Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2014, 12:55 AM   #211
Elphenor
Braindead

Ughhhhhhh.
Stop KK just stop

Old 05-09-2014, 12:55 AM   #212
Kreatorkind
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
oh for fuck's sake, kreatorkind, no it doesn't. I see you skipped over highlighting "of the same age," "current," "of the present."

You don't understand what being a contemporary of someone means.

Take for example the Shelley/Keats example that was used. Shelley and Keats knew each other, they ran in the same circles. They lived and produced work during the exact same time period. They were both Romantic poets.
That's why there's more than one line of definition. And Tommy Lee and John Bonham lived and produced work in the exact same time period. They were both drummers in rock bands.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:56 AM   #213
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
Because Jimmy is not the sound he wanted. He wants that bash bash sound. It has been very clear. You don't have to paint with one colour, holy fuck!
Right because Jimmy's drumming and musicianship is one singular color.

Tommy lee, now there's a man loaded with layers of colors!

Fuck it billy just do programming.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:57 AM   #214
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Bet he believes corgan is his contemporary

Old 05-09-2014, 12:57 AM   #215
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Like why doesn't jimmy just give billy drum lessons already billy is a multi talented genius

Old 05-09-2014, 12:59 AM   #216
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
Right because Jimmy's drumming and musicianship is one singular color.

Tommy lee, now there's a man loaded with layers of colors!

Fuck it billy just do programming.
You dumbass. You don't get the painting analogy. If Jimmy is indigo, Lee is red.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:02 AM   #217
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
No, but think how much worse it would be without JC's drumming. Really, one of the few redeeming qualities of that album is Jimmy's drumming. Billy just fucked up the production and the direction he took the album in.
I can't listen to that album at all. A combination of whatever horrid ear fuckingly loud production they're using and some of the worst vocals Ive ever heard from a popular band makes it just impossibly unpleasent.

Adore didn't have Jimmy but it had good vocals and it's amazing. Z had amazing drums but is just horrible because of the vocals. The worst thing to happen to The Pumpkins wasn't the line-up changes but Billy's vocal changes. And the fact that he writes such shitty lyrics now.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:04 AM   #218
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Why are people so dumb that they think it is all corgan's fault that jimmy isn't in the band. The dude is doing his own thing let Jimmy have his thing. Let corgan play with tommy lee and get a tattoo, who cares if another album is garbage. Also, drumming isn't everything you mother fucking broken records.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:06 AM   #219
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I can't listen to that album at all. A combination of whatever horrid ear fuckingly loud production they're using and some of the worst vocals Ive ever heard from a popular band makes it just impossibly unpleasent.

Adore didn't have Jimmy but it had good vocals and it's amazing. Z had amazing drums but is just horrible because of the vocals. The worst thing to happen to The Pumpkins wasn't the line-up changes but Billy's vocal changes. And the fact that he writes such shitty lyrics now.
Ya his lyrics are garbage now and getting worse and worse.

Adore was stripped down but those were some amazing songs. Really sophisticated.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:07 AM   #220
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
You dumbass. You don't get the painting analogy. If Jimmy is indigo, Lee is red.
Relax I'm fucking with you, you dumb bitch.

Why don't you drum for SP? I bet you're like, yellow or something.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:08 AM   #221
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
Relax I'm fucking with you, you dumb bitch.

Why don't you drum for SP? I bet you're like, purple or something.
Pfft he couldn't afford me.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:08 AM   #222
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
I am so unbelievably pissed off that I can't rub it in your face that Mike Burns is still in the band.

FUCK YOU BILLY CORGAN

GAAAAAS"LKFJN"LEIFN';eljn
Everyone chill out. He could have gotten that drummer from def leppard.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:09 AM   #223
Elphenor
Braindead

I can see Jimmy being like "Billy, Im sorry man, but you suck now"

And Billy's like "Fuck you! You're fired. I dont need you. Go ride around in a white van" or whatever.
And then he tried to replace hin with a kid as a total "fuck you" to Jimmy.
"I dont need you! A kid could do your job!"

Old 05-09-2014, 01:11 AM   #224
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Dave Grohl with Nirvana is loud and simple. But Dave Grohl on QOTSA - Songs for the Deaf is pretty complex at times.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:12 AM   #225
Starla

Quote:
I never thought I would but I feel bad for him, too. Billy built him up and now he's tearing him down.

As for Jeff, I really don't care what he thinks. All he does is agree with Billy on everything anyway. I've never cared for him or his playing and I don't think I'm ever going to.

oh, and Billy can go fuck himself. I'm so tired of his shitty attitude towards current music. He hasn't bothered to actually listen to anything past the 80s to know what the fuck he's talking about.
that's not true, he likes MGMT

Old 05-09-2014, 01:12 AM   #226
Elphenor
Braindead

I like Nirvana style drumming WAY more.
I fucking love the drumming on the Nirvana albums. Dave just destroys his kit and it rocks

Old 05-09-2014, 01:17 AM   #227
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Hey everyone picture Mellon collie with mike burned or tommy lee

Old 05-09-2014, 01:17 AM   #228
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Lol, not possible.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:18 AM   #229
Elphenor
Braindead

Oh God that sounds awful.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:24 AM   #230
Starla

everything sucked after colour and shape.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:26 AM   #231
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatorkind View Post
That's why there's more than one line of definition. And Tommy Lee and John Bonham lived and produced work in the exact same time period. They were both drummers in rock bands.
You still don't understand its meaning, and it really isn't open to some broad line of definition, especially not in this context (i.e. art). Art movements only last about a decade at most, and the artists that belong to each movement share similarities and familiarities. "Contemporaries of" has a heavy emphasis on each person being aware of each others existence, interacting with each other in some form, and somewhat feeding off of each other with their ideas (much like the 90s grunge/alternative movement); another key point here is that they all come from the same generation (i.e. they're similar in age). Tommy Lee was a pimply teenager when Bonham was setting the world on fire. Tommy Lee and Bonham did not know each other, Bonham surely didn't even know that Tommy Lee existed, and they certainly did not share any similar playing style, influences, or acquaintances. That's like saying that Bob Dylan and Tommy Lee are contemporaries of each other just because they happen to be alive at the same time after Tommy became famous.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:31 AM   #232
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post

That I agree with to a point.

I don't hate the album as much as some do and there are a handful of songs that I don't mind from it, but if you listen to the demos that Billy was writing at the time (which were really emotional acoustic songs) it doesn't make sense how he decided to go with such a lifeless record like ZG. Instead of going with his natural state (like he did with Adore) he decided to create an obnoxious "statement" record that fell flat.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:31 AM   #233
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Dud you can't reach this person. They don't know how dictionary definitions work.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:36 AM   #234
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
That I agree with to a point.

I don't hate the album as much as some do and there are a handful of songs that I don't mind from it, but if you listen to the demos that Billy was writing at the time (which were really emotional acoustic songs) it doesn't make sense how he decided to go with such a lifeless record like ZG. Instead of going with his natural state (like he did with Adore) he decided to create an obnoxious "statement" record that fell flat.
Yeah, Billy acoustic today is still incredibly moving at times.

MCIS era Billy could have sang hos lyrics with the only instrument being your grandma on bongos and that shit would still rock.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:38 AM   #235
Elphenor
Braindead

Before he went all Jesus Freak and New Age Hippy Billy was an incredibly raw and moving vocalist and lyricist.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:44 AM   #236
Kreatorkind
Demi-God

Quote:
You still don't understand its meaning, and it really isn't open to some broad line of definition, especially not in this context (i.e. art). Art movements only last about a decade at most, and the artists that belong to each movement share similarities and familiarities.
I didn't use a broad definition. I used a very specific and correct definition. "a person or thing living or existing at the same time as another." That's the first definition in the dictionary. I expanded upon that further by stating that they were two people in the same field, working at the same time. Camaraderie is not a prerequisite. And as far as an art movement only lasting a decade, tell that to all the Baroque composers over the 150 or so years that that music was popular.

Quote:
"Contemporaries of" has a heavy emphasis on each person being aware of each others existence, interacting with each other in some form, and somewhat feeding off of each other with their ideas (much like the 90s grunge/alternative movement);

According to you. That is your interpretation of the word "contemporary".

Quote:
another key point here is that they all come from the same generation (i.e. they're similar in age). Tommy Lee was a pimply teenager when Bonham was setting the world on fire. Tommy Lee and Bonham did not know each other, Bonham surely didn't even know that Tommy Lee existed, and they certainly did not share any similar playing style, influences, or acquaintances. That's like saying that Bob Dylan and Tommy Lee are contemporaries of each other just because they happen to be alive at the same time after Tommy became famous.

Well, an argument could easily be made that shared a similar playing style and influences. Age has nothing to do with it though.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:46 AM   #237
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatorkind View Post
let me guess, you never got around to going to college did you

Old 05-09-2014, 01:49 AM   #238
Elphenor
Braindead

He's missing the point of the word in terms of Art pretty hard.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:56 AM   #239
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Tommy hits the drums in a crushing manner, but as many fans know this is not without nuance or reaction; as he has a fantastic ear for music and plays with the songs in a means that only enhances excitement. The only other place I’ve heard this phenomena is with John Bonham of Led Zeppelin: where heavy drums can sound soft and expressive. Good company indeed!

When I read this I immediately thought of Ilan Rubin...he wouldn't have had time though, he's busy with other bands >>>

Old 05-09-2014, 01:56 AM   #240
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

By the way...Jeff mentioned Tommy Lee in an interview from 2008 >>>

Quote:
Gibson.com: What other musicians would you like to share the stage with?

Thatīs a frightening question. If I ever felt like I was good enough playing with these guys, my first choice would be John Mc Laughlin. He combines fluid, intense playing with this whole spiritual element. I really love Jeff Beck, I think he would be fun to play with. I also would love to share the stage with Yngwie Malmsteen, the shredding king. Actually we tried to get him to play with the Samshing Pumpkins, but he said he was in the studio and unfortunately couldnīt make it. You never know... We try to invite a lot of people to jam on our shows. Uli Jon Roth for example joined us for a few gigs. Actually it seems like Tommy Lee will join us for the Australian Dates.
Source:
http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyl...with-Jeff.aspx

Last edited by amoergosum : 05-09-2014 at 02:04 AM.