Old 06-18-2007, 10:09 PM   #212
BrokenGourds
Demi-God

Implosion!

You're the man \nn/p

Old 06-18-2007, 10:10 PM   #213
Effloresce
Banned

Seriously, that might just be the best impressions for an album I've ever read on here, or well, anywhere, in quite some time. Better than what some stupid journalist just trying to write something up could do. Excellent work.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:25 AM   #214
bardy
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Implosion

---

Doomsday Clock

Score: 9

I can easily see this song being a single. It's up-tempo, rocking, and has a catchy chorus. The song (and album) kicks off with the same fill Jimmy plays live and dives into some heavy, dark, distorted guitar. After four bars, yet another track of doubled guitar comes in. Tonally, it almost reminds me of one of the songs off the Ransom soundtrack (Spiders? I get the titles of those all confused), but it's the one with the seriously distorted, near feeding back guitar. If you've heard the 20 seconds from that Warner promo video, you already know what I'm talking about. Pay close attention in that clip to the vocals in the chorus. Not only is it a 2 or 3 part harmony, but each part is also doubled. There's simply an outrageous amount of detail worked into the vocals. I said this already, but it's like there's almost as much attention to detail in the vocals on Zeitgeist as there is attention to the guitar in Siamese Dream.

One minor difference between this recording and the live versions is his vocal delivery... When he sings "ev" in "is EV-eryone afraid?" it's a flatter note than what he sings live. And the vocal delivery is a lot lazier... but don't get me wrong, it suits the song really well.

It struck me that Jimmy's snare tone is very piccolo-like; a lot brighter than other recordings. Part of it is that the drums aren't as buried in the mix as previous albums. Imagine the drum sounds of Life Begins Again, and you're on the right track. I'd imagine he's using his Yamaha Signature snare on a lot of songs, and I haven't played one myself, but it's a steel shell and it probably has the really cutting, sharp tone that you hear on this track. Blah blah blah, drum geek talk.

Speaking of which, the fill that leads into the chorus is a lot like the single stroke roll from the lead-in to the chorus in Quiet. Also, in the lead-ins for the verses, Billy does these bends and plays with the whammy bar and gets this kind of cool discordant sound that reminds me of wailing sirens, which suits the tone of the song. He also has a scooped wah sound on the guitar during the bridge, which sounds cool.

Other than the dense vocals and guitar tone, there aren’t any big surprises here.
now I am scared about the rest of the album

Old 06-20-2007, 12:31 AM   #215
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

You could try thinking for yourself and not reading this stuff.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:48 AM   #216
paranoid
Minion of Satan

yep.. implosion may see it as a 9 and you may see it as a 6.. where as he sees FG+C as a 4 you may see it as a 9. tastes vary.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:58 AM   #217
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Boy
You could try thinking for yourself and not reading this stuff.
that's rich considering you stole this idea from me.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:10 AM   #218
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

his description sounds real accurate to me - he pointed out the lazy vocal delivery, guitar reminiscent of sirens, harmonies

Old 06-20-2007, 02:12 AM   #219
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcm
that's rich considering you stole this idea from me.
who reads what you post anyway, seriously?

Old 06-20-2007, 02:14 AM   #220
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

i'm mostly brief.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:15 AM   #221
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR
his description sounds real accurate to me - he pointed out the lazy vocal delivery, guitar reminiscent of sirens, harmonies
besides the 9, of course.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:19 AM   #222
Implosion
Demi-God

I really think people need to take a deep breath and wait to hear the whole album. The first time I heard Doomsday Clock, it immediately kicked into 7 Shades, which is a superior song, and then to Bleeding the Orchid, which is an amazing song. I didn't play Doomsday Clock, then hit <<| and listen to it 20 more times, pulling my hair out at how disappointing it was. I'd scoff at the people here that were avoiding the Arising songs and TEG single when Machina was on the horizon, but now I kinda see their point.

I might downgrade the 9 to an 8 or 7 in hindsight, especially after this board shitstorm. I'm sorry if I raised everyone's expectations too high. But seriously, people are overreacting. The song has been out for half a day. It's a brainless, rocking opener. Not every song has to change the world. This track definitely has the driest vocals of the lot, but the vocal tracking and effects are prevalent throughout. If people can't handle that, well, god help this board come July 10th.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:25 AM   #223
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

excuses, excuses.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:33 AM   #224
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Implosion
I might downgrade the 9 to an 8 or 7 in hindsight, especially after this board shitstorm.
don't do that, man

Old 06-20-2007, 02:45 AM   #225
Heat6Jones
Demi-God

I disagree with most of the opinions posted about Doomsday Clock and most of Billy Corgan's works with various groups and solo. Machina and The Future Embrace are great albums. Mary Star of the Sea is a very relaxing album. Yeah, Siamese Dream and MCIS are two of the best albums of the 1990s, in my opinion. Adore was better live, but still is an album I can listen to beginning to end without becoming bored.

Perhaps I am an unconditional fan, but not consciously. The only album I had to adjust to like was Gish. Everything else I loved from the first listen to now. Thanks for your review, Implosion. Tarantula and Doomsday Clock has satisfied me. Hopefully the rest of the album maintains that.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:50 AM   #226
Shapan
Socialphobic

if you are an eddie jones fan and not a troll you are awesome.

thinking tfe is a great album negates some of that but not all of them.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:50 AM   #227
Virex Kills
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat6Jones
I disagree with most of the opinions posted about Doomsday Clock and most of Billy Corgan's works with various groups and solo. Machina and The Future Embrace are great albums. Mary Star of the Sea is a very relaxing album. Yeah, Siamese Dream and MCIS are two of the best albums of the 1990s, in my opinion. Adore was better live, but still is an album I can listen to beginning to end without becoming bored.

Perhaps I am an unconditional fan, but not consciously. The only album I had to adjust to like was Gish. Everything else I loved from the first listen to now. Thanks for your review, Implosion. Tarantula and Doomsday Clock has satisfied me. Hopefully the rest of the album maintains that.
I hear ya, except I still dont totally like Gish.

Implosion: seriously, your review was dead on. And I totally agree that the song probably makes more sense in a larger context, especially if you described the lyrics as lazy...to me that indicates that a) it was most likely intended and b) that the rest of the album is different.
And vocal effects? Bring em on. Its always been one of my favorite parts about the Pumpkins - those lines that catch you by surprise. I remember hearing Ava Adore for the first time and loving what they had done with the vocals. I couldnt tell you what was so cool about them now, Im so used to hearing the song...but ya...bring it!

Old 06-20-2007, 02:58 AM   #228
Heat6Jones
Demi-God

Eddie Jones is my all time favorite basketball player. To me, he represents class and overcoming odds. He is comparable to Billy Corgan in that he is, in my opinion, unfairly criticized. They do have their differences though. Eddie Jones' facial hair grows a lot better.

I do love TFE though. I even listen to Strayz.

I hope someone in Asheville has their audio recording device ready. I live in NC and never heard about tickets going on sale

Old 06-20-2007, 03:17 AM   #229
Shapan
Socialphobic

you are fucking awesome even though TFE sucks. im an eddie jones diehard ive been a huge fan since i was a kid. my heat jersey is probably the most worn thing i have, and im just dying for him to get a ring after he helped build two contenders and then got dealt right before both of them won rings.