Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 06-09-2023, 04:11 PM   #31
Ram27
dumb

ooh tell me more

Old 06-09-2023, 04:12 PM   #32
Ram27
dumb

this is my great aunt's cloak

Old 06-09-2023, 04:51 PM   #33
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
Those girls are examples of posh Dublin girls, in case anyone is wondering.
This comment struck me as interesting because I have a younger nephew who is constantly asking me what (thing from the 90s) was called. He thinks every haircut or every fashion choice had an extremely defined name and set of rules, etc.

Unrelated, but here we are...

Old 06-09-2023, 06:28 PM   #34
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Those girls are examples of posh Dublin girls, in case anyone is wondering.
How would you know? Were you even alive in the 80s?

Old 06-09-2023, 06:30 PM   #35
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Was anyone, really?

Old 06-09-2023, 06:33 PM   #36
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I was never a Cure Head. The group i hung around with back then was more into Siouxsie. We all loved the Cure, but the tone was way more Siouxsie Sioux than Robert Smith.

Old 06-09-2023, 06:36 PM   #37
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I saw the Cure on The Wish tour. I think the band Shellyan Orphan opened for them. I have pictures of myself from that show.

There was a short span around that time when I saw New Order, PIL, Depeche Mode, OMD, Coctaeu Twins, Sundays, The Cure, Sugarcubes (5 times), The Church, U2, .. and a bunch of other bands live.

Between 89 and 99 I probably saw 1000 bands live. Most of that number was late in the 90s I was doing merch and traveling occasionally with a band I know when they would tour.

But the late 80s to earloy 90s was great too. I saw SP in Chicago ( i think at the Metro) before Gish came out. I hated them. I thought they were pretentious hippies and I absolutely HATED their aesthetic. But by 93 I had let go of the UK Goth shit and was way into the newer bands like SP.

Way back then i got really good at sneaking back stage at concerts. Security was not like it is now at big venues. And most bars had zero security. I saw Depeche Mode in Detroit and literally just walked through the back door to the venue and we stood back stage for most of the day.

I met Bjork when i was 17. Subarcubes were playing a show in Chinatown in Toronto and we just walked up to the band that afternoon on the street and started talking to them. They were all smoking. Bjork's english was hard to understand. She had the Robert Smith hair back then. ONe of the guys in the band gave me a cigarette. I'm not sure if he was being cordial or hitting on me. But he lit it for me and handed it off. So i guess i indirectly swapped spit with Bragi Ólafsson.

It's not as great as the time that Amanda Palmer kissed me. But that was only 4 years ago

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 06-09-2023 at 06:52 PM.

Old 06-10-2023, 05:22 AM   #38
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
How would you know? Were you even alive in the 80s?
Haha of course I was. I remember people dressing like this and even flirted with the style occasionally myself. Ultimately though I was more into the Stone Roses so that was my look. Floppy hair, flared jeans, oversized long sleeved tops. In fact, I knew a lot of "Cureheads" who changed their style overnight when the Roses broke through.

Also, anyone from Dublin will know this is a posh / "D4" accent.

Old 06-10-2023, 08:34 AM   #39
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

god damn this fucking thread title got me again

is this the new Rick roll for old school SP fans? lol

Old 06-10-2023, 08:36 AM   #40
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Rick Astley identifies as he/him now btw so pls be respectful.

- Jokers on fucking netphoria of all places.

Old 06-10-2023, 05:46 PM   #41
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Haha of course I was. I remember people dressing like this and even flirted with the style occasionally myself. Ultimately though I was more into the Stone Roses so that was my look. Floppy hair, flared jeans, oversized long sleeved tops. In fact, I knew a lot of "Cureheads" who changed their style overnight when the Roses broke through.

Also, anyone from Dublin will know this is a posh / "D4" accent.
OMG i hated stone roses.. all the way through the 90s. But now, listening to them... so good. Just wasn't ready for it at the time.

Old 06-11-2023, 02:08 PM   #42
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

i'm glad that story had a happy ending because i was about 2 b truly angry with u

Old 06-12-2023, 04:06 AM   #43
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
OMG i hated stone roses.. all the way through the 90s. But now, listening to them... so good. Just wasn't ready for it at the time.
I admit when my friend played me the album I thought, "so?" but I did sense there was something. I was drawn in by the artwork and the aesthetic.

When Fools Gold came out, it was hook line and sinker for me. That was it. I was in. Shuffley beat, wah wah guitar, whispered vocals. Nothing else would do. Every band after that seemed to be doing the same thing. I remember when "The Fly" by U2 came out, I thought "even THEY have been listening to the Stone Roses!".

One Love / Something's Burning always takes me back to the summer of 1990, freedom, teenage drinking, wearing Doc Martens and baggy hoodies. Simpler times.

Shame it didn't work out for them after that, if they had released an album in 1991 (pre Nirvana) it could've been very different. But maybe they had their time. Gish was only around the corner!

Old 06-12-2023, 10:20 AM   #44
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Second Coming had its moments

just wish they'd actually finished up the proposed mid-2010s album 'cause Beautiful Thing is a banger

Old 06-12-2023, 10:27 AM   #45
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
Second Coming had its moments

just wish they'd actually finished up the proposed mid-2010s album 'cause Beautiful Thing is a banger
Yeah I was really looking forward to new material from them, was always a fan of Ian Brown's solo work, and that combined with the guitar bass and drums of the Roses would've been epic.

As it was, from what I heard Reni didn't want to make new music, and if you listen to Beautiful Thing it's clearly a loop. So they prob just had the tape running while he was warming up and they used it for the track.

Yeah I like Second Coming. Parts of it I skip (Good Times, Tears) but there's some good stuff. You ever hear the Paul Schroder mixes? Very different!

Old 06-12-2023, 10:33 AM   #46
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

no but i'm interested, though the mixing was never quite an issue for me on that one

the first 4 tracks, Begging You & Love Spreads are the real winners on that one for me

Old 06-12-2023, 11:55 AM   #47
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

I like the structure of the Cure concerts. In the main set, it's mostly deep cuts and new songs. They play only a handful of hits. And then the encores are basically radio-edit singles medleys to gratify the GH crowds.

Old 06-14-2023, 03:06 AM   #48
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Quote:
Yeah I was really looking forward to new material from them, was always a fan of Ian Brown's solo work, and that combined with the guitar bass and drums of the Roses would've been epic.

As it was, from what I heard Reni didn't want to make new music, and if you listen to Beautiful Thing it's clearly a loop. So they prob just had the tape running while he was warming up and they used it for the track.

Yeah I like Second Coming. Parts of it I skip (Good Times, Tears) but there's some good stuff. You ever hear the Paul Schroder mixes? Very different!
They were so good when they toured here in 2013. Pity it turned into a short term thing. The documentary is definitely worth a look.