Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2007, 11:43 PM   #1
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster
 
bja1288's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,206
Default Kevin Cadogan as Guitarist

THe guitarist from Third Eye Blind (involved in the S/T and Blue) was asked in an interview if he'd join up with the Smashing Pumpkins, and he said of course. What would be your thoughts on this other than the obvious wishes that you could have Iha back? I think itd be awesome, but thats only cuz they are my 2 fav bands....

 
bja1288 is offline
Old 01-23-2007, 11:45 PM   #2
gisher
Pledge
 
gisher's Avatar
 
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 141
Default

Third Eye Blind is/was DOGSHIT. Having their loser guitarist in the Pumpkins would be terrible.

 
gisher is offline
Old 01-23-2007, 11:47 PM   #3
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster
 
bja1288's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,206
Default

did u listen to anything other than the singles?

 
bja1288 is offline
Old 01-23-2007, 11:53 PM   #4
TheMilstead
Minion of Satan
 
TheMilstead's Avatar
 
Location: Damn fine cup of coffee.
Posts: 5,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja1288
did u listen to anything other than the singles?
I know a lot of people hate 3EB, but he kinda has a point here. While I can't stand the rest of the band members (especially Stephen Jenkins and the new guitarist), I always thought Kevin Cadogan was pretty cool. And the other songs were much better than the singles on the first two albums.

 
TheMilstead is offline
Old 01-23-2007, 11:58 PM   #5
gisher
Pledge
 
gisher's Avatar
 
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMilstead
I know a lot of people hate 3EB, but he kinda has a point here.
Well, the point is lost on me then. I could name dozens of other guitarists that I'd prefer to see in the Pumpkins (if Iha is a no-go, as expected).

 
gisher is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 12:33 AM   #6
benjamin619
Apocalyptic Poster
 
benjamin619's Avatar
 
Location: West Coast
Posts: 4,290
Default

that guy writes monsterous riffs. i bet if he was in the album would be great.

 
benjamin619 is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 12:38 AM   #7
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster
 
bja1288's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,206
Default

anyone who doesnt like third eye blind needs to at least listen to Wounded before they make a decision.

 
bja1288 is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 12:46 AM   #8
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan
 
BlissedandGone2's Avatar
 
Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.
Posts: 5,876
Default

ehhhhhhh that could go either way. obviously whoever's playing is going to be bossed around by billy anyways. right? my guess is they'll fill the spot with someone low-to-no profile. theres no outstaging billy, but i doubt theyd even let someone get the chance to try. if billys writing the parts, the odds are good he's going to know exactly what he wants the other guitarist and even the bassist to play, so they dont even need a guitarist with personality in the way they play. it would almost do more good if the guitarist looked really cool and played mediocre. you saw the problems that came up with billy, matt and david playing together. they both contributed greatly, but they also were overshadowed and didn't ever play to their full potential, (in my opinion).

 
BlissedandGone2 is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 12:49 AM   #9
Katy Lied
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Katy Lied's Avatar
 
Location: in john mayer's pants
Posts: 3,088
Default










 
Katy Lied is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 12:54 AM   #10
TheMilstead
Minion of Satan
 
TheMilstead's Avatar
 
Location: Damn fine cup of coffee.
Posts: 5,520
Default

Aw, your fifth row guy doesn't have a buddy.

 
TheMilstead is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 12:57 AM   #11
TheMilstead
Minion of Satan
 
TheMilstead's Avatar
 
Location: Damn fine cup of coffee.
Posts: 5,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissedandGone2
ehhhhhhh that could go either way. obviously whoever's playing is going to be bossed around by billy anyways. right? my guess is they'll fill the spot with someone low-to-no profile. theres no outstaging billy, but i doubt theyd even let someone get the chance to try. if billys writing the parts, the odds are good he's going to know exactly what he wants the other guitarist and even the bassist to play, so they dont even need a guitarist with personality in the way they play. it would almost do more good if the guitarist looked really cool and played mediocre. you saw the problems that came up with billy, matt and david playing together. they both contributed greatly, but they also were overshadowed and didn't ever play to their full potential, (in my opinion).
Whatever. Billy finally let his band have input during MCIS and look how that album turned out. And don't tell me that's your least favorite album. I don't think Corgan cares that much about his image.

 
TheMilstead is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 01:05 AM   #12
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan
 
BlissedandGone2's Avatar
 
Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.
Posts: 5,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMilstead
Whatever. Billy finally let his band have input during MCIS and look how that album turned out. And don't tell me that's your least favorite album. I don't think Corgan cares that much about his image.
no, no, of course i understand james iha contributed greatly, in fact he really did the whole time, even if he wasnt in the recording process. i believe billy when he says he recorded a lot, if not all of the guitar parts because it had a better flow and was easier for rhythm and stuff, but my point is that billys writing and recording without the other guitarist even around, (supposedly).. actually maybe he already has someone in there. i have no idea. and i love mcis dont worry.

the way i see it right now is billy knows exactly what he wants to do and how to do it and thats whats the most important. i even talked to him about it after his TFE tour show in chicago on the second night. He said zwan and his solo cd were his time off to get in the right mindset to get back into the pumpkins. there are different dynamics and just a different approach to everything in the pumpkins, especially because he finds it so emotionally connected to him. now, this could be total bullshit on his part, but ive talked with him on a lot of different occasions in a lot of different points in his career and he seemed geniunely pumped up about this. whether or not that will have an effect on who the guitarist is, i dunno. sorry this post was kind of a waste.

 
BlissedandGone2 is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 01:10 AM   #13
Mablak
Minion of Satan
 
Mablak's Avatar
 
Location: Well, if it isn't my old friend, Mr. McGreg, with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg!
Posts: 6,411
Default

I still have sentimental feelings about 3EB although I haven't listened to them in years, they're nostalgic for me. The dudes weren't amazing musicians though, SP's leagues above them. I don't actually know what they've done since Blue though.

 
Mablak is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 01:22 AM   #14
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster
 
bja1288's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,206
Default

Out of the Vein is their 3rd cd, Its excellent, just like the others, but was extremely undermarketed, seeing as most 3eb fans know little of their 3rd cd...somewhat like Machina, tho the albums arent comparable

 
bja1288 is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 01:46 AM   #15
silverfrick
Demi-God
 
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 378
Default

Out of the Vein was Jenkins straight up being a pussy about breaking up with Charlize Theron from track 1 through 13. Faster, Forget Myself, Good Man was solid but the rest of the album just average drivel. Their debut was incredible and I would still rank it as a top 10 album of mine personally. Jenkins has been quoted as saying Billy (Gish, Siamese Dream eras) was his greatest influence during their self-titled in 97. Don't tell me Good For You, I Want You, Background, Motorcycle Driveby, God of Wine aren't all incredible songs.

 
silverfrick is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 01:46 AM   #16
Rarely
Shh
 
Rarely's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,779
Default

is kevin kagoden the native american one?

 
Rarely is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 01:48 AM   #17
silverfrick
Demi-God
 
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 378
Default

That's Salazar and he sucks. I don't think Cadogan would be any worse than any other fill-in for James. I wish BC would use Billy Mohler though in some capacity.

 
silverfrick is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 01:50 AM   #18
TheMilstead
Minion of Satan
 
TheMilstead's Avatar
 
Location: Damn fine cup of coffee.
Posts: 5,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfrick
Out of the Vein was Jenkins straight up being a pussy about breaking up with Charlize Theron from track 1 through 13. Faster, Forget Myself, Good Man was solid but the rest of the album just average drivel. Their debut was incredible and I would still rank it as a top 10 album of mine personally. Jenkins has been quoted as saying Billy (Gish, Siamese Dream eras) was his greatest influence during their self-titled in 97. Don't tell me Good For You, I Want You, Background, Motorcycle Driveby, God of Wine aren't all incredible songs.
I Want You isn't an incredible song.

But the last three are the best on that album.

 
TheMilstead is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 01:52 AM   #19
TheDeuce
Apocalyptic Poster
 
TheDeuce's Avatar
 
Location: my dog's name is lily
Posts: 1,356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja1288
Out of the Vein is their 3rd cd, Its excellent, just like the others, but was extremely undermarketed, seeing as most 3eb fans know little of their 3rd cd...somewhat like Machina, tho the albums arent comparable
Hm...Springfield, IL, huh? I used to live in (South) Jacksonville, about a half an hour from there.

I like 3EB's first album and about 3/5 of the second. the third album i listened to, but don't remember much. i know there was some really good song on the bonus dvd though. Motorcycle Drive By is there best song, imo.

3EB and TSP and in completely different ballparks. the pumpkins are more talent while 3eb are more hooks. both good in their own right (mostly), but very, very different. the pumpkins are much more talented though.

 
TheDeuce is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 01:59 AM   #20
Mablak
Minion of Satan
 
Mablak's Avatar
 
Location: Well, if it isn't my old friend, Mr. McGreg, with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg!
Posts: 6,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfrick
Out of the Vein was Jenkins straight up being a pussy about breaking up with Charlize Theron from track 1 through 13. Faster, Forget Myself, Good Man was solid but the rest of the album just average drivel. Their debut was incredible and I would still rank it as a top 10 album of mine personally. Jenkins has been quoted as saying Billy (Gish, Siamese Dream eras) was his greatest influence during their self-titled in 97. Don't tell me Good For You, I Want You, Background, Motorcycle Driveby, God of Wine aren't all incredible songs.
I do agree no one actually knows the good side of 3EB, they were many times better than the standard alternative band of today. But holy crap, Charlize Theron? Her hotness is immeasurable, how could anyone break up with her.
I assume you mean 'getting dumped by'

 
Mablak is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 05:21 AM   #21
Kahlo
Registered User
 
Kahlo's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,539
Default

someone upload 'wounded' to yousendit or soem of their decent tracks

 
Kahlo is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 05:27 AM   #22
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
 
wHATcOLOR's Avatar
 
Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!
Posts: 47,087
Default

i would think it was great news.

and i'm a little uncomfortable knowing that kahlo and i see eye to eye more or less re: wounded. sometimes when i want to listen to something with really great sounding production, i go to that song

 
wHATcOLOR is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 05:48 AM   #23
cork_soaker
full of longing
 
cork_soaker's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja1288
THe guitarist from Third Eye Blind (involved in the S/T and Blue) was asked in an interview if he'd join up with the Smashing Pumpkins, and he said of course. What would be your thoughts on this other than the obvious wishes that you could have Iha back? I think itd be awesome, but thats only cuz they are my 2 fav bands....
was there some basis for the interviewer to ask this question?

 
cork_soaker is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #24
TheMilstead
Minion of Satan
 
TheMilstead's Avatar
 
Location: Damn fine cup of coffee.
Posts: 5,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo
someone upload 'wounded' to yousendit or soem of their decent tracks
I've got a zip file uploading right now...When I get a break in my classes today, I'll post the link.

 
TheMilstead is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 10:27 AM   #25
IWishIWasBlank
Apocalyptic Poster
 
IWishIWasBlank's Avatar
 
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gisher
Third Eye Blind is/was DOGSHIT. Having their loser guitarist in the Pumpkins would be terrible.
Ayup.

 
IWishIWasBlank is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 04:04 PM   #26
pinballzero
Pledge
 
Posts: 106
Default

bascially a square peg in a round hole.... this wont work, although I love 3eb

 
pinballzero is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 05:52 PM   #27
undersco_red
Apocalyptic Poster
 
undersco_red's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *************
*listens*

ope, still sucks.
so what, you're a fucking idiot mormon bitch.

 
undersco_red is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 09:36 PM   #28
Boycott Graceland
Socialphobic
 
Boycott Graceland's Avatar
 
Location: leprechaun julius
Posts: 10,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja1288
did u listen to anything other than the singles?
i can't imagine anyone typing this sentence with a "U" instead of "you" thinking they're beginning a legitimate argument. what the fuck.

 
Boycott Graceland is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 10:05 PM   #29
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster
 
bja1288's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,206
Default

are you serious?? *rolling on the floor laughing my ass off*

 
bja1288 is offline
Old 01-24-2007, 10:44 PM   #30
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 32,108
Default

The only song I like by this band is Motorcyle Driveby

 
redbreegull is offline
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:20 AM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2022