Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 12-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
starladear
Pledge

Default if you could attend one concert in the past....

I think this might be the one for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJCsX...eature=related

or one of the Double Door shows

Old 12-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
samuel redman
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: You're 22 why aren't you free?You're 22 why aren't you free? you're mom and daddy's victory

all from 1987-1992

Old 12-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
samuel redman
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: You're 22 why aren't you free?You're 22 why aren't you free? you're mom and daddy's victory

fuck it, none of them

Old 12-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
The Omega Concern
Banned

4-24-99 The Roxy.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post
4-24-99 The Roxy.
Best troll ever.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
ilikeplanets
Braindead

This one! Love the dresses and I'm getting a buzz just looking at them

Old 12-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
originally posted by Rider:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern

4-24-99 The Roxy.

-------------------------

Best troll ever.

well, i was there. front row, right in front of Darcy. two vivid images: the bassist from QOTSA spitting fire and blinding me and everyone around me as that shit sprayed out of his mouth; and D'arcy falling on her drunk ass while the guys just had to roll with it...this being the night after she walked off stage in san diego. 4-24-99, the last show of the original line-up.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:20 AM   #8
Skradgee
Boardcaster

maybe something from 1996-07-10 or earlier that didn't get taped

Old 12-29-2010, 02:46 AM   #9
paranoid
Minion of Satan

any of the double doors. coming off of extensive SD touring, going into writing and recording MCIS, that was the band hitting their absolute peak.

omega, what led darcy to walk off stage in san diego? and more details on her fall? what song? how'd it all go down?

darcy's decent into madness is fascinating to me, but something that's hardly talked about. we speak more about billy's decent into madness.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
june_soma
Whore of Saul Goodman

I would love to go back to the one I was at in Oslo of 96. I had such an awesome time.

Also I miss the 90'ties and am living in the past.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:31 PM   #11
Mo
Immortal

Thumbs up

1996-02-06, San Francisco

Old 12-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #12
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
originally posted by paraniod:

omega, what led darcy to walk off stage in san diego? and more details on her fall? what song? how'd it all go down?

darcy's decent into madness is fascinating to me, but something that's hardly talked about. we speak more about billy's decent into madness.

I was at the last two shows of the Arising Tour. Spreckels in SD on 4-23. The Roxy on 4-24.

Towards the end of the show in S.D. Billy and Darcy got into some exchange on stage and it looked as if Billy was telling her how to keep proper time and she was having none of it. I recall D'arcy lifting her head in disgust and walking off stage for the rest of the song ( I can't remember which one).

For a full song just about, the Pumpkins were a 3-piece with Jimmy, James and Billy finishing up. She did come back to finish the set but the mojo had been established. Everyone at the show was abuzz about the circumstance and this was after Darcy sounding off on Billy in Pittsburgh during the Arising tour. So the air was kinda thick that something was amiss by the end of this show.

The Roxy:

I think it was the 2nd or 3rd song in, or maybe it was the 1st song (I Am One) but she just fell on her ass and looked up and laughed like a complete drunkard. Not pretty. The look on Billy's face was embarrassed shock. She got up and finished the set to one of the most amazing shows ever, quite frankly. The energy was off the charts and with Jimmy back in full swing, the Arising touch to the new Machina songs simply outstanding, it looked for all the world the Pumpkins were back and ready to reassert themselves to the top.

oooooooooooooh welllllllllllllllllllll...

it was a millennia ago after all...

Old 12-29-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
Shallowed
Braindead

I wouldn't really care. Any one of them. I'd throw a dart at SPFC's list of SP shows and go to that one.

But speaking more realistically, I guess when they came to NZ in 94 and/or 96. I'd have been three and five years old, respectively.

On a bit more of a fantasy level, It would be cool to see any one of the shows from 88-90, when they had meager audiences and I could be all buddy-buddy with the band. I had a dream like that once, where after the show, Billy and I had drinks back at his place and had a jam, and he gave me a bunch of his demo tapes.

Last edited by Shallowed : 12-29-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #14
samuel redman
Apocalyptic Poster

honestly id like to see some of the 2008 shows again

Old 12-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #15
Monet LSD
Ownz

Location: ...Talk about dedication, going all the way to the down under to read a rolling stones.

Quote:
I recall D'arcy lifting her head in disgust and walking off stage for the rest of the song ( I can't remember which one).

For a full song just about, the Pumpkins were a 3-piece with Jimmy, James and Billy finishing up.
http://www.archive.org/details/tsp1999-04-23.mk4.flac16

Interesting. Should be able to tell which song it was on the recording...whichever song has no bass.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #16
iPumpkin
Ownz

any of the MCIS pajamas tour.

EDIT: also Jimmy's 1st show back in Detroit 1999

Old 12-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #17
aldango
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel redman View Post
honestly id like to see some of the 2008 shows again
I'm glad you said this, because I thought the late 08 shows were absolutely incredible

Early 96 shows for me, definitely - small venues, 3 hour sets, fantastic

Old 12-29-2010, 10:23 PM   #18
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monet LSD
http://www.archive.org/details/tsp1999-04-23.mk4.flac16

Interesting. Should be able to tell which song it was on the recording...whichever song has no bass.
I just listened to the last half of this show, and all songs have bass. someone else want to give it a shot? I'm listening for the D'arcy fall on the 4/24/99 show right now.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:19 AM   #19
The Omega Concern
Banned

wow. you guys still obsess to this extent? alrighty then...

It's entirely possible she kept playing bass while she was off-stage...all I can say, as anyone who was at Spreckels can attest to, her and Billy got into a discussion/squabble on stage and she walked off for an entire song.

She fell on her ass at the Roxy early in the set...no later than the 3rd song. I have no idea how the hell you're gonna listen for that, but good luck.

holy crap I'm checking this archive.org thing out now...damn, Im a little verklempt. The band was really never more on top of their game emotionally and musically than that Arising Tour.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:28 AM   #20
Monet LSD
Ownz

Location: ...Talk about dedication, going all the way to the down under to read a rolling stones.

Quote:
She fell on her ass at the Roxy early in the set...no later than the 3rd song. I have no idea how the hell you're gonna listen for that, but good luck.
Haha. I'd imagine you'd be able to hear comments or uproar from the crowd, on the recording. Surely it got some sort of reaction.

Quote:
holy crap I'm checking this archive.org thing out now...damn, Im a little verklempt. The band was really never more on top of their game emotionally and musically than that Arising Tour.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:29 AM   #21
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

i'd probably pick one of radiohead's glastonbury performances

here's the 2003 one

pretty good

Old 12-30-2010, 01:38 AM   #22
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

any of the early double set MCIS shows, maybe the 9:30 club ones in 1996, or the pheonix (toronto).. brixton.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:23 AM   #23
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

I'd go for any show between 1989 and 1992. But maybe more towards the 1992 end of things. For one thing, the band was in that time period where the shows were maxing out in size at the larger club venues without yet moving to that sort of mass-production depersonalization of the "big box" venue experience. What I've found is that these type of shows generally have the most amazing energy from the crowd, because of the buzz that is being generated about the band and the fact that the crowds at this point are neither just curious bar-goers whose attention to the music may be secondary to their boozing activities nor merely the kind of bandwagon tag-alongs who end up going to the arena shows just to hear that one popular single they heard on the radio. For another thing, the 92 setlists are just badass and you got to hear Gish songs mixed in with more rarely played shit like Frail and Bedazzled.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #24
aomb1979
Ownz

Anything from 1991/1992
04.10.99 (This above all else probably)

Old 12-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #25
redbull
Immortal

I would go for 92

probably the fruit bat salad shows or the metropolis fest show that video was posted of or that Nashville show where someone steals darcy's equipment off the stage

Old 12-31-2010, 12:10 AM   #26
null123
Minion of Satan

any show circa 1995. I feel if I could have reached Billy, "A Christmas Carol" style, at this vulnerable point in his life, things could have turned out differently.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #27
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

This:
Cascais bullfight arena, Portugal
May 2 1996

I didnt even know SP at time, but people I know who was there says it was storming as shit and It was something kinda magical!!

A Billy loved it also, see:

Old 01-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #28
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad View Post
any of the early double set MCIS shows, maybe the 9:30 club ones in 1996, or the pheonix (toronto).. brixton.
Uiiiiii!! Very nice pick!!!!

Old 01-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #29
JustAGhostChild
Pledge

Hm,probably either '91 or '94.Most of the shows in '91 had pretty short setlists from what I've seen,but I'm a sucker for live covers and a chance to catch a rarity or B-side.As for '94,less surprises but definately a strong show and the band has a certain energy that I love.

Hm,a '99 would be badass too(even though I'm definately not a fan of Machina or Adore) cause it offered new takes on older songs as well as newer ones I wasn't too fond of with a harsher and sharper sound as oposed to their earlier bigger and "psychedilic heavy" if you will,sound.The little shoegaze element gave way to a little industrial element

Old 01-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #30
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
wow. you guys still obsess to this extent? alrighty then...

It's entirely possible she kept playing bass while she was off-stage...all I can say, as anyone who was at Spreckels can attest to, her and Billy got into a discussion/squabble on stage and she walked off for an entire song.

I was at the Roxy show. Actually, I was the first person in line, and stood front-row center. I actually don't recall D'arcy falling during any point of the show.

The only thing I saw from D'arcy that was odd at the time was her leaving the club drunk and flipping off the people waiting outside. Aside from that, she seemed to be pretty rocking that night.

In case you care.