Old 06-20-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

Arrow Tell us what you liked years and years ago

What did you like when you were 25?
What did you like when you were 20?
What did you like when you were 15?
What about 10?
And when you were 5? What did you like then? Well? Tell us.
And if you are older than 30 or 35 please feel free. Share with the group.

When I was 20, I liked going to Vermont and gay pride parades and such. I don't do either anymore, really. Oh, and I thought I liked theatre enough to be in theatre management/marketing type stuff. I mean for a career.

When I was 15 I liked the Smashing Pumpkins and masturbating constantly. I also liked marching band and going to parties and dancing with my friends' mothers.

When I was 10 I liked stuntmen. I wanted to be one. I would go into my backyard and just throw myself into the ground head first and get all bruised and cut up just for entertainment. Because I think I thought that's what stuntmen did. Oh, and setting themselves on fire. I was all about that.

When I was 5 I liked Pop Tarts. And watching cable before going to school in the morning. Oh and dinosaurs. Actually that was from like age 4 to age 12 but you know...it was the 80's/early 90's. Everybody like dinosaurs, which was fun.

So.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:21 PM   #2
mirrar
Braindead

Talking

great thread, it made me think about where i was at each age.
smoking weed out of juice jugs, doing nothing at my job, corrupting those younger than me. going to dance cave. watching bad tv with a bowl of popcorn on my stomach. wishing death on my fratboy roommate.

smashing pumpkins (obsessively), escaping my house on weekends to go to christinas, clothes that were way too big for me, actually doing schoolwork. sleeping on the floor in the hallway before class. biting peoples sweaters. defying the schools no tanktop rule. telling ghost stories. being a huge fucking geek. fighting with my mother. headphones. glaring at people. tacky rave jewellery and black clothes and dark makeup.

What about 10?
KIDS STREET. this game me and my stepbrother would play where we'd fill the whole hallway with stuffed animals and bust into my dads room when he was sleeping playing the demo song my kiddie keyboard over and over along with this war sounds machine so he thought bombs and lazers were coming at him. i'd chuck this huge stuffed lion at his head until he got up. my best friend paul. these little collectable plastic babies. leggings and big sweatshirts, esp the one that said DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY with a smiley face on it. tye dye. skipping. MARBLES.

And when you were 5? What did you like then?
babar. feeding the pony in the park. raffi esp baby belluga. going to the zoo with my dad and yelling ZOO SIGN!!!! in the car so loud he almost drove off the road. stealing OLLIS (olives) from the christmas tray and running from my grandfather. talking to myself. calling myself NINI.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:22 PM   #3
neopryn
let's see your penis!

When I was 15 I listened to a lot of Marilyn Manson but dressed reall preppy. I had pretty awful musical taste overall (not that I don't still) but I can't think of any other good examples of this.

When I was 10 I liked having my best friend over and building big Jurassic Park compounds and staging elaborate battles with all different sorts of vehicles all over my house.

When I was 5...I can't remember. I had a bowl haircut.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #4
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrar
going to the zoo with my dad and yelling ZOO SIGN!!!! in the car so loud he almost drove off the road.
Ok this is almost scary. My sister lived in Cinncinatti and we would go visit her when I was younger and we would go to the zoo. But the zoo is kinda hard to find. So my parents would tell me "Ok, Matt, when you see a sign for Zoo just tell us so we'll see it."

And of course eventually I would yell out ZOOOOOOOO at the top of my lungs until I was blue in the face. Like people in other cars would give us looks I would scream it so loud. I really liked the zoo. And I liked the cat house because it smelled like pee!

Old 06-20-2006, 08:35 PM   #5
mirrar
Braindead

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenguy2000
Ok this is almost scary. My sister lived in Cinncinatti and we would go visit her when I was younger and we would go to the zoo. But the zoo is kinda hard to find. So my parents would tell me "Ok, Matt, when you see a sign for Zoo just tell us so we'll see it."

And of course eventually I would yell out ZOOOOOOOO at the top of my lungs until I was blue in the face. Like people in other cars would give us looks I would scream it so loud. I really liked the zoo. And I liked the cat house because it smelled like pee!
we would have been buddies. i loved the zoo. why do you like the smell of pee??

Old 06-20-2006, 08:45 PM   #6
twice
Socialphobic

i've become the worst at remembering anything

Old 06-20-2006, 08:54 PM   #7
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

Quote:
why do you like the smell of pee??
I don't think it was really the smell itself, per se. Just the fact that you're walking around the zoo and suddenly you can identify what exhibit you are close to based solely on the smell. I was very into smells when I was a kid. And gross things in general. I had one of those Dr. Icky Disgusting chemical science type kits. I mean I don't remember exactly what it was called but something along those lines. And you could make home made slime and stuff, it was pretty awsome. Home made slime + Ghostbusters action figures = joy.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:08 PM   #8
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I have never been 25...

I'll know in two months.

Guys. Oh and anime. I don't like guys as much now, weird how that happened... Meh, it was the age of innocence... he he.

What about 10?
I was an obnoxious little piece of shit child. My how I've grown... Anyhow, I liked Nickelodeon, pogs, running around on the playground, playing my Super Nintendo (Ooooh), Power Rangers, doing math problems. On the SNES I enjoyed Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart, Zombies Ate My Neighbors... some others. I got a SEGA Genesis around this time too, I had Sonic 2, then years and years later I bought Sonic 1. Oh, I had Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles, and I had Gunstar Heroes, that game was absolutely amazing. My life has been pretty video game oriented...

And when you were 5? What did you like then? Well? Tell us.
Well alright, I was into playing with toy motorcycles and Tonka trucks outside behind my house. I liked physical activities and reading Richard E. Leaky, I liked peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with the crust removed too.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:34 PM   #9
Violetta
Amish Rake Fighter

ummm
This kinda sucks for people who are under 20, doesn't it? I guess it sucks even more for those under 5...
What did you like when you were 15? Placebo, wearing bracelets up to my elbows, British magazines, running shoes, long red hair, girls, cats (not in the same way as girls), Berlin, Sailor Moon, german.
What about 10? The Ninja Turtles, cheesy Russian music my parents played, school, drama class, the summer.
And when you were 5? Fairytales recorded on vinyl (I had so many), going to my grandmother's and greatgrandmothers houses for the summer, kittens, painting

Ofcourse everything that happened further in the past than last Wednesday is very foggy...

Old 06-20-2006, 09:48 PM   #10
Fathoms (unadored)
Apocalyptic Poster

When I was 25 I was a pregnant Ugandan woman in 1974. That's all I remember though.
What I liked when I was 20 was the fact that I wasn't older than 20.
What I liked when I was 15 was The Aeroplane Flies High box set.
What I liked when I was 10 was... I can't remember that far back.
What I liked when I was 5 was, not being old or dead.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:03 PM   #11
Lucy Sky Diamonds
Braindead

Location: No Canada like French Canada, it's the best Canada in ze land.

I'll let you know in 2 years. Probably similar to now, but even more cautious about having my heart broken.
Arrogant for no good reason. Madly in love A slob, living in a tiny apartment living on cold pizza and pasta with an ugly haircut and cheap glasses. Workaholic. Optimistic about the future. Obsessed with computer nerdy stuff on my Mac.
Angsty teenager with a broken heart and all the annoying crap that comes with being an angsty teenager. I'd lock myself in my room and spend hours on the phone with my "best" friend, or hours on the family computer in SPC chat. Lots of over-sized band t-shirts. Escaping as much as possible to smoke doobage with my friends. Having "sleep-overs" with another one of my female friends that were a hell of a lot more then just "sleep-overs". Fighting constantly with my mom. Obsessing over a guy 5 years my senior who would go to movies with me occasionally and sing the entire soundtrack of Rocky Horror in fast food joints as we crammed $0.49 pizza down our throats. Dealing with some very traumatic shit that had happened to me during the summer I turned 15. Writing horrible shitty morbid poetry. Playing horrible 3-chord pop punk that was popular at the time on my cheap guitar (Green Day? Blink 182? I shudder to think) Making my mom nuts by refusing to eat meat. Talking back to my dad. Forever braking my braces. I was an annoying shit.
What about 10?
I spent about 3 months in bed with pneumonia and the rest of the year unable to do much of anything, put on a ton of weight. Played with my pet turtles all of the time and was completely obsessed with them. I think I used to spend a lot of time on our old DOS computer typing up weird stories on my computer. Spent a great deal of time in and out of the hospital for breathing problems. Frustrated cause I had to stop going to Tae Kwon Do. I was obsessed with Madonna .
And when you were 5? What did you like then?
I liked to play Barbies all day and go to ballet class. I wanted to be a unicorn or a figure skater when I grew up. I'd bug my mom all the time to make me a baby sister, but she never did. I loved swimming and could never get enough of it. I used to hide in the tupperware cupboard and drive my mom nuts. I'd ride my pretty pink bike in the parking lot of our apartment building (always god damn apartments ) and chase after the Armenian boy who lived next door. He taught me how to ride my bike without my training wheels. I'd get really excited when my mom would let me go around the block and buy her a chocolate bar. I used to bug my mom to crimp my hair with my crimping iron. I'd try to hide the remote control for the VCR so that my mom would play Barbie with me, but since it was one of those remotes attached by a wire, she'd always find it.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:05 PM   #12
Lucy Sky Diamonds
Braindead

Location: No Canada like French Canada, it's the best Canada in ze land.

Man I read the thread title as Tell us what you were like years and years ago. God damn it.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:07 PM   #13
Junebug
Minion of Satan

Default good stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Sky Diamonds
I'd try to hide the remote control for the VCR so that my mom would play Barbie with me, but since it was one of those remotes attached by a wire, she'd always find it.
sorry your mom wouldn't play with you, but that's pretty funny.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:13 PM   #14
alisonmonster
Minion of Satan

that wasen't too long ago - the same stuff i like now more or less. i started collecting vinyl the year before. probably spent a lot more money foolishly. In my mid twenties i think i sort of came into my own and felt more comfortable as a person. The drawback is that that was the year i started gaining more weight. I also started the whole nude art class thing and photography thing then and i liked meeting lots of interesting and creative people.

i was more boring and held a 50 hr/week job and living off of practically minimum wage. Life was boring but i was glad to be out of the house.Moved around a lot with different people but i think i was getting restless of going nowhere fast. I think my brain shut down for a good 4 years around there after highschool -everyday day was the same and i was cooking a lot. I was into more pop culture stuff- Pez t shirts, i bought a licence plate handbag. Lots of tacky shit i wore. I dyed my hair a bunch and it was very short. I also started getting interested in classic cars since my b/f at the time had his dad's 1969 GTO.

short hair, scrawny never kissed a guy til i was 17. i had a bitter sense of humor people liked but only saw me as some awkward girl who made stupid wisecracks. Flat as a board. I was probably still in councelling because things at home were unpleasant . I drew alot and painted alot but i wasent cool. MCIS came out then, thats all i listened to for a lnog time that and white zombie, counting crows. I actually wrote poetry that wasent too bad- i still have the book. And i wrote in a journal often. I had few close friends. I didn't drink or anything then- at the time for whatever reason i saw drugs as a weakness and hated to watch people try to fit in. Got into Northern Exposure that year. I used to bike everywhere and i miss doing that.

What about 10? pretty much the same as when i was 15. few friends. the whole puberty thing was starting and made me awkward. Loved English in class. My sister was born just before and i loved ahving someone else around. Had some ongoing crush on some guy who took piano lessons around when i did for like 4 years. I was still into classical piano then and entering competitions mostly because i had nothing better to do.

And when you were 5?

i had a good imagination and i loved to paint and play with my hotwheels and legos. My mom stayed home and i think taught me a lot so i did well in kindergarten. I remember making stupid arts and crafts with construction paper and wishing i was doing somthing important like making paintings which is sort of hilarious for a 5 year old. I chewed on everything- books, clothing, my hands, my toys. I was a tomboy and played with the older boys down the street. I started taking my piano lessons around then.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:18 PM   #15
Sepiae
is a modern day sex camel

20:

The Red Sox. (Still do.) Baking. (Still do.) Sex over being treated like an actual person. (Over that.) Television. (Watch way less now.) My siblings, singing, driving, my parents, and plotting my escape from North Carolina. (Still do, except for the last one, having now escaped.)

15:

Writing and acting, the former which I sadly do less of and the latter which I am so glad I quit. KISS and Poison. Thrift store clothes and silver jeans. Ted Nugent. Being on stage. My literary journal advisor. Attention. Drinking. Doing what I deemed as crazy things with my (former) best friend.

10:

My sister, Nine Inch Nails, Chipper Jones, and the WWF. Blue and green and black nail polish. Writing. Going to the movies and the mall unsupervised. MTV. Being different from other people.

5:

The prospect of having a baby brother or sister. Eureka's Castle and the Noozles. Coloring contests and art and Barbies. Making up elaborate stories. Frilly dresses and going to the beach. Celebrating my birthday on the same day as my sister. Spending the summer in North Carolina.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:21 PM   #16
alisonmonster
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Sky Diamonds
Played with my pet turtles all of the time and was completely obsessed with them.

I wanted to be a unicorn or a figure skater when I grew up. I'd bug my mom all the time to make me a baby sister, but she never did.

I'd try to hide the remote control for the VCR so that my mom would play Barbie with me, but since it was one of those remotes attached by a wire, she'd always find it.
haha all of that is too cute.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:42 PM   #17
RopeyLopey
Braindead

it's not that long ago. Haven't changed a lot in this respect.

I liked keeping a regular mail correspondence in English with the best friend of my girlfriend. She was pretty good at it. I was sending it out on Monday and I was getting letters from her on Friday. I loved the feeling going to the mail box and knowing there's something for me. And opening the envelope...one of the best feelings, ever. I still keep all those letters - it's one of the few things I really care about. We got together after all - but we should have probably stayed with the letters.

was it 15 or 16? I liked getting high with friends, going every Friday to pub. I liked snowboarding. The whole trips of our weekend trips by train, or going to mountains for holidays, I mean not just going downhill, but the trip as whole, with meeting people and such. Feeling of being a part of some collective. Going into pubs in those mountain villages, getting drunk or high and having fights with local youth in front of the pub.

What about 10?
I liked playing ice-hockey. I thought I still have a chance to make it to NHL. heh. I think it was for the first time I really loved some girl - I mean the feeling - it was a platonic relationship.

And when you were 5?
I liked playing with Lego. My grandmother always got me some for Christmas no matter how expensive and hard to get was it. I think I was really obssessed with Lego. I could spend hours going through the various catalogues, dreaming which boxset I would like to get next. The only Christmas present that mattered was Lego.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:44 PM   #18
Effloresce
Banned

Quote:
corrupting those younger than me.
Do you regret this at all? In what ways did you corrupt?

Old 06-20-2006, 10:45 PM   #19
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

What did you like when you were 15? I'm 15 now. I like school being out, Sonic Youth, the mall blah blah blah. oh. and i guess i enjoy netphoria slightly [when i feel like having no life]
What about 10? LOVED pizza. and chocolate milk. and really i didn't do much. i did watch gulla gulla island or something though
And when you were 5? I liked dancing to my mom's terrible folk guitaring, watching my kid shows, eating, and twirling in circles. i had a bunch of dresses.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:56 PM   #20
mirrar
Braindead

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by RopeyLopey
was it 15 or 16? I liked getting high with friends, going every Friday to pub. I liked snowboarding. The whole trips of our weekend trips by train, or going to mountains for holidays, I mean not just going downhill, but the trip as whole, with meeting people and such. Feeling of being a part of some collective. Going into pubs in those mountain villages, getting drunk or high and having fights with local youth in front of the pub.
this is absolutely hilarious to picture.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:02 PM   #21
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Talking

Quote:
this is absolutely hilarious to picture.
Usually I obviously lost. I mean we all got drunk, then someone started a shit with locals and we sorted it out outside. You just grabbed the first guy and started punching him (or the other way round). After all was over, we usually became friends and went back to drink some more. Must be some local youth rituals or I don't know how to explain it.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:30 PM   #22
alexthestampede
Banned

5 yrs old - 5 yr old girls
10 yrs old - 10 yr old girls
15 yrs old - 10 yr old girls
20 yrs old - 10yr old girls

Old 06-21-2006, 12:27 AM   #23
Helena Handbasket
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm not 25 yet.
20 - Partying at my boyfriend's house.
15 - Going to the mall with Nancy and Kenzie, seeing local bands, pining over boys in local bands.
10 - Jonathan Taylor Thomas
5 - Bryan Adams.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:35 AM   #24
Oblivious
Apocalyptic Poster

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by twice
i've become the worst at remembering anything
yeah i started to do this and gave up when i drew my first blank on what i liked at 25.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:14 AM   #25
Fathoms (unadored)
Apocalyptic Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Handbasket

10 - Jonathan Taylor Thomas
The most potently funny name in the world.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:21 AM   #26
Eulogy
huh

I'm only 18, and I can't really remember what I liked when I was 15.

Smashing Pumpkins? soccer? uhhh Netphoria?

not much has changed.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:21 AM   #27
Eulogy
huh

...except now I like to get drunk a lot and make an ass of myself.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:30 AM   #28
barden
Braindead

are you watching the world cup, you soccer bastard?

Old 06-21-2006, 02:43 AM   #29
transluscent
Apocalyptic Poster

15 - That was like a few months ago
-Music, completely obsessively

-Legos
-Music

-Legos
-Music

not alot has changed in my life

Old 06-21-2006, 03:01 AM   #30
celluloid_love
Minion of Satan

20 - give me two years.

15 - Red Hot Chili Peppers, pr0n, masturbating, making fun of the friends who were easy to make fun of, lots of guitar-playing.

10 - Lego. No music. Just Lego.

5 - LEGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOO

and Sega Master System. Aw yeeah.