Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2022, 04:02 PM   #6001
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Hellraiser (2022): B, B+?
I have downgraded this to maybe a C, the more I think about it. Feel like they had a setup that would've worked perfectly and then went in this oddly generic "kids getting picked off by a killer" direction.

HALLOWEEN 3: HALLOWEEN ENDS: God, like D if I'm being generous? This was terrible, and there's no doubt in my mind they did this like the new Star Wars trilogy where they just had no plan for 2 when they were doing 1, and no plan for this when they were doing 2. This could've been an interesting angle, but not like this, and not now.

SPENCER: A. It took me a bit to understand its whole... vibe I guess, but pretty soon I was all in, baby! This movie is glad the Queen is dead and that's fuckin' right.

Old 11-11-2022, 02:31 PM   #6002
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Thumbs up

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story: A fucking plus. I was pretty sure I'd like it; I had no idea I'd fucking love it.

Old 11-11-2022, 03:17 PM   #6003
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
triangle of sadness.

A, I think, although I'm still not sure what I just watched. Every moment of the 2,5 hours I witnessed with bated breath.
Still waiting on this, it's simply refusing to show up online gosh heckling darnit excuse my french.

Old 11-19-2022, 09:11 PM   #6004
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Weird: The Al Yankovic Story: A fucking plus. I was pretty sure I'd like it; I had no idea I'd fucking love it.
i want to watch this so bad

Old 11-21-2022, 10:18 AM   #6005
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Lightbulb

You can watch it on Roku's site for free; you don't even need to make a free account

I guess you'd need a Roku device to watch it on your tv? Or stream it from your phone or computer or whatever, I'm not doing any more work on this for you

Or maybe you just meant like, your life is so busy you don't have time to sit down and watch this even though you're aware you have the means to do so, in which case, perhaps this will help some other poor soul

Old 11-21-2022, 10:36 AM   #6006
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Thumbs up

Good shit. Gonna give it an A. It helps if you're correctly mesmerized by anything Mark Rylance does, but it's a well-written story where our beautiful boy has to keep thinking on his feet to keep from getting murdered

Old 01-14-2023, 07:14 PM   #6007
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Got around to watching Everything, Everywhere, All at Once.

I mean, I liked it. Didn't love it. It's got clever editing and use of symbols to develop it's themes, but it's just so sentimental. When a movie is too sentimental, it feels like it's demanding that I feel the emotion it wants me to feel, rather than letting me feel like I'm getting my own emotional interpretation out of it. Kinda feels like a big sign lighting up saying "please applaud," except it's "please get all misty eyed and think about life and shit."

Quirky humour doesn't make me laugh, so the jokes didn't land for me, though I appreciated them.

Old 01-17-2023, 11:06 AM   #6008
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Thumbs up

The Pale Blue Eye: B+

Pretty astonishing to see the kid who played Harry Potter's asshole cousin hold his own against Christian Bale the whole movie. He's got to play a wacky guy in a way that needs to be both completely oddball and believable, and I think he pulls it off. Movie looks great and does not have "the Netflix look" at all, and it's a fun mystery. I see a lot of reviews calling the ending ludicrous and taking off major points for that, and I feel like maybe people don't watch a lot of mysteries. I guessed things in broad strokes pretty early on and I never get this shit right, and the circumstances are just... well, not ludicrous for the kind of story this clearly is.

Old 01-17-2023, 12:38 PM   #6009
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

The Banshees of Inisherin: A fuckin' plus

Wish I'd seen this in a (good) theater, 'cause it is goddamn gorgeous. Such a compelling burn that transitions from hilarious to horrifying so smoothly you don't even know it's happening. Gonna be considering this and what some of it meant for a long time. And it was pretty cool to look it up after and find out Brendan Gleeson really plays the fiddle, and wrote the song his character writes.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:18 PM   #6010
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Randomly selected The Dig on Netflix. It was good. Kind of slow. It's a drama about the Sutton Hoo treasure, dug up in England in 1939. I wish they'd given a bit better looks at the actual items pulled from the burial mound. But the focus of the movie is the man who excavated the dig (who had been cut out and given no credit in his lifetime) and the property owner, who died soon after the events of the movie.

This isn't an exciting film. It's slow, and soaked in the anxiety of the rapidly escalating War with Germany.

I give this film a "B" rating

one of my favorite lines in the film comes from a smug archaeologist from London who upon discovering that this was not a viking, but a Saxon grave, exclaims that this wasn't a barbarian burial, this was a burial of people with culture. LOL

Old 01-17-2023, 10:33 PM   #6011
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
that movie was so fantastic, i watched it TWICE. daniel radclif

Old 01-17-2023, 10:35 PM   #6012
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
Cry-Baby

satire of 50's-type high school musicals, a few big laughs.
nice summer flick, great to watch at an outdoors event.
a young rebel johnny depp teaches a square girl how to french kiss and rock'n'roll.

the french dub is so full of idioms from my 80's movie-watching past.

i felt that some better transitions and plot points could have easily made this far superior.
nah that movie is bad-ass as-is

Old 01-18-2023, 01:00 PM   #6013
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Have we talked about the movie Slash/Back, about an alien invasion of an Inuit village in Greenland? I'm too lazy to go pack a few pages to check. Maybe I've mentioned this, but It's so good. One of the best scifi horror movies in a long time. The main characters are all teenage Indigenous girls. Kind of borrows a lot from the plot of The Thing and Alien.

I give it an A+

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 01-18-2023 at 01:15 PM.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:32 PM   #6014
Disco King
Minion of Satan

So, I watched Freddy Got Fingered.

Old 02-02-2023, 04:06 PM   #6015
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I used to have a crush on Tom Green when I was in middle school and I'd watch reruns of his terrible, terrible show.

MY BUM IS ON THE SWEDISH

Old 02-06-2023, 10:44 AM   #6016
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Thumbs up

Gonna go with an A here

I was expecting this to be an exploration of religion, and it is, in part, but it has much broader stuff on its mind. Don't want to say too much but I'd say it's a story about stories. And the opening is the ballsiest one I've seen in a really long time. Throws you off-balance from the jump.

Old 02-06-2023, 08:56 PM   #6017
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

This was a good movie. Anytime we see Nazis blown up on screen it's good.

Old 02-11-2023, 03:17 PM   #6018
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Saw Skinamarink. Spoilers follow.

Kyle Ball takes up the ambitious challenge of seeing if he can make staring at walls interesting. However, the walls of the movie theatre were interesting enough to compete for my attention with what was presented on screen.

I appreciate what the movie is going for. Recreating that childhood fear of how unfamiliar the shapes in your room look when you turn off the lights. The fear of abandonment that happens when you lose your mum in the supermarket. The feeling of powerlessness when you're at the mercy of an all-powerful grown-up and don't have the resources or even the language necessary to get help. The highly noisy images get you to debate if there is some barely visible movement in the shot, or if it's just your brain forcing patterns onto the noise.

But in the scenes that were meant to induce dread instead induced boredom. Sometimes, an experimental film widens our understanding of the possibilities of cinema. Sometimes, an experimental film is an instructive demonstration of why the traditional conventions of film exist, and why most films don't do things the way the particular film in question does. Because it just doesn't work.

Humans are naturally inclined to direct our attention and interest to certain things. Movement. Faces. Light. Figures. All things that are mostly missing from this particular film. If you want somebody's eyes to glaze over and mind to wander to the topic of what they're having for lunch tomorrow, show them unmoving images of the trim on the corner of a wall. Having the main characters themselves barely in the frame at times just made it unclear how many characters were in the scene, and there was a period of the film were I wasn't sure if we still had two characters or just the one.

The fact that I feel like I watched a better film than I did when I call to mind certain impressions and afterimages left than when I remember what my actual thoughts were during the movie underscore the fact that this movie really would have been more effective as a 10-minute short film, but instead, they tried to stretch it out into a feature-length. Instead of having to suppress screams of horror, I had to hold back from screaming "hurry the fuck up" at the screen. At first, I thought that the long, static shots were just to set the tone of the movie up, but at the point that I realized that this was the movie, all I could think about was "how much longer am I going to be here?"

None of my impatience even had anything to do with the pace of the narrative. It's light on plot, but that is fine for what's supposed to be a nightmare-logic dread piece. It's not a lack of story details or story that the movie suffers from. It's the lack of anything happening on the fucking screen oh my god. It's got two clever moments where they use moments from the VHS cartoons the kids are watching to reflect the situation they find themselves in. I expected that they'd make more use of that concept than they did.

Old 02-13-2023, 11:46 AM   #6019
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Thumbs up

B+? Yes it's goofy and broad, yes I'd never fucking heard of it until it popped up in my Prime feed, but it's pretty funny. Sort of a Burn After Reading vibe in that there are a number of stupid people comedically getting in over their heads in crime and facing violent consequences for doing so. And it's got Clifton Collins Jr., always a huge plus. The very last scene is unsatisfying, but the rest is solid.

Old 02-13-2023, 12:45 PM   #6020
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
The Banshees of Inisherin: A fuckin' plus

Wish I'd seen this in a (good) theater, 'cause it is goddamn gorgeous. Such a compelling burn that transitions from hilarious to horrifying so smoothly you don't even know it's happening. Gonna be considering this and what some of it meant for a long time. And it was pretty cool to look it up after and find out Brendan Gleeson really plays the fiddle, and wrote the song his character writes.
I saw it in a good theater, to be exact the one I work in (). It fucking depressed the shit out of me. I was probably expecting something more of a comedy. I really needed some interpretation, and the YouTube gods were so kind to tell me it was mostly about the Irish civil war.

I love Ireland

Old 06-02-2023, 07:50 PM   #6021
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Got around to watching Everything, Everywhere, All at Once.

I mean, I liked it. Didn't love it. It's got clever editing and use of symbols to develop it's themes, but it's just so sentimental. When a movie is too sentimental, it feels like it's demanding that I feel the emotion it wants me to feel, rather than letting me feel like I'm getting my own emotional interpretation out of it. Kinda feels like a big sign lighting up saying "please applaud," except it's "please get all misty eyed and think about life and shit."

Quirky humour doesn't make me laugh, so the jokes didn't land for me, though I appreciated them.
saw this during a flight and thought it was great if you watch it as wild way to tell a family drama

for a moment I thought it was going to go the direction of trying to make a profound statement but it really doesn't

Old 06-02-2023, 08:00 PM   #6022
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
So, I watched Freddy Got Fingered.
i'm proud of you, king

proud...

Old 06-11-2023, 05:11 AM   #6023
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Renfield
B+/A-

Loads of bloody fun. Doesn’t overstay it’s welcome. That is all.

Old 06-11-2023, 05:18 AM   #6024
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
This was a good movie. Anytime we see Nazis blown up on screen it's good.

You’re gonna love SISU then.

Old 06-13-2023, 09:19 PM   #6025
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I used to have a crush on Tom Green when I was in middle school and I'd watch reruns of his terrible, terrible show.

MY BUM IS ON THE SWEDISH
Tom Green does raw art. He was so ahead of his time and I'm being 100% serious.

Of course this would be the place where this otherwise hot take turns into a circlejerk, but I digress.

He also seems to be generally good-natured, if disrespectful of others' personal space.

This is some David Lynch shit:

Just kidding, but it's funny!

Old 06-13-2023, 11:10 PM   #6026
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Same plot as the first one. Even more racist.

Old 06-14-2023, 06:49 AM   #6027
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
don't "buddy" me and pretend that making believe in your head by reading a book is not superior than watching a movie.

just dont.
Y’all’s whole book/movie fight is just semantics…but are you trolling with the insulting “spoilers” thing? As if all the folks watching old movie serials that ended in cliffhangers didn’t come back to see what happened next in the story? As if the timing of dramatic reveals weren’t as important in modern film as in old Dickens novels? Honestly not sure if you’re trolling….if you’re upset about people trying to avoid spoilers that’s a you thing, because it’s clearly, obviously important to most of the populace, and your stance just makes you seem like a cynical out-of-touch asshole. *kiss*

Old 07-06-2023, 05:26 AM   #6028
Elphenor
Braindead

Astroid City

I guess it's pretty wild to see so much money and talent put to a totally pointless film, maybe that is in itself the point

but it doesn't really save it from being boring

Old 07-06-2023, 01:53 PM   #6029
Ram27
dumb

i love boring films that look nice, unironically. can't wait to see it

Old 09-02-2023, 06:56 AM   #6030
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I saw Asteroid City tonight. I’m a Wes Anderson fan and I think I remember an interview where he said he wrote this during the COVID lockdowns. It’s a lot to process. I didn’t laugh as much as usual. but it was more cathartic than usual

But maybe I’ve just had too much Wes Anderson kool aid