Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 07-21-2005, 07:29 AM   #61
TriHell
Pledge

Dream the dream, don't fall off course.

I'll admit my girly man tendancies and admit I cried for hours when I learned the Smashing Pumpkins were breaking up (I was only 16, give me a break). And a big part of that was that I so desperately wanted them to go out with a bang rather than some convoluted flutter like Machina. I imagine it was sort of like having a drug addiction and suddenly realizing the stash is gone forever. It had been diminishing in direct quality over the years, perhaps as I grew used to the effect of the music, but I wanted them to pull threw and make something as primal and sort of gut-inspired as a Siamese Dream or Melon Collie, just one last thing to enjoy without having to put in a lot of effort to enjoy it. Something to have so that when it blew up big and all the scenesters got into the Pumpkins again, I could spit in their faces and say I was with em the whole time (again, I was 16 at the time).

Anyhow, point is, this is all in response to that line about it never being able to be repeated. With them possibly getting back together, and Billy seeming dispondant and depressed, the dream doesn't need to be given up! Chances for spitting may come!

It's a longshot, but it gives you something to get excited about.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:33 AM   #62
ZEROpumpkins
Apocalyptic Poster

Some people say that if Smashing Pumpkins had never have broken up they would of sold out. I doubt that. Anyway, i'm going.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:35 AM   #63
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

Default Re: uhmmm...

Quote:
Originally posted by '|' jIMMY '|'

We're talkin' about Real Music people.
yawn

Old 07-21-2005, 07:36 AM   #64
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

Quote:
Originally posted by ZEROpumpkins
Some people say that if Smashing Pumpkins had never have broken up they would of sold out. I doubt that. Anyway, i'm going.
in many ways, machina already was a sellout record

Old 07-21-2005, 07:36 AM   #65
'|' jIMMY '|'
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by TriHell
Dream the dream, don't fall off course.

I'll admit my girly man tendancies and admit I cried for hours when I learned the Smashing Pumpkins were breaking up (I was only 16, give me a break). And a big part of that was that I so desperately wanted them to go out with a bang rather than some convoluted flutter like Machina. I imagine it was sort of like having a drug addiction and suddenly realizing the stash is gone forever. It had been diminishing in direct quality over the years, perhaps as I grew used to the effect of the music, but I wanted them to pull threw and make something as primal and sort of gut-inspired as a Siamese Dream or Melon Collie, just one last thing to enjoy without having to put in a lot of effort to enjoy it. Something to have so that when it blew up big and all the scenesters got into the Pumpkins again, I could spit in their faces and say I was with em the whole time (again, I was 16 at the time).

Anyhow, point is, this is all in response to that line about it never being able to be repeated. With them possibly getting back together, and Billy seeming dispondant and depressed, the dream doesn't need to be given up! Chances for spitting may come!

It's a longshot, but it gives you something to get excited about.
I was 20 when the pumpkins broke up.. but the chances of the spitting may come again. It will.
Now, I think by far, a true pumpkinhead on hand. Thanks triHell.
Good!

Old 07-21-2005, 07:40 AM   #66
'|' jIMMY '|'
Apocalyptic Poster

Thumbs up Re: Re: uhmmm...

Quote:
Originally posted by Rockin' Cherub

yawn
Oftentimes, the sarcasm of our fellow pumpkinheads would bring extra joy to all of us.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:41 AM   #67
TriHell
Pledge

Quote:
in many ways, machina already was a sellout record
Heavy metal, heavy metal machine...if I were dead, would my records sell?

Check out that martyrdom... to die for rock and roll... really makes you think.

Old 07-21-2005, 09:34 AM   #68
Quiet
Apocalyptic Poster

If I recall, he had over a million dollars in the bank prior to Siamese Dream thanks to an advance payment from the record company for the album. Personally, I would think that would just add to the pressure of having to create something great.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:53 AM   #69
Mood ring
Banned

well then, the next question is how and why he stepped up to the pressure and delivered...and dont point out its eventual sales because that does go into the culture, music and otherwise, being open to the sound at the time. the weight of the world was on his shoulders, and then maybe he realized he's the one who put it on himself and so...

Old 07-21-2005, 12:24 PM   #70
seign
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Corganist

Siamese Dream was a product of talent, dedication, and inspiration. Pure and simple.
Bingo!

I had written maybe 150-200 words on why SD is probably the closest thing to a perfect album I've ever heard but I think Corganist summed it up pretty well with the above statement.

Siamese dream isn't the most important album to ever come out, but its the closest thing to a perfect album you're probably ever going to hear. Clearly this was the album that was either going to make the band or break the band and out of their drive and desperation, they came up with SD.

Its a very schitzophrenic album with all of the dynamic shifts. I can't really put into words what makes the album so incredible, but thats part of the magic.

Old 07-22-2005, 07:40 AM   #71
TriHell
Pledge

Quote:
well then, the next question is how and why he stepped up to the pressure and delivered...and dont point out its eventual sales because that does go into the culture, music and otherwise, being open to the sound at the time. the weight of the world was on his shoulders, and then maybe he realized he's the one who put it on himself and so...
Aside from all that? Pure dumb luck and maybe divine intervention. It's like asking why Samuel Beckett didn't become a proflific writer until late in his life. Or why the sistine chappel turned out the way it did.

Old 07-22-2005, 08:30 PM   #72
ZEROpumpkins
Apocalyptic Poster

Now that we've answeared the question let's talk about our personal favourite things about SD.