Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 07-14-2022, 05:35 PM   #31
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
There's no reason, in principle, to value pain. It just so happens to be that we haven't found a way to get all that we value without ever having to suffer, and so it also happens to be that, as things currently stand, it must be considered imprudent and short-sighted for one to avoid pains that would lead to pleasures that outweigh them.
yea but this questions 'what is pain'

is discomfort pain?

is challenging yourself pain?

Old 07-14-2022, 05:37 PM   #32
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxzombie View Post
masochism (or the pleasure of working hard)
is that your definition of masochism????

or did you mean it like - "mascochism and also the pleasure of working hard"

Old 07-14-2022, 05:39 PM   #33
slunken
Virgo

because the pleasure derived from a hard day's work is certainly absolutely not masochism lol

Old 07-14-2022, 06:11 PM   #34
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

It's funny you know, ppl automatically assign dark meanings to this thread but to me the idea in question seems liberating more than anything else.

It's like hey, you know what, everybody can stop killing themselves trying so hard all the time. It frames things in a way that really deemphasizes all the kind of crap we spend our everyday lives chasing.

kind of relativism and transcendentalism mixed together. It's all just stuff, and nothing is inherently more important than anything else, so just go out there and, as the edgiest kids in school say, dance like no one's watching.

Old 07-14-2022, 06:12 PM   #35
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
because the pleasure derived from a hard day's work is certainly absolutely not masochism lol
depends on how you look at it. it does seem masochistic to do anything to ourselves that causes pain, but there is a pleasure in working hard both physically and cognitively--even if it's "painful". i may feel beat after a run or workout (pained, even) but it still feels good (both in the moment and working toward an ongoing goal)

like tommy said, suffering and pain are not synonymous.

Old 07-14-2022, 06:18 PM   #36
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Lightbulb What is the point of making choices if nothing lasts anyway?
btw
correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is what permanently broke mark kozelek

Old 07-14-2022, 06:26 PM   #37
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
It's funny you know, ppl automatically assign dark meanings to this thread but to me the idea in question seems liberating more than anything else.

It's like hey, you know what, everybody can stop killing themselves trying so hard all the time. It frames things in a way that really deemphasizes all the kind of crap we spend our everyday lives chasing.

kind of relativism and transcendentalism mixed together. It's all just stuff, and nothing is inherently more important than anything else, so just go out there and, as the edgiest kids in school say, dance like no one's watching.

Well, you did ask us for reasons!

Old 07-14-2022, 06:30 PM   #38
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
btw
correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is what permanently broke mark kozelek
bro that's why you must become water

Old 07-14-2022, 06:31 PM   #39
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

if Bruce Lee knew so much about becoming water than why he ded

Old 07-14-2022, 06:31 PM   #40
slunken
Virgo

trying to actively mt rushmore yourself into permanent existence is psycho behavior

Old 07-14-2022, 06:31 PM   #41
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
if Bruce Lee knew so much about becoming water than why he ded
true, true

Old 07-14-2022, 06:36 PM   #42
slunken
Virgo

Old 07-16-2022, 07:04 PM   #43
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Have chewed over so many tentative replies to this question.

I’ve struggled a lot with this question. Now I see my nearly 17 year old struggling with it. He has some once-in-a-lifetime opportunities on the table, to do things most people can only dream of. But he’s changed a lot since he broke up with his last girlfriend. He wants to be happy and to be left alone and I think he doesn’t see value in many of the things he did before. Because none of those things he worked so hard for could prevent the break up.

So I think the point of making choices for a lot of us is to secure love from other people that is equal to the love we know we could give another person, maybe

Though when we haven’t had a lot of experience loving someone over a long period of time, we probably have a kind of idealistic view of what love is. It took me several relationships of making mistakes before I had the knowledge and perspective to sustain my current relationship. We’ve been together 18 years now. And it won’t last, not forever. One of us will die even if neither one of us leaves the other. But we both make choices to stay together, all the time, every day. And even though it won’t last forever, the point of making those choices is to be together as long as we can.

Careers, social recognition, I wonder if it all comes down to being loved. We make choices that we think will inspire people to love us, and inspire one person in particular to love us better than everyone else

Damn selfish genes, maybe.

Old 07-16-2022, 07:36 PM   #44
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I remember floating that idea in a philosophy tutorial at university after reading The Mating Mind, and inspiring heated responses from a few young men who were adamant that their artistic endeavours and professional goals were about way more than just getting chicks or whatever

And I remember thinking, well, that’s what they would say because that’s how it appears to them. But it doesn’t necessarily mean that’s what it’s about at its most base level

Old 07-16-2022, 07:40 PM   #45
vixnix
Socialphobic

I remember piecing myself back together after my worst heartbreak, which had landed me in hospital for a few weeks involuntarily

I asked myself this question about choices and meaning so many times. Eventually I threw all my other uni study aside and switched to become a philosophy major because I couldn’t figure out how to live my life at all, without answering what seemed to be these fundamental questions

It’s so eerie seeing my son go through that same process. I gave him Alain De Botton’s the Consolations of Philosophy as a gift. Now he wants to study philosophy at university when he goes

And I don’t know how to say- you won’t get any of the answers there, that you’re going for. You’ll just end up having to read a bunch of stupid shit like Kant

Old 07-16-2022, 07:41 PM   #46
vixnix
Socialphobic

Sorry. That was all too much

Old 07-16-2022, 09:29 PM   #47
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post

Though when we haven’t had a lot of experience loving someone over a long period of time, we probably have a kind of idealistic view of what love is.
I'm not trying to hyper focus on this, or to be cynical because a lot of your sentiments are lovely, but I think teenage hormones/brain circuitry have a lot to do with this, too.

Old 07-16-2022, 09:59 PM   #48
slunken
Virgo

for me it's this appealing mix of raw emotion and tight, professional delivery and production.

Old 07-16-2022, 10:05 PM   #49
cork_soaker
full of longing

rain

Old 07-16-2022, 10:05 PM   #50
cork_soaker
full of longing

& metal

Old 07-16-2022, 10:53 PM   #51
slunken
Virgo

Quote:

So I think the point of making choices for a lot of us is to secure love from other people that is equal to the love we know we could give another person, maybe
yooooooooooooo

Old 07-16-2022, 10:54 PM   #52
slunken
Virgo

Quote:

Careers, social recognition, I wonder if it all comes down to being loved. We make choices that we think will inspire people to love us, and inspire one person in particular to love us better than everyone else
that's what's up

Old 07-16-2022, 10:57 PM   #53
slunken
Virgo

Old 07-16-2022, 11:05 PM   #54
slunken
Virgo

i mean there's certainly some self-responsibility that must be going on

at it's heart you're exactly right, but we're not peacocks (are we?) whose sole purpose is to project a life (whatever life that may be) to court a mate are we?

like a part of me feels like you're saying that unless i'm trying to be loved then there's no reason why i should reside in total abasement. that's to say that man is immoral when left alone.

i don't think man is inherently immoral.

just thinking out loud

Old 07-17-2022, 02:31 AM   #55
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:

nice

universal life acceptance

u are a learned one, thanks for these tips

faves

Old 07-17-2022, 05:14 AM   #56
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
& metal

Old 07-17-2022, 09:46 AM   #57
Elphenor
Braindead

myth of Sisyphus

Old 07-17-2022, 10:10 AM   #58
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

is that a new rock band?

Old 07-19-2022, 04:00 PM   #59
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Have chewed over so many tentative replies to this question.

I’ve struggled a lot with this question. Now I see my nearly 17 year old struggling with it. He has some once-in-a-lifetime opportunities on the table, to do things most people can only dream of. But he’s changed a lot since he broke up with his last girlfriend. He wants to be happy and to be left alone and I think he doesn’t see value in many of the things he did before. Because none of those things he worked so hard for could prevent the break up.

Though when we haven’t had a lot of experience loving someone over a long period of time, we probably have a kind of idealistic view of what love is. It took me several relationships of making mistakes before I had the knowledge and perspective to sustain my current relationship. We’ve been together 18 years now. And it won’t last, not forever. One of us will die even if neither one of us leaves the other. But we both make choices to stay together, all the time, every day. And even though it won’t last forever, the point of making those choices is to be together as long as we can.

Damn selfish genes, maybe.

Quote:
I remember piecing myself back together after my worst heartbreak, which had landed me in hospital for a few weeks involuntarily

I asked myself this question about choices and meaning so many times. Eventually I threw all my other uni study aside and switched to become a philosophy major because I couldn’t figure out how to live my life at all, without answering what seemed to be these fundamental questions

It’s so eerie seeing my son go through that same process. I gave him Alain De Botton’s the Consolations of Philosophy as a gift. Now he wants to study philosophy at university when he goes

And I don’t know how to say- you won’t get any of the answers there, that you’re going for. You’ll just end up having to read a bunch of stupid shit like Kant

These are lovely answers.

It's wild that your kids are now 17 year olds starting to become puzzled by life's mysteries. I still remember posts about them from when they were maybe 10 yo or possibly younger.

These posts got me thinking a lot about how despite socialization keeps on trying to shove down our throat that humanity in fact IS one-size-fits-all, every single soul on the planet really is an entire world unto themselves. It's too mind boggling to think about, that every person has their own completely unique life. We all need to make so many decisions, explore so many things, figure out our identity through so many little things. It's all tremendous and seeing your son take on that road, I imagine that must be quite heavy.

I'm not having kids, but I love my nephews to death, and the oldest one is like 12 and he's only juuuust starting to get "it" ever so slightly, and you just wish you could spare them all the lifelong struggles that they cannot not have. But if we're being honest, a person without struggles is usually not anybody worth knowing anyway.

Old 07-19-2022, 04:03 PM   #60
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Btw, your sentiment on what is love (****baby don't hurt me****) is beautiful and touching, and I do agree, but at the most bottom line, hopefully without this seeming too dark, I think there's something profoundly lonely about life, almost tragically so, especially human life, especially modern human life. It is ultimately a solo adventure. We're all "alone".