along the lines of "of course it was upsetting, but everything is part of God's plan." I remember thinking that despite his heart being in the right place with that statement, it did seem a little cavalier when it involved the death of a bandmate.

People have pointed out through the years that Jimmy, in many ways, is just as kooky with his weird spiritual beliefs/conspiracy theories and just as opportunistic and crass as Billy when it comes to money and exploiting the band's name. The difference is just that , unlike Billy, Jimmy does not seem to possess a compulsion to scream his thoughts to anyone that will put a microphone in his face, so by comparison to Corgan he seems like the person with complete integrity. I'd actually say that when it comes to "we're building a brand" type statements, Jimmy has been the worst offender. I think because of his relative quietness, people assume he's in it more "for the music," but various "in the know" type people have told me that two big factors for him leaving in 2009 were: (i) Billy refusing to let him have songwriting credit on songs like "United States" or "Superchrist" where his drumming essentially carried the song (even if he did not write the song in the literal sense of the word) and (ii) was pissed that Corgan went out of his way on the 20th Anniversary shows to play alienating shows that seemed to be made to grab bad headlines; apparently Jimmy was interested in (at least when they played bigger venues) doing a "greatest hits" type approach. The point being, monetary concerns do play a large part in his decisions.

One other distinction I would make for Jimmy, that does seem to differentiate him from Billy, is that I've never heard of a fan encounter where Jimmy was anything other than polite and welcoming; again, unlike Corgan who can be cranky and sour in fan encounters.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:11 PM   #59
D.
Consume my pants.

Maybe it's because i haven't read many SP interviews lately but when did Jimmy start talking, enough for us to know anything about his spiritual beliefs? He's a conspiracy theorist, what?

Old 05-15-2022, 04:12 PM   #60
D.
Consume my pants.

And what exactly is Jimmy supposed to do, cry about Melvoin in every interview for 25+ years? Would that be enough repentance for you guys?

Fucking weirdos