Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2011, 03:02 AM   #31
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ??? View Post

Speaking of that, are you at all in touch with your old Smashing Pumpkins band mates James Iha, D’Arcy Wretsky and Jimmy Chamberlain?

No, no. That’s all so dark and ugly. I’m sort of at the point where I don’t want to go into specifics anymore.

WTF?!
...so now Jimmy is included on his "dark and ugly" list?
Pathetic...

Old 10-19-2011, 03:33 AM   #32
T&T
Socialphobic

he doesn't want to go into specifics anymore?

yeah, we're really getting tiered of hearing the details that he's had to repeat all the time

Old 10-19-2011, 07:12 AM   #33
StuckInVain
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
most of the most dubious claims about genre and music relationships I have ever heard have come from your mouth

I would like to ask whatcolor what he thinks Corgan has accurately predicted... at least in the last decade. In 2004 or 2005 I read an interview in which he talked about how the next big thing would be some complete amateur sitting in his room because of the advent of the internet and cheap technology. I don't see this being any truer today than 7 years ago. The most popular bands still have to appeal to the MTV and radio audiences, i.e. twelve to sixteen year olds, and all serious acts have to drive the long hard route as independent artists. not that much has changed, and other than shit we see in viral videos (which we forget in a week), there isn't that much more market viability for some teenager writing songs in his basement.

Rebecca Black is the closest thing I can think of.

He has also derided Radiohead for years and years as being way less important and substantial than people give them credit for, yet they have beat him at every turn.
able to
Justin Bieber got his start making youtube videos, didn't he? Obviously he graduated to MTV/radio/kinghood but I think youtube was critical to his initial exposure.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:21 AM   #34
great poster
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyshambles View Post
never heard of tinted windows?
yeah, the band James joined after the breakup, right? not too clear on all that honestly.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #35
Ball Sack Face
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by great poster View Post
yeah, the band James joined after the breakup, right? not too clear on all that honestly.
They were pretty good. Taylor Hanson drummed and sang, James played e-bow, Hank Williams Jr was on acoustic and Flea played bass. Great chemistry.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #36
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

yeah he really needs to quit talking about the old band, even obliquely. at best it comes off as passive-aggressive. despite all the post-breakup talk, i still have no clear idea as to what the big offence that they all caused him actually is.

his predictions as to the future direction of rock recalls a headache-inducing interview with Brain Eno that i caught recently. they may well be right, but surely they're just talking about a music-delivery system? if i want to listen to a band (now, or in the future) i just wanna put the music on, often whilst doing other things; i don't see myself watching some art installation.

his views on nostalgia, fan expectations etc are just a variation of what he's always spouting off about. so all the best 90's songs were singles? some were great, sure (wtf is it with Hole btw!) but in billy's mind he probably believes that Today, Bullet ect are his best work. they get the big reaction live, sure but it is almost like that's all he's after - the approval for his "iconic" material from the casual fan. so presumably, the "mediocre" old songs are album tracks? and the "pretty good" new songs (not inclding Oceania as he makes it clear he's not talking about the currect tour) are what exactly? i seriously want him to name a few in one of these interviews at some point, should prove interesting. and how does this jive with his insistence on playing old songs that were neither hits or fan favourites - blue skies, HMM etc?

his thinking is all skewed.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #37
omoi
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
good read.

but what's with "any number of Hole songs" as incredible songs?
kookoo.
He's referring to the songs he wrote.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #38
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInVain View Post
Justin Bieber got his start making youtube videos, didn't he? Obviously he graduated to MTV/radio/kinghood but I think youtube was critical to his initial exposure.
I have no idea if that is where Bieber comes from, but that is not what Billy means when he says kids in their basement will be the next big thing. A record company discovering someone on youtube and making him/her famous is not that different than a record company discovering someone at a talent show or bar or open mic or something. Corgan definitely means that people will be able to become huge and influential, by themselves, without the old model.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #39
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
I have no idea if that is where Bieber comes from, but that is not what Billy means when he says kids in their basement will be the next big thing. A record company discovering someone on youtube and making him/her famous is not that different than a record company discovering someone at a talent show or bar or open mic or something. Corgan definitely means that people will be able to become huge and influential, by themselves, without the old model.
like chocolate rain
or that 2000$ Rebecca Black video?

Old 10-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #40
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
like chocolate rain
or that 2000$ Rebecca Black video?
Quote:

Rebecca Black is the closest thing I can think of.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #41
progunta
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by great poster View Post
why is bill being so fucking petty over the old band members. i mean really, it's been 11 years, and what could they have possibly done to warrant 11 years of shit talking?
You don't wanna know!

Old 10-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #42
great poster
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by progunta View Post
You don't wanna know!
you holding out on me

Old 10-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #43
neopryn
let's see your penis!

suck my dick monte

Old 10-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #44
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

post/av?

Old 10-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #45
cunthooks
Amish Rake Fighter

He's said in other recent interviews that he has been listening to music from the 70's and 80's, so why exactly is he fit to bitch about nostalgia? He has a permanent boner for Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Gary Numan....seems a bit hypocritical to bitch about his fans being into older stuff when he himself is obviously doing the same shit.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #46
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

real truth

Old 10-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #47
rottenugly
Banned

billy's the coolest kid in chicago
he has a brother that drools on himself and everything

Old 10-20-2011, 12:13 AM   #48
redbreegull

my favorite part of this interview is that b0lly used 'she' as his gender neutral pronoun

I lolled wondering if it was because of his transgender gaffe thing recently

Old 10-20-2011, 02:37 AM   #49
fuzzyroes
Banned

Its clear that Billys just some nut that no one can work with over long periods of time... Its a shame cause hes never going to be able to grow and progress in a band setting with line up changes every few years.

And Byrne sounds to be getting tighter at the drums but if he couldn't stick it out with any of the older band mates I'm wondering how many years it'll take before he has enough of Byrne. I mean spending years on the road and stuff with some young kid when you're a middle aged man is bound to probably drive him up the wall eventually.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:40 AM   #50
fuzzyroes
Banned

My guess is this attention and success will start going straight to Byrnes head and he'll end up partying hardcore and shit and doing stuff that goes against Billys religious beliefs... Only a matter of time before the inevitable occurs. Its a part of growing up. And I dont think Billy will stand for it when it starts affecting his agenda.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #51
emilem
Demi-God

Quote:
In 2004 or 2005 I read an interview in which he talked about how the next big thing would be some complete amateur sitting in his room because of the advent of the internet and cheap technology. I don't see this being any truer today than 7 years ago.
ariel pink says hi

Old 11-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #52
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
in this instance i'm not impressed or really convinced by what he's saying here

i think he's got it mostly right in that 'it will be in mixed media', but he doesn't push it far enough / convincingly describe a vision.

something like this i think is a better example of where innovation is headed. namely, crowdsourcing, collaboration, and continually evolving media..
www.thejohnnycashproject.com
http://www.fastcompany.com/1615837/t...iving-portrait

whereas what he's describing is basically a single artist putting together an extended music video, which is already done and not really considered an innovation at this point. perhaps he was intending to describe something like the above, but if so it wasn't plainly stated

i've got no crystal ball and don't claim to know or care where the 'music industry' is headed, but from the standpoint of a casual observer, the project in that link is a lot more compelling than what he described
following up on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReH7z...layer_embedded
www.ro.me
http://www.chromeexperiments.com/det...eams-of-black/

Last edited by wHATcOLOR : 11-09-2011 at 10:25 PM.