Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 03-11-2023, 02:23 PM   #811
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

I think it might be time for me to rewatch all those shows.

Old 03-11-2023, 02:24 PM   #812
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

I think it helped kickstart some sort of golden age of American TV shows in many ways, really had an impact on just what a show could aspire to be.

Old 03-11-2023, 03:26 PM   #813
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

That's historically accurate. It's going to be reported that way in the future, assuming humans are still around in 50 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden...2%80%93present)

Old 03-12-2023, 01:19 AM   #814
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Not sure if anyone watches 1000 pound sisters besides me (maybe you, Vixnix?) but Amy posted a selfie on Instagram with a new Gucci purse, and someone commented "Great bag, you can use it to hold your roaches!" and I haven't stopped chuckling about it.

Old 03-12-2023, 03:57 AM   #815
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Im going thru Friday Night Dinner again. It’s insanely good.

Old 03-13-2023, 12:09 PM   #816
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Cool

Rewatching Perry Mason's first season to get ready for S2. It's just about perfect. First episode hooks you in minutes, gives you fleshed-out characters right away, goes dark and gory as hell at times, but is also really funny without being quippy. Hope the new season is just as great.

Plus, how can you not fuckin' love these title cards

Old 03-14-2023, 01:51 PM   #817
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Watching a documentary on Subway Jared the pedophile. Why do I watch this stuff?? It's so awful and I hate it.

Old 03-14-2023, 04:15 PM   #818
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
Um, excuse me, Tina always had a personality and she's my favorite main
Yeah, on a rewatch, and maybe knowing where they'd end up, I definitely see separate personalities from the start. Not the ones they'd have later on exactly, but they're there in broad strokes. Not sure why I couldn't see as many differences the first time around.

I am just going to say it, though: I would not miss Gene if he just disappeared, and I feel like, if the episode isn't specifically about him, you could edit him out of almost the whole show and it wouldn't affect anything. He's written like he doesn't realize he's a ghost most of the time. Characters are discussing something, he interjects some disgusting comment like "Mmm, I'd love to fill my pants with hot pudding" or whatever the fuck, and the other characters go on discussing the topic like he wasn't even there.

Old 03-14-2023, 04:24 PM   #819
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I like the little musical element he adds, though

Old 03-14-2023, 04:41 PM   #820
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Rewatching Perry Mason's first season to get ready for S2. It's just about perfect. First episode hooks you in minutes, gives you fleshed-out characters right away, goes dark and gory as hell at times, but is also really funny without being quippy. Hope the new season is just as great.

Plus, how can you not fuckin' love these title cards

First season was good. I wish there was a standalone series about Tatiana Maslany character, Sister Alice, who is based on Aimee Semple McPherson and her crazy ass LA megachurch, International Church of the Foursquare Gospel. She had a nationwide radio show, and a lot of LA celebs attended her Sunday services.

I'm worried they won't be able to top the first season.

Old 03-14-2023, 06:30 PM   #821
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Red face

Ah fuck, thank you, I kept wondering if she was based on a real person and probably never would have actually remembered to look it up. And yeah, any show dropping Maslany is gonna be running at an automatic deficit, for real. There'd have to be a damned good reason to bring her back, I think, but I'm gonna miss Sister Alice a lot.

Old 03-14-2023, 11:35 PM   #822
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Ah fuck, thank you, I kept wondering if she was based on a real person and probably never would have actually remembered to look it up. And yeah, any show dropping Maslany is gonna be running at an automatic deficit, for real. There'd have to be a damned good reason to bring her back, I think, but I'm gonna miss Sister Alice a lot.
the new season is based on True stories as well.

https://collider.com/perry-mason-sea...crime-scandal/

Quote:
A self-made California oil baron might bring to mind Daniel Plainview, from Paul Thomas Anderson's There Will Be Blood. That movie was loosely based on Upton Sinclair's novel Oil!, which was loosely inspired by the life of Edward Doheny. Doheny, like Plainview, started with nothing. The son of Irish immigrants, he came west from Wisconsin to prospect for gold and silver. He had some success, played capitalist games, made connections, and in the 1890s found himself situated in Los Angeles, where, as the story goes, he was inspired to enter the oil business when he saw the tar being shipped from the La Brea pits.
The show then goes on in Ep 2 to mimic the story of the Doheny Mansion murders....

Old 03-15-2023, 04:38 AM   #823
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
Not sure if anyone watches 1000 pound sisters besides me (maybe you, Vixnix?) but Amy posted a selfie on Instagram with a new Gucci purse, and someone commented "Great bag, you can use it to hold your roaches!" and I haven't stopped chuckling about it.
Lol. I need to start following them on Instagram

Old 03-15-2023, 04:39 AM   #824
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Have entered the sick world of MAFS Australia; see you on the other side

Old 03-19-2023, 02:06 PM   #825
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Halfway through, season 3 of Picard is very good. As hard to swallow as it might be for people who watched the first two, it is really different

Old 03-19-2023, 04:27 PM   #826
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

There's three seasons?

Old 03-19-2023, 06:08 PM   #827
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
There's three seasons?
yeah bro jar jar binks is in this one

Old 03-20-2023, 01:24 AM   #828
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Halfway through, season 3 of Picard is very good. As hard to swallow as it might be for people who watched the first two, it is really different
so much better than the first two 'seasons'.

Been watching random episodes of TNG and Voyager. They should just keep making that kind of show, with cheap arse FX and stand alone episodes. People like that shit. Why the actual fuck are these shows only 8 episodes long and released 2 years apart. WTF.

You can't watch only one episode of any new show because it wouldn't make sense. I see now why everyone over 30 just watches the same 5 crime shows in the USA. CSI or NCIS... they have a different version of it every night of the week and it's a simple formula for brainless entertaining teevee.

i can't believe I miss shit like that. But I do.

I blame the X Files. 9 out of 10 episodes were monster of the week format. But the serialization episodes that were scattered throughout the series for 9 years made it so popular that serialization spread to every type of tv genre.

Old 03-20-2023, 01:31 AM   #829
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I loved Battlestar Galactica... but goddamn it... go back and try watching individual episodes out of order. It's a nightmare.

Old 03-20-2023, 01:33 AM   #830
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

for 30 years my Swedish grandmother would watch reruns of McGyver. Her memory was just poor enough that she wouldn't remember the episodes. Every time she watched McGyver she thought it was new. She was happy as hell.

Old 03-20-2023, 02:23 AM   #831
redbreegull

I hate the CGI in Picard and I assume in the other new Trek shows. There are moments it works but mostly it looks like Pixar. The models from the 90s look better to me.

Old 03-20-2023, 10:55 AM   #832
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I hate the CGI in Picard and I assume in the other new Trek shows. There are moments it works but mostly it looks like Pixar. The models from the 90s look better to me.
I hate how the ship interiors are dark. Even the bridge. Why? I hate that asthetic. It started with JJ Abrahms and it's taken over all the ST shows

Old 03-20-2023, 01:22 PM   #833
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
I hate how the ship interiors are dark. Even the bridge. Why? I hate that asthetic. It started with JJ Abrahms and it's taken over all the ST shows
same. I'm on season 6 of a TNG rewatch and I'm amazed at how in the 24th century, starships had fluorescent lighting and 80s style office carpeting, and now in the 25th century you're liable to break your neck in the dark on your way from the turbolift to the conn

Old 03-20-2023, 04:22 PM   #834
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I want my future to have beige carpeted walls and grey Herman Miller furniture

Old 03-20-2023, 05:14 PM   #835
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I haven't watched much Star Trek, but I've always preferred the sleekness and cleanness of retrofuturism to the overdesigned dingey greebles of more modern sci-fi shit.

I mean, as technology progresses in real life, it seems to get more and more visually streamlined. So why does it end up looking more and more complicated in fiction? A 25th Century spaceship interior would look like the inside of an Apple Store.

Old 03-20-2023, 05:36 PM   #836
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Cool

An Apple Store was, I believe, pretty much exactly what the JJ Abrams Trek was shooting for, actually

I think the greebles are there for the same reason superhero costumes in movies always have like a complicated pattern on the underlayer and tons of little details—simple things, in a nutshell, look cheap and fake in HD

All you "Trek ships are too dark" folks, have you given Brave New Worlds a spin? It took me a few episodes, but I really loved it by the end of the season, and it's bright as fuck

Old 03-20-2023, 06:49 PM   #837
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

i thought BNW sucked.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:01 AM   #838
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
I loved Battlestar Galactica... but goddamn it... go back and try watching individual episodes out of order. It's a nightmare.
70’s Dirk Benedict Starbuck BSG or 00’s Kate Sackhoff BSG?

Old 03-26-2023, 04:03 AM   #839
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Have entered the sick world of MAFS Australia; see you on the other side
MAFS Straya is gold. That Harrison is such a baddie!

Old 03-26-2023, 11:50 PM   #840
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Mr. Inbetween
Ended up seeing all of this one a second time through and it still stood up.

Isn't Succession back on today or thereabouts, too?