huh

Default D’Arcy Carden on the Pumpkins

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/what-...-to-right-now/

Pretty spot on analysis imo

Old 03-02-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
I put an apostrophe in my name that wasn’t there before, like Smashing Pumpkins bassist D’Arcy Wretzky, because of how influential this band was to me. D’Arcy was just the epitome of cool to me. In 1993, I was really into alternative and grunge music, and whereas the Nirvanas and the Pearl Jams felt so masculine, there was something sweeter and lighter about Smashing Pumpkins. The fact that they had a girl in their band was huge for me and my friends. I learned the guitar part to “Today,” and it made me feel like such a badass. It was like, “Wow, I can play guitar!” But, of course, anybody can play the beginning of “Today.”

Billy Corgan has one of those voices to me where—and this is gonna sound like an insult but I truly mean it as a compliment—it’s like, why the hell did he think he could be the lead singer of a band? His voice is so weird, and I’m sure there was a choir teacher or some asshole friend who was like, “You don’t have a good voice.” Yet he continued to sing. And I’m glad he did, because he made all these really good songs.

At this point, like a lot of people, I have a love-hate relationship with Smashing Pumpkins. I love the music, but the more I learn about the people behind the music, it’s harder. But that is the case with a lot of the art that we love. There are so many things from your teen and pre-teen years you were obsessed with and absorbed every bit of and then, later on, you’re like, “Oh no! That guy’s an asshole.”

Old 03-02-2019, 10:39 AM   #3
buzzard
Minion of Satan

"Analysis" is an awfully strong word for what I just read.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:41 AM   #4
T&T
Socialphobic

That guy’s an asshole

Old 03-02-2019, 11:33 AM   #5
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

A local TV-star?

What “The Good Place” Star D’Arcy Carden Is Listening To Right Now

https://media.pitchfork.com/photos/5...yCarden_LD.jpg

Old 03-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
coolstorybro
Pledge

Great read, thanks for sharing

Old 03-02-2019, 11:51 AM   #7
Eulogy
huh

D’Arcy Carden has brought more joy into the world than anything Billy Corgan has done since 2005.

Are there still people who don’t watch the good place

Old 03-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #8
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolstorybro View Post
Great read, thanks for sharing
Cool user name/post combo bro

Old 03-02-2019, 12:20 PM   #9
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

https://www.topdreamer.com/wp-conten...glasses-16.jpg

Old 03-02-2019, 07:47 PM   #10
fuzzyroes
Banned

It's always funny when celebrities weigh in on the Pumpkins. The comedian Owen Benjamin mentioned them a few days ago in his live stream. I cued up the moment

Old 03-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #11
FoolofaTook

https://www.topdreamer.com/wp-conten...glasses-16.jpg

Old 03-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #12
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Billy Corgan has one of those voices to me where—and this is gonna sound like an insult but I truly mean it as a compliment—it’s like, why the hell did he think he could be the lead singer of a band? His voice is so weird, and I’m sure there was a choir teacher or some asshole friend who was like, “You don’t have a good voice.” Yet he continued to sing. And I’m glad he did, because he made all these really good songs.
or, ya know, his dad-o

(but i share her sentiment)

Old 03-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #13
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
"The fact that they had a girl in their band was huge for me and my friends. I learned the guitar part to “Today,” and it made me feel like such a badass. It was like, “Wow, I can play guitar!” But, of course, anybody can play the beginning of “Today.”"
And nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww they have Jack Bates... Good going Billy.

When I was a little kid, I hung out with my blonde female cousins who were a year older and a year younger than me and when I'd sit there watching Much Music all day, they'd be enamored with D'arcy and the Pumpkins too.

I don't think Billy realizes how important D'arcy is for onlookers of the band.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:44 PM   #14
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
"There are so many things from your teen and pre-teen years you were obsessed with and absorbed every bit of and then, later on, you’re like, “Oh no! That guy’s an asshole.” "
Honestly, I never understand this criticism of Billy.... It's like "really, you didn't know Billy Corgan was an asshole before"? Anybody who is surprised by this clearly wasn't paying attention in the 90's. I was like 10 years old and I was aware that everyone thought Billy was an asshole.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:42 PM   #15
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Honestly, I never understand this criticism of Billy.... It's like "really, you didn't know Billy Corgan was an asshole before"? Anybody who is surprised by this clearly wasn't paying attention in the 90's. I was like 10 years old and I was aware that everyone thought Billy was an asshole.

I am confused by this as well. I thought he was always considered an asshole. I guess you were allowed to be an asshole in the 90s though.

Corgan also has to deal with the fact that SP was marketed heavily as a band. They had a lot of videos that got a lot of airplay and they all featured pretty distinct looking indivudals. You had a bald guy, a girl, and an Asian guy. Unfortunately, the general music fan probably did not pay much attention to jimmy. Although Corgan did most of the heavy lifting, it wasn’t like a NIN situation where you could replace someone and a casual fan wouldn’t have a clue. But with SP it was clear James and D’arcy were gone.

When Corgan brought the band back with just jimmy and most of the public just assumed it was him alone (and then it was him alone), I guess his assholeness was paid more attention to.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:52 AM   #16
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wounded View Post
I am confused by this as well. I thought he was always considered an asshole. I guess you were allowed to be an asshole in the 90s though.

Corgan also has to deal with the fact that SP was marketed heavily as a band. They had a lot of videos that got a lot of airplay and they all featured pretty distinct looking indivudals. You had a bald guy, a girl, and an Asian guy. Unfortunately, the general music fan probably did not pay much attention to jimmy. Although Corgan did most of the heavy lifting, it wasn’t like a NIN situation where you could replace someone and a casual fan wouldn’t have a clue. But with SP it was clear James and D’arcy were gone.

When Corgan brought the band back with just jimmy and most of the public just assumed it was him alone (and then it was him alone), I guess his assholeness was paid more attention to.
Yeah, When I was a kid, the band was essentially Billy, James and D'arcy. I didn't even pay any mind that Jimmy was gone for Adore (but I did notice somewhat musically as I thought the record sucked. I had bought it and then promptly turned it in for trade- me and my family would always visit this 2nd hand music shop), but I sure as hell noticed when D'arcy was gone in 2000.

I think people are just more divided and sensitive today though. Rock stars would do and say crass things and people wouldn't give a damn, if it happened today it would be nothing but attacks on the artists though.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:31 AM   #17
Eulogy
huh

There’s being an asshole and then there’s being an asshole who goes on infowars. Big difference.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #18
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
There’s being an asshole and then there’s being an asshole who goes on infowars. Big difference.
True. The dude definitely doesn’t do himself any favors.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #19
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

uh it's not just that he went on infowars. post-2000 Billy Corgan was constantly behaving shitty to everyone without having the redeeming qualities he used to have.

post-2000 is also the age of the internet much moreso than before admittedly, billy showcases his behaviour much easier and more directly than before and the people who had to deal with his shit also have much easier ways of telling about it

Old 03-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #20
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wounded View Post
Hmmmm im sure it’s impossible to quantify (and you can keep that “most,” probably) but i imagine bills shamelessly cynical move of hiring a blondie and an Asian dude to replace the prior blondie and Asian dude fooled a few of the casuals, right?

Old 03-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #21
run2pee
Minion of Satan

That to me was the grossest part of the events of 2003-2006

We have this amazing potential, this incredible live powerhouse writing all these timeless, exciting new songs, then....msots. Then....they break up

Then....the future embrace

Then.....renew revive my dream of being famous etc etc

And he comes roaring back with....ethnic/gendered stand-ins for D’arcy and James?!?! Gross, bill

Old 03-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #22
FoolofaTook

shamelessly cynical = shamelessly misogynistic and racist

Old 03-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #23
FoolofaTook

o nvm i just saw your second post.

carry on.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:08 PM   #24
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Oh for godssake. He said nothing controversial on those broadcasts. Get over it

Old 03-03-2019, 10:08 PM   #25
LaBelle
Socialphobic

The Good Place is the good show

Old 03-04-2019, 04:53 PM   #26
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
https://media.giphy.com/media/3xz2BK...Lmec/giphy.gif

Also, I don't watch The Good Place, but D'arcy Carden is hilarious on Broad City.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MajorMiser...restricted.gif

Old 03-04-2019, 05:02 PM   #27
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

who

Old 03-04-2019, 07:29 PM   #28
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

Quote:
His presence on the show adds validity to Alex Jones, which is contemptible. It also tells the sane part of the world what a joke SP is in 2019, which is sad.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #29
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
No. Fuck off.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:40 PM   #30
TuralyonW3
Immortal

The good place is amazing and she's probably the best character. I think, along with Seinfeld, it's my favorite network comedy of all time.