Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2022, 10:51 PM   #61
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

I heard Ramona get played on a local radio station in 2021 while I was getting my haircut once.

It was a bizarre experience. I was shocked to hear a post-2000 SP track on the radio to begin with, but why that one? And why did I have to be in this captive state of having my haircut, unable turn off the music?

Ramona is one of the 4 or 5 Cyr tracks I cut out.

Old 11-30-2022, 10:53 PM   #62
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I heard two Cyr tracks at the gym when the album first came out. I remember desperately hoping nobody would connect the Pumpkins gym tee I was wearing to what was playing on the screen and over the speakers.

Old 11-30-2022, 11:48 PM   #63
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: a melting apocalyptic jungle bleeding out of me like a dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I heard two Cyr tracks at the gym when the album first came out. I remember desperately hoping nobody would connect the Pumpkins gym tee I was wearing to what was playing on the screen and over the speakers.
the same thing happened to me once with being beige

Old 12-01-2022, 12:55 AM   #64
paranoid
Minion of Satan

i love how some of you can take something that's positive and turn it into a negative. like it reminds me of my mother, whenever something good happens she finds the negative in it.

but as far as hot 100 singles (not rock charts), have the pumpkins EVER cracked the top 10?

Old 12-01-2022, 01:05 AM   #65
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

The closest they ever came was 1979 reaching #12 on the Hot 100 which is not easy to do. For comparisons sake, Snells Like Teen Spirit peaked at #6 on the same chart.

Old 12-01-2022, 01:11 AM   #66
run2pee
Minion of Satan

When u congested ebrything snells the sname

Old 12-01-2022, 03:15 AM   #67
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Few rock bands that any of us would want to actually listen to crack the Hot 100 these days. Rock lost its cultural relevance due to a number of factors few of which have anything to do with the genre itself. SP getting to 9 or 10 on the Rock chart is still a decent achievement in this day and age especially for a band this far removed from its prime.
Except it is not the rock charts, but the rock airplay charts. Airplay being the key word. Also, going back to charts dated November 12th, Luminate began incorporating Mediabase data into their calculations when it comes to Billboard charts, further muddying up these already pointless airplay charts. Payola run these charts.

All it means were this many people happened to be listening at the time Beguiled was played on the radio. The more times it's played at hours when the most people are listening in, the more impressions it has. It doesn't equate to people actually seeking out the song, or even liking it, nor does it mean people bought or streamed the song. It just means Beguiled has someone behind it pushing the song to be played on the radio at peak listener hours.

For example, Solara actually charted in Alternative digital song sales at #16, Cyr at #23, and Beguiled reached #20. So even though Beguiled was much higher on airplay charts compared to Solara, Solara actually sold more. Solara also charted at #22 in rock song sales, Cyr at #21, whereas Beguiled hasn't charted in rock song sales. Even funnier, We Only Come Out At Night charted in 2020, #19 in Alternative digital song sales and #20 in rock digital song sales.

Billboard 200 uses actual album sales, track sales, and streams. Hot 100 uses sales, streams, and airplay.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 12-01-2022 at 03:54 AM.

Old 12-01-2022, 03:27 AM   #68
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaldust View Post
It seems silly to belabor the point with you that this is their biggest, most popular song in 15 years and how that is a very good thing for the band at this point in their career.
Still a far cry from “a level of popularity and success suggestive of wide commercial appeal… the song is working, working extremely well…an incredible feat for SP at this stage of things. That opens many doors, opportunities, directions.”

Fuck this is the equivalent of posting wounded D’arcy trying to discredit her. I think you should apologize, again.

Last edited by TheAlter : 12-01-2022 at 03:38 AM.

Old 12-01-2022, 03:55 AM   #69
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
i love how some of you can take something that's positive and turn it into a negative. like it reminds me of my mother, whenever something good happens she finds the negative in it.
Paranoid: Ma! Look at this new guitar I bought it’s a bølly corgan model!
Ma: Good Lawd, it sucks and I paid for it, you ungrateful little chump.

Your ma is right.

Old 12-01-2022, 04:05 AM   #70
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveIsSuicide42 View Post
Ramona is one of the 4 or 5 Cyr tracks I cut out.
The vox down version transforms this song into something listenable.

Old 12-01-2022, 04:13 AM   #71
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

I also noticed Beguiled and ATUM - Act 1 release pages now say the copyright is Martha's Music marketed and distributed by Thirty Tigers

Thirty Tigers is a Nashville based entertainment company, founded in 2001 by Grammy Award-winning producer David Macias and Deb Markland. In just over a decade, Thirty Tigers has gone from two employees working out of David’s guest bedroom to thirty employees, most of whom now work out of our Wedgewood-Houston office in Nashville, Tennessee. Thirty Tigers also has offices in Los Angeles, New York, North Carolina and London. Our collective experience in the music industry ranges from record retail to the film industry to major labels.

https://www.thirtytigers.com/about-us

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 12-01-2022 at 04:19 AM.

Old 12-01-2022, 04:15 AM   #72
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

one time someone caught me playing a post-2008 SP song and it was extremely embarrassing.. I'll never do that again

Old 12-01-2022, 08:24 AM   #73
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Beguiled has 3.3m streams on Spotify.

Ramona has 2.6.

Solara has 5.8.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:56 AM   #74
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

The lame-ass chugging was probably enough for Solara and Beguiled to make it to some lame-ass rock playlist.

Hardly a case of 1mil people listening to it 3 times on purpose.

Old 12-01-2022, 11:56 AM   #75
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Why Ramona? Color of Love is better

Old 12-01-2022, 12:24 PM   #76
Ram27
dumb

i'm frankly annoyed anything on CYR got past 6 digits

Old 12-01-2022, 03:42 PM   #77
absof
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
Beguiled has 3.3m streams on Spotify.

Ramona has 2.6.

Solara has 5.8.
How do you get these stats?

Old 12-01-2022, 03:46 PM   #78
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by absof View Post
How do you get these stats?
Inside man at Spotify HQ

Old 12-01-2022, 03:48 PM   #79
absof
Demi-God

I see.

Old 12-01-2022, 03:53 PM   #80
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
Paranoid: Ma! Look at this new guitar I bought it’s a bølly corgan model!
Ma: Good Lawd, it sucks and I paid for it, you ungrateful little chump.

Your ma is right.
I know I’m a total left wing liberal, but contrary to the usual tropes I do work and pay for my own shit.

With you being right wing, I don’t expect you to have the intellectual capacity to understand that, so it’s all good.

Old 12-01-2022, 05:19 PM   #81
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Still a far cry from “a level of popularity and success suggestive of wide commercial appeal… the song is working, working extremely well…an incredible feat for SP at this stage of things. That opens many doors, opportunities, directions.”

Fuck this is the equivalent of posting wounded D’arcy trying to discredit her. I think you should apologize, again.
The more people listening to the song the more commercial appeal it has. A top 10 song on any fucking chart means that appeal is fucking wide. It does not matter how they are listening to it or why. The mechanisms behind the selection of what is played and what is not on the radio are based around a network of decisions from many different sectors of the music business. If your song is being played a lot, that means you have found a way inside those mechanisms in a manner suggestive of fucking success.

Are you seriously the person that should be bringing up old posts from other people on this board? Hasn't there been...you know, some stuff, that should keep you from provoking people like that?

By the way, how is being a bigot going for you lately?

Old 12-01-2022, 05:58 PM   #82
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaldust View Post
The more people listening to the song the more commercial appeal it has. A top 10 song on any fucking chart means that appeal is fucking wide. It does not matter how they are listening to it or why. The mechanisms behind the selection of what is played and what is not on the radio are based around a network of decisions from many different sectors of the music business. If your song is being played a lot, that means you have found a way inside those mechanisms in a manner suggestive of fucking success.

Are you seriously the person that should be bringing up old posts from other people on this board? Hasn't there been...you know, some stuff, that should keep you from provoking people like that?

By the way, how is being a bigot going for you lately?
Thing is it takes immeasurably less to get a n.10 on that old-timers chart than what it takes to get a n.30 on proper bangers charts. It's not an "incredible feat that'll open many doors, opportunities, directions!". You were simply being over-enthusiastic.

I also have no idea what you're talking about when you say there's been "some stuff". But seriously, hasn't there been...you know, THAT stuff, that should keep you from provoking people like that?

Old 12-01-2022, 06:04 PM   #83
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

seeing these numbers & being reminded that Nickelback is still a thing really reminds me of the Garth Brooks situation - you may meet a fan or two of his every now & then if you live in the south or rural area, but to account for the absurd amounts he sells both album & concert-ticket-wise you can only imagine these people are hiding somewhere, emerging only occasionally to crawl out to the nearest Wal-Mart for the latest GB release. like cockroaches putting up numbers for this shit. there are ATUM cockroaches

Old 12-01-2022, 06:21 PM   #84
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

There are those who get misty-eyed whenever they hear Photograph and those who lie.

Old 12-01-2022, 06:54 PM   #85
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Thing is it takes immeasurably less to get a n.10 on that old-timers chart than what it takes to get a n.30 on proper bangers charts. It's not an "incredible feat that'll open many doors, opportunities, directions!"
Yes it is.

The market orients itself with the market it selects. The market selected is often a result of what the market pushes.

You are right it takes less to be in rock/alternative top 10 vs. top 30 "proper bangers" (which I assume you mean the hot 100 or something like it). But the fact remains that SP hadn't had a top 10 rock/alternative since 2007, which is an incredible feat considering their history / output over that span of time.

Old 12-01-2022, 06:54 PM   #86
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

Tired: Garth Brooks' 137th regular tour
Wired: Chris Gaines' comeback tour
Inspired: Chris Gaines/hologram Garth Brooks onstage duet

Old 12-01-2022, 06:54 PM   #87
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I also have no idea what you're talking about when you say there's been "some stuff". But seriously, hasn't there been...you know, THAT stuff, that should keep you from provoking people like that?
Oh I meant that time that you defended hate speech about gay people.

Old 12-01-2022, 07:26 PM   #88
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Wait, no no no, let's discuss the Gaines/Brooks collab

Old 12-01-2022, 11:11 PM   #89
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Looks like they’re running the Beguiled ad on Facebook again. Just popped up in my feed. Looks like a new ad, no comments and 1.5k views so far. The first ad had people roasting the hell out of the video and the song. Joe Blow on Facebook was definitely not feeling the outfit Corgan had on.

Old 12-01-2022, 11:50 PM   #90
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

well by god, it's a big hit, a bonafide Pumpkin classic - why wouldn't they?

play their socials right this could be remembered as 1979's even hotter sister! The Winter of Beguiled & [name of new Nickelback & Bush songs] is what I'll be looking back on this one as, as I'm sure it'll be written in Corgo's ever-evolving memoir and late night Christmas celebrations from here & onward

gosh come on everybody let's have a beguiled christmas!