Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2021, 06:36 AM   #6031
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster
 
VoxUpDoc's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
altho i think the god costumes look dumb, i do get the vibe as well. it makes it more of a concert, in a way

but of course the first two tours where they just wore thrift store button downs were cool too. or all of zwan
Eccentric old dude is a more marketable and relatable aesthetic than androgynous-fester-god.

 
VoxUpDoc is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:49 AM   #6032
eviltimeban
Ownz
 
eviltimeban's Avatar
 
Posts: 992
Default

Its possible he / they had started demoing a guitar based album. But then with lockdown they realised they couldn't record it the way they wanted to, so made a different one (Cyr) instead.

So maybe Vol3 was actually Vol2 and vice verse.

 
eviltimeban is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:01 AM   #6033
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster
 
VoxUpDoc's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
Its possible he / they had started demoing a guitar based album. But then with lockdown they realised they couldn't record it the way they wanted to, so made a different one (Cyr) instead.

So maybe Vol3 was actually Vol2 and vice verse.
Maybe those who've heard it say it's one of the best things he's ever produced, but the fans didn't want it, so it's... just sitting there.

 
VoxUpDoc is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:33 AM   #6034
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 2,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
Its possible he / they had started demoing a guitar based album. But then with lockdown they realised they couldn't record it the way they wanted to, so made a different one (Cyr) instead.

So maybe Vol3 was actually Vol2 and vice verse.
I'm pretty sure he said on Instagram that they completed the album in late 2019/early 2020, before the pandemic hit the United States.

My optimistic take would be that maybe some of the heavier songs would be saved for the MCIS/Machina sequel album. The more realistic take would be that, as usual, Billy tarnished decent songs by thinking he was "edgy" and taking them in the direction they ended up with on CYR. It would certainly fit his MO on albums since the 2000s. Also, he's also mentioned on Instagram and in various interviews how at least a few of these songs started off as heavy riffs.

 
themadcaplaughs is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:04 PM   #6035
Ram27
dumb
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: corgan cult
Posts: 8,803
Default

i honestly don't even give a fuck about heavy pumpkins. he's somewhat proven he can write heavy guitar stuff. i want more stuff like the hummer outro

 
Ram27 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:23 PM   #6036
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Shadaloo's Avatar
 
Location: up on the cross you go little fella
Posts: 2,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Someone discussed this in another thread (or maybe earlier in this one). In the "Return of the Gish Guitar" video, he mentioned how fortuitous it was that he found the guitar as the next album would be a heavy guitar album.

(Billy talking about using guitar on demos for the album that became CYR starts at 6:12. You can also see Billy wearing the green rug earlier in the video):

Good catch, thanks for the reminder.

A few of the Cyr tracks are established as having been more DFN/Monuments era leftovers though. I wouldn't be surprised if they scrapped the guitar heavy stuff when they decided to do a "contemporary-sounding" record, or put it on hold for the next one. There's lots of precedent for stuff like that happening with things like STRTJ or LMGTWTY.

He always, always opens his mouth too soon about the ideas that come into his mind, things he wants to do. Currently we're at "Shiny Vol.3" as some sort of psychedelic rock experience and the MCIS/Machina followup...I feel like if that's not the guitar-heavy album - because I'm positive they'll both be combined into one project - nothing will be :/

 
Shadaloo is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:53 PM   #6037
Joey Goldberg
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Joey Goldberg's Avatar
 
Location: in the line for drinks (or is it just tickets to buy the drinks?)
Posts: 4,554
Default

next album's going to be actually good and most of you aren't going to like it because you're fucking losers

 
Joey Goldberg is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:54 PM   #6038
Joey Goldberg
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Joey Goldberg's Avatar
 
Location: in the line for drinks (or is it just tickets to buy the drinks?)
Posts: 4,554
Default

jk i love you all dearly

 
Joey Goldberg is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:54 PM   #6039
Joey Goldberg
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Joey Goldberg's Avatar
 
Location: in the line for drinks (or is it just tickets to buy the drinks?)
Posts: 4,554
Default

yes, even you

 
Joey Goldberg is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:26 PM   #6040
Green Eyes
Pledge
 
Location: Sweden
Posts: 249
Default

Thank you.

 
Green Eyes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:05 PM   #6041
Run To Me
Minion of Satan
 
Run To Me's Avatar
 
Location: Living in a Super 8 down by the interstate
Posts: 6,791
Default

For the love of ffs wish he’d just get in a room with some pedals with jim and james and just jam. Just give us a loose record of jams, just crank it out. If he wants to honk into an sm58 go for it, just put it below the music and you’ll like the way u look

I Guarantee It

 
Run To Me is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:13 PM   #6042
buzzard
Minion of Satan
 
buzzard's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,667
Default

Does he ever talk about the music he's listening to / whether he does any of that?

(It doesn't count if there's a business relationship.)

 
buzzard is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:29 PM   #6043
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 3,007
Default

Judging by how badly Cyr sold he should just quit

Nobody cares Billy

 
ninsp is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:46 PM   #6044
Ram27
dumb
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: corgan cult
Posts: 8,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Good catch, thanks for the reminder.

A few of the Cyr tracks are established as having been more DFN/Monuments era leftovers though. I wouldn't be surprised if they scrapped the guitar heavy stuff when they decided to do a "contemporary-sounding" record, or put it on hold for the next one. There's lots of precedent for stuff like that happening with things like STRTJ or LMGTWTY.

He always, always opens his mouth too soon about the ideas that come into his mind, things he wants to do. Currently we're at "Shiny Vol.3" as some sort of psychedelic rock experience and the MCIS/Machina followup...I feel like if that's not the guitar-heavy album - because I'm positive they'll both be combined into one project - nothing will be :/
there's some great butch vig quote about how if you try to sound modern eventually it'll sound dated, but if you just record naturally it'll sound timeless

 
Ram27 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:07 AM   #6045
Joey Goldberg
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Joey Goldberg's Avatar
 
Location: in the line for drinks (or is it just tickets to buy the drinks?)
Posts: 4,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Judging by how badly Cyr sold he should just quit

Nobody cares Billy
he really just needs to stop trying to compete with Dua Lipa or whatever the point of dogshit like "CYR" is, tbh

bring the RAWK billy

or at least, you know, shit that doesn't fucking BLOW DOGGY DICKS

 
Joey Goldberg is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:08 AM   #6046
Joey Goldberg
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Joey Goldberg's Avatar
 
Location: in the line for drinks (or is it just tickets to buy the drinks?)
Posts: 4,554
Default

hootie hoo!!!!!!!!!!


 
Joey Goldberg is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:09 AM   #6047
Joey Goldberg
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Joey Goldberg's Avatar
 
Location: in the line for drinks (or is it just tickets to buy the drinks?)
Posts: 4,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
there's some great butch vig quote about how if you try to sound modern eventually it'll sound dated, but if you just record naturally it'll sound timeless
boy ain't that the truth

unfortunately you still get a couple "neandertals" calling shit like SD & Adore dated

which quite honestly is grounds enough to be sent away to a special island and, quite frankly, done away with in a very special way!

 
Joey Goldberg is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:36 AM   #6048
eviltimeban
Ownz
 
eviltimeban's Avatar
 
Posts: 992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
i want more stuff like the hummer outro
Abso-fucking-lutely. There's been barely any of that since the reunion. *Some* of the Zeitgeist extra tracks and the odd bit of IAGW hinted at that. But there's been none of that clean-delay-Strat-noodling that we know and love. And sure throw in some soft sighing vocals while you're at it.

 
eviltimeban is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:58 AM   #6049
TheAlter
Ownz
 
TheAlter's Avatar
 
Location: Purple house on N. Greenview Ave Chicago, the year is 1993
Posts: 624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
Abso-fucking-lutely. There's been barely any of that since the reunion. *Some* of the Zeitgeist extra tracks and the odd bit of IAGW hinted at that. But there's been none of that clean-delay-Strat-noodling that we know and love. And sure throw in some soft sighing vocals while you're at it.
That was 28 years ago. He isn't even the same guitarist anymore. It's sad but the chances he's going to deliver some hummer-level music at this point are pretty slim, imo.

 
TheAlter is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:21 AM   #6050
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 1,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
he really just needs to stop trying to compete with Dua Lipa or whatever the point of dogshit like "CYR" is, tbh

bring the RAWK billy

or at least, you know, shit that doesn't fucking BLOW DOGGY DICKS
Billy trying to compete with Dua Lipa or whatever sounds like a big budget Sisters of Mercy comeback album so RAWK would probably sound like Def Leppard

 
incubator is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:23 PM   #6051
Joey Goldberg
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Joey Goldberg's Avatar
 
Location: in the line for drinks (or is it just tickets to buy the drinks?)
Posts: 4,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
Billy trying to compete with Dua Lipa or whatever sounds like a big budget Sisters of Mercy comeback album so RAWK would probably sound like Def Leppard
he brought Tommy Lee on for Monuments so I can't say you're on the wrong track

still though

still

 
Joey Goldberg is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:24 PM   #6052
pinetree
Demi-God
 
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
he really just needs to stop trying to compete with Dua Lipa or whatever the point of dogshit like "CYR" is, tbh

bring the RAWK billy

or at least, you know, shit that doesn't fucking BLOW DOGGY DICKS
next record should be titled BLOW DOGGY DICKS

but he'd probably even fuck that up and call it BLOW DOGGY DYX

or FOR DOGGY DICKS HATH BLOWN EVERMORE

 
pinetree is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:26 PM   #6053
Disco King
Minion of Satan
 
Disco King's Avatar
 
Location: Banned
Posts: 7,910
Default

Do people really want Corgan to "bring the rawk?" What was the last good heavy Pumpkins songs? It must have been on Zeitgeist. Since then, the tolerable SP songs have mostly been the more restrained ones. When he tries to write a heavy, riff-rocking spiritual successor to "Bullet," we just get "Solara."

He should just write more songs like "Oceania." That one wasn't bad.

 
Disco King is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:58 PM   #6054
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Shadaloo's Avatar
 
Location: up on the cross you go little fella
Posts: 2,372
Default

I feel like the last heavy SP song that got any kind of positive response was Marchin' On. Prior to that, As Rome Burns.

 
Shadaloo is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:31 PM   #6055
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 3,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
I feel like the last heavy SP song that got any kind of positive response was Marchin' On. Prior to that, As Rome Burns.
Marchin On was only good because of his vocals. One and All would’ve been great had he not sang so poorly, same goes for Tiberius.

 
ninsp is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:33 PM   #6056
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 3,007
Default

I also fucking love Tarantula but I know that’s a hot take

 
ninsp is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:43 PM   #6057
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 3,007
Default

Just relistened to Wyttch
What a turd

 
ninsp is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:03 PM   #6058
pinetree
Demi-God
 
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
I also fucking love Tarantula but I know that’s a hot take
I love fucking tarantulas, i guess that's a hot take too

 
pinetree is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:23 AM   #6059
eviltimeban
Ownz
 
eviltimeban's Avatar
 
Posts: 992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Do people really want Corgan to "bring the rawk?" What was the last good heavy Pumpkins songs? It must have been on Zeitgeist. Since then, the tolerable SP songs have mostly been the more restrained ones. When he tries to write a heavy, riff-rocking spiritual successor to "Bullet," we just get "Solara."

He should just write more songs like "Oceania." That one wasn't bad.
No not the rawk, or if there is rawk, it's tempered with some softer moments.

I'd like the dreamy, wistful, feminine-side stuff to come back. But Billy isn't that person anymore.

 
eviltimeban is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:20 PM   #6060
O'Doyle Rules
Demi-God
 
O'Doyle Rules's Avatar
 
Posts: 385
Default


 
O'Doyle Rules is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So when is Jimmy coming back? Elphenor Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 42 08-06-2021 01:57 PM
There should be magnet linked torrents on spfc.org to demos, etc. CrabbMan Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 646 04-18-2021 10:17 AM
Billy's weight gain ohnoitsbonnie Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 55 05-09-2018 07:38 AM
An album between Siamese Dream and MCIS with the Gravity songs would've been amazing. BurtSampson Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 41 09-17-2016 12:31 PM
Billy Corgan should unite with Buckethead morespsoon Pumpkins Archive 16 02-28-2007 03:51 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 PM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2020