Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2020, 06:27 PM   #121
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Billy can't actually play guitar; it was all a character

There was a tech offstage playing all the parts. Same for Jimmy

D'Arcy is actually a great bassist, funnily enough
We all know D'Arcy is a Champion Level bassist

Old 10-25-2020, 06:48 PM   #122
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
"Stop living in the past. I'm not going to release Siamese Dream II.

"Anyway, here's Machina III: MCIS 2."
God I hope that’s the album title

Old 10-25-2020, 08:39 PM   #123
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Official title is:
MCIS: Return of the Sadness, Machina III, Vol. 1

Old 10-25-2020, 08:45 PM   #124
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
Yeah, I don't think D'Arcy was big fan of Adore.
She was actually. In the Ultrasound MTV special before the release of Adore she talks about how Billy wrote some of the most beautiful songs she has ever heard for the album. It seemed to be Machina she had more of an issue with with Billy trying to be Marilyn Manson and doing a concept album and wearing the gaultier and all that shit.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:54 PM   #125
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

yes, this thread confirmed why i didn't bother to listen to the great WPC recount memories from 1994-1997.

via GIFER

Old 10-25-2020, 09:00 PM   #126
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
She was actually. In the Ultrasound MTV special before the release of Adore she talks about how Billy wrote some of the most beautiful songs she has ever heard for the album. It seemed to be Machina she had more of an issue with with Billy trying to be Marilyn Manson and doing a concept album and wearing the gaultier and all that shit.
I'll have to find that one. I remember during the making of Adore there was an interview with D'Arcy where she expressed some reservation at using electronic elements instead of traditional instruments, and seemed just generally laissez faire to whole thing, but I guess she liked it once it was completed

Old 10-26-2020, 02:58 AM   #127
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think D'Arcy was big fan of Adore.
She talked pretty specifically about how Billy’s songwriting for Adore was some of the most impressive, most beautiful music he ever wrote.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:47 AM   #128
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Not denying that now that you guys are pointing it out but she did express some frustration during the recording of the album saying she didn't care for using computers instead of instruments.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #129
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Sexual View Post
yes, this thread confirmed why i didn't bother to listen to the great WPC recount memories from 1994-1997.

via GIFER

My boy Trent knew what was up back then

Old 10-26-2020, 09:56 AM   #130
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

D’Arcy is fairly suspicious of technology. There’s an interview from 1995 where she gripes about people spending too much time on their computers.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:04 AM   #131
Ram27
dumb

d'arcy predicted q

Old 10-26-2020, 11:22 AM   #132
dustrocck
Demi-God

I don't know if you can say Billy is intentionally retconning the band's history with him playing characters.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm not sure if he meant he was literally "in character" during the MCIS run, or else that he was internalizing a bunch of shit and playing a character to keep it together.

If you're on a massive tour playing 3 hour shows every night I can definitely see it.

It is bullshit to say all interviews and things like that were in character, because all the contemporary records have no evidence whatsoever for that.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:32 AM   #133
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

didn't D'arcy go on record as saying Adore should've been a Billy solo album? that's the only real "gripe" i've heard from her on it

Old 10-26-2020, 12:53 PM   #134
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

if Adore were his solo album, it would have been his first and only good solo album

Old 10-26-2020, 12:59 PM   #135
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Old 10-26-2020, 01:22 PM   #136
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
if Adore were his solo album, it would have been his first and only good solo album
It is a solo album, though. We know he write everything and records everything except drums.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:23 PM   #137
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrocck View Post
I don't know if you can say Billy is intentionally retconning the band's history with him playing characters.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm not sure if he meant he was literally "in character" during the MCIS run, or else that he was internalizing a bunch of shit and playing a character to keep it together.

If you're on a massive tour playing 3 hour shows every night I can definitely see it.

It is bullshit to say all interviews and things like that were in character, because all the contemporary records have no evidence whatsoever for that.
I 100% believe that he's always been playing characters to some extent. Maybe not fully fleshed out, named characters but he's always been a "rockstar" behaving in a "rockstar" way.

Quote:
"You hurt me deeply," Corgan says, touching the giant S on his chest and pouting

Old 10-26-2020, 01:58 PM   #138
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

I think MCIS Billy was playing into his teenage thoughts/desires/wants. He was intentionally being juvenile, as he saw it as his last chance to have that kind of grandiose/idealistic/"true self" expression that a teenager would want.

So he was playing a character of his younger self, basically. That's been my understanding for a while. He was in his late 20's but letting his 15-20 year old emotional self take control for the lyrics/themes. I think it was more genuine on SD (especially because songs like Rocket and Silverfuck were already largely written in like 1990 - his early 20s), and he knew it was his last hurrah with that type of material and went all out with it on MCIS.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:33 PM   #139
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
It is a solo album, though. We know he write everything and records everything except drums.
we know that, yes, but there's the simple yet wildly important factor of them actually releasing it under the Pumpkins' name. it'd be like if Scott Weiland had convinced the rest of the band to put out "8 Bar Blues" as an STP record

Old 10-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #140
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
we know that, yes, but there's the simple yet wildly important factor of them actually releasing it under the Pumpkins' name. it'd be like if Scott Weiland had convinced the rest of the band to put out "8 Bar Blues" as an STP record
Except James and D'arcy recorded on Adore. James especially. He even written James tracks during Adore like with Mellon Collie. There's a whole Adore doc with the 3 of them in the studio. If Adore is a solo record, then so is Siamese Dream by your definition. You can clearly hear James atmospheric stuff all over Adore, which, sadly, Billy doesn't seem good at doing.

Kinda funny how Mellon Collie is their best album, yet it's their most band album of them all. 4 people together in a room.

This is gonna be the problem with the sequel album. Billy is never gonna capture that band in a room feeling because there is no band in a room. But with the way Billy records today, we'll be lucky if it sounds like another Zeitgeist album.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:24 PM   #141
dustrocck
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I think MCIS Billy was playing into his teenage thoughts/desires/wants. He was intentionally being juvenile, as he saw it as his last chance to have that kind of grandiose/idealistic/"true self" expression that a teenager would want.

So he was playing a character of his younger self, basically. That's been my understanding for a while. He was in his late 20's but letting his 15-20 year old emotional self take control for the lyrics/themes. I think it was more genuine on SD (especially because songs like Rocket and Silverfuck were already largely written in like 1990 - his early 20s), and he knew it was his last hurrah with that type of material and went all out with it on MCIS.
I never got the character aspect in Gish or SD era. I do recall him saying MCIS was written from the perspective of a teenager and I thought this was the first album with such a structured theme from this band.

I mean, you go from Tristessa and Glynis and Quiet to Zero, Porcelina of the Vast Oceans, Medellia of the Grey Skies so certainly the melodrama is amped up.

Old 10-27-2020, 12:57 AM   #142
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
This is gonna be the problem with the sequel album. Billy is never gonna capture that band in a room feeling because there is no band in a room.
i bet every other record any other band does during quarantine will still manage to be better than this tho

Old 10-27-2020, 01:23 AM   #143
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

In all fairness I think they said they were meeting at a studio to record. At least Billy and Jimmy are

Old 10-27-2020, 01:35 AM   #144
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post

That's totally cool and if he said something like this that would be totally legit. Songs are written from the perspective of a character or type of person all the time. A huge portion of Led Zeppelin songs sound like they're from the point of view of a character on a great pastoral adventure. Many country songs contain storylines, and the list goes on and on. If Billy had specific things in mind like that then it would be cool to hear about. But for whatever reason he seems like he wants to discredit everyone's perception and memories of the band by saying it was all an act.

Old 10-27-2020, 03:00 AM   #145
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Chamberlin has been into the New Age shit for a while now. Probably common amongst ex-addicts who attribute their recovery to a higher power or becoming "spiritually in tune" with what the universe is telling them and their chakras or whatever.

He's just never come across as annoying as Corgan is about it, because he isn't smarmily preaching about positivity and healing and vibrations while simultaneously being a negative, grudge-bearing, thin-skinned asshole. It comes across as far less disingenuous when he does it because Chamberlin genuinely comes across as a nice guy.
new JCC album is so good but the track titles seem so irritatingly fuckin billy wilson

humility is an absolute bop

i mean i'm not sure if i'd rather that or fuckin vouchsafe cyyylllindeoux: an art piece for the flugelhorn in F#

Old 10-27-2020, 03:06 AM   #146
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
That's totally cool and if he said something like this that would be totally legit. Songs are written from the perspective of a character or type of person all the time. A huge portion of Led Zeppelin songs sound like they're from the point of view of a character on a great pastoral adventure. Many country songs contain storylines, and the list goes on and on. If Billy had specific things in mind like that then it would be cool to hear about. But for whatever reason he seems like he wants to discredit everyone's perception and memories of the band by saying it was all an act.
yeah, like i've written dumb lyrics on my phone sometimes, randomly, and even when i'm drunk enough to be open, i'm still exaggerating or lying in order to make it sound cooler, or rhyme, or be more vibey

here's some dumb shit from a week ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by my dumb shit
misspent secrets on poets’ wall
lines of fuzz and distortion call
forgotten affairs thru MacBook lens
a strident pose for sinner’s dens

JUST TAKE ME AS I FUCKING AM
BROKEN BOY FUCKING SHAM I AM

did abbie hoffman die for this
i guess he did; all that hippy shit
the covid flows and soothes the twitch
misplaced youth i’m a fucking bitch

Old 10-27-2020, 09:29 AM   #147
Elphenor
Braindead

brain rotage brain rottage brain rotage

Old 10-27-2020, 09:30 AM   #148
Elphenor
Braindead

has it been mentioned that Big Bill said "announcement of an announcement"

really takes you back

Old 10-27-2020, 09:55 AM   #149
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

HEY ELPHENOR IF YOU WANNA BUY NEW CLOTHES CHECK THIS OUT http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=188245

Old 10-27-2020, 10:40 AM   #150
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Ram I'm sorry but there's a Dr. Seuss joke in there waiting to happen