Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2005, 03:40 AM   #1
chokinzoku
Oblivious Virgin

Default Seattle Show

so, not only was the show fucking great, we got to meet billy and linda no problem. what a good time! shit talkers come forth...

Old 07-19-2005, 03:46 AM   #2
chokinzoku
Oblivious Virgin

Also, for the first time since 96' San Francisco Tibetan Freedom concert did my wife get to give the man a hug and talk shit for well over 2 min. Nice guy overall... funny, for all the shit seattle gets, he received a very warm welcome. The speech at the end was dope. Next time we see the guy it's Pumpkins all the way. That was made VERY clear.

Old 07-19-2005, 04:28 AM   #3
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Seattle review

Alright, well, the Seattle show turned out to be something very special.

I showed up at 4:30am, and was 7th in line. This was a sign of things to come regarding a very warm reception that Billy actually had from Seattle for once. I met a lot of cool people in line... some I knew previously, some I didn't.

After waiting in line for a while, I noticed a tour bus park across the street. Later on, I spotted a second tour bus. I proceeded to meet that one as it parked, and out came Billy, Linda, Matt and Brian.

Billy came out and, rather than saying a few hellos and giving a few autographs, he talked to us as a huge group about the music industry, and what his feelings were regarding his commercial status. He also let us know that he saw Fantastic 4 yesterday, and thought "it was shit." In a good mood, probably having to do with a huge line that had formed way early, he gave out autographs, took pictures with people, then waved goodbye as he went in for his soundcheck.

Crimea, in my opinion, was a very good band. I don't know why people have been hating on them. Doris Henson was great, too.

I was sitting in the front row, which ended up being allowed to stand up against the barricade. I ended up just left of center, in between Billy and Brian, which is the area where Billy did about 5 solos at the edge of stage. I have videos of most of those solos on my cell phone, if anyone wants to help me get them out.

The show was fantastic. For once, Seattle was an amazing crowd... screaming and applauding as though it was the last time they'd ever see him. Because of the good crowd, they proceeded to play a pretty long set... one reflective of some of the better shows during the course of this tour.

At the end of the show, Billy had all the lights come on. A roadie came on to the stage to start packing up, when Billy yelled at him, "Get off my stage." Then he proceeded with a speech to the audience about how great we were tonight, and how it felt really good to be playing in front of such a supportive crowd. He talked about how it's a hard time in this world to be going to concerts, and appreciated our attendence. Then he explained that the next time we saw him would be with the Pumpkins, to which everyone went insane. He then confirmed again that when he returned, it would be to rock as the Pumpkins.

After the show, I managed to sweet talk someone in charge of VIP passes into giving me one. So I went down to the VIP lounge, where they had a full service bar with any drink you wanted, free, along with Billy posters, plus this little booklet that had a long message written from Billy about the album. Everyone from Crimea and Doris Henson were in the VIP room, and then Billy came in, followed by Linda, Brian and Matt. Billy went around to every single person and met with them, talked with them and laughed with them. He also signed lots of autographs. I got a picture with Linda, talked to Matt and the guys from Doris Henson for a bit, had my special-booklet thing signed for my girlfriend, had my poster signed for me, thanked Billy for a tight show, and talked to him about how Seattle and southern California hasn't treated him well in the past. He admitted that it was no mystery that he disliked these two areas due to the way he's been treated there, but that he really loved the crowd tonight in Seattle, and was impressed and appreciative.

I bought the purple goggles shirt, too.

Oh, and fearful of Billy hating his concert in Seattle, again... I cheered and applauded extra loud, which was contagious. And after they left the stage for the first time, I started a "Billy" chant, which the whole venue started chanting. That led to a lot of excited cheer, to which Billy came out and gave us a long encore. It was awesome.

I have lots of great pics and videos that I'll try to post in the morning. But here's a teaser pic:

http://www.reyngel.com/billy.jpeg

And another:

http://www.reyngel.com/billy2.jpeg

And one last one before I head to bed:

http://www.reyngel.com/billy3.jpeg

Last edited by Reyngel : 07-19-2005 at 04:38 AM.

Old 07-19-2005, 04:30 AM   #4
Meladori_Star
Pledge

Yeah billy was in a good/talkative mood with the seattle crowd..before/during/after the show.

he also talked about pumpkins coming back..and that he is going to fucking rock it..or something like th at.

Old 07-19-2005, 05:01 AM   #5
JRiordan
Apocalyptic Poster

Awesome!

Pretty standard setlist? Any rarities of note?

Old 07-19-2005, 05:27 AM   #6
TriHell
Pledge

I just wanted to get out the stuff that Billy said tonight before forgetting and going to sleep. As people have noted, he was rather talkative - wish I had been able to chill with him before or after... if I had, I would have said to him that breaking down is okay.

before the song before breaking before encore, Billy stood there for awhile, said he was bad at awkward conversation, asked, "How are you?", and said finally that he wanted everyone to have a good look at him before he had a nervous breakdown.

At the end of the show, the roadie came on as mentioned, and Billy said get off my stage, then as an aside to crowd remarked, "I don't know who he is, but I'm sure I'm paying him for something"

He then began apologizing for what he felt was only a decent show, saying he wished it could have been better, that it was in no way the crowd's fault, but his own. He then went on to say that it's a strange time in the world, which I think he meant more so that it's a strange time for himself. Amidst this, people yelled out "we love you!" and he replied that love is an easy word to abuse, though he said so with a smile. Then he said the next time we would see him, it would be with the pumpkins (crowd cheers), said then after thanking everyone again that he was sorry again for a "decent" show and that it would be awhile before we would see him in the US again, but that the next time he came around, "it will be fucking on". He then almost picked up the mic again, but put it down with that last statement, waved and left the stage.

Because I didn't talk to him before or after, I don't know what his mood was like, but based on what he was saying on stage, I can only assume Billy is having tough times (probably no big surprise). He seemed a little lost, but warmed by the crowd. I might be wrong, but I think the statements about it only being a "decent" show arose by the total mess the A100 was (played 2nd or 3rd). Something was wrong with a loop or something and I almost thought they were going to stop... But they managed to pull it together.

I'm a little mystified by the whole experience, because I swear I had a dream a year or two ago, that had me watching Billy in a place very much like the Moore (seats causing only a smidgeon of people to line the front barrier), and Billy being somewhat defeated and apologetic.

Weird... and my first post here.

Old 07-19-2005, 07:52 AM   #7
purelight
Amish Rake Fighter

So, does that mean they won't be adding anymore US shows to the tour?

Old 07-19-2005, 10:50 AM   #8
MonteLDS
*sigh*

ya, good show over all. I got about a handful of pics. VERY short video clips

Old 07-19-2005, 12:30 PM   #9
Corgan Rules
Apocalyptic Poster

Did he play Mini?

Old 07-19-2005, 03:06 PM   #10
MisterSquishyHalo
Apocalyptic Poster

I have no clue if he played Mini or not, but the local radio station 107.7 is supposedly playing siamese dream today...the entire album. Not sure if this is for real..but I swear I heard it on the drive home yesterday.

Old 07-19-2005, 04:40 PM   #11
TheJoker
Apocalyptic Poster

That guy from Doris Henson tried to makeout with me. Me and Alicia got into the bar and tried to bring her back to the hotel. The bassist from Crimea kept reminding me I was the guy outside playing guitar. He introduced himself 5 times this way. The singer kept talking about my suit and I gave him a a pair of wonka gloves. He seemed thrilled and introduced me to everyone. I don't know what else to say.

Old 07-19-2005, 04:43 PM   #12
tomthum81
Ownz

Quote:
Originally posted by TheJoker
That guy from Doris Henson tried to makeout with me. Me and Alicia got into the bar and tried to bring her back to the hotel. The bassist from Crimea kept reminding me I was the guy outside playing guitar. He introduced himself 5 times this way. The singer kept talking about my suit and I gave him a a pair of wonka gloves. He seemed thrilled and introduced me to everyone. I don't know what else to say.
are you a chick or a dude?

Old 07-19-2005, 04:45 PM   #13
stellawasadiver
Ownz

my friend said that the lead singer of doris henson was making out with 4 girls at the bar.

Old 07-19-2005, 05:01 PM   #14
TheJoker
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by tomthum81

are you a chick or a dude?
dude.

Old 07-19-2005, 05:05 PM   #15
stellawasadiver
Ownz

:erm :erm

Old 07-19-2005, 05:17 PM   #16
MisterSquishyHalo
Apocalyptic Poster

Maybe the doris henson dude is BI

which one was alicia? DId she wear all black..and had those boots that we're all the way up to her knees or whatever?

We didnt stick around for the after goodness...show ended..we got our butts to minnies for grub and then home.

Old 07-19-2005, 06:44 PM   #17
Meladori_Star
Pledge

I was very impressed with the show. Most of the songs I was hearing for the first time (intentionally) and I'm really glad I've waited to listen to the album. There is just something about hearing a song live before hearing the album version.

I definitely reflect Ammy's sentiment about getting older and still going to rock shows. I was the only one left in line who didn't go mob Billy when he came out of the tour bus. I didn't even want to be there in line. It was too hot and I was grumpy. I had very little interest in chatting with anyone else. Several people pissed me off repeatedly.

By the afternoon, I'd decided to trade my floor ticket to some kid and his friend who had balcony seats. I was doubting my decision all the way into the venue, but once I got there I couldn't have been happier. The view from the front row balcony was GREAT. I didn't have to worry about securing a spot on the rail or stupid people trying to push up front. I actually was able to leave my seat to use the restroom and get a drink between sets. I was comfortable and happy. I was also glad to see the nice young man that I traded tickets with made it up to the front row. Looked like a great time, and I was happy to watch it from my bird's eye view. Billy's always been great about playing to the whole crowd and not just the first few rows.

Everyone talked of how the volume wasn't as loud as past concerts but I still found it deafening. Maybe I'm just getting old. I liked the back ground (<-why did it edit that word?), but I thought my eyes had been burned out of my head by the end.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:54 PM   #18
chokinzoku
Oblivious Virgin

More pics, audio or video please?!

Old 07-20-2005, 02:23 AM   #19
JRiordan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by TheJoker
That guy from Doris Henson tried to makeout with me.
Did he invite you to KANSAS CITY?

I am definitely seeing Doris Henson again --- their bass player fucking rocks.

Old 07-20-2005, 06:15 AM   #20
TheJoker
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by JRiordan

Did he invite you to KANSAS CITY?

I am definitely seeing Doris Henson again --- their bass player fucking rocks.
i hope not. He asked Alicia to the hotel and motioned for me too, but we didn't go. I think he took this writer from the stranger home. Short blonde/pink hair, looked too old for that look, and coked out. Wait, MUST have been a write for the stranger.

Old 07-20-2005, 07:25 PM   #21
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

I have like 10 video clips, but they're from my cell phone, and I don't have a upload cord. So I'd need to video-msg them to someone who can upload them. I have more pics like the ones I posted above, too, which I'll have available asap.

Old 07-21-2005, 03:23 AM   #22
roedmo
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally posted by Reyngel
I have like 10 video clips, but they're from my cell phone, and I don't have a upload cord. So I'd need to video-msg them to someone who can upload them. I have more pics like the ones I posted above, too, which I'll have available asap.
I'm looking forward to that, the pics you already put up are great!

I was standing maybe 5 or 6 feet to the right of where you were, from what your pictures suggest.

Old 07-22-2005, 12:44 PM   #23
MonteLDS
*sigh*

my pics http://66.236.51.227/.seattle/seattle.zip

Old 07-22-2005, 05:53 PM   #24
roedmo
Amish Rake Fighter

Wow, the quality of the pictures and video was amazing!
I was just dissapointed the videos were only a few seconds long, but they were still great!

Old 07-22-2005, 07:47 PM   #25
TheJoker
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by MonteLDS
my pics http://66.236.51.227/.seattle/seattle.zip
Monte? I never expected you there! That was so awesome you showed up. Kevin says hi.