Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
???
Minion of Satan

Arrow the mp3 debate

are we ever going to wean ourselves off digital piracy and illegal filesharing and go back to buying records like we used to. we all take advantage of mp3, but it is ultimately commercially degenerate and its also seriously eroding the standards by which we listen to music. so what can we do about it. mp3 is useful for sampling new and obscure music but filesharing entire releases seems virtually impossible to combat. i don't think it can stay this way forever though, something has to change.

ps. who cut the board in half

Old 01-08-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
BumbleBeeMouth
Apocalyptic Poster

just wait for the flac to leak

Old 01-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
???
Minion of Satan

omg; u clevr

Old 01-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
TheMilstead
Minion of Satan

Who knows...since Radiohead sold In Rainbows in FLAC, maybe other bands will try to copy that.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
???
Minion of Satan

i think it'll definitely take off to start with, even remain a permanent option but flac still won't compare in quality to physical records. i don't understand why people seem to have this inherent need to compress and condense music and other media into their simplest form. mp3/flac etc is the ultimate 1-dimensional music experience. one might argue that albums etc are arbitrary shackles placed upon bands and we expect them to make whole records, but whilst there is some truth in that, virtually any artist who's good is going to want to make complete albums and people are going to want to hear them. there's so little appreciation these days for records as cohesive, broader works of art and that really upsets me.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
The Gaddrow
Minion of Satan

Smile

With the exception of several "iTunes exclusive" releases, I have never and never will pay for lossy audio and don't understand why anyone would.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
???
Minion of Satan

yeah why pay when you can steal it.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

I still buy CDs if I like the album enough, or vinyl if I love them...or it is cheap enough. Mp3s aren't as bad as people make them out to be, I think people discover more music by having it so easily available, even if it is slightly lossy.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #9
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ??? View Post
i think it'll definitely take off to start with, even remain a permanent option but flac still won't compare in quality to physical records,
are we really going to have the cd vs vinyl debate AGAIN?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #10
redbull
Immortal

also, you guys are dumb; filesharing is never going to stop.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:16 PM   #11
Warsaw
Minion of Satan

I wish DVD audio would have taken off. I suppose it's still possible.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #12
???
Minion of Satan

perhaps the easiest solution would be to just sell albums for much cheaper. imagine new albums selling for about $10 or £5 a piece. they're so cheap to produce anyway. people who buy less records now still go to record shops to look around, and if records were selling at a reasonable price like that and not £20 each, they would think "what have i got to lose?" and get it. i suppose In Rainbows kindof provides the evidence here- its selling at an average of about £5 and there have been over a million downloads. their business model works because people have found a price most can agree on. there's no reason why that couldn't work in the shops as well as on the internet.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:38 PM   #13
trev
charm

i don't know what your crapping on about.

people still buy vinyl, cd's, cassettes, etc. people still steal them too. only thing that's changed is now they are trying to sell inferior quality music (lossy) as well.

i don't know why people think that piracy and file sharing is costing money to the industry. the people mostly using these methods were never going to buy that music at retail price anyway!

if i want a CD, i'll buy it, i won't download it. if i don't really want a CD, i might download it for the hell of it, but it isn't taking away a sale. there never was going to be a sale.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 PM   #14
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev View Post
if i don't really want a CD, i might download it for the hell of it, but it isn't taking away a sale. there never was going to be a sale.
thats a good way to look at it

Old 01-08-2008, 11:10 PM   #15
xyumachine
Ownz

I still buy CDs on a monthly basis. As a matter of fact, I bought more CDs last year than any other year. I haven't bought any mp3s and will continue not buying them. I use mp3s for sampling music and determine if it's worth buying.

Inferior quality is not worth spending money on. I think that 99 cents for one song should be worth a lossless version than a mp3 version. The music industry found an avenue to sell music in less than stellar quality and offer no alternatives in regards to format.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:04 AM   #16
monkeyfritters
Minion of Satan

http://mine.icanhascheezburger.com/c...0932031250.jpg

Old 01-09-2008, 12:06 AM   #17
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfritters View Post
i can has radiohead?

Old 01-09-2008, 12:10 AM   #18
monkeyfritters
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
i can has radiohead?
http://mine.icanhascheezburger.com/c...2335468750.jpg

Old 01-09-2008, 12:12 AM   #19
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfritters View Post
why is this so funny to me

Old 01-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #20
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

why do you keep repeating the same premises without thinking about 1. whether they apply for all of us 2. whether they apply at all. it's thesis -> argument -> example. seriously eroding the standards by which we listen to music. what the hell. i love music more than pretty much anything in the world and i listen almost exclusively to mp3s.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #21
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

Quote:
there's so little appreciation these days for records as cohesive, broader works of art and that really upsets me.
i hate this argument. albums weren't seen as "cohesive, broader works" until the 60s really. and again, it's not true in my individual case.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #22
rolmos
Apocalyptic Poster

I think the filesharing problem will be "solved" by the ISPs. I don't see unlimited broadband in the future, I imagine internet access being sold by Gb, like in cell phones. Many countries already limit monthly downloads to 3 Gb for example.

The average non downloader will have lower prices, and the Bittorrenters will be forced to pay higher fees. This will also solve the "problem" with the current non existent preference for large companies online in comparison to the average everyday blogger.

mp3's and aac will still be around for a while.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #23
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

the more commercial isps already all have 'fair usage policies' as they put it, and have done for a while, other isps will just take advantage of that and advertise that they have no download limits

Old 01-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #24
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Most people cannot even tell the difference between an mp3 and a high quality lossless file.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #25
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristHimself! View Post
the more commercial isps already all have 'fair usage policies' as they put it, and have done for a while, other isps will just take advantage of that and advertise that they have no download limits
yes, this has all happened before.

of course the state could still intervene and raise taxes on downloads for example. rather horrible and unlikely scenario though.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #26
Mo
Immortal

Smile

Quote:
are we ever going to wean ourselves off digital piracy and illegal filesharing and go back to buying records like we used to. we all take advantage of mp3, but it is ultimately commercially degenerate and its also seriously eroding the standards by which we listen to music. so what can we do about it. mp3 is useful for sampling new and obscure music but filesharing entire releases seems virtually impossible to combat. i don't think it can stay this way forever though, something has to change.

ps. who cut the board in half
Do you refuse to use question marks for a reason? Because of your user name?

Old 01-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #27
aurel
Apocalyptic Poster

???

Old 01-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #28
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

thanks for your insight, "aurel"
Plus it smells like cinnamon, which is an added bonus that you don't get with electricity.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #29
aurel
Apocalyptic Poster

insight you say.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #30
Pretzel Logic
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I agree. I constantly argue with people against mp3. Let's face it. mp3 is the future of music and so are digital music stores. People are so indifferent that they accept 128 kbps audio and pay 99 cents a song for it. Digital music devalues physical music. No more album artwork, no more liner notes, no more case. Just a file on your computer and a low quality one at that. I can see people illegally downloading as a way to stick it to the digital music industry, but just illegally downloading because you can is not right. Everyone should just start buying CDs again.