Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2023, 12:16 PM   #1
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Default When will we admit Oceania rules?

Other than Mikey, album slaps and is a spectacular mood. Production is crisp, vocals are better (except Wildflower), lyrics are decent (bad in spots such as Quasar) and guitars do roar now. Even the toy box synths are mastered right.

Idk, maybe as I’ve gotten older, I’ve just appreciated the vibe he was going for here but it’s really good. Maybe it’s just that the new stuff is so bad.

Old 02-06-2023, 12:44 PM   #2
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
it’s just that the new stuff is so bad.
this.

but not about being bad.. just relatively worse. and it's going to keep going in that way. one day billy will release something worse than atum and we'll retrospectively begin to appreciate it. its' a sustainable model because you can ALWAYS eventually do worse.

Old 02-06-2023, 12:50 PM   #3
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

In my defense I liked Oceania from day 1. I like it a lot more now though. It seems sincere. He actually sings with emotion.

Old 02-06-2023, 01:06 PM   #4
Morlock
Ownz

There are a bunch of good tracks, but occasionally you guys need to listen to Drown or For Martha or whatever just to remember that music can be much better than Oceania or any other post 2000 Pumpkins.

Old 02-06-2023, 01:08 PM   #5
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

That's methed up

By the time Oceanina came out the clown show was already up and running. So much so that now you realize Monumentz is basically a more restrained ATUM. The synths are there, the brittle guitars are there.

Old 02-06-2023, 01:50 PM   #6
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

It’s the worst SP2.0 album by a considerable distance. The thing has no energy whatsoever.

Even Teargarden beats it because it has Lightning, Tom Tom & Cottonwood.

ATUM…. Ehhhh…. when I finally sit down and listen to ATUM properly there’s still likely a few tracks that are better than anything on Oceania… maybe…

Old 02-06-2023, 01:53 PM   #7
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Midlife crisis album where billy surrounded himself with people half his age singing about kissing people half his age?

Hard pass.

Old 02-06-2023, 01:56 PM   #8
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

A handful of ok tracks at best. Some terrible synths and overly proggy.

Old 02-06-2023, 05:06 PM   #9
Ram27
dumb

each new record gets worse and worse which makes the old stuff seem better and better

so yeah oceania isn't bad at all

Old 02-06-2023, 05:42 PM   #10
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
each new record gets worse and worse which makes the old stuff seem better and better

so yeah oceania isn't bad at all
I think Zeitgeist is still kinda trash, but Oceania is good

Old 02-06-2023, 06:22 PM   #11
RAWK
Pledge

Sorry, but it's objectively bad. No matter how many times I try, it's just crap. Soulless, empty, sloppy crap.

Old 02-06-2023, 07:21 PM   #12
phang
Ownz

I liked Oceania as an album, no problems in saying so. I also thought the live performance I saw in that era was pretty good. It was nice to get an album too after the fuckaround with Teargarden and songs being released one by one.

If only we knew then what we know now...

Old 02-06-2023, 07:28 PM   #13
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Even the only track I like, The Celestials, is not really great. This is the first instance I remember him claiming to be "going back to the Siamese Dream sound" and we got fucking Inkless and Glissandra. Ew. I hated it then and hate it now.

KRISHNA RIDE ON

Old 02-06-2023, 07:44 PM   #14
T&T
Socialphobic

I don't like how Oceania fits into the MCIS/MACHINA/ATUM story. it's just kind of awkwardly sits there...

Old 02-06-2023, 11:49 PM   #15
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

I will be honey nut Cheerios

Old 02-07-2023, 12:18 AM   #16
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Production was pretty good on Oceania.. not sure WHAT THE FUCK happened between Oceania and Cyr/ATUM where production sucks ass now.

the synths sounded pretty decent on Oceania.. and on Cyr / ATUM it sounds like a Casio keyboard

Old 02-07-2023, 07:38 AM   #17
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
Production was pretty good on Oceania.. not sure WHAT THE FUCK happened between Oceania and Cyr/ATUM where production sucks ass now.

the synths sounded pretty decent on Oceania.. and on Cyr / ATUM it sounds like a Casio keyboard
Was plenty of complaining around Teargarden era aka the introduction of the circus synths back in 2009. Would suggest maybe Bjorn Thorsrud made them sound vaguely OK on Oceania but he worked on Teargarden too

Old 02-07-2023, 01:55 AM   #18
Ram27
dumb

yeah what style is this even? nothing else sounds this shitty

Old 02-07-2023, 09:10 AM   #19
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
yeah what style is this even? nothing else sounds this shitty
it's called Soft Circus Synth

Old 02-07-2023, 05:21 AM   #20
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

The drums sound boxy but that was sort of a thing back in the early 10s. Drums are being recorded a little better these days (not by SP).

Old 02-07-2023, 08:44 AM   #21
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I don't know anything about production. but the last album that has sounded anywhere close to a real band album was zeitgeist (ironically, I know). Everything after has this "small" sound and sounds more like demos or unfinished tracks.
Though tbh the last album to truly sound great was Adore.

Old 02-07-2023, 04:20 PM   #22
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Oceania isn't a bad album, but that doesn't make it a good album.

If you already have an emotional investment in this band, you will listen to this album on repeat trying to find things you like about it and hoping to convince yourself that the old magic is still there.

If this is the first SP album you've ever heard, it will likely also be the last SP album you'll ever hear. Not because you hate it, but because it won't make a striking impression on you.

It sounds like it's made by the same guy who made Siamese Dream. But like the guy is old and tired and boring now. It might make you weigh the relative merit of making recognizable music that is a pale imitation of past glories and making music that is a complete departure from past styles but also lacks anything that made people like your past work. Is it more admirable to make something awful that at the very least is territory you haven't explored yet? You will then realize that instead of carefully comparing and contrasting two uninspiring works, your time is better spent listening to music you actually enjoy by other artists.

Unless you're one of us, in which case you will continue to follow this band and discuss their new works despite never having anything positive to say about them.

Old 02-07-2023, 06:16 PM   #23
phang
Ownz

Old 02-07-2023, 06:44 PM   #24
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Look at the joy on that fellow, a brave young man looking with hope towards the future. That's a face that speaks reason, honesty, purity of mind.

Now look at the souless gaze of the liar, the used car salesman expression, the fake posture, there is nothing behind those glassy eyes that stare at you...

Old 02-07-2023, 07:32 PM   #25
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
Look at the joy on that fellow, a brave young man looking with hope towards the future. That's a face that speaks reason, honesty, purity of mind.

Now look at the souless gaze of the liar, the used car salesman expression, the fake posture, there is nothing behind those glassy eyes that stare at you...
Yeah but that second guy can you get you a smokin deal on a gently used 2019 Honda CR-V, with low mileage, low apr and low monthly payments. Can Mikey do that??

Old 02-08-2023, 05:23 AM   #26
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Yeah but that second guy can you get you a smokin deal on a gently used 2019 Honda CR-V, with low mileage, low apr and low monthly payments. Can Mikey do that??
Girl in a jacket

"That was a new 3.6 turbo, which of course I wish I still had because those cars are going for crazy money now," he says.

Old 02-07-2023, 06:56 PM   #27
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Idk DK, I don't think Oash resembles SD at all. It doesn't sound like the same band to me.

Old 02-07-2023, 07:07 PM   #28
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Billy Corgan is the only thing they both share. I was going to say Billy Corgan is the only unchanged factor, but he definitely changed.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:16 PM   #29
T&T
Socialphobic

why did mikey get so fat? what kind of injections was he taking?

Old 02-07-2023, 08:16 PM   #30
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I dunno, "Quasar" sounds like an uncool boomer version of "Cherub Rock" (and "Cherub" is already probably the least challenging track on SD). A lot of the Oceania tracks sound recognizably Pumpkinsy, but in a "phoning it in" way. Like, "yeah, it's got fuzzy guitars and phased solos and shit; I can see how the guy who made 'Silverfuck' made this 20 years later, but this is no 'Silverfuck'."