Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2002, 08:25 AM   #1
The Gaddrow
Minion of Satan

Arrow All you need is Love (A Netphorian GUIDELINES thread)

All right. This night turned out to be especially lame. It's one thing that I am sitting home alone on a Saturday night, but when I could be looking at pr0n, I have to sit here and baby sit the kids and get involved in a retarded flamewar with someone who has no basis for their argument.

That being said, we need to have some clarification on the rules recently instilled on this message board. I know I am putting too much time and thought into this, but at this time of day, I have nothing more compelling to do.

I don't want to live in a dictatorship. I don't want Netphoria to be a dictatorship. I want it to be that happy place you come to say what you want to say, without fear of censorship or feeling that you are wrong in your opinions. Now, of course, that doesn't quite work out as it should, but you do have the right to say how you feel about something, all the while understanding that someone else has the right to disagree with you, and call you a fucking moron if they see fit.

Rules are always something to be questioned. Someone will always disagree. "The sign says 30 miles per hour, but I see nothing wrong with going 35", etc. etc. Rules are set in place for the benefit of you and those around you. Any "rules" we set forth are to make this a nicer place to be. I understand the argument that "there was nothing wrong with the way it was before your silly rules" , but there was. I have received complaints about various things in the past, and had myself become frustrated by certain people posting in a manner which makes my time on Netphoria less enjoyable. If anyone has any problems with any "rule" instilled by Glenn and myself several weeks ago, please discuss them here.

There seems to be one "rule" in question tonight, and I will discuss this now.

Signatures
I enjoy signatures. I like the fact that I can add a little statement to the end of my post to possibly give the reader an inkling of what I am like, a little glimpse of what is going on in my head which may / may not be relevant to my post. A signature is not a place for a poem. It's not a place for your life story. It's not a place for a life sized picture of your neighbors dogs vagina. It's an area where you can accentuate yourself a couple lines at a time after your post. A reasonable amount of space is four lines. More than this causes confusion and becomes nothing more than clutter. If you read this board as frequently as the majority of Netphorians, you grow tired of seeing the same babble over and over, and as you begin to learn to ignore that persons signature, you begin to ignore that person all together.

I am ok with sig pics, as I have a DSL connection. What some of you don't realize/care about is that many out there don't. It takes forever to load a page because your huge ass signature (which probably isn't as witty or cute as you think) has to load. They need to be kept to a respectable size, and as I have said in the past, you should be able to use common sense on this one. If you aren't able to do that ask a friend or loved one and I am sure they can help you out.

I don't have a problem with posting your signature multiple times, but it is really redundant. If you do it once in a thread, it's going to be seen / read. There is no need for it to appear multiple times. Again, the common sense ideology. If you post a picture in your signature, you are expected to post it once and only once in the thread. There is no need for me or anyone to see the cute picture of the ultra-talented gothic band you so blatantly love. I'm not going to have you banned because you "accidentally" posted it twice. I may delete your sig, or I may not even notice. I may be too drunk to care. If you are an ass about it and obviously doing it to be an ass, we may have to take further action. I don't think we need to have "rules" here. In fact, I think it's rather lame. I wish we all had the common-sense element going for us, but obviously some of us don't. So, we the moderators of Netphoria have set "guidelines" to help make Netphoria a better place. I'm not even going to make a list of these guidelines here. You should know them already. I am going to leave it in your hands. If you are unable to make a logical decision on your own, ask someone. There are thousands of people out there willing to help. If you can't find anyone, know that we are here to help you along your way. If you post a picture of a gaping anus, know that it will be deleted. If you post the life story of Jeffery Dahmer in your signature, it will be deleted. If you persist, you will be deleted.

I understand not all of Netphoria will read this, and we will make an effort to give notice and let you know if you are doing something we perceive as detrimental to the state of Netphoria.

Last edited by The Gaddrow : 10-13-2002 at 08:31 AM.

Old 10-13-2002, 08:34 AM   #2
Cactuar
Apocalyptic Poster

tl, dr

JK! LOL!

But yeah. Mike stated it very well.

Nice custom title btw

Old 10-13-2002, 08:37 AM   #3
strange_one
No Chance

that's a well written piece right there mike

Old 10-13-2002, 08:48 AM   #4
The Gaddrow
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by strange_one
that's a well written piece right there mike
Thank you. It's a good feeling to take the time to say what you want to say rather than spit out stupid shit in the heat of an argument.

It's a shame that only about three of us will actually read it.

Old 10-13-2002, 09:01 AM   #5
severin
no more than sympathy

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaddrow
Thank you. It's a good feeling to take the time to say what you want to say rather than spit out stupid shit in the heat of an argument.

Views: 19
offf...i think i'll cut my sig-usage down to 1 time per thread..or on multiple page-threads, could we say once per page? just kidding....

Old 10-13-2002, 01:13 PM   #6
beef curtains
Immortal

Quote:

WTF. You became a mod?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-13-2002, 01:23 PM   #7
Travis Meekz
Minion of Satan

I think my sig is fine

Old 10-13-2002, 01:44 PM   #8
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

tl, dr

Hey you should let us vote on something if you're going to make this sticky.

Old 10-13-2002, 02:10 PM   #9
lucky_13
Apocalyptic Poster

i didn't read one word of that. i'm not usually a netphorian offender though.

Old 10-13-2002, 02:28 PM   #10
jared
Apocalyptic Poster

Default oink

i feel like im in a donought shop

Old 10-13-2002, 02:41 PM   #11
Mr. Rhinoceros

MIKE YOU ARE A BIG FAGOT I REFUSE TO ADHERE TO THE RULES I AM A RENEGADE OF FUNK BRING FREEDOME TO NETFORIA TODAY REBEL PEACE LAND BREAD

Old 10-13-2002, 02:42 PM   #12
lament
Demi-God

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros
I AM A RENEGADE OF FUNK

hahahaha, thats great

Old 10-13-2002, 03:27 PM   #13
Samsa
Banned

no. it's not your place to decide what the function is of a signature. i don't post it all the fuckign time i post it when i feel it's important that i post it and it's not your place to fucking censor me. end of story.

Old 10-13-2002, 03:50 PM   #14
skippy
Apocalyptic Poster

Thumbs up

Well I for one hope that she's not allowed to post her sig simply so that she doesn't get her way. One gets the impression that's not something she's used to experiencing. It's sort of refreshing.

Old 10-13-2002, 03:54 PM   #15
Samsa
Banned

if i always get my way it has little to do with me being spoiled and more to do that i am 99% of the time an extremely passive person and consequently when something DOES arise that i care about it's somethign that i care very very much about. so maybe i do 'always get my way' but the fact that i only make a fuss once in a blue moon makes your little hypothesis totally moot. maybe you never get your way because you actually care about more things than i do. most things i really don't care about but there are a couple things i do care about. i'm not spoiled, i'm just a generally passive person.

Old 10-13-2002, 03:55 PM   #16
Samsa
Banned

oh and ps, fuck you mark ledrew. you're such an uptight prick. i'm not the one who shoplifts all the fucking time because i feel i have a moral right to whatever the fuck i want.

Old 10-13-2002, 03:57 PM   #17
sawdust restaurants
Fucking Creep

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark LeDrew
Well I for one hope that she's not allowed to post her sig simply so that she doesn't get her way. One gets the impression that's not something she's used to experiencing. It's sort of refreshing.
Maybe it'll wind up being hot new GameCube item.

Old 10-13-2002, 04:14 PM   #18
KrazeeStacee

Talking

yay for suze

Old 10-13-2002, 04:15 PM   #19
skippy
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Samsa
if i always get my way it has little to do with me being spoiled and more to do that i am 99% of the time an extremely passive person and consequently when something DOES arise that i care about it's somethign that i care very very much about. so maybe i do 'always get my way' but the fact that i only make a fuss once in a blue moon makes your little hypothesis totally moot. maybe you never get your way because you actually care about more things than i do. most things i really don't care about but there are a couple things i do care about. i'm not spoiled, i'm just a generally passive person.

oh and ps, fuck you mark ledrew. you're such an uptight prick. i'm not the one who shoplifts all the fucking time because i feel i have a moral right to whatever the fuck i want.

Well if in fact it's true that you choose your battles carefully and you've decided to make sig sizes one of them, I would strongly consider re-evaluating your priorities.

Also, you calling anyone uptight is truly laughable.

As for the shoplifting thing, I fail to see what that has to do with anything. In any case it's certainly not a common practice for me.

Old 10-13-2002, 04:20 PM   #20
Samsa
Banned

Quote:

Well if in fact it's true that you choose your battles carefully and you've decided to make sig sizes one of them, I would strongly consider re-evaluating your priorities.

Also, you calling anyone uptight is truly laughable.

As for the shoplifting thing, I fail to see what that has to do with anything. In any case it's certainly not a common practice for me.
the fact that it's such an issue of minimal importance makes it even more ridiculous that they actually care enough to go around trying to repress it. it is obviously i very strongly WANT to have control over and something tha tno one else really cares about. and it's not important. and considering it's so unimportant makes it even more ridiculous that this is even an issue. why can't i just have my sig?

the shoplifting thing? you call me spoiled and insistent on always getting my way, yet you are so spoiled that when you don't have the means to buy something, you just say 'fuck it' and take it. who's the spoiled one there huh?

Old 10-13-2002, 04:26 PM   #21
skippy
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

the shoplifting thing? you call me spoiled and insistent on always getting my way, yet you are so spoiled that when you don't have the means to buy something, you just say 'fuck it' and take it. who's the spoiled one there huh?
Hmm...I couldn't find the part in my post where I said that you were spoiled. Sounds to me like you have a guilty conscience.

And while shoplifting is certainly nothing to be proud of, it also has nothing to do with being spoiled as far as I can tell.

Old 10-13-2002, 04:32 PM   #22
Samsa
Banned

Quote:
isn't the definition of a spoiled person someone who always gets their way, mark ledrew? or do you have selective memory blackouts?

Old 10-13-2002, 04:34 PM   #23
Samsa
Banned

and furthermore, let's say i just stop using the word 'spoiled', i just used it because it's one word and easy to use. let's just use the definition 'always has to get their way' in terms of your little shoplifting expeditions. you insist on having a product whether you can afford it or not. you always have to get your way. do you not see that?

Old 10-13-2002, 04:39 PM   #24
skippy
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
and furthermore, let's say i just stop using the word 'spoiled', i just used it because it's one word and easy to use. let's just use the definition 'always has to get their way' in terms of your little shoplifting expeditions. you insist on having a product whether you can afford it or not. you always have to get your way. do you not see that?
Well if every time I saw something that I wanted I just took it, then maybe your argument would have some merit. But considering the fact that I've only stolen 2 items in my entire life (and one of them was a bottle of Coke), I'd have to say you are really reaching.

Old 10-13-2002, 04:41 PM   #25
Fattening Ass
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Exclamation

Main Entry: [1]spoil
Pronunciation: 'spoi(&)l
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English spoile, from Middle French espoille, from Latin spolia, plural of spolium animal skin —more at SPILL
Date: 14th century
1 a : plunder taken from an enemy in war or a victim in robbery : LOOT b : public offices made the property of a successful party — usually used in plural c : something valuable or desirable gained through special effort or opportunism or in return for a favor; usually used in plural
2 a : SPOLIATION, PLUNDERING b : the act of damaging : HARM, IMPAIRMENT
3 : an object of plundering : PREY
4 : earth and rock excavated or dredged
5 : an object damaged or flawed in the making
synonyms SPOIL, PLUNDER, BOOTY, PRIZE, LOOT mean something taken from another by force or craft. SPOIL, more commonly SPOILS, applies to what belongs by right or custom to the victor in war or political contest . PLUNDER applies to what is taken not only in war but in robbery, banditry, grafting, or swindling . BOOTY implies plunder to be shared among confederates . PRIZE applies to spoils captured on the high seas or territorial waters of the enemy . LOOT applies especially to what is taken from victims of a catastrophe .

Main Entry: [2]spoil
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): spoiled /'spoi(&)ld, 'spoi(&)lt/ also spoilt /'spoi(&)lt/; spoil·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French espoillier, from Latin spoliare, from spolium
Date: 14th century
transitive senses
1 a : archaic : DESPOIL, STRIP b : PILLAGE, ROB
2 : archaic : to seize by force
3 a : to damage seriously : RUIN b : to impair the quality or effect of

4 a : to impair the disposition or character of by overindulgence or excessive praise b : to pamper excessively : CODDLE
intransitive senses
1 : to practice plunder and robbery
2 : to lose valuable or useful qualities usually as a result of decay
3 : to have an eager desire
synonym see DECAY, INDULGE
- spoil·able /'spoi-l&-b&l/ adjective

Old 10-13-2002, 04:44 PM   #26
Fattening Ass

Talking

LOL a synonym for Spoil is Booty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-13-2002, 04:48 PM   #27
Samsa
Banned

um gil.

wrong. connotations AND denotations.

spoiled

adj 1: treated with excessive indulgence; "pampered from earliest childhood, he believed the world had been invented for his entertainment" [syn: coddled, pampered] 2: having the character or disposition harmed by pampering or oversolicitous attention; "a spoiled child" [syn: spoilt] 3: (of foodstuffs) not in an edible or usable condition; "bad meat"; "a refrigerator full of spoilt food" [syn: bad, spoilt]

Old 10-13-2002, 04:53 PM   #28
Fattening Ass

Quote:
um gil.

wrong. connotations AND denotations.

spoiled

adj 1: treated with excessive indulgence; "pampered from earliest childhood, he believed the world had been invented for his entertainment" [syn: coddled, pampered] 2: having the character or disposition harmed by pampering or oversolicitous attention; "a spoiled child" [syn: spoilt] 3: (of foodstuffs) not in an edible or usable condition; "bad meat"; "a refrigerator full of spoilt food" [syn: bad, spoilt]
:\ What i posted is what Merriam-Webster gave me for "Spoiled".

Old 10-13-2002, 05:59 PM   #29
Johnny Zoloft
Apocalyptic Poster

motherfuck the police!

Old 10-13-2002, 06:16 PM   #30
Ugly

Default Re: All you need is Love (A Netphorian GUIDELINES thread)

Quote:

I don't have a problem with posting your signature multiple times, but it is really redundant. If you do it once in a thread, it's going to be seen / read. There is no need for it to appear multiple times. Again, the common sense ideology. If you post a picture in your signature, you are expected to post it once and only once in the thread.
meh, I like posting mine whenever I post. if somebody is too lazy to check the name of the poster then the sig gets across who it is. I think it ads a sense of consistency to someone if they post thier sig every time. sides, mine isn't superhuge anyway.