Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2007, 02:59 PM   #31
exactlythesame
Minion of Satan

Location: I thought what I'd do is I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy
uhhhh what?
uuuuh, the commercializing of 'environmental awareness' is obviously ridiculous. instead of people actually caring, they just use it as a panacea for their guilty consciences. i'm not against helping the ecosystem, but when people are hypocritical about it (particularly when it involves politics), it's unbearable.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:40 PM   #32
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

My biggest problem with this is that I'm against increased regulations, but I'm much much more against big federal muscle flexing.

Anyway...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist
So the big states can economically hamstring the little states with impunity just because they're bigger? That seems like a pretty perverse version of federalism to me.
What's a perverse form of federalism is that the small states and handcuffing the big ones. Case in point: the income tax. Tell me why someone making $50k/yr in New York City has to pay the same federal income tax as someone making $50k/yr in Little Rock?

Because the bigger states subsidize the inefficient ones.

I hope California follows the lead of the Lakota and draws articles of secession. I'd never live in the country because of all the whackjobs who would be running it from San Fran, but at least it would be a positive step in showing the feds where they can stick their globalism

Old 12-26-2007, 03:07 AM   #33
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

*slow clap*

Old 12-26-2007, 05:36 AM   #34
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son
My biggest problem with this is that I'm against increased regulations, but I'm much much more against big federal muscle flexing.

Anyway...

What's a perverse form of federalism is that the small states and handcuffing the big ones. Case in point: the income tax. Tell me why someone making $50k/yr in New York City has to pay the same federal income tax as someone making $50k/yr in Little Rock?

Because the bigger states subsidize the inefficient ones.
But that's just the drawback to being part of a federalist system. The big states have more population, so more of their money goes into the central government and redistributed back to other states. In return for this, the smaller states are somewhat at the whim of the regulations and policies adopted by other states. There's a balance to be had there, but the competing interests of the states are always going to be present in some form. If nothing else, the federal government is there to make sure that balance of power between states doesn't get too out of whack.

I agree that for the most part the overall balance of power is inordinately shifted to the federal government right now, and that the states need more control over their own affairs. But that doesn't mean every move the federal government makes against state power is necessarily ill advised. That doesn't mean that this EPA thing is 100 percent on the up and up...but I don't see how it's not at least a possibility that it is.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:18 PM   #35
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist
But that's just the drawback to being part of a federalist system. The big states have more population, so more of their money goes into the central government and redistributed back to other states. In return for this, the smaller states are somewhat at the whim of the regulations and policies adopted by other states. There's a balance to be had there, but the competing interests of the states are always going to be present in some form. If nothing else, the federal government is there to make sure that balance of power between states doesn't get too out of whack.

I agree that for the most part the overall balance of power is inordinately shifted to the federal government right now, and that the states need more control over their own affairs. But that doesn't mean every move the federal government makes against state power is necessarily ill advised. That doesn't mean that this EPA thing is 100 percent on the up and up...but I don't see how it's not at least a possibility that it is.
Maybe you also haven't been reading the news but the feds are raiding places that are legally allowed to distribute medicine legalized by California and are attempting to impose heavy sentences as a show of force

Old 12-26-2007, 04:27 PM   #36
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son
Maybe you also haven't been reading the news but the feds are raiding places that are legally allowed to distribute medicine legalized by California and are attempting to impose heavy sentences as a show of force
Even I can't play devil's advocate for the federal government on the whole medical marijuana issue.