Old 02-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
???
Minion of Satan

Default lets discuss guitar videos some more

what do you think of this youtube guy.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Warsaw
Minion of Satan

To whomever thinks this video is fake... your fucking stupid, thats real n00bs...instead of probably playing guitar hero buy a real guitar lolz

jeeze give the kid a break.....
that is why he plays guitar so good to make up for his weight.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

flangetastic

Old 02-07-2008, 06:35 AM   #4
Nothing/everything
Minion of Satan

Talking

Old 02-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

so apparently you spend hours watching guitar videos but don't want to listen to new music

huh, ???

Old 02-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
TheDeuce
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ??? View Post

awesome playing. i think i saw this on digg a while back. i wanna hear this guy's band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsaw View Post
To whomever thinks this video is fake... your fucking stupid, thats real n00bs...instead of probably playing guitar hero buy a real guitar lolz

jeeze give the kid a break.....
that is why he plays guitar so good to make up for his weight.

no...one...said...anything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing/everything View Post
proof that awesome guitar playing doesn't always make a good song...no matter how long your hair is.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
???
Minion of Satan

-moved to mp3 thread-

Old 02-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

Quote:
i know there are plenty of great bands out there, but if there's no sense of competition, if they're not making waves in the realms of popular culture, then i don't really find myself caring to see whether they sink or swim. its boring.
there you said it. hard to believe you're being serious but i guess you are.

god there is so much music that is so different from everything else you've heard. so very different. i don't see the appeal in listening to hundreds of samey sounding indie pop bands either. but so many people are making so many exciting tunes - how can you simply reject all of that without having heard it?

for example, do you have any idea what those bands in the no wave thread sound like

Old 02-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #9
???
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' Cherub View Post
there you said it. hard to believe you're being serious but i guess you are.

god there is so much music that is so different from everything else you've heard. so very different. i don't see the appeal in listening to hundreds of samey sounding indie pop bands either. but so many people are making so many exciting tunes - how can you simply reject all of that without having heard it?

for example, do you have any idea what those bands in the no wave thread sound like
no idea whatsoever. and i'm sure most of its great, honestly. but by personal default, i'm only really into bands that do "big things". and much like billy corgan, i'm tuned into the grand delusion of what is known as the history of rock'n'roll. there are many obscure/indie bands i love, but things done on a perceived smaller scale just don't hold as much lasting appeal to me, and unfortunately i think this is the case for most people too.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

nah i've never heard of anyone who thought that. most people just don't know that there's a world outside mtv and adult radio classics. some are anti-indie as a fashion statement though think shaunna

Old 02-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #11
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
no idea whatsoever. and i'm sure most of its great, honestly. but by personal default, i'm only really into bands that do "big things". and much like billy corgan, i'm tuned into the grand delusion of what is known as the history of rock'n'roll.
well you should definitely check those bands in that case

Old 02-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #12
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

i like the guitar duel threads ....

Old 02-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #13
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
well you should definitely check those bands in that case
good point

Old 02-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #14
???
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' Cherub View Post
nah i've never heard of anyone who thought that. most people just don't know that there's a world outside mtv and adult radio classics. some are anti-indie as a fashion statement though think shaunna
you've never heard anyone say that because not many people have probably realised it. totally shallow thing to say perhaps but i try to make a difference by being so candid i guess. anyway, i'm definitely not "anti indie" because like i said, i appreciate the music. the distinction i'm making here is between indie bands who are happy to be just that, and remain underground or whatever, and indie bands with ambition who want to achieve big things, and who have something to say, something to prove to the world. those are the bands i want to listen to. the spectacle is what i love, i guess. if art isn't fighting or standing for something, what is it but an indulgence, an amusement? and i'm not talking about fighting for anything so shallow as chart positions and record sales; just fighting to be who you are and be amazing. that's my definition of artistic greatness.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:23 PM   #15
BumbleBeeMouth
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

That sounds shit though james.

it. must. have.feeling

Old 02-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #16
???
Minion of Satan

tbh the concept of a solo with "feeling" has pretty much been rendered meaningless to me. vibrato and few "sensually"-played notes don't make a solo any more real to me. i listen to vai, malmsteen or any of the good shredders, any of the top bluesmen or rock guitarists, and can identify a specific personal "feel" for each player but not one that necessarily stirs my soul or whatever. honestly the only guitar solos that ever made me feel anything emotionally are corgan's, and i reckon that's got more to do with the way they're written and the genius production than the actual playing technique. not that bill's technique wasn't flawless on recordings, but his live solos have never ever been as strastospherically mind-blowing as the recorded ones, so there is a clear difference.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #17
Nate the Grate
Minion of Satan

Wow.

edit: that's for everything Izzy Mandlebaum said in this thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #18
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
honestly the only guitar solos that ever made me feel anything emotionally are corgan's, and i reckon that's got more to do with the way they're written and the genius production than the actual playing technique. not that bill's technique wasn't flawless on recordings, but his live solos have never ever been as strastospherically mind-blowing as the recorded ones, so there is a clear difference.
oh christ

Old 02-07-2008, 11:11 PM   #19
KrazeeStacee

The first video really isn't that impressive. Its obvious the guy was just trying to fit his whole bag of tricks in one little solo. He does a few technically difficult things but they really just sound forced. Not to mention the main riff and backing music is about as gay as it gets. Also the poor sound and flanger that comes in covers up a fair bit of slop. I mean, I'm not saying the guy can't play but I wouldn't ever want to hear any music he has created after seeing this video. Thats one thing that will seperate great guitar players overall from people who are only technically proficient and thats restraint. It takes a fair bit of good taste to have the restraint not to throw every single trick you know into a solo, especially if you're lacking in melodic abilities and phrasing. I guess an example of what I'm talking about would be like comparing Malmsteen to Gilmour. Malmsteen is amazingly proficient in technical aspects but his music is often in poor taste and he tries to throw every trick he has into every single song. Gilmour has so much restraint and phrasing abilities that you don't notice a lack in technical abilities. Watch the G3 tour videos when Malmsteen was with Vai and Satriani. During the jam songs Malmsteen makes himself look like an asshole and he sounds like shit compared to the other two.

You ever get much into practicing lead guitar Isle? I know we briefly talked about it a while ago but I haven't been around to read anything lately. Since I've purchased my new badass keyboard I've really let my guitar playing slip. I just don't have the time or efforted needed to keep up chops when I don't really use them in the music I'm making now. At least its just like riding a bike, only my endurance and dexterity decrease but can be regained if it becomes important to me.

/mark

Old 02-08-2008, 07:15 AM   #20
???
Minion of Satan

to answer your question, i've practised my shred runs a little bit and they seem to come together a step at a time. instead of learning full scales and how to fluidly play each possible sequence of notes, my shredding is more like a chain of "combos" of runs that i can already play, with little variations here and there.

i'd like to pick up a few techniques like sweep picking but i've looked at that from all angles and it just looks impossible. i don't understand the physical dimensions of it. the pick only hits each string for a fraction of a fraction of a second, so how can you possibly hit several notes on each string whilst making one sweep-pick across all six?

Old 02-08-2008, 07:16 AM   #21
???
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
oh christ
i'm glad you find that so funny.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:06 AM   #22
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

badass keyboard

Old 02-08-2008, 01:39 PM   #23
KrazeeStacee

Seriously, its an Axiom 61 key midi keyboard controller. It rocks.

Isle, sweep picking is just all about timing and practice. When you're learning how to sweep pick, you basically start out at a fraction of the speed and very slowly build your way up. Thats one reason that its the only major technique I've never cared to get too deeply into. It takes way more practice that is mind numbingly boring than anything else. Usually people start off doing 3 string sweeps and then as you get proficient you just keep adding strings and then work on sweeping up and down. Too tedious but man it does create some awesome sounds. I have a good Paul Gilbert video where he gets into sweep picking and the exercises are definately useful but just as boring as any other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC9BP5qnWtI

That is basically the same lesson you'll get for sweep picking no matter who is presenting it.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #24
Thaniel Buckner
Minion of Satan

i'm calling your bluff isle.

there's no way you're serious.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #25
celluloid_love
Minion of Satan

shut down the music board

Old 02-09-2008, 02:20 AM   #26
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

This is probably why people here don't like me, but I totally get what Isle says about most stuff. Like the thing about bands wanting to do big things. I mean, I listen to whatever I feel like these days, but I totally understand the feeling of wanting to hear a band that is exciting and going places. As opposed to hearing an older washed up band or a small time band with no ambition or desire to ever be heard by larger circles.

And also what he said about emotional guitar solos. There are looooots of guitarists that are very emotionally evocative to me when they play, but a few stand above the rest, and Corgan is one. His solos fit the mood of the song perfectly, they are as lyrical as his words. Listen to Mayo or Hummer and tell me those solos are not some the most perfect little guitar runs you have ever heard. They evoke so much feeling. But yeah, David Gilmour is up there for me too, as is Buckley although he doesn't do lead really.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:54 AM   #27
flavin
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
awesome playing. i think i saw this on digg a while back. i wanna hear this guy's band.

no...one...said...anything...

proof that awesome guitar playing doesn't always make a good song...no matter how long your hair is.
"WOW" This is a (solo).
Some people Do this with a "Band", but, this guy do this alone. "This is a real "Solo".

just because you may have a seen better this is amazing,and dont make fun of someone because of their weight it doesnt make them play worse im pretty hefty and i play guitar.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:08 AM   #28
???
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
This is probably why people here don't like me, but I totally get what Isle says about most stuff. Like the thing about bands wanting to do big things. I mean, I listen to whatever I feel like these days, but I totally understand the feeling of wanting to hear a band that is exciting and going places. As opposed to hearing an older washed up band or a small time band with no ambition or desire to ever be heard by larger circles.

And also what he said about emotional guitar solos. There are looooots of guitarists that are very emotionally evocative to me when they play, but a few stand above the rest, and Corgan is one. His solos fit the mood of the song perfectly, they are as lyrical as his words. Listen to Mayo or Hummer and tell me those solos are not some the most perfect little guitar runs you have ever heard. They evoke so much feeling. But yeah, David Gilmour is up there for me too, as is Buckley although he doesn't do lead really.
hey thanks. you're talking about jeff buckley right? i like his solos too. i just wish we'd seen more of them. eternal life road version

Old 02-09-2008, 06:21 AM   #29
TuralyonW3
Immortal

ugh this thread makes me want to vomit and go listen to some fushitsusha

Old 02-09-2008, 06:32 AM   #30
???
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Grate View Post
Wow.

edit: that's for everything Izzy Mandlebaum said in this thread
if you guys like this thread, go read the mp3 debate one plz. needs more contributors.